PDA

View Full Version : SHY PEOPLE: You can be a Precinct Leader too!

jrich4rpaul
01-14-2008, 05:08 PM
http://voters.ronpaul2008.com

Some may be reluctant to be a Precinct Leader because they do not want to make phone calls or go door to door. Some are shy, some just don't have time.

Simple solution: Use the Precinct Leader database to find Independent/Republican voters in your area, print up a short, simple, polite letter with information about Ron Paul and mail it out! Also include a slim jim if you'd like.

I'd suggest the letter be written as if you were talking to your grandmother. You don't know the age of the people you're mailing to, so be polite and write something that's fitting to all age groups.

This is also a way to prevent from calling people during supper or at a bad time. People will be more likely to sit down and read in peace than listen to a phone call or someone at their door.

I have written a letter I will be happy to share with everyone. PM me with your e-mail so I can send it as an attachment. I have also made a flyer http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/epiphany809/ronfly2.jpg

Who can be a Precinct Leader? ANYONE!

Is a Precinct Leader like a delegate? NO! All you do is sign up and tell registered voters in your area about Ron Paul.

Precinct Leaders DOUBLE THE VOTE! Proof:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=92921

Letter mailing tips:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=93888

Lord Xar
01-14-2008, 05:10 PM
thanks.. I am by nature a shy person... thanks for putting this out there.

JUST BECAUSE OF YOUR POST, I will sign up --- seriously.. I intended to earlier, but like you said - 'some of us are shy'..

I am gonna do it today...

thanks,
dean

t3rmin
01-14-2008, 05:12 PM
I'd do that but postage is so darn expensive.

I'm just going to try to overcome the shyness and get out there. I'm not afraid to say it scares the crap out of me, though.

jrich4rpaul
01-14-2008, 05:12 PM

JUST BECAUSE OF YOUR POST, I will sign up --- seriously.. I intended to earlier, but like you said - 'some of us are shy'..

thanks,
dean

I'm shy too, which is why I was reluctant to sign up as well. But after I joined and looked through the database, I thought "I can just write letters"

WilliamC
01-14-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not really shy, just not much of a joiner. But I took the plunge.

get to it folks. as someone in here said earlier today all that matters now is money, votes, and delegates. I'm at least going for two out of three.

subdefective
01-14-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm shy too, and I also can't afford to send the thousands of people in my precint a letter, so my plan is to do some lit drops. Just stick a pamphlet over their door handle or in their fence. I know I at least glance at everything that's left on my door, so I am sure many people also read literature that is left for them. Also, I am generally from the outset confrontational to people that show up on my doorstep wanting to peddle me things, whether it is a product to buy or a political ideal to believe in. I like to be left alone to relax when I am at home, because I don't get much time here. Perhaps that's just me, but in order to not be a hypocrite I can't find it in me to bother my neighbors.

Just don't stick stuff in mailboxes unless it's actually been mailed, because I think it's illegal to stick non-mailed things in them.

jrich4rpaul
01-14-2008, 05:17 PM

I'm just going to try to overcome the shyness and get out there. I'm not afraid to say it scares the crap out of me, though.

Stamp-wise it would be about 42 bucks per 100 letters.

42 dollars to educate 100 people seems fair to me. Nothing worth having is free.

MJfromCT
01-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Okay I am shy and your message inspired me and I have signed up just now. I will write letters and probably do some door to door in the final week.

jrich4rpaul
01-14-2008, 05:24 PM
I hope this idea gets spread around because it seems to help. Good to see some new signups :)

JonathanR
01-14-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm sort of shy, but more than that I've been told I give off a "something's not quite right with you" vibe, and have always feared I would hurt the campaign. Because of that I haven't signed up for the Precinct Leader movement. However thanks to this very post, I am going to reconsider that. Thanks!

robert4rp08
01-14-2008, 05:28 PM
The shyness wears of after a few face to face encounters. I took the plunge by going to New Hampshire and making phone calls (which I hate) and canvassing (which I also hate). But it became easier the more I did it. Just be friendly and courteous. If you interrupted their dinner, just apologize and leave; don't try to leave literature, it will just go in the trash. just try another time.

kirkblitz
01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Any specific letters we should be sending or should they be hand written?

jrich4rpaul
01-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Any specific letters we should be sending or should they be hand written?

I'll be sending self-typed up letters so it saves time and ads a personal touch. I figure I'll start with "My name is James Richard and I'm a volunteer for the Ron Paul for President campaign."

Then a short paragraph on my opinion of him, then a summary of his views and voting history, then a short conclusion asking for their vote.

I might also include slim jims.

ClayTrainor
01-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Man, i wish all of our supporters would realize how important this is!

amy31416
01-14-2008, 05:40 PM

Some may be reluctant to be a Precinct Leader because they do not want to make phone calls or go door to door.

Simple solution: Use the Precinct Leader database to find Independent/Republican voters in your area, print up a short, polite letter with information about Ron Paul and mail it out!

I'd suggest the letter be written as if you were talking to your grandmother. You don't know the age of the people you're mailing to, so be polite and write something that's fitting to all age groups.

This is also a way to prevent from calling people during supper and having them associate Ron Paul with angry thoughts, lol

Thanks for putting this out there, I've been trying to say that it's not so bad for us types, and you were far more effective.

jrich4rpaul
01-14-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm shy too, and I also can't afford to send the thousands of people in my precint a letter, so my plan is to do some lit drops. Just stick a pamphlet over their door handle or in their fence. I know I at least glance at everything that's left on my door, so I am sure many people also read literature that is left for them. Also, I am generally from the outset confrontational to people that show up on my doorstep wanting to peddle me things, whether it is a product to buy or a political ideal to believe in. I like to be left alone to relax when I am at home, because I don't get much time here. Perhaps that's just me, but in order to not be a hypocrite I can't find it in me to bother my neighbors.

Just don't stick stuff in mailboxes unless it's actually been mailed, because I think it's illegal to stick non-mailed things in them.

I'm the same way. I'm more likely to read something left on my front step than sit through a phone call or talk to someone at my door.

Gertie
01-14-2008, 05:56 PM
I wasn't sure being a precinct leader would work for me since I am deaf and cannot really use the phone, plus talking at the door is just asking for too much trouble with misunderstood words. I thought about letters, but wasn't sure whether that was an acceptable alternative. This thread may make me reconsider now though!

cheese
01-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Also, I am generally from the outset confrontational to people that show up on my doorstep wanting to peddle me things, whether it is a product to buy or a political ideal to believe in. I like to be left alone to relax when I am at home, because I don't get much time here. Perhaps that's just me, but in order to not be a hypocrite I can't find it in me to bother my neighbors.

It's true some people don't like to be bothered at home - but old/retired people absolutely love it. A visitor will make their day.

Jae0
01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
The mailing letters idea is brilliant. Good job!

I'm sort of shy, but more than that I've been told I give off a "something's not quite right with you" vibe, and have always feared I would hurt the campaign. Because of that I haven't signed up for the Precinct Leader movement. However thanks to this very post, I am going to reconsider that. Thanks!

