PDA

View Full Version : Hire James Carville NOW poll...

Thrashertm
01-14-2008, 05:54 PM
I saw in the "constructive criticism" thread a suggestion to hire James Carville, even if it cost $2 million for the next few months.

Personally I think that's the best idea out of the lot, as he would bring presidential campaign experience and a proven track record, along with credibility and media attention to RP's campaign. Look at what happened when Huckabee signed Ed Rollins.

parocks
01-14-2008, 05:58 PM
I saw in the "constructive criticism" thread a suggestion to hire James Carville, even if it cost $2 million for the next few months.

Personally I think that's the best idea out of the lot, as he would bring presidential campaign experience and a proven track record, along with credibility and media attention to RP's campaign. Look at what happened when Huckabee signed Ed Rollins.

Can someone post a poll on this?

"Hire James Carville as campaign director?" Yes/No.

Carville wouldn't do it, the whole Democrat / Republican thing.

rooteroa
01-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Maybe, but Republicans associate Carville with the Democrats more than almost anyone else. He's the face of evil democrat!

Thrashertm
01-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Carville wouldn't do it, the whole Democrat / Republican thing.

I know he's a Dem, but he's a hired gun that goes to the highest bidder. He's a mean bulldog sonofabitch and we could really use some ruthless kick-ass right now in this campaign.

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 06:01 PM
His wife Mary Matilin would:) She is just as viscious:)
And a repub strategist!!!

Thrashertm
01-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Maybe, but Republicans associate Carville with the Democrats more than almost anyone else. He's the face of evil democrat!

Look, supposedly anti-war independents voted for McCain in NH. Do you really think they will know about one of RP's adviser? I think you give them too much credit.

Carville is great at the game of spin - he worked for the spin-master (Bill Clinton)

Thrashertm
01-14-2008, 06:02 PM

Hire em both!!!!

rooteroa
01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Look, supposedly anti-war independents voted for McCain in NH. Do you really think they will know about one of RP's adviser? I think you give them too much credit.

Carville is great at the game of spin - he worked for the spin-master (Bill Clinton)

Depends on how visible he is. He has a distinctive face. :P

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Hire em both!!!!

thats what I recommended after NH....could be expensive???

frasu
01-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Hire em both!!!!

+1

alaric
01-14-2008, 06:05 PM

Can someone post a poll on this?

"Hire James Carville as campaign director?" Yes/No.

I don't trust him! With all the slime he has backed, he could stab Ron in the back! A BIG NO on this

slacker921
If he really wanted to take on a challenge and have a wild ride.. this would be his chance. hehe..
odds of him being willing to are probably zilch though.

"we could really use some ruthless kick-ass right now in this campaign." - that's what it's going to take to make this thing roll.

angrydragon
Sometimes I wonder if Dr. Paul still stuck in the LP race mode, hiring pretty much the same people in the LP.

Abegweit
01-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Carville works for the Clinton campaign. Any other ideas?

FireofLiberty
01-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Carville is part of the Clinton machine and always will be.

angrydragon
01-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Hire Frank Luntz to get FOX viewers to vote for Dr. Paul.

stevedasbach
01-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Carville will NEVER work for a Republican.

Vizacar
Actually I saw someone interview him when speculation was Clinton was finished and he said he might help her.

Dlynne

But didn't she lose out to Clinton? I forget.

Damn, I wonder if Rollins was available before he went to Huckabee.

steph3n
01-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Mary works for Thompson.
Carville works for Clinton.

TexMac
01-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Damn, I wonder if Rollins was available before he went to Huckabee.Yes, he was.

FreeTraveler
01-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Hmm...

Let me see now...

You're ready to tell Ron Paul, our Presidental Candidate, how to run his campaign...

...and you can't figure out how to post your own poll???

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thrashertm
01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
thats what I recommended after NH....could be expensive???

The cost of Carville and Matalin - $2M for 2 months
The cost of another 2 months of war in Iraq - $24 billion (conservatively), and hundreds dead and wounded
The cost of a Ron Paul Presidency - priceless

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Who else is out there------think

Dlynne
01-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Hire em both!!!!

