PDA

View Full Version : Staten Island and Ron Paul

Eisenh0wer
01-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Staten Island is one of the boroughs of New York City. It has a population of 460,000, is entirely suburban, and, unlike the rest of New York City, has little ethnic diversity (it's nearly 80% white) and almost always votes Republican... a striking contrast to the rest of the city, which is often regarded as a Democratic stronghold. But Staten Island is home to the Republican base in New York City and, throughout its history, has only voted Democrat in three presidential elections - 1964, 1996, and 2000. In the 2004 election, Staten Islanders gave Bush 57% of their vote and 42% to Kerry. In contrast, Kerry received 77% of the vote in the rest of New York City. So Staten Island is likely going to vote Republican this year, and I think it's a largely untapped resource.

I signed up to be a precinct leader for the campaign. I'm covering about 700 homes. There are only eight other captains in Staten Island, and Staten Island doesn't have many Ron Paul meet-ups. I haven't seen a single Ron Paul sign yet (I'm still waiting on my signs to arrive, which I ordered back in December) in all of SI (it's not a very big place).

I haven't seen any ads for Paul and when I mention Ron Paul to friends or coworkers they have no idea who I'm talking about. I just signed up to be a precinct captain the other day, so I'm about to venture forth and canvass (waiting for the slim jims, too) and I'll see how that works out.

I guess my point is that I think that most of New York City is going to sway Democrat. Hillary is the Senator of New York and I'm fairly certain she's going to get New York's Democratic nod. And Giualini was the mayor of New York City and, as far as I can tell, most New Yorkers love(d) him. It might just come down to the average Republican voter telling themselves "Well, he was our mayor, he did reduce crime, I guess I'll vote for him since I don't know any better." This will probably be the case in Staten Island, the only Republican stronghold in New York City. I'm going to do my best to spread the message here and tap into Staten Island's large Republican base. I'm gonna canvass and put a letter in the Staten Island Advance, the borough's largely read newspaper. But I just feel like there's absolutely no Paul campaign presence here and I think that if Paul wants to tap into the Republican vote here in "America's city" he should stop by to the city. Otherwise, I have the feeling it's going to be a Giualini-Clinton sweep in a state that has a lot of delegates (and electoral votes).

literatim
01-14-2008, 04:05 PM
You should advertise in local newspapers.