You dont give off that vibe at all. :p

kirkblitz
01-14-2008, 06:04 PM
up

Young_Apprentice
01-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks for this thread. I'm very shy and have been using that as an excuse to not sign up, but I just now signed up after rethinking my priorities. Ron Paul>shyness

kirkblitz
01-14-2008, 06:44 PM
What do you think about just mailing slim jims instead of letters?

JonathanR
01-14-2008, 06:50 PM
What do you think about just mailing slim jims instead of letters?

Couldn't hurt.

PathIveMade
01-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Okay I am shy and your message inspired me and I have signed up just now. I will write letters and probably do some door to door in the final week.

Good to hear, we need more people out there doing this!
On another note MJfromCT I believe the quote in your signature should be attributed to Thomas Jefferson, as opposed to Thomas Paine. :)

jp5065
01-14-2008, 06:59 PM

you could drive around and sick em in peoples mail boxes

RPatTheBeach
01-14-2008, 07:01 PM
My primary is in 5 days. I'm sure there isn't anything left to be done that hasn't already. And I'm not an in-your-face type of person.

PathIveMade
01-14-2008, 07:02 PM

That's illegal... if you get caught. :)

LukeNM
01-14-2008, 07:02 PM
First-Class Mail® Postcards ($0.26 each)
Maximum size: 6 inches long by 4-1/4 inches high...

osofaux
01-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Maybe this should be a sticky? I mean, this thread seems a lot more constructive than the post suggesting that people not donate to the campaign, and that was made a sticky.

lly4now
01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Do you guys have any recommendations on mass-producing the destination addresses on envelopes?

MJfromCT
01-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks PathIveMade

LukeNM
01-14-2008, 07:18 PM
You can do mail merge with MS-Word depending on the format of the data file...

JonathanR
01-14-2008, 07:19 PM
You can do mail merge with MS-Word edpending on the format of the data file...

I just pulled all my data into excel :cool:

CTAC
01-14-2008, 07:25 PM
I wish I were just shy and busy. But besides being shy, having three little children and working overtime, English is not my native language. On top of that I do not have a US citizenship. Yet I'm a precinct captain in California.

What helped me to get out and start going door-to-door:
1. http://www.ronpaulreveres.com/ Great training videos and materials.
2. http://ronpaul.meetup.com I joined other people who were already going D2D for one day.

I feel responsibility for my children who were born here, and may choose to live in this country for all their lives. However, if things do not go very well here, I always have an option to go back to my country, where I still have a house and many friends. Most of you do not have that luxury, and this might be your last chance to change things here.

stown
01-14-2008, 07:28 PM
My primary is in 5 days. I'm sure there isn't anything left to be done that hasn't already. And I'm not an in-your-face type of person.

Great idea!
Ours is in five days as well. Anyone have a letter started I can steal/edit?

If I get it in the mail tomorrow, they will have it by Friday. We caucus on Saturday.

Also, although it is time intensive, if you can hand address, it will be more likely to be opened. I could get out quite a few if I didn't have to take the time to compose a good letter. Some people on our list are good candidates for a letter such as this.

Help!

ShowMeLiberty
01-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Maybe this should be a sticky? I mean, this thread seems a lot more constructive than the post suggesting that people not donate to the campaign, and that was made a sticky.

+1

Definitely sticky this thread - please. :)

Gertie
01-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Great idea!
Our is in five days as well. Anyone have a letter started I can steal/edit?

If I get it in the mail tomorrow, they will have it by Friday. We caucus on Saturday.

Also, although it is time intensive, if you can hand address, it will be more likely to be opened. I could get out quite a few if I didn't have to take the time to compose a good letter. Some people on our list are good candidates for a letter such as this.

Help!

Ditto, I just signed up myself, and have been pondering how best to get stuff out to my precinct, plus trying to find sample letters others have made to get some ideas because time is so short.

I may mail some and leave others on porches. Anyone know where/if there are any downloadable templates with nice campaign letterheads we can use?

krott5333
01-14-2008, 07:51 PM
EDIT: EVERYONE SHOULD BE A PRECINCT CAPTAIN!

Give me one good reason why you shouldnt!

stown
01-14-2008, 07:58 PM
unless you are in a wheelchair, deaf, dumb, blind, or just so incredibly ugly you would be a detriment to the campaign, no one has any reason NOT TO sign up for precinct captain.

No reason to be incredibly ugly with your post. You have no knowledge of other's abilities.

alien
01-14-2008, 08:00 PM

thanks,
dean

you're shy with a name like LORD XAR? lol

alien
01-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Stamp-wise it would be about 42 bucks per 100 letters.

42 dollars to educate 100 people seems fair to me. Nothing worth having is free.

Of course it is worth it if it helps win the election. The problem is $42 may not be alot to you but it is to some people. People seem to keep mentioning stuff like this about donations too. Like, "Why don't we have a money bomb for $100? Everyone can afford $100 for our freedom."

Just please keep that in mind that everyone has a different living situation.:D

Soccrmastr
01-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Even if you cant do much just sign up. Several precinct leaders are allowed per precinct (or so I hear) so it doesn't matter even if you sign up and do little.

Gertie
01-14-2008, 08:22 PM
unless you are in a wheelchair, deaf, dumb, blind, or just so incredibly ugly you would be a detriment to the campaign, no one has any reason NOT TO sign up for precinct captain.

No one who's for liberty and has at least a modicum of verbal or written communication skills has any excuse not to help out however they can, IMO. Comments like the above may just push away would-be volunteers who could have been assets.

It would be GREAT to see canvassers and volunteers who use wheelchairs, hearing aids, or white canes. One demographic this movement could probably use more of (besides women), is individuals who are living with disabilities.
And, as I said before, I'm deaf, and I have signed up as a captain due to this thread, since I found out being a cap'n need not confine me to communication by going to doors or calling.

BreakYourChains
01-14-2008, 08:25 PM

Be careful and check the laws. I believe it is against the law to put ANYTHING in a mailbox that does not have postmark on it, which means something delivered by the post office only. You can put things in boxes under the mailbox like newspaper boxes I think, but nothing in the mailbox. Check the law, but I think this is right, so you don't want to do this under any circumstances.

alien
01-14-2008, 08:27 PM
No one who's for liberty and has at least a modicum of verbal or written communication skills has any excuse not to help out however they can, IMO. Comments like the above may just push away would-be volunteers who could have been assets.

It would be GREAT to see canvassers and volunteers who use wheelchairs, hearing aids, or white canes. One demographic this movement could probably use more of (besides women), is individuals who are living with disabilities.
And, as I said before, I'm deaf, and I have signed up as a captain due to this thread, since I found out being a cap'n need not confine me to communication by going to doors or calling.

I think a lot of people on this forum shoot off stuff without really thinking about who they could offend. Obviously, they are not intentional, it just happens. Good job on the precinct leader.

firebirdnation
01-14-2008, 08:28 PM
For those mailing letters, what are you putting as the return address? RonPaul2008.com?

lly4now
01-14-2008, 08:28 PM
To add to the ideas, it also might be beneficial to include voting registration forms in the envelopes. Easiness facilitates action.

Michigan11
01-14-2008, 08:29 PM
I love this thread, I've always thought the shy people were the most interesting people to talk with.