I second this! Chip-in, anyone?

TexMac
01-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Roger Stone

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Maybe we could woo Matilin away from Thompson??

Dlynne
Yes, he was.

Oh, shucks. Can you imagine the PR glow of having Regan's campaign guy onboard? Damn!

Dave Wood
Texmac---who is Roger Stone? Forgive my ignorance.

dude58677
Who else is out there------think

Trevor Lyman

Thrashertm
Carville will NEVER work for a Republican.

I think he would work for RP for two reasons.

1. RP is running against the GOP establishment which is really what Carville hates.
2. Carville is a mercenary, that would sell his own mother for a jelly donut.

TexMac
01-14-2008, 06:27 PM
He actually said he would work for the Paul campaign before Huckabee's campaign snapped him up. Of course, no one took him up on it.

Dlynne
01-14-2008, 06:28 PM
I think he would work for RP for two reasons.

2. Carville is a mercenary, that would sell his own mother for a jelly donut.

Well, obviously, Carville is the man we need. :D

Thrashertm
He actually said he would work for the Paul campaign before Huckabee's campaign snapped him up. Of course, no one took him up on it.

But it feels like the campaign is being run like a cub scout troop. They have $20M - hire some frickin big guns!!!!!

TexMac
Texmac---who is Roger Stone? Forgive my ignorance.

http://reason.tv/video/show/212.html (Talks about RP about a third of the way in or so.) (http://reason.tv/video/show/212.html)

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Utilities/printer_preview.asp?idArticle=14278&R=1163B14EEB

http://www.stonezone.com/

Dlynne

Excuse me and don't look while I tear my hair out.

dude58677
01-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Why not hire Trevor Lyman?

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 06:30 PM
http://reason.tv/video/show/212.html (Talks about RP about a third of the way in or so.) (http://reason.tv/video/show/212.html)

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Utilities/printer_preview.asp?idArticle=14278&R=1163B14EEB

http://www.stonezone.com/

Where in the eff is he? Can we get him?

Thrashertm
01-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Well, obviously, Carville is the man we need. :D

No more tip-toeing around like a lilly-livered red-headed step-child. This campaign needs to get tough.

Yesterday I drove 2+ hours to MI to knock on doors for RP, in 6" of slush and snowing the whole time. It feels like the official campaign is sitting around on their fannies eating bon bons.

Maybe they are truly too busy to respond to the grass roots or accomplish much of anything else. FINE. Further evidence that RP needs to hire campaign staff that understand how to hire more staff and delegate responsibilities. Sheesh!

TexMac
01-14-2008, 06:32 PM
He lives in NY and Florida. Can we get him? I don't know.

I don't think we can call up and say, "Hi, we post on the internet about Ron Paul and we'd like to hire you."

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 06:34 PM
He lives in NY and Florida. Can we get him? I don't know.

I don't think we can call up and say, "Hi, we post on the internet about Ron Paul and we'd like to hire you."

What if we called and said we have access to a lot of money and we think we may need your services.....are you willing to talk to us?

TexMac
01-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Well, we're losing as things are, so could it hurt?

evadmurd
01-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Hire em both!!!!

They could have a team project together, write a book on the ideal political marriage AND get RP up in the polls.

Ideal situation. Do it...do it....do it.

Dlynne
01-14-2008, 06:42 PM
We can't hire him for the Paul campaign....only the Paul campaign can do their hiring.

Maybe we can hire them to direct grassroots, though.

I do wish hope and pray that the Paul campagin hires some big gun for itself, though. :( It is our only hope now.

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Well, we're losing as things are, so could it hurt?

I dont think so.

The best thing we could do right now is pull a bio(what he has done), post it on the forums in a poll asking if "Ron Paul was to hire this man to take over, would the grassroots start donating to cover the bill?"

Dlynne
01-14-2008, 06:45 PM

Trevor is, I am sure, a great guy and put up a wonderful website. I would not call him a big gun campaign strategist, though.

TexMac
01-14-2008, 06:45 PM
Better see if he's available first. And keep racking your brains for more names in case he isn't.

steph3n
01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Trevor is, I am sure, a great guy and put up a wonderful website. I would not call him a big gun campaign strategist, though.

