PDA

View Full Version : Talking to Muggles

jblosser
07-25-2007, 09:49 AM
For those that aren't aware, there has been some recent academic discussion in libertarian circles about the rather overt hostility toward big government in the Harry Potter books. From Lew Rockwell's site:

Writes F, Moreno: "Check out the attack on compulsory schooling in the new Harry Potter book. The evil death-eaters, after they take over the ministry of magic, make attendance to Hogwarts compulsory, they even outlaw homeschooling.... Combined with all the other stuff on registration of 'mudbloods', the racist witch hunt and arbitrary laws, and the protagonist's dislike for and mistreatment at the hands of government and the author's negative portrayal of most bureaucrats and officials, it looks like a whole generation will have their first encounter with libertarian philosophy thanks to JK Rowling. Dumbledore's take on how power corrupts is too Acton-like to ignore. The mainstream establishment press and their cover-ups are also a big feature. The 'Trace' is an eery reminder of RFID and ID cards. There is even a discussion of property rights and non-aggression, and the justice of Means and Ends are a recurrent theme, with the phrase 'for the greater good' shown as the cloak of evil it is often used as. It really does look like the author has been visiting LRC. Ideas do matter, and it looks like the tide is slowly turning."

This means there are literally millions of people out there who have these ideas in their heads right now. Many of them are children, but many of them are not (and we know there's nothing wrong with reaching out to kids; they have parents after all).

I think most of us probably missed the incredible opportunity of last week to go hand out Ron Paul literature in the bookstore parking lots while people waiting for the new book release. :( But as people you know are reading the book this week, this might be a good place to engage them in conversation.

Kuldebar
07-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Yes, I have seen this subject come up over the years being a Lew Rockwell reader. I agree there is a firm basis for finding the liberty message in the books from what I have seen.

Now, I haven't read any of the books, only watched the movies, but I saw a lot of pro-individualism and anti-authority messages in it. Ant-authority doesn't always have to mean absolutely no respect for order or a hierarchy, but it does mean you are confident to question it and act on your own as Potter and his friends do very often.

Rowlings may not be not be purposefully seek to write a liberty friendly story, but since writing is such a deep and internally motivated activity, it's not to surprising it shows up.

Freedom is popular, after all. And, heroic too, it seems.

richard1984
07-25-2007, 10:11 AM
I've been thinking that same thing. I actually thought that the new movie did an excellent job of bringing these ideas/themes to the forefront. It emphasized some important themes that weren't necessarily front-and-center in the book. The movie is definitely a product of the times. It really reminded me of the Ron Paul Revolution, and so forth. So I was pleasantly surprised.

angelatc
07-25-2007, 10:32 AM
I think most of us probably missed the incredible opportunity of last week to go hand out Ron Paul literature in the bookstore parking lots while people waiting for the new book release. :(

Speak for yourself! I hit the Borders and the grocery store that stayed open late to sell copies.

"The Half Blood Prince" contains a pretty openly scathing description of the President. And for the record, her books are absolutely brilliant .