I also think it is the shy people that are the natural born leaders in this world, funny as it sounds, in todays world of bullshit and arrogant, so-called leaders without vision, critical thinking, or ability, we need the real leaders, the thinkers, to come forward.

Please come forward and lead, we need you, the silent majority!

lly4now
01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
For those mailing letters, what are you putting as the return address? RonPaul2008.com?

I would personally put down your own address. I am. Neighbors might be more willing to pay attention if they notice the letter is from someone in the neighborhood. Though, the letter itself should make mention of the site, if you are not attaching a slim jim.

firebirdnation
01-14-2008, 08:36 PM
I would personally put down your own address. I am. Neighbors might be more willing to pay attention if they notice the letter is from someone in the neighborhood. Though, the letter itself should make mention of the site, if you are not attaching a slim jim.

I am going to mail two slim jims and a flyer (once I find a good one, any suggestions?). Since we have a closed primary here in California, I am going to just target registered Republicans and Independents. I am currently building my mailing list, but unfortunately I am having problems with the print precinct walking list link, not opening.....:o

krott5333
01-14-2008, 08:53 PM
No reason to be incredibly ugly with your post. You have no knowledge of other's abilities.

everyone has the ability to TRY, and to MAKE AN ATTEMPT.

krott5333
01-14-2008, 08:54 PM

You are proof-positive that apparently there is NOTHING that should stop people from signing up.

And i'm sorry for my being harsh.. sometimes I just feel people sit on the forums and complain without getting out there and doing something.

amy31416
01-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I love this thread, I've always thought the shy people were the most interesting people to talk with.

I also think it is the shy people that are the natural born leaders in this world, funny as it sounds, in todays world of bullshit and arrogant, so-called leaders without vision, critical thinking, or ability, we need the real leaders, the thinkers, to come forward.

Flattery will get you everywhere Michigan11. :)

wgadget
01-14-2008, 09:57 PM
I heard Ron Paul is shy....

:)

teshuah
01-14-2008, 10:03 PM
how bad do y'all think it is to have kids (being young kids) in the background when trying to do the phone calls? I have no car, and no one here to watch the kids and keep them quiet... if any of you have kids you know that as soon as momma is on the phone the radar goes up. Even if I sit them in front of the idiot box one of them is bound to come running in here LOL

jrich4rpaul
01-14-2008, 10:40 PM
bump, sticky?

UnitedWeStand
01-14-2008, 10:41 PM
how bad do y'all think it is to have kids (being young kids) in the background when trying to do the phone calls? I have no car, and no one here to watch the kids and keep them quiet... if any of you have kids you know that as soon as momma is on the phone the radar goes up. Even if I sit them in front of the idiot box one of them is bound to come running in here LOL

I think that as long as you're not yelling at them to be quiet etc , the presence of kids in the background of your calls will only go to show that you are indeed a real person calling them. If one or two calls are "ruined" by them crying, I wouldnt worry--at least those people got called! If you dont do it, who will? Noone most likely.

jrich4rpaul
01-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Of course it is worth it if it helps win the election. The problem is $42 may not be alot to you but it is to some people. People seem to keep mentioning stuff like this about donations too. Like, "Why don't we have a money bomb for $100? Everyone can afford $100 for our freedom."

Just please keep that in mind that everyone has a different living situation.:D

If people can only afford 10 stamps, even that is better than 0 letters.

The point is, we need to do what we can.

brandon
01-14-2008, 11:21 PM

You could make relay calls.

Vox Populi
01-14-2008, 11:52 PM
I think this is a pretty good idea. Maybe more people will then decide to take the next step and canvas and/or call. Do what you can and do it the best you can. You might just suprise yourself!

jrich4rpaul
01-15-2008, 12:15 AM
bump.

I just typed up a letter. If anyone would like to copy it for your own letter-writing, let me know.

techxplosion
01-15-2008, 12:40 AM
hey jrich, send over that letter plz...i want to get started asap as a Precinct Leader....Thanks

jrich4rpaul
01-15-2008, 12:44 AM
hey jrich, send over that letter plz...i want to get started asap as a Precinct Leader....Thanks

PM me with your e-mail and I'll send the file so it's print-ready!

DrCap
01-15-2008, 12:48 AM

Thank you, that's the spirit!

Sticky this thread

amy31416
01-15-2008, 01:03 AM
What the heck was that? Did I hear a bump in the dark?

Oh yeah, definitely a BUMP.

LiberalDemForRP
01-15-2008, 01:04 AM
jrich4rpaul,

I don't often speak up, but I read the forums religiously. I am compelled to comment that this was one of the most helpful threads anyone has begun in a long, long time. I bet, with your encouragement, the more reserved among us will reconsider the ways they can affect change as a precinct leader.

You may have just increased RP's votes by thousands. Who knows.

Thanks for helping people think outside of the box. We need all talents, all people, even the silent majority. Fantastic post!

free.alive
01-15-2008, 01:04 AM
good stuff.

Can you work this out a bit more?

I think people would respond to this,and you're right, more people would sign up as precinct leaders. Then, people in these precincts would go to Dr. Paul's website, love it, sign up as a precinct leader and then maybe you have a canvasser there!

quantized
01-15-2008, 01:05 AM
oops. another bump. this time not an accident.

angrydragon
01-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Add the Ron Paul freedom cards to your letters.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=50584

thegr8drronpaul
01-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Also shy people (I'm one also) try and just speak from your heart. Sounds super cheesy, but when you get so nervous about remembering what to say to people just think about what drove you to Paul in the first place. For me it's just the trustworthy factor so I always start with that. People will know whether you're just spitting out a rehearsal, but it will get them if they believe that you are excited about it.

jrich4rpaul
01-15-2008, 01:20 AM
jrich4rpaul,

I don't often speak up, but I read the forums religiously. I am compelled to comment that this was one of the most helpful threads anyone has begun in a long, long time. I bet, with your encouragement, the more reserved among us will reconsider the ways they can affect change as a precinct leader.

Thanks for helping people think outside of the box. We need all talents, all people, even the silent majority. Fantastic post!

Thank you for your encouraging words :)

firebirdnation
01-15-2008, 01:27 AM
jrich4rpaul,

I agree 100%!

Vox Populi
01-15-2008, 01:33 AM
bump because I like this thread and keep checking it for more responses. :)

jrich4rpaul
01-15-2008, 06:20 AM
bump

scrosnoe
01-15-2008, 06:35 AM
just sign up and do a little and then a little more and then a little more - pretty soon your neighbors will call you if you don't call them at election time to see what to do

and that folks is building the base of the republican party with people committed to restoring the republic:D

osofaux
01-15-2008, 07:55 AM
bump

SgtBulldog
01-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Bump again.

Being a precinct leader is the absolute BEST thing you can do to support Ron Paul. PERIOD. As mentioned before, if you aren't comfortable making cold visits, just do lit drops to your precinct. That is what I'll be doing. Generally there are only 250-500 homes in a precinct. You can easily canvass that in one day or less. Please, if you are reading this and have not signed up to be a precinct leader, do so now!!