No please don't hire Trevor, he's a good guy but not what we need.

DrZ
01-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I sent an email to the campaign a long time ago with the suggestion to hire Carville, Rollins, or a similar experienced campaign strategist/manager. No response. Losing Rollins to Huckabee, when the money was there, was a big strategic mistake. Now Huckabee's campaign is presenting a stolen & repackaged version of Ron Paul's message, sanitized for the neo-con crowd.

bucfish
01-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Do you not get it none of those people would really work for RP he is a threat to all that they have achieved in the Good Ol' Boy system that went to Washington!!!

Dlynne
01-14-2008, 06:54 PM
I sent an email to the campaign a long time ago with the suggestion to hire Carville, Rollins, or a similar experienced campaign strategist/manager. No response. Losing Rollins to Huckabee, when the money was there, was a big strategic mistake. Now Huckabee's campaign is presenting a stolen & repackaged version of Ron Paul's message, sanitized for the neo-con crowd.

This makes me furious. For crying out loud. And Huckabee is chasing them in the polls, too. :mad:

ClayTrainor
01-14-2008, 06:55 PM
This is one of the better idea's i've heard in a long time!

Where can we contact him?

TexMac
They work for money.

davidkachel
Are you nuts???
James Carville is a leftist's leftist. He can't even spell Constitution and he doesn't exactly strike me as the most ethical person on earth. Ron Paul would probably kill him in the first hour.

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 06:58 PM
His phone number on the site is 305-725-0664

Roger Stone....what is the safest plan here? Suppose we call and he is available, wants to take it. then what? Will the campaign knock him out of it and make us look like fools?

This guy seems HARDENED and what we need right now. Help...should we pursue him w/o HQ ok?

steph3n
01-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Roger Stone is a Republican campaign consultant [1] and lobbyist in the United States frequently involved in scandal.[2]

He is described, depending on the preferences of the describer, as a "veteran political strategist" or a "long-time dirty tricks operative". He does not dispute either description. He has admitted to committing dirty tricks as a young staffer in Richard Nixon's re-election campaign in 1972 and to helping bribe a New York political figure in the 1980 presidential election.[2]

In 1990, The New York Times described him as a "renowned infighter" [3] and during the 2004 United States Presidential Campaign, CBS News described Stone as a "veteran Republican strategist" [4].

John P Slevin
01-14-2008, 07:01 PM
This is an idiotic thread.

Only someone whose total knowledge of campaigns comes from television would consider this a good idea or even something which could happen.

Idiotic.

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Roger Stone is a Republican campaign consultant [1] and lobbyist in the United States frequently involved in scandal.[2]

He is described, depending on the preferences of the describer, as a "veteran political strategist" or a "long-time dirty tricks operative". He does not dispute either description. He has admitted to committing dirty tricks as a young staffer in Richard Nixon's re-election campaign in 1972 and to helping bribe a New York political figure in the 1980 presidential election.[2]

In 1990, The New York Times described him as a "renowned infighter" [3] and during the 2004 United States Presidential Campaign, CBS News described Stone as a "veteran Republican strategist" [4].

Whats your point Steph?

We need dirty............thats how they have treated us and RP?

mkrfctr
01-14-2008, 07:07 PM
You know what I don't care if it takes a Tonya Harding to pull this thing off - speaking of which, she's prolly free ... or is she in jail? hmm

anyway, do what it takes to get it done - the alternative is so so so much worse that yes sometimes the ends do justify the means, especially when the means isn't even that bad

steph3n
01-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Whats your point Steph?

We need dirty............thats how they have treated us and RP?

interesting, he says he is a libertarian :)
http://reason.tv/video/show/212.html

TexMac
01-14-2008, 07:14 PM
He might do it just for the entertainment value. And a couple million, of course.

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 07:20 PM
c`mon guys...whats the consensus here? Do we introduce Roger Stone to the forums and ask "would you pay" or should we go another way?

JS4Pat
01-14-2008, 07:21 PM

She is working for Fred Thompson.

