PDA

View Full Version : Media Blackout: What about Aljazeera English?

Goeran
01-14-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't live in the US so I don't know how many people watch Aljazeera (English) there. Might be a way to bypass the media blackout.

Just an idea.

They make good reports like this one:
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article18934.htm

mcgraw_wv
01-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Dumb... dumb idea...

The quote from Fox News debate comes to mind
"Do you suggest that we take our marking orders from the terrorists in iraq?"

Does anyone think before posting anymore...

mcgraw_wv
01-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Remember, Perception is 9/10 of reality.

Goeran
01-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Does anyone think before posting anymore...

Yes, I do think. Outside the U.S. Aljazeera English doesn't have the bad reputation it might have in the US so I thought it might be a good idea.

They do some quality reports on Aljazeera.

mcgraw_wv
01-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Yes, I do think. Outside the U.S. Aljazeera English doesn't have the bad reputation it might have in the US.

They do some quality reports on Aljazeera.

So who do you plan to get to vote for Ron Paul outside of the United States???

Goeran
01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
So who do you plan to get to vote for Ron Paul outside of the United States???

You get me wrong. I don't know how people in the US see Aljazeera. If its reputation is still that of the "terror al-Qaida tv station" than obviously it wouldn't be a good idea.

Just trying to help.

Shii
01-14-2008, 04:25 PM
You get me wrong. I don't know how people in the US see Aljazeera. If its reputation is still that of the "terror al-Qaida tv station" than obviously it wouldn't be a good idea.

Just trying to help.It doesn't matter that it's more reliable than the BBC. The fact that its name is Arabic makes Americans hate it. The cable networks refuse to carry it and even my liberal arts college denied access to it.

JMann
01-14-2008, 04:26 PM

Just trying to help.

You wouldn't know but (right or wrong) in the US it is considered to be the network of Bin Laden.

mcgraw_wv
01-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah it wouldn't be seen as a good move...

I know it's hard to think what someone from middle America would want to see... being from outside the country...

The best thing you as a foreigner could do is donate as much money as you can to the campaign, and the blimp, and other things, and let us Americans make it happen.

As for perception, Our American President needs to be seen as American first... doing anything related to other countries, be that views or anything... would be bad. For a presidential candidate to embrace Aljezera TV, looked at as enemy propaganda, would end a bid to the white house overnight...

Goeran
01-14-2008, 04:28 PM
The cable networks refuse to carry it and even my liberal arts college denied access to it.

You wouldn't know but (right or wrong) in the US it is considered to be the network of Bin Laden.

Wow. I'm sorry to say this but you americans really have become a paranoid bunch of people.

As of 2008, the channel reaches more than 100 million households worldwide. [6] It is one of the three largest global English language 24 hour news channels, the other two being BBC World and CNN International. Source: Wikipedia

Goeran
01-14-2008, 04:31 PM
For a presidential candidate to embrace Aljezera TV, looked at as enemy propaganda, would end a bid to the white house overnight...

Ok, I see.

Shii
01-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Wow. I'm sorry to say this but you americans really have become a paranoid bunch of people.Um... no... I've been quite active in trying to get access to AJE but it's simply impossible to get it here.

http://www.friendsofaljazeera.org/node/1176

mcgraw_wv
01-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Wow. I'm sorry to say this but you americans really have become a paranoid bunch of people.

As of 2008, the channel reaches more than 100 million households worldwide. [6] It is one of the three largest global English language 24 hour news channels, the other two being BBC World and CNN International. Source: Wikipedia

Let's be honest, it is an Arabic language TV station for whom??? English speaking peopel which are not Arabic, and not muslim... The station is used to spread, and make the Arabic/Muslim way of life more common... Like CNN and BBC... the more your news/culture is spread, the easier it is for other people to accept it.

The Channels message is confused... It is a Muslim / Arabic culture broadcasting in a languge that most Muslim / Arabic people do not speak... ask yourself why is that?

Shii
01-14-2008, 04:35 PM
The Channels message is confused... It is a Muslim / Arabic culture broadcasting in a languge that most Muslim / Arabic people do not speak... ask yourself why is that?Because everything is connected these days and it's important to find out what effect we are having in the Middle East and Africa.

Of course, if Ron Paul is elected we won't have to worry anymore :)

Goeran
01-14-2008, 04:39 PM
The Channels message is confused... It is a Muslim / Arabic culture broadcasting in a languge that most Muslim / Arabic people do not speak... ask yourself why is that?

To tell their perception of the story. Pluralism is not a bad thing.

But as I said before, you americans can decide best what works for the campaign and what would be bad for it.

rpfan2008
01-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Because everything is connected these days and it's important to find out what effect we are having in the Middle East and Africa.

Of course, if Ron Paul is elected we won't have to worry anymore :)

guys lets end this discussion with this positive note.

Paulestinian
01-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Kucinich was on Al Jazeera a while ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFqmJMves_I

raiha
01-14-2008, 05:36 PM
IMHO, Al Jazeera (English) is by far the best, non propagandized, media outlet in the world!

It is the way news is meant to be. And it gives me hope for the human race. It is not corrupt. It is not slanted. It is not owned by profiteers.

N.America falls only too often into simplistic, collectivist thinking that pre-disposes it to prejudice, bigotry and discrimination, the consequences of which I dread, because unfortunately the rest of the world will go down the toilet with it. IMHO

RonRules
01-14-2008, 05:58 PM
You should check out Aljazeera. Every article I've read over the last couple of years seemed to have been well researched and objective.

Try it, you'll be surprised.