Here's a sample letter that I am using:

Dear Neighbor,

I am an Iraq War Veteran and a XXXXXXXXXXX resident would like you to consider voting for Congressman Ron Paul in the upcoming California Republican Presidential Primary. Ron Paul is a 10-term U.S. Representative, a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, and an OB/GYN physician who has delivered over 4,000 babies.

As a Sgt. in the U.S. Marine Corps, I was deployed to Iraq during the initial invasion in 2003. Working as a Civil Affairs NCO, I was able to speak with many Iraqis during my tour in An Nasiriyah, Al Kut, Al Hillah, Basrah, and Baghdad and while many were grateful that Saddam was gone, the majority hoped that our forces would leave soon. I asked them through an interpreter when they thought the coalition should leave their country and they would usually reply with “a few months, maybe a year.” Remember, this was almost 5 years ago. All of the Iraqis I met were very kind and hospitable people who, like us, just want their families to be safe and to hold a stable job. That is impossible while we occupy their country. Almost 4,000 of my military brothers and sisters have given their lives already. I believe it is now time for us to come home, and 71% of Iraqis in a recent poll agree. Ron Paul voted against the Iraq War Resolution in 2002, is the only major candidate to pledge that our troops will leave Iraq as fast and as safely as possible, and has received the most donations from active and retired military than any other candidate.

I swore an oath as a Marine to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, so I am very concerned about the state of civil liberties in our nation. Due to the Patriot Act, my local library has a prominent sign displayed stating they must provide any record of our library activity to the FBI if asked. The federal government now also has the power to wiretap our phones and Internet without a warrant. And our current Attorney General refuses to state whether waterboarding is considered torture or not even though we prosecuted Japanese soldiers for war crimes when they waterboarded our POWs during WWII. Ron Paul voted against and would repeal the Patriot Act, and introduced the American Freedom Agenda Act of 2007, which would prohibit torture by the U.S., require warrants for domestic surveillance, and reinstate habeas corpus.

Another area of concern to me is our economy, especially the burgeoning federal deficit and out of control spending. Our national debt currently stands at $9.2 trillion, over 60% higher than it was about 8 years ago and growing by $1.5 billion a day. We spend hundreds of billions of dollars on nation-building and arming foreign countries while bridges collapse and cities flood in our country. And Social Security outlays are projected to exceed income by 2017 while Medicare assets will drop below expenditures in 2013. Ron Paul has never voted to increase taxes or for an unbalanced budget, will keep and invest more of our money at home, and introduced the Social Security Preservation Act to ensure that money paid into the system is only used for Social Security and the Senior Citizens Tax Elimination Act, which repeals all taxes on Social Security benefits.

Please join me in making an investment for our nation’s future by voting for Ron Paul in the Republican Presidential Primary on Tuesday, February 5th. You must register as a Republican by Tuesday, January 22nd (postmarked) to vote in the Republican Primary. Voter registration forms can be found at your local library and Post Office.

I greatly appreciate your time and consideration for Dr. Ron Paul. If you have any questions or want to help, I can be contacted at XXXXXXXXXXX. Together, we can truly make a difference for our future and our children’s future.

Warmest regards,

Find out more about Dr. Ron Paul at:

http://www.RonPaul2008.com/ • 1 (877) RON-PAUL • http://www.RonPaulLibrary.org/

LiberalDemForRP
01-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Proud to bump.

LiberalDemForRP
01-15-2008, 08:46 AM
SgtBulldog,

What an awesome letter. Love love love it. And thank you for your service to our country.

SgtBulldog
01-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks Lib Dem. :)

If anyone would a PDF of my letter w/ graphics for your area, please PM me and I'll custom edit one for you.

LiberalDemForRP
01-15-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm going to keep bumping this.

ShowMeLiberty
01-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Bump

Mass Grave Aesthetics
01-15-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm a shy person and this thread influenced me to sign up as a precinct leader, I'm going to start writing letters ASAP.

amonasro
01-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I think I will sign up also. How hard can it be to write a short letter from the heart, mail-merge addresses and send them?

t3rmin
01-15-2008, 12:04 PM
My wife suggested postcards. Stamps are only 26 cents. That means I can mail everyone on my walk list for about $75. That's getting into affordability range.

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 12:05 PM
If you are too shy to canvas, the last thing you should be worrying about is Ron Paul getting elected. See a psychiatrist.

SgtBulldog
01-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Listen folks, let's look at this through a cost benefit analysis.

It takes less than 30 seconds to leave a flyer on someone's door. That is 120 homes/hr. If you have 250 homes to canvass, that is only ~2 hours!!

Compared to spending between $0.26-$0.41 for postage which equals a total of $65-$145. And that is not counting the cost of envelopes!

I'm telling you guys, do the extra leg work and walk your precinct and do literature drops!

Top 4 reasons to walk your precinct instead of using mail:
1. People are more likely to open and read a flyer left on their door than a random envelope in the mail.
2. Mailing takes extra time to get to the recipient, that is time that we can't afford.
3. It's good exercise.
4. It'll save you roughly $50/hour!!!

t3rmin
01-15-2008, 12:31 PM
I intend to couple postcards with in-person canvassing.

laurak
01-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi jrich4rpaul,

I am a shy person and I would like to thank you for starting this thread.

I have been thinking about signing up as PC but putting it off thinking that I may not be a effective (door-to-door)campaigner but after reading your post I think I can at least do the letter mailing part.

I have sent you a PM with my email address requesting the letter template.

Thanks
Laura
Houston, TX

John P Slevin
01-15-2008, 12:36 PM

Most people feel like that when they are doing any canvass work and when it is a new experience.

After doing it for just a little while, you'll lose most of that nervousness. All you are doing is telling them you support Ron Paul and hope they will too

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 01:06 PM
I don't mean to be a rude asshole here, maybe I am being rude but here goes. To all the guys too shy to canvas, have you ever asked a girl on a date? What's the worst that could happen?

firebirdnation
01-15-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't mean to be a rude asshole here, maybe I am being rude but here goes. To all the guys too shy to canvas, have you ever asked a girl on a date? What's the worst that could happen?

I am not too shy to canvas, but with two small children and being a stay at home dad, it can be hard to find the time to canvas an area, but I can easily set up a mailing list and send out letters. But I certainly don't put down those who are too shy to canvas since its counter productive and downright rude. You should accept individuals for who they are and all that matters is the fact they are willing to do whatever they are comfortable doing to help RP get elected. Why do you feel the need to put down those who may be too shy to canvas, but are willing to send out letters?

LiberalDemForRP
01-15-2008, 01:27 PM
If you are too shy to canvas, the last thing you should be worrying about is Ron Paul getting elected. See a psychiatrist.

Instead of criticizing, maybe you could be supportive of those who've been inspired by this thread to spread Dr. Paul's message. It takes all kinds, and we need all kinds. Your negativity is not helpful.

amonasro
01-15-2008, 01:29 PM

Excuse me, but are you in high school? I'm happily married thank you very much.

Some people get nervous/anxious in public situations and don't like confrontation. Not everyone is going to become canvassing footsoldiers so this is a great way to appeal to them. Sending letters is the next best thing.

bump for importance

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Instead of criticizing, maybe you could be supportive of those who've been inspired by this thread to spread Dr. Paul's message. It takes all kinds, and we need all kinds. Your negativity is not helpful.

