PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Request: Please evaluate a new Bay Area Newspaper ad; Deadline 9am Tuesday

linusPAULing
01-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Please offer your opinions on the following ad:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2377/2193495032_f8c7ee4737.jpg?v=0

Also, we may still need some funding for this ad. I awaiting some confirmation of pledges, and will update the following site when I get more information.

http://californians4ronpaul.chipin.com/ron-paul-ca-print-ads

Please contribute a few dollars if you can. If we can 30 people to donate $5 we'll absolutely be able to run this ad. If not, we may have to wait another week.

Thanks!

RonPaul_SantaMonica
01-14-2008, 02:30 PM
has earned 20M does not sound right, how about received 20M in donations from individual supporters at ana average of $100 each (or something like that)

RonPaul_SantaMonica
01-14-2008, 02:31 PM
I would also remove the independentnews.com link, people might think he is not running republican

RonPaul_SantaMonica
01-14-2008, 02:32 PM
sorry to spam, and since this is grassroots, how about we include positions of other candidates. Under Iraq war Mccain voted yes etc.

vold
01-14-2008, 02:34 PM
yea we gotta start attacking other candidates on their bullshit

RonPaul_SantaMonica
01-14-2008, 02:36 PM
also include abolish the IRS

withallmyheart
01-14-2008, 02:37 PM
The ad looks great.
Some people think the National ID card is JUST a driver's license. How about putting something in ( ) explaining what it is, or perhaps, what it's not.
Just my 2 cents from comments I've heard on the streets.

Brian4Liberty
01-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Is there any way to fit "secure the borders" and "no amnesty" in there?

Romney smeared him in the debate as if Ron were weak on borders and amnesty. Of course in reality, it is all of the other candidates who are weak on border security and want amnesty and massive immigration...

colecrowe
01-14-2008, 02:39 PM
has earned 20M does not sound right, how about received 20M in donations from individual supporters at ana average of $100 each (or something like that)

QFT

Brian4Liberty
01-14-2008, 02:41 PM
The ad looks great.
Some people think the National ID card is JUST a driver's license. How about putting something in ( ) explaining what it is, or perhaps, what it's not.

I agree. The vast majority don't care about the national id card, and don't understand it's implications. While they need education on this, you may be wasting space on something that most people don't get (yet)...

RonPaul_SantaMonica
01-14-2008, 02:49 PM
TYhe big problem is that people think Mccain is the right person for the war. We need to hammer him on that. Put in the 100 year war quote. Hit them hard. Take the gloves off.

rpfan2008
01-14-2008, 03:01 PM
sorry to spam, and since this is grassroots, how about we include positions of other candidates. Under Iraq war Mccain voted yes etc.

negative

The ad looks great.

+1

few additions like these will make it look more meaningful I think..

opposes reinstating the draft : so that unjust wars doesn't reach your homes

opposes nation..: so that our forces can guard our own borders which are left open rather than dieing in countless Vietnams

adv fair trade..: so that our agreements doesn't backfire on our own economy

etc etc

Brian4Liberty
01-14-2008, 03:05 PM
"Fiscally responsible, with a track record to prove it"

"Wants to cut federal government spending"

"Is responsible with taxpayers money"

"doesn't spend taxpayer's money like a drunken sailor"

or something to that effect?

teleomorph
01-14-2008, 03:12 PM
20 million dollars doesn't mean anything to most people. Say he raised more money in a single day than any other pres candidate in history. Or that he raised more last quarter than any other rep candidate.

maybe something about health freedom / alternative medicine freedom since the state is the most advanced concerning holistic health / med marijuana?
And mention the fact that he is a Medical Doctor (not a PhD).

linusPAULing
01-14-2008, 03:29 PM

So we have a reference to individual supporters in the bullet above. How about

"and earned $20 million from XXX,XXX donations in the fourth quarter of 2007"

Off hand, I'm not seeing the actual number of donations at ronpaulgraphs.com.... anyone have it?

linusPAULing
01-14-2008, 03:32 PM
I would also remove the independentnews.com link, people might think he is not running republican

I understand your point, although it does say to register Republican nearby. Also,
our local newspaper happens to be called the Independent, and this ad is running in it,
so folks will already be reading that paper.

It's the largest circulation in the area at 43000, and the ad was only $285 so it was a pretty good deal. It's not a
partisan/political paper at all, so I don't believe people will have preconceived notions.

linusPAULing
01-14-2008, 03:56 PM
"Fiscally responsible, with a track record to prove it"

"Wants to cut federal government spending"

"Is responsible with taxpayers money"

"doesn't spend taxpayer's money like a drunken sailor"

or something to that effect?

So we did address never raising taxes and never voting for an unbalanced budget last week:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2404/2184478648_f1dd669e57.jpg?v=0

Do you think we to address it again here?

Do you agree with going after John McCain's comment on 100 years in Iraq?

BTW, we are also planning two more ads, Jan 21 and Jan 28. And of course, we are looking at more papers. So we'll be able to focus on spending in the future ads.

Brian4Liberty
01-14-2008, 04:08 PM
So we did address never raising taxes and never voting for an unbalanced budget last week:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2404/2184478648_f1dd669e57.jpg?v=0

Do you think we to address it again here?

Do you agree with going after John McCain's comment on 100 years in Iraq?

BTW, we are also planning two more ads, Jan 21 and Jan 28. And of course, we are looking at more papers. So we'll be able to focus on spending in the future ads.