TexMac
01-14-2008, 07:24 PM
We already donated 20 million +. Are you talking about hiring him outside the campaign?

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Yeah, we know JS...unfortunatley.....what about Roger Stone? What do you think? Your opinion means a lot considering you you were part of the Buchanan campaign......what think yee:)

steph3n
01-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah, we know JS...unfortunatley.....what about Roger Stone? What do you think? Your opinion means a lot considering you you were part of the Buchanan campaign......what think yee:)

I kinda like him after doing some research :D

well versed guy

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 07:30 PM
We already donated 20 million +. Are you talking about hiring him outside the campaign?

Tex, I dunno....we are still supposed to be raising money for the next "phase" whatever that is. We seem to be able to raise funds for things quickly when everyone is onboard.......can this help us win?

The main campaign is (dont know how to describe them) maybe not willing to win as much as we are willing to win.

Maybe we should just set up a meeting between Stone and Paul???:confused:

TexMac
01-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Stone worked for RP in '76, so they know one another.

I have no crystal ball about how this might turn out, but I think someone like Stone might be able to handle the Kirchiks of this world pretty well.

Will Ron go for it? Who knows?

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 08:04 PM
I am sick and tired of begging for media attention! Arent you? Why dont we consider bringing in a person that will gaurantee us media coverage...good and bad?

Badger Paul
01-14-2008, 08:04 PM
God it must be fun to fantasize.

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 08:06 PM
God it must be fun to fantasize.

No fantasy here Badger....this is real! We are working on it!;)

Hook
01-14-2008, 08:53 PM
I'll bet that if they hired Carville, they could get a moneybomb to pay his whole fee the next day.
We would all be ecstatic enough to probably do it in a few hours.

parocks
01-14-2008, 09:00 PM
I know he's a Dem, but he's a hired gun that goes to the highest bidder. He's a mean bulldog sonofabitch and we could really use some ruthless kick-ass right now in this campaign.

What Republican has he worked for?

frasu
01-14-2008, 09:01 PM

that would be one of the best things in a while for the campaign... Do you people that know people, or what?

the shock and awe on media worked a bit with money bombs, blimps and so forth but we need a political pitbull in our corner...

Ron LOL
01-14-2008, 09:06 PM
James Carville is a hired gun. He'd do it for sure.

Edit: seriously, I think Carville would have a fun time ripping the GOP a new one in a slightly different way.

NMCB3
01-14-2008, 09:09 PM

Personally I think that's the best idea out of the lot, as he would bring presidential campaign experience and a proven track record, along with credibility and media attention to RP's campaign. Look at what happened when Huckabee signed Ed Rollins.RP is running for the republican nomination remember? To republicans Carville is the devil. They hear his loud obnoxious mouth and think of Bill Clinton. They already say he is more like a democrat than a republican, it would be the final nail in his coffin. This is one of the lamest ideas I`ve heard yet.

colecrowe
01-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Probably too expensive.

Marc3579
01-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I dunno if I'd go with Carville to be honest. he's a hired-goon yes, but, that would make RP look like he's pandering to the crossover Dems then.

Ron LOL
01-14-2008, 09:16 PM
I dunno if I'd go with Carville to be honest. he's a hired-goon yes, but, that would make RP look like he's pandering to the crossover Dems then.

I get the impression he's the "you say it, you pay me, I do it" type, and that as such he could competently deliver the liberty message.

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 09:18 PM
We arent talking about Carville. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ROGER STONE! Look him up....ruthless.

Want some payback and a shot at the nomination........HERES YOUR GUY!

Marc3579
01-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Ehhhhh I agree there Ron... I'll concede that he may do it... But, I'm not sure if that's who want for the adviser...

austin356
01-14-2008, 09:22 PM
I saw Mary speak last friday. She is a good speaker and seems like a very competent woman. James on the other hand............ well all I could think of was why the HELL did she marry HIM!!! I like her, but dont have enough faith in either of them to say a sure yes or no.

Trevor Lyman

To both of you; UGH NO.