Good luck guys sorry for the negativity. By the way, who is going to call or drive those people when you want to get the vote out?

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 01:34 PM

Some people get nervous/anxious in public situations and don't like confrontation. Not everyone is going to become canvassing footsoldiers so this is a great way to appeal to them. Sending letters is the next best thing.

bump for importance

Out of college and am working. On the weekends I canvas.

lisajames96
01-15-2008, 01:41 PM

bump for importance

I get nervous talking to people. But I have signed up to be precinct leader before this thread and the silly psychiatrist/loser type comment. I PM'd you(OP) for the letter though. It will help.

exer51
01-15-2008, 01:45 PM
As has been said the letter thing is a big expensive if you actually mail them. I'd say a personal letter+slim jim hand delivered to their doorstep(not mailbox) is a good plan though. Luckily I'm not shy and can save the cost of paper & envelopes!

Mass Grave Aesthetics
01-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Yeah, because that's how I meet girls. I get their name off a list, appear at their door and hype up Ron Paul. Cut us a little slack. It's like laughing at the heavy guy jogging at the park, at least he's making an effort not to be a lazy slob.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-15-2008, 02:09 PM

Even if shy, doing something is better than doing nothing.

Also, if anyone hasn't asked a girl (or guy) on a date, now's the time to type that letter up and pop it in the mail. :D

Young_Apprentice
01-15-2008, 02:22 PM

No, I'm too shy to do that even.

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, because that's how I meet girls. I get their name off a list, appear at their door and hype up Ron Paul. Cut us a little slack. It's like laughing at the heavy guy jogging at the park, at least he's making an effort not to be a lazy slob.

Touché. HAHAH. Alright I said I was sorry!! HAHA.

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 02:33 PM
I was sort of looking to piss someone off so they would say, "I'll show that fucker I can canvas!" I take back what I said.

LiberalDemForRP
01-15-2008, 02:40 PM
I take back what I said.

Thank you.

Laja
01-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Do you guys have any recommendations on mass-producing the destination addresses on envelopes?

IMHO, you're better off hand-addressing the envelopes, even if it takes a lot of time. I know that with all the junk mail I get, I toss anything with a printed label on it. Handwritten address and individual stamp will get most people to open the envelope, especially if you provide them with your return address and they can see that it's someone from their town.

emeriste
01-15-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm emeriste and I approve this message.

www.WeLoveFreedom.com

crazyfacedjenkins
01-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Now I feel like a dick because this doesn't sound like a bad idea. Someone from our meetup was stapling a rubber band to the slimjim and hanging them on doorknobs for houses where there was no pickup. I'm sure this idea could save even more money on postage.

ShowMeLiberty
01-15-2008, 04:17 PM
a shy little *bump*

SgtBulldog
01-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Bump

jrich4rpaul
01-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Anyone who wants an already written letter, just PM me with your email.

Make sure we're still telling friends to sign up as Precinct Leaders!

jrich4rpaul
01-15-2008, 05:43 PM
bump

Corydoras
01-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Isn't this basically using the precinct list as a letter-writing list?
A lot better than nothing, I guess.
If someone comes along who wants to actually walk the precinct, can they sign up on the website?

qwerty
01-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Bump!

LiberalDemForRP
01-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Bumpity bump.

Vox Populi
01-16-2008, 01:00 AM
The more I read this thread, the more I like it.

Bump!

jrich4rpaul
01-16-2008, 05:45 AM
bump

prlgrl
01-16-2008, 07:07 AM
I think this is a great idea. People have to understand that, for some, this is the first time they've taken an activist role. Today's letters may be tomorrow's foot soldiers!

btw didn't read every post, did anyone mention mailing in bulk?

alexa doherty
01-16-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm involved with my meetup but my friend asked me, what it the cheapest place to get stamps in bulk for mailing? Btw I thought campaign postage was free or had a lower rate?

LiberalDemForRP
01-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Bump. This deserves to be on front page.

jrich4rpaul
01-16-2008, 04:54 PM
bump, you guys are giving me hope here

jrich4rpaul
01-16-2008, 09:21 PM
As long as I keep recieving requests for the letter, I'll keep bumping this.

I'm getting 8-10 requests per day! :)

Mandrik
01-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Bump. I PM'ed you asking about that sample letter. A cousin of mine lives down the street from me (same precinct, obviously), and he is a HUGE RP supporter. I actually had no idea until I bumped into him at our RP meet-up one night. I'm going to talk to him about this and see if he and his brother (another big supporter, already maxxed out) are interested in helping out.

Thanks!

Paulitical Correctness
01-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Just posting my appreciation to jrich for posting this, he's done a lot for this campaign through inspiration. Indirectly, he may be the reason for hundreds of extra votes we may not have gotten.

jrich4rpaul
01-17-2008, 01:36 AM
bump

Good luck guys!

And I appreciate the feedback :)

LiberalDemForRP
01-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Just posting my appreciation to jrich for posting this, he's done a lot for this campaign through inspiration. Indirectly, he may be the reason for hundreds of extra votes we may not have gotten.

I agree! And never have I seen a pessimistic or antagonistic post from him. Kudos to you, jrich!

angrydragon
01-17-2008, 01:56 AM
Maybe you should have added billionaire to the title of the thread. Man that thread had so many views in the least amount of time.

jrich4rpaul
01-17-2008, 04:42 AM
bump

qwerty
01-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Bump!

mosquitobite
01-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Here's my strategy for Indiana (primary isn't until May 6th so I have longer). I plan to "fish" :D

First: I bought 1000 of these: Discover Liberty tabloid (http://www.theadvocates.org/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LS&Product_Code=DL&Category_Code=AA-NEW) $30 for 1000! Cheap cheap cheap!
My best friend and I will be delivering them like newspapers to my precinct.

Next: I plan to order 500 of these: Ron Paul Revere DVD's (http://www.titleset.com/ronpaul/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=2&zenid=0ecccaafcba22249efeae2ddf992b4b3) (Ouch they just went up in price!) Oh well $195 is a good investment for the quality of these DVD's. I'll deliver these door to door (probably with doorknob hangers of some sort)

Finally, walk or call each house to find the supporters I've "netted"

bjrnet
01-17-2008, 09:18 AM
I signed up to be a Precinct Captain yesterday. It has been over 12 hours now and I have NOT received my password or any acknowledgment from HQ.

I've tried to re-register and it says I have already registered. I've tried to reset / resend my password and it says it was sent. But no email comes. I've also verified ronpaul2008.com is in my FRIENDS list in my spam software.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Dalton
http://www.bjrnet.com/ronpaulblimps

Delaware
01-17-2008, 09:34 AM
I tried using hotmail, some emails dont work, use a gmail account, the campaign said they always work.

Can you mail a slim jim with a letter? is it legal?

LiberalDemForRP
01-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Can you mail a slim jim with a letter? is it legal?

