PDA

View Full Version : Did Ron Paul Supporters Cross the Line?

qwerty
01-14-2008, 10:38 PM
The town clerk of Sutton, New Hampshire incurred the wrath of Ron Paul supporters following last week's primary election. Jennifer Call tells the Concord Monitor she somehow ended up recording that Paul received no votes in her town out of the 920 cast. But by the next morning the mistake had been fixed, and Paul received credit for 31 votes.

Call says over the next few hours she received about 40 calls from Paul supporters. Some falsely claimed they were media looking into a story about voter fraud. Others yelled she had committed treason. One said she should be shot. She also received enough calls at home that she locked her doors, unhooked her answering machine and requested an unlisted number.

Of her experience with Paul supporters, Call says — "most of these people are not rational."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,322705,00.html

Is this really how we are going to win the nomination ?

:mad:

uncle saddam
01-14-2008, 10:40 PM
I think it's the nature of the beast, so to speak, with a decentralized grassroots movement.

Some of us need to step back and remember that you're doing this under the good Dr.'s name, so best behave yourselves!

ewizacft
01-14-2008, 10:41 PM
You know what is also not rational?

Giving a candidate zero votes.
Not adding up vote totals.

liberty_Forever
01-14-2008, 10:44 PM
yeah what is also not rational....

working for a major media network (Fox), refusing to exercise "due diligence" and ultimately bankrupting the "4th estate" . I have no sympathy for Hannity, LHS Associates, or Fox. I hope they go bankrupt during the recession.

As for Jennifer Call, someone should send her flowers and thank you note.

AlexMerced
01-14-2008, 10:45 PM
still doesn't excuse rude behavior in the name of the movement, yet it is gonna happen when you have some decentralized with no accountability.

The best way to fix the problem is thorugh education

driller80545
01-14-2008, 10:46 PM

This answer does not address the question.

cien750hp
01-14-2008, 10:49 PM
wait wait wait.
hold on.

she doesn't lock her doors in the first place?
thats not rational.

jrich4rpaul
01-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Can we be sure this story is even true?

I mean, it's Fox...

Young_Apprentice
01-14-2008, 10:51 PM
It's sad, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who called were from here.
I can just imagine some lonely "truther" wearing a tri-cornered hat, wielding a shotgun in one hand, and a phone in the other...

Ron Paul Fan
01-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Some Ron Paul supporters are very irrational and down right lunatics? What else is new. With dedicated Paulites like these spreading the message, it's a wonder how we only finished 5th in New Hampshire...

honkywill
01-14-2008, 10:52 PM
The actions of fox in publishing an article like this are more damaging than anything this handful of radical Paulists could've said.

Of her experience with Paul supporters, Call says — "most of these people are not rational."

This couldn't have been said about any other subgroup of people without igniting a shit-storm of controversy.

From my experience FOX's slanted journalism harms America.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-14-2008, 10:52 PM
When we have 911 truthers and bigfoot people among us, it might happen.

Chill.

Goldwater Conservative
01-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Call says over the next few hours she received about 40 calls from Paul supporters.

Of her experience with Paul supporters, Call says "most of these people are not rational."

40 divided by 130,000 (the number of donors in Q4 of 2007 alone, total supporters probably number much more) = 0.03%. According to Call, "most" = 0.03%. No wonder she screwed up her math.

Anyway, while I do decry the nastiness, I don't see the problem with people being upset. This is a freaking US presidential election. Spare me your sob stories if you're going to be taking on such an awesome responsibility.

honkywill
With dedicated Paulites like these spreading the message, it's a wonder how we only finished 5th in New Hampshire...

If the sanity of their methods is any indication it's a wonder we finished as high as 5th.

biegel
Have you even been to Sutton? Theres no need to lock your door. It's not Los Angeles.
Yes we crossed the line. Now stop making excuses and just own up to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toXtj4slldE
http://wonkette.com/344519/paultards-freak-out-nh-clerk

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-14-2008, 10:55 PM
RP has asked the 911 folks to chill, and I trust they will. We welcome them and appreciate them, but they know as well as we do that RP's election is our first priority.

Ron Paul Fan
01-14-2008, 10:55 PM
If the sanity of their methods is any indication it's a wonder we finished as high as 5th.

Exactly.

Tina
01-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Can we be sure this story is even true?

I mean, it's Fox...