Love the "never raising taxes". Worth repeating it at some point.

You may want to address "reducing Federal Spending" directly..."balanced budget" is good too, but that wouldn't necessarily mean spending cuts...

Maybe "reduce Federal Expenses"? "Eliminate deficit spending"? Many ways to put that...

Probably best not to mix a negative on another candidate in the same, positive ad about Ron Paul...imho...

Broken Record
01-14-2008, 04:12 PM
On the tag line where it says "Dr. Ron Paul is the only major Presidential Candidate who:" I would do something to bring more attention to the word only. Perhaps it could be in bold or italics or underlined or a combination of one or more of those. It's a very very important word.

trey4sports
01-14-2008, 04:12 PM
END THE WAR ON DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!

california is very liberal on the war on drugs, hit this hard!!! specifically mention it

mexicanpizza
01-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Didn't read the other suggestiong, but wouldn't hurt to include both RP's positions on gay marriage and the drug war. :D

linusPAULing
01-14-2008, 04:35 PM
We just got funding to double the size of the ad!

krott5333
01-14-2008, 04:39 PM
I think you should put "STOP THE CORRUPTION IN WASHINGTON" somewhere real big on there.

Cyclone
01-14-2008, 04:48 PM
The economy is first on everyone's minds. It should be the first issue in your ad. I don't know how to write copy, so this just a concept:

Ron Paul has the solutions for our economy, not just slogans.

RonPaul_SantaMonica
01-14-2008, 04:50 PM

california is very liberal on the war on drugs, hit this hard!!! specifically mention it

Good point.

RonPaul_SantaMonica
01-14-2008, 04:51 PM
The economy is first on everyone's minds. It should be the first issue in your ad. I don't know how to write copy, so this just a concept:

Me like. We should also say he was/is on the house banking committee....

linusPAULing
01-14-2008, 05:14 PM

So I agree we should use an economy bullet. Who has great Ron Paul bullet points on the economy?

Saving the dollar might have some promise.

AceNZ
01-14-2008, 05:14 PM
I hate to rain on your parade, but I think the tone of the ad is entirely wrong. People won't get it. As has been discussed in other threads, people vote based on emotion, not based on reason. Laying out a bunch of facts is just not going to be effective.

I would keep it to only 3 or 4 points, with a much more emotional impact. For example:

End the Iraq Occupation
-- bring our troops home!
More money for your family
-- stop the hidden tax of inflation
Stop government intrusion into your privacy

Vote Ron Paul for President!

linusPAULing
01-14-2008, 05:19 PM

The consensus of the meetup here is that the demographic might not be as warm to ending the war on drugs as areas west of us. We are in the far east bay and the population is on average older and not as liberal. I think we need ads in SF and the near east bay though with

ending the war on drugs
legalizing medical marijuana
opposing an amendment illegalizing gay marriage

Can anyone else in SF and near east bay get on some ads asap?

krott5333
01-14-2008, 05:28 PM
yeah, if its going in California, the war on drugs is probably the one issue that is going to draw more attention that anything else.

I personally think you have too much in the ad. People have ADD.

Big bold letters..

END THE WAR ON DRUGS!
END THE WAR IN IRAQ!
END THE CORRUPTION IN GOVERNMENT

Ron Paul 2008.
The end of the same. The beginning of a new.

UK4Paul
01-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Can I ask why ABOLISHING THE INCOME TAX is never mentioned? I'd imagine that would go down well... :)

linusPAULing
01-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Can I ask why ABOLISHING THE INCOME TAX is never mentioned? I'd imagine that would go down well... :)

IMO RP needs needs to be more precise on this issue. I personally love the idea, but everyone's response is "what would he replace it with." Of course RP claims "nothing" but doesn't provide enough detail on how this is possible. I think he needs hard cold numbers to justify his position.

Until he does that, I fear this is one of the hot button issues the media uses to marginalize him. Thus I'm reluctant because personally I can't explain how its possible if people ask me.

Reducing spending overseas I believe is the most important thing, but I'm not sure how much of the income tax we can offset that way. I'd love to know :)

linusPAULing
01-14-2008, 06:33 PM
I hate to rain on your parade, but I think the tone of the ad is entirely wrong. People won't get it. As has been discussed in other threads, people vote based on emotion, not based on reason. Laying out a bunch of facts is just not going to be effective.

I would keep it to only 3 or 4 points, with a much more emotional impact. For example:

End the Iraq Occupation
-- bring our troops home!
More money for your family
-- stop the hidden tax of inflation
Stop government intrusion into your privacy and civil liberties

Vote Ron Paul for President!

Excellent point. What do you think about this:

Dr. Ron Paul will end the Iraq Occupation

* advocates an immediate and orderly withdrawal
* believes our presence is aiding the recruitment of terrorists
* admonishes recent calls for a 100 year troop presense in Iraq
* advocates hunting down the terrorists responsible for 9/11

Dr. Ron Paul will fix the economy

* never voted for an unbalanced budget or to raise taxes
* will work to phase out the IRS
* will stop the looting of social security
* will save trillions overseas by ending police actions around the globe
* will work to restore jobs lost to unfair trade agreements including NAFTA, CAFTA, and GATT

Dr. Ron Paul will stop government intrusion into your privacy

* voted against the Patriot Act
* voted against the REAL ID Act
* voted to reinstate Habeas Corpus
* opposes the FDA's move for greater control over nutrients and vitamins