Sure it is! Mail away.

jlizgar
01-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Im doing it! My problem isnt so much that im overly shy but that I have 2 small kids and its the middle of winter so its hard to get out and go door to door...but writting letters I can do, I could do alot while my son is napping and my daughter is at school...im going to sign up RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

Liz :)

rob-NC
01-17-2008, 09:50 AM
I suppose I am on the shy side of things....Go figure being an ex-marine and all :D

Can someone pm me so I can get a copy of the letter(s) you are sending? I have been pondering joining up for a couple weeks now.

I have never done anything like this before so I am a little out of the comfort range (which is good). :o

lloydian
01-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Many Libertarian minded people are somewhat reserved, shy, and independent.

This thread is likely very helpful.

RonPaulJunkie
01-17-2008, 12:53 PM
I ordered 800 slim jims that I will be mailing out with a personal letter. If they havn't heard of Ron Paul yet, they will soon!

I am going to try to follow up with phone calls as well.

Jae0
01-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Here's my strategy for Indiana (primary isn't until May 6th so I have longer). I plan to "fish" :D

First: I bought 1000 of these: Discover Liberty tabloid (http://www.theadvocates.org/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LS&Product_Code=DL&Category_Code=AA-NEW) $30 for 1000! Cheap cheap cheap!
My best friend and I will be delivering them like newspapers to my precinct.

Next: I plan to order 500 of these: Ron Paul Revere DVD's (http://www.titleset.com/ronpaul/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=2&zenid=0ecccaafcba22249efeae2ddf992b4b3) (Ouch they just went up in price!) Oh well $195 is a good investment for the quality of these DVD's. I'll deliver these door to door (probably with doorknob hangers of some sort)

Finally, walk or call each house to find the supporters I've "netted"

Im in Indiana too, mind if I bite your idea? What you're doing sounds really affordable! When do you plan on really ramping up your efforts? Also, maybe you could staple a note onto the papers to remind people when our voter registration deadline is. Almost everyone i've talked to had no idea the cutoff date was in April.

jrich4rpaul
01-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Those who did not recieve passwords in your email:

Check your Bulk Folder!

It may be there depending on how strict your email is.

kirkblitz
01-17-2008, 04:14 PM
mailed out a few letters earlier, anyone else?

wish i had time to get some slim jims shipped to me but the primary is saturday :(

t3rmin
01-17-2008, 04:17 PM
I just made postcards at Staples. $45 for double-sided cardstock, copied and cut by them. Was a bit more than I'd expected, but it's tolerable. Now I've got to cough up about $75 of postage to mail them.

kirkblitz
01-17-2008, 04:19 PM
just saw that theres flyer downloads on the site, guess i can print and send some of those :)

Soccrmastr
01-17-2008, 04:27 PM
the email/user name is case sensitive guys, FYI

Christopher David
01-17-2008, 06:38 PM
When canvassing in Iowa during the late morning, I found it helpful to do a light knock instead of ringing the doorbell or banging loudly. They will hear you if they are up and about, not if they are in their bedroom. Shy people just starting door-to-door might want to try that.

Every brochure we handed out or stuck in doors included a paper slip entitled "Easy Caucus Guide" with instructions on finding their caucus location as well as its date and time.

Also remember that the contact info for all precinct leaders in your county is posted at the bottom of the Grassroots Central page. If you finish your home precinct, you can team up with other leaders or divvy up nearby precincts that haven't been canvassed.

GET 'ER DONE! :D

t3rmin
01-17-2008, 06:48 PM
I was wondering about the wisdom of giving a caucus guide to everyone, rather than just identified RP supporters. We don't want to increase overall turnout, just RP turnout.

Christopher David
01-17-2008, 07:20 PM
I thought so as well, but the flyer was RP-centric, was tucked inside the very well-done pamphlet, and directed people to ronpaul2008.com. I imagine whoever's idea it was calculated it would be a net increase in votes for us compared to other candidates. If people see us as the provider of an "easy" caucus route and go to look up caucus info on our website, they would be exposed to RP's message on friendly terrain and make a better-informed decision, which would benefit us more often than not. Turning out five additional RP caucusgoers for every one additional caucusgoer for some other candidate would have been highly beneficial.

Mandrik
01-17-2008, 09:54 PM
jrich, I just signed up to be a precinct leader. I give you the credit, because I didn't think I'd have the time to do this. Thanks! :)

jrich4rpaul
01-18-2008, 05:52 AM
bump

You guys inspire me...

jrich4rpaul
01-18-2008, 08:05 AM
morning bump

Ninja Homer
01-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Great thread! I just went through it pretty quickly.

To save on postage, and if you don't have time or are too shy to deliver letters by hand, you can probably find somebody to put them on doors for pretty cheap. Find a neighbor kid to do them all for $10. Make sure to find somebody you trust, or they might just end up in the trash!

A good way to make them hangable is to either staple a rubber band to a corner of the envelope, or punch a hole through it then feed a rubber band through then put one end of the rubber band through the loop on the other end of the rubber band to form a knot (this sentence probably doesn't make sense, but I think you know what I mean). Use rubber bands that are big enough to fit around a doorknob without stretching much, if at all.

jrich4rpaul
01-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Great thread! I just went through it pretty quickly.

To save on postage, and if you don't have time or are too shy to deliver letters by hand, you can probably find somebody to put them on doors for pretty cheap. Find a neighbor kid to do them all for $10. Make sure to find somebody you trust, or they might just end up in the trash!

A good way to make them hangable is to either staple a rubber band to a corner of the envelope, or punch a hole through it then feed a rubber band through then put one end of the rubber band through the loop on the other end of the rubber band to form a knot. Use rubber bands that are big enough to fit around a doorknob without stretching much, if at all.

Also, I think bulk shipping rates may be an option to save money. I just bought stamps, but someone else may want to look into it.

jlizgar
01-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Well, I signed up! Yay me! BUT still havent recieved info in my email...I know it says to use a different email like gmail...but how do I do that after the fact? Ive already registered, just need the confirmation info. Someone help me, I want to get started with mailing letters and flyers ASAP!!!!!

jrich4rpaul
01-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Well, I signed up! Yay me! BUT still havent recieved info in my email...I know it says to use a different email like gmail...but how do I do that after the fact? Ive already registered, just need the confirmation info. Someone help me, I want to get started with mailing letters and flyers ASAP!!!!!

Check your bulk mail folder!

jlizgar
01-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Check your bulk mail folder!

I looked and its not there....what should I do? Contact HQ?

BeFranklin
01-18-2008, 08:45 AM
I can't even sign up, the voter registration part of the main hq site just is hanging.

Not a big problem for me, my state is very late in the season, but it might be for some other people.

BeFranklin
01-18-2008, 08:46 AM
I think its down.

jrich4rpaul
01-18-2008, 09:04 AM
I looked and its not there....what should I do? Contact HQ?

Wait it out? It seems like the Leader section is a little slow on the site today.

jlizgar
01-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Wait it out? It seems like the Leader section is a little slow on the site today.

Well I signed up yesterday morning so...ill wait till tomorrow, if I dont hear anything maybe ill call or email someone about it, I really want to get on it...we vote on Feb. 12 here so if I get started now I can be in contact with LOTS of people!

bjrnet
01-18-2008, 09:50 AM
It took about 20 hours for me to get my password and an acknowledgment. Be a little patient -- give it 24 hours. If you haven't heard anything by then, email them!!!!!!!!