Yeah, it's as newsworthy as the enquirer.

sweetworld731
01-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Well, when the votes were recorded the phone calls probably stopped, right? I agree that there is no reason to call her at her home -- invasion of private space is stepping over the line -- and NO reason to threaten her. Who knows, maybe the calls caused the correction of tallies? We don't know. Not encouraging this extreme behavior, but holding people accountable for the truth when there are so many working against this movement is very important.

In addition, its Fox News reporting, so...so bleh

Rusty John
01-14-2008, 10:57 PM
I think we would have broken into the top 3 if that mob of Ron Paul supporters had beaten the crap out of Sean Hannity.

CountryRoads
01-14-2008, 10:58 PM
This is Fox News folks...Anything they say cannot be taken as fact.

literatim
01-14-2008, 10:59 PM
It's funny how many people believe Fox Noise.

Ron Paul Fan
01-14-2008, 11:02 PM
If you guys had bothered to actually read the article, you'd know that it was reported in the Concord Monitor first. Fox News just picked it up from them. It's funny how many people can't read.

http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080112/FRONTPAGE/801120412

honkywill
01-14-2008, 11:04 PM
reading is overrated.

pcosmar
01-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Did Ron Paul Supporters Cross the Line?

Good question.
Is there any proof? Real proof , not just an allegation.
Were there Threats? or was it just expressions of righteous anger at the incompetence.
Is it blown all out of proportion? Is it yet another smear?
Do we really need another thread a week later?

liberty_Forever
01-14-2008, 11:08 PM
"I think we would have broken into the top 3 if that mob of Ron Paul supporters had beaten the crap out of Sean Hannity."

Are you paying attention? According to the European press, we GOT 3RD. It's only in America that the Diebold nonsense is ignored by the mainstream press. Furthermore, no one touched Sean Hannity! Watch the damn video... sheesh!

Libertyiswinning
01-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Let me tell you.... Since May 3rd, 2007, the news media has been attacking the Ron Paul movement. May 3rd was when the first debate was held. Ron Paul did very well in this debate, and won the post debate poll with 80-90% of the votes. There was also an enormous amount of positive posts for Ron Paul directly after this first debate.

Ron Paul's name ended up being REMOVED from the poll and all of the positive comments deleted. THIS IS WHEN THE NEWS MEDIA BEGAN TO CREATE THIS PASSION YOU FIND IN MANY SUPPORTERS OF Dr Paul.

If one does the research, they would find the proof of ALL of the attacks, smears, etc towards the Ron Paul movement. They literally tried to have him excluded from the second debate(thanks Michael Steele) because they were not happy with his answers.

The liars in the media created the upset you find in Dr. Paul's supporters.

Goldwater Conservative
01-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Yes we crossed the line. Now stop making excuses and just own up to it.

This is not a collective. We are a sea of individuals. I won't own up to what a fringe few took upon themselves to do.

Repeat after me: 0.03%. If that. :)

specsaregood
01-14-2008, 11:23 PM
If you guys had bothered to actually read the article, you'd know that it was reported in the Concord Monitor first. Fox News just picked it up from them. It's funny how many people can't read.

http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080112/FRONTPAGE/801120412

It doesn't matter WHO picked up the story. PROVE they were Ron Paul supporters. I will not be lumped into the same "group" that threatened her.

And it doesn't dismiss the fact that you would be required to believe somebody that just happened to "miss" the votes of a major republican candidate. Sorry, but she is really incompetant or did it on purpose. Either way, she should be out of a job.

DrCap
01-14-2008, 11:30 PM
1). people should always act professionally when 'spreading the good word of Dr. Paul.'
2). it could be mud flinging, get a little thicker skinned, and don't worry about it.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-14-2008, 11:34 PM
1). people should always act professionally when 'spreading the good word of Dr. Paul.'

word.

Ron Paul Fan
01-14-2008, 11:39 PM
It doesn't matter WHO picked up the story. PROVE they were Ron Paul supporters. I will not be lumped into the same "group" that threatened her.

And it doesn't dismiss the fact that you would be required to believe somebody that just happened to "miss" the votes of a major republican candidate. Sorry, but she is really incompetant or did it on purpose. Either way, she should be out of a job.