Trevor has NEVER VOTED BEFORE let alone have the qualifications to run a campaign. I send absolutely zero dollars to such a campaign. Hell Kent Snyder is better than Trevor.

Rede
01-14-2008, 09:37 PM
To paraphrase:

RP is running for the republican nomination remember? To republicans Carville is the devil. [...] it would be the final nail in [Paul's] coffin.

frasu
01-14-2008, 09:41 PM
true, he could be too much of a democrat to even consider this... non the less it would help to have a good manager/adviser

But it was in 1991 when Carville and Begala rose to national attention, leading appointed incumbent Senator Harris Wofford of Pennsylvania back from a 40-point poll deficit over White House hand-picked candidate Dick Thornburgh. Also noteworthy is that Wofford's campaign was where the "it's the economy, stupid" strategy used by Bill Clinton in 1992 was first implemented. Carville has since stopped working on domestic campaigns, stating that he would bring unneeded publicity, but he has worked on a number of foreign campaigns, including those of Prime Minister Tony Blair of the United Kingdom, Ehud Barak of Israel's Labor Party, and the Liberal Party of Canada. In 2002, Carville worked to help American-educated Bolivian Gonzalo Sánchez de Lozada win the presidency in Bolivia.

In 2004, he was brought in for last-minute consulting on Senator John Kerry's Presidential campaign, but he did not play a major role.

In 2005, Carville took a stab at teaching. He taught a semester of the course "Topics in American Politics" at Northern Virginia Community College. Among the guests he had come speak to the class were Al Hunt, Mark Halperin, Senator George Allen, George Stephanopoulos, Karl Strubel, Stan Greenberg, Tony Blankley, representatives from the Motion Picture Association of America, James Fallows, and frequent appearances from his wife, Mary Matalin

Dlynne
01-14-2008, 09:45 PM

Well, we need Stone too. Grassroots will have to hire him though for grassroots. We can't hire someone on behalf of the campaign.

Dlynne
01-14-2008, 09:48 PM

I want to help! Let me in.....

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 09:53 PM
I want to help! Let me in.....

Were working on it.....

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Contacts are being made...anyone know the best way to reach RP directly?

Stealth4
01-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Hire em both!!!!

his office is near me. I met him at starbucks once.

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 10:12 PM
his office is near me. I met him at starbucks once.

Stealth, who is close to you? We need to get info to RP directly.....do you know how?

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Well, we need Stone too. Grassroots will have to hire him though for grassroots. We can't hire someone on behalf of the campaign.

We dont know that.....sssshhhh!

free.alive
01-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I hear some people complaining that Dr. Paul has people in his campaign working against him now. Do You think this guy would REALLY work his hardest and do his best to achieve a ROn Paul victory??

Didn't think so.

Dave Wood
01-14-2008, 10:34 PM
I hear some people complaining that Dr. Paul has people in his campaign working against him now. Do You think this guy would REALLY work his hardest and do his best to achieve a ROn Paul victory??

Didn't think so.

Be careful they know each other from long ago. We`ll see. Do you have anyone better in mind?

ConstitutionReinstitution
01-14-2008, 10:39 PM
you got to be f'n sh______g me. this is a spoof, right?
that two-faced, lying, sleazbag, SOB that supported the Clintons? And if Dr. Paul wins the nomination, he could be running against the Clintons? You want to lose what little Republican support we got? :mad:

sweetworld731
01-14-2008, 10:44 PM
something needs to happen from the campaign. right now all is see is grassroots efforts -- spending a few million for a named strategist would make the news and wouldn't hurt (as long as we pick someone legit)

Thrashertm
01-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Yes, I know that Carville is not a good fit, and that his reputation is for being a Clinton stooge. I think the point here is that we are so dissatisfied with the current campaign staff that we will look even to Carville to provide the Kick In The Ass that the campaign so disparately needs.

Swmorgan77
01-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Are you kidding me? Hire Carville and Matalin? It doesn't get more establishment that those 2 hacks!

Stealth4
01-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Stealth, who is close to you? We need to get info to RP directly.....do you know how?

Carville - he has an office in alexandria, va.

Campaign office is near me as well, but you cant get a message to RP that way. Not easily.