Gadsdenfly
01-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Sorry if this has been mentioned but you can "doorknob" instead of mailing to avoid cost. When you identify who you want to contact stick the letter and material in side the screen door or attached to doorknob with a rubberband.

RonPaulFTW08
01-18-2008, 12:47 PM

Some may be reluctant to be a Precinct Leader because they do not want to make phone calls or go door to door. Some are shy, some just don't have time.

Simple solution: Use the Precinct Leader database to find Independent/Republican voters in your area, print up a short, simple, polite letter with information about Ron Paul and mail it out! Also include a slim jim if you'd like.

This is also a way to prevent from calling people during supper or at a bad time. People will be more likely to sit down and read in peace than listen to a phone call or someone at their door.

I have written a letter I will be happy to share with everyone. PM me with your e-mail so I can send it as an attachment.

Precinct Leaders DOUBLE THE VOTE! Proof:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=92921

Alright alright... Im going to look into this over the weekend. For Ron Paul, for The Revolution, For The Win! And apparently it's been proven to work :eek:! http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=93259

RonPaulFTW08
01-18-2008, 12:48 PM
mmmmmmm... got bump?

LiberalDemForRP
01-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Si, amigo. El bumpo.

jrich4rpaul
01-18-2008, 04:26 PM
bump

jrich4rpaul
01-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Everyone coming home right now, sign up!

fabijo
01-19-2008, 12:03 AM
I signed up and am going for the letter writing method. Here in NYC, people don't hear a word you say when you come to their door. The basic assumption here is that if you come knocking on my door, you want something from me and are probably thinking I'm fool enough to be tricked into your scam.

jrich4rpaul
01-19-2008, 03:29 AM
bump

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-19-2008, 05:06 AM
blimp.

jointhefightforfreedom
01-19-2008, 05:36 AM
bump

jrich4rpaul
01-19-2008, 02:50 PM
bump

PathIveMade
01-20-2008, 12:25 AM
bump

jrich4rpaul
01-20-2008, 03:20 AM
bump

Kacela
01-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the inspiring topic. I took the plunge as well, thanks to this thread.

jrich4rpaul
01-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the inspiring topic. I took the plunge as well, thanks to this thread.

Good to hear :)

Rahl
01-20-2008, 04:00 PM
bump

Biodemocracy
01-20-2008, 05:23 PM

That is so interesting that you bring that up about the more silent people being natural born leaders. I heard quote a while back that said those who talk too much are more ignorant then those who don't. Meaning those who aren't talking are listening and learning rather than speaking :D

I thought it was quite funny reading something like that :)

firebirdnation
01-20-2008, 05:27 PM
bump

phree
01-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Would someone please explain to me exactly what is involved in being a precinct leader? I'm trying to deal with some volunteer related fatigue since I returned to Georgia from two weeks in NH. The trip has put me behind in terms of money and time and I also lost some of my enthusiasm for canvasing and phone banking. I may be on the verge of a second wind, and this may be the inspiration I'm looking for. An explanation of what precinct leader entails would be helpful.

phree
01-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Would someone please explain to me exactly what is involved in being a precinct leader? I'm trying to deal with some volunteer related fatigue since I returned to Georgia from two weeks in NH. The trip has put me behind in terms of money and time and I also lost some of my enthusiasm for canvasing and phone banking. I may be on the verge of a second wind, and this may be the inspiration I'm looking for. An explanation of what precinct leader entails would be helpful.

This is the second "precinct leader" thread I've posted this in. Still no response.

emeriste
01-20-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm emeriste and I approve this message.

www.WeLoveFreedom.com --- This was made to be spread.

Biodemocracy
01-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Listen folks, let's look at this through a cost benefit analysis.

It takes less than 30 seconds to leave a flyer on someone's door. That is 120 homes/hr. If you have 250 homes to canvass, that is only ~2 hours!!

Compared to spending between $0.26-$0.41 for postage which equals a total of $65-$145. And that is not counting the cost of envelopes!

I'm telling you guys, do the extra leg work and walk your precinct and do literature drops!

Top 4 reasons to walk your precinct instead of using mail:
1. People are more likely to open and read a flyer left on their door than a random envelope in the mail.
2. Mailing takes extra time to get to the recipient, that is time that we can't afford.
3. It's good exercise.
4. It'll save you roughly $50/hour!!!

See this is exactly what I'm talking about! Well said SgtBulldog!

This is what I'm planning to do with my precinct and surrounding precincts:

From what I've noticed in the precinct excel sheet list is there's quite a lot of Republicans that live in the same household. This means I'll only be writing only one letter to that specific household's family name addressing it to the first names listed on the precinct list. This will save you time and lots of money on writing extra letters and having to buy extra envelopes and paper. However, if there is only one Republican per listed household address, I'll be sending them their own individual letter.

Also, living here in Southern California I see many workers who walk my street dropping off advertisements on doors and fences and it's the most simplest work I've ever seen someone do. So instead of buying stamps, I'm going to take each letter and put them on doors or door knobs using a rubber band tied into a punched hole on each envelope. You don't even have to make contact with the recipients, and this method will allow you to save massive amount of time and you can spend more of your money on paper, envelopes, rubber bands, and any Ron Paul flyers or slimjims you'd like to include with your letters.

So what I'm going to do with my personal letter is print out 100's that say the same thing but are personally address to each specific Republican individual or family household (if there are more than 1 Republicans listed per address) on my list. I'm going to feed envelopes into my printer and print there names and address on the envelope so it gives it a nice elegant touch.

From there I'll be adding some flyers from [unitedforliberty.com (http://www.unitedforliberty.com)] along with the letter that has a Ron Paul Liberty Card [libertycard.org (http://www.libertycard.org)] stapled to the top corner of the each letter. I will then fold the letter and flyer or slimjim up and put them into each envelope and go out and drop each envelope off at each recipient's address.

This is as cheap and effective as it gets and if you have any other ideas to add to this please feel free to share your thoughts. I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for reading,

Eric Garcia
Precinct Leader 1030114-- Long Beach

firebirdnation
01-20-2008, 08:17 PM

http://voters.ronpaul2008.com/

Lord Xar
01-20-2008, 08:17 PM
SgtBulldog, good point.

THIS iS WHAT I PLAN ON DOING.

Personally addressing an Envelope care package.

1. DVD of Ron Paul
2. Mosaic Ad flyer
3. Founding Fathers flyer
4. Various slim jims

I will then issue a phone call via a generated phone banking call telling them my name and that I left something on their door for them. I also will leave my number and urge them to call IF they want more info on Ron Paul. I have no issue talking when they initiate.

I plan on also robocalling my 100+ independents in my area and give them some last minute info on registering republican (in california).