I didn't lump anybody together. I said some Ron Paul supporters were irrational and lunatics. I'm sure this lady just concoted this whole story to take down Ron Paul from his 5th place perch. It's all a conspiracy. I'm sure people called in who weren't Ron Paul supporters because they are so concerned with a man who finished 5/7. Ron Paul supporters can do no wrong. Some of you are as blind and ignorant as the same American public that you call blind and ignorant. She may be incompetent and may deserve to be fired, but she certainly doesn't deserve to be harassed or shot. Also, like it or not, when people do resort to this behavior it looks bad for all Ron Paul supporters and Ron Paul. It may not be fair, but it's just the way it is.

jlaker
01-14-2008, 11:42 PM
I believe what happened in Sutton county is a terrible. Someone needs to be repremanded and lose their job. Every vote should count and if you can not make sure thant happens then you don't need that job!

Redcard
01-14-2008, 11:48 PM
I believe what happened in Sutton county is a terrible. Someone needs to be repremanded and lose their job. Every vote should count and if you can not make sure thant happens then you don't need that job!

Yes, clearly someone messed up. Accident or not, it was a mistake. It was also caught and certified.

Calling the woman and threatening her life is NOT an american thing to do. The first amendment does not say we get to call people in their homes and harass them, it says we petition THE GOVERNMENT for a redress of greivances.

We're not going to win this if we make Americans think that we're going to threaten to kill people that make mistakes.

Did you ever think that POSSIBLY this woman was just unaware of what happened? That stupidity and ignorance of policy could explain what happened? Jesus people, stop treating EVERYONE who might make a mistake as if they committed a crime, and certainly stop treating them like they committed treason.

Remember, innocent until PROVEN guilty?

And by the way.. to those dipshits who say she committed treason.. read the constitution. Read the law. You cannot commit treason when you are doing the job that you were sworn to do. It's why the president can't be tried for treason either, unless he steps outside the bounds of what he's supposed to do and aids another country.

God damn, we hold ourselves so far back that it's just not going to happen.

lemur
01-14-2008, 11:52 PM
40 divided by 130,000 (the number of donors in Q4 of 2007 alone, total supporters probably number much more) = 0.03%. According to Call, "most" = 0.03%. No wonder she screwed up her math.

Anyway, while I do decry the nastiness, I don't see the problem with people being upset. This is a freaking US presidential election. Spare me your sob stories if you're going to be taking on such an awesome responsibility.

Well, I was here listening when my husband made the call to question the vote. Don't know if he talked to this chick in particular. He certainly didn't call anyone's home number.

As usual he was a complete gentleman. Maybe they're underreporting gentlemen?

Ron LOL
01-14-2008, 11:55 PM

Spin it however you want, but wingnuts like those in the OP (and I absolutely believe they were real RP supporters, not "paid trolls") are one of the biggest reasons that Ron Paul won't win. It has little to do with media conspiracy and damn near everything to do with Ron Paul supporters being largely nutcase assholes who don't know how to deal with people.

Sad but true.

And no, I'm not "one of them." Just telling it how it is.

Redcard
01-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Well, I was here listening when my husband made the call to question the vote. Don't know if he talked to this chick in particular. He certainly didn't call anyone's home number.

As usual he was a complete gentleman. Maybe they're underreporting gentlemen?

Well, of course they are.

If I called your house and got into a conversation with you, and it was perfectly calm and civil, there's not much to report there. But if I called you a treasonous shill, said there was a bullet with your name on it, you'll remember that one ,won't you?

The calm people DON'T GET REMEMBERED.

That's why I'm saying we HAVE to stop this freedom fighter crap. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

People are HURTING RON PAUL when they do that. You can't support RON PAUL and be threatening someone's life.

Yes, governments should be afraid of their people, and not the other way around.

But people are not governments. This woman at home is not the government. Making her afraid of the people is not "patriotism" it's.. well, it's terrorism.

It's causing and inciting terror, and believe me, it'll get reported.

lemur
01-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Well, of course they are.

If I called your house and got into a conversation with you, and it was perfectly calm and civil, there's not much to report there. But if I called you a treasonous shill, said there was a bullet with your name on it, you'll remember that one ,won't you?

The calm people DON'T GET REMEMBERED.

That's why I'm saying we HAVE to stop this freedom fighter crap. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

People are HURTING RON PAUL when they do that. You can't support RON PAUL and be threatening someone's life.

Yes, governments should be afraid of their people, and not the other way around.

But people are not governments. This woman at home is not the government. Making her afraid of the people is not "patriotism" it's.. well, it's terrorism.

It's causing and inciting terror, and believe me, it'll get reported.

I agree with you completely. My husband did NOT call this poor woman's home. He called the town clerk, asked nicely about the vote totals (to confirm internet reports) and said thank you much.

I'm personally horrified that this woman is now in fear of us Paulistas. It's not at all what we need.