I 'was' gonna mail the info, but now I feel your poitnts are valid. Saves me MONEY AND TIME!

thanks

phree
01-20-2008, 08:20 PM
http://voters.ronpaul2008.com/

Yes, I've been to the precinct leader page. It tells me nothing about what is involved in being a PL.

jlizgar
01-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Its been a few days now and still no word from the campaign...I really want to do this, who should I contact to get this resolved so I can get the info and get started, is there a certain person that is in charge of the precinct captains??

phree
01-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Doesn't anyone care about promoting this idea a little? I've asked in 4 posts in 2 different threads for a brief explanation about what is in involved in being a precinct leader. Twice I've been given a link to the main page for signing up. That page tells NOTHING about what is involved. I don't want to sign up until I know what I'm committing to.

Tidewise
01-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Doesn't anyone care about promoting this idea a little? I've asked in 4 posts in 2 different threads for a brief explanation about what is in involved in being a precinct leader. Twice I've been given a link to the main page for signing up. That page tells NOTHING about what is involved. I don't want to sign up until I know what I'm committing to.

You are going door-to-Republican-door to convert undecideds to Ron Paul. (If you are in an open primary state, I guess you are knocking on everyone's door.)

The precinct list you are given may be a little out of date, but will be mostly accurate. Most people who answer their doors will admire you for being active, whether or not they agree with Dr. Paul's message of Liberty, Prosperity and Peace.

This is perhaps the best way to win it for Dr. Paul: turn the undecideds. They are just waiting for a reason not to vote for a neocon warmonger!

firebirdnation
01-21-2008, 12:53 PM

I agree, they need to fix that page up and give some specifics on whats involved in being a precinct leader. This is a common question, perhaps we should contact HQ and ask them to provide more information on the front page. This may be the reason why its growing so slowly.

jrich4rpaul
01-21-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree, they need to fix that page up and give some specifics on whats involved in being a precinct leader. This is a common question, perhaps we should contact HQ and ask them to provide more information on the front page. This may be the reason why its growing so slowly.

+1

jrich4rpaul
01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
bump

jrich4rpaul
01-22-2008, 12:17 AM
bump

SgtBulldog
01-22-2008, 08:59 AM
I canvassed 500 homes this weekend.

What did you do?

Rico4444
01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
I just happened to stumble across this excellent article by a Mark A. Cella. It is short and so simply explained and is exactly what Dr Paul has been trying to get across regarding how the money system has evolved.

Don't know what the legality of including this in your letters but every voter should read this.

http://www.ajb.com/big-site/websites...lief/56790.php

libertygrl
01-22-2008, 02:16 PM

thanks,
dean

I too am shy by nature. However, after seeing Ron Paul being laughed at during the last FOX News debate I figured if Ron Paul has the courage to stand up in front of millions of people and risk being ridiculed, the least I could do was canvass for him.

So I signed up and the first house was the hardest. But after that you sort of fall into a rhythm and you actually start feeling empowered by it. At least I did. Let me tell you, anger is a great motivator! So those who feel a bit timid, don't focus on yourself. Just focus on how they have been treating Ron Paul and the threat of tyranny our country is under. Just take a deep breath and DO IT. Trust me. You'll be happy you did and you'll be a part of history.

jrich4rpaul
01-22-2008, 05:46 PM
bump

jrich4rpaul
01-23-2008, 12:39 AM
bump

qwerty
01-23-2008, 12:45 AM
bump!

jrich4rpaul
01-24-2008, 07:54 AM
bump

Ritual Magick
01-26-2008, 01:34 PM
I just wanted to say that this thread encouraged me to sign up as a precinct leader! Upon signing up, I downloaded the database of voters in my precinct and removed the democrat and independent voters (since my state has a closed primary, and you have to be republican... and it's too late to switch party registrations). I then downloaded and customized the handout mentioned in this post:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=83009&highlight=slim+jims

I had this handout professionally printed on blue paper at Kinkos (which also was able to professionally cut them into thirds). I then gathered together enough money between myself, my wife, my mother, and my father (all of which support Ron Paul), and we hand-addressed and mailed a handout to EVERY SINGLE Republican in my town! I live in a small town, yet this was still over 1,000 people! I even set up a gmail email address just for the local people in my town to email if they have any questions!

I just wanted to share this "good news" with everyone, and let you know that we ALL can do our part to help get Ron Paul elected. Imagine if everyone on here did something similar. :)

~Mark

PathIveMade
01-27-2008, 12:59 AM
I just wanted to say that this thread encouraged me to sign up as a precinct leader! Upon signing up, I downloaded the database of voters in my precinct and removed the democrat and independent voters (since my state has a closed primary, and you have to be republican... and it's too late to switch party registrations). I then downloaded and customized the handout mentioned in this post:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=83009&highlight=slim+jims

I had this handout professionally printed on blue paper at Kinkos (which also was able to professionally cut them into thirds). I then gathered together enough money between myself, my wife, my mother, and my father (all of which support Ron Paul), and we hand-addressed and mailed a handout to EVERY SINGLE Republican in my town! I live in a small town, yet this was still over 1,000 people! I even set up a gmail email address just for the local people in my town to email if they have any questions!

I just wanted to share this "good news" with everyone, and let you know that we ALL can do our part to help get Ron Paul elected. Imagine if everyone on here did something similar. :)

~Mark

Excellent! Keep up the good work! Don't forget to follow up with them and turn them out to vote.

jrich4rpaul
01-27-2008, 04:08 AM
bump

jrich4rpaul
01-28-2008, 08:25 AM
bump

Nic4Truth
01-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Im very shy, my husband is not! So, maybe the two of us can handle this. Lit drops, mailings, and some door to door canvassing.. Can 2 of us do it together?

Buddha86
01-30-2008, 12:53 PM
My primary is on Feb 5th, today is the 30th and have 627 People in it. I could spend at least 50$ buying stamps, envelopes + asking everyone I know for some of theres. I am also printing out letters and maybe like 1/3 page size slim things, using the libraries free paper so I can send off 100-150 letters for about 50 bucks maybe alittle more, and they should all get there by Monday or Tuesday. I also have the weekend to drop off those that I do not have postage for.

We need to make sure that people are aware of Ron and his message, not alot of people around here where I live have internet, let alone use it for research purposes. His ideas speak for them selves, if that compelling personal letter is the last thing in their minds when Tuesday comes, we could mobilize alot of people to vote, who may not otherwise.

jrich4rpaul
01-30-2008, 04:33 PM
bump

jrich4rpaul
02-09-2008, 01:18 PM
bump

TruthAtLast
02-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Many people who are in states that have already voted might be thinking that it is too late and becoming a precinct leader is pointless.

Actually it isn't.

Educating America is never pointless. But some of the people you convert (and you are nearly guaranteed to covert some) will become supporters. They will donate. They will convert others. They will help in other states. They will help get other Congressmen elected. They will most certainly help send a message in the General Election regardless of who is running.

So even if your state has already voted. Send these letters out and KEEP sending them. Give them web addresses to go to. Don't just tell them what Ron Paul stands for, but WHY it makes sense.

I converted tons of people who originally thought Ron Paul's ideas were crazy, until I explained about the FED, the national deficit, the income tax, etc. Next thing you know, they are telling their family, friends, and co-workers.

We need Precinct leaders. Not just for the Presidential Campaign, but for the whole movement. You don't have to stand up and make speeches. Chances are, you'll convert some people via your letter that will want to make those speeches.