PDA

View Full Version : What it takes to be a Precinct Captain

BLS
01-14-2008, 12:37 PM
1. Sign up on Ron Paul 2008.com (takes about 1 minute)
2. Go to your primary election or Caucus (usually at local high school/library)
3. Vote for other Ron Paul precinct captains.
4. Enjoy.

It's that freaking simple.

There is NO committment. You are just going in to vote for other Ron Paul people.

You don't have to give a speech, or schmooze anyone, or anything.
You just have to sign up and vote. Takes about 1hr out of your life.

If you can't do that, you don't deserve freedom.

Phantom
01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
If you can't do that, you don't deserve freedom

Well Said!

Shame I don't live in the US, I would be up for it.

Come on Paulites, get out there and win this thing.

There are now:

6,770 Leaders in
6,181 Precincts

Earlier today it was:

6,289 Leaders in
5,774 Precincts

Come on guys Keep it up!

Bump!

BLS
01-14-2008, 01:13 PM
bump....c'mon people!!!

We have over 100,000 meetup members. that's nearly enough people RIGHT THERE to WIN THIS THING....

gb13
01-14-2008, 01:18 PM
4. Enjoy.

There is NO committment. You are just going in to vote for other Ron Paul people.

I'm confused. I signed up to be a precinct captain, and I was under the impression that I was supposed to go out and canvass my precinct. I was even given a list of all voters in my precinct: addresses, ph#, party affiliation, etc.

I haven't heard about this "vote for Ron Paul people" thing...

What gives?

Jobarra
01-14-2008, 01:20 PM
4. Enjoy.

Precinct Leaders are to canvass other voters and get out the vote near election day, not to 'vote for other precinct leaders'. I'm not even sure what you are talking about. I'm the only precinct leader that is on the ballot that I know of and it's not because I'm a precinct leader but because I signed up to be a delegate and I am in competition with another person who signed up to be a Paul delegate in the same At-Large State position for a delegate.

I'm confused. I signed up to be a precinct captain, and I was under the impression that I was supposed to go out and canvass my precinct. I was even given a list of all voters in my precinct: addresses, ph#, party affiliation, etc.

What gives?
I think he's the one who's confused. You are correct. Get out and canvass and win votes for Dr. Paul. My personal experience is that the vast number of people are undecided. Oh, and thank you for signing up to canvass.

prlgrl
01-14-2008, 01:20 PM

What gives?

That was my question, also. I am signed up, too. Not all states are the same. Perhaps the op is referring to delegates? My state already has ours on the ballot.

robert4rp08
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM

What gives?

I was confused by the original post too. I thought this was an organized effort to canvass every precinct in the US.

BLS
01-14-2008, 01:26 PM
My apologies...you guys may be right.

My state has a CAUCUS....Primaries are probably much different.

Sorry.

(just trying to get people involved)

gb13
01-14-2008, 01:29 PM
OK. So BLS was mistaken.

A precinct captain's duties (in States with primaries) are to aggressively canvass his/her precinct before the primary. It may be different for States with a caucus.

Thank you, Jobarra, for helping to clear that up.

No problem, BLS, it's understandable.

Jobarra
01-14-2008, 01:34 PM
My apologies...you guys may be right.

My state has a CAUCUS....Primaries are probably much different.

Sorry.

(just trying to get people involved)
Well, even a caucus needs voters, and the best part is if YOU are informed about the caucus of your precinct, you can get your voters to stay and vote for delegates if it's anything like the Iowa caucus where 80% of the voters seemed to leave after the STRAW POLL vote but before the PRECINCT DELEGATE vote(the real winners of the election).

In fact, I would say precinct leaders in caucus states can have a far greater impact on the vote than in primary states. You have personally talked with the people that will be voting. Face time with them is invaluable and if you are running for the delegate of the precinct, you will have a MUCH greater chance of winning if you have actually talked with them. Please, make sure you are WELL informed of how your caucus operates and that you let your voters know who to vote for and how long they have to stay to vote for the actual delegates. Knowledgeable caucus goers can win delegates where other campaigns fail.

markderidder
01-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Yes, the original poster in this thread is confused. I am a precinct captain and I'm just putting literature on all the doors in my precinct. I try to talk to as many people as i can about Ron Paul, but thats only been about 25 so far. I identify who the supporters are and then tomorrow make sure they go vote by calling or e-mailing them. Also, I make sure that every supporter has a sign in their yard, and a sign at the polling place.

Its not a rigorous commitment, but it's not a walk in the park either (unless your precinct has a big park in it).

There is a list of people in your precinct on the main site with info on how they swing (left or right) as well as addresses and phone numbers. They encourage you to call each one and ask a survey to see if they support Ron Paul, but that takes a lot of time (and guts). I've only done a few of those.

Overall, its a great thing to do if you want to help get Ron Paul elected. I'm enjoying it!

-Mark

Jobarra
01-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Here is the info from The Green Papers website on Minnesota:

Tuesday 5 February 2008: Republican Party Caucuses meet in each precinct. Each Precinct Caucus chooses the precinct's delegates to the BPOU [="Basic Political Organization Unit"] Convention. There will also be a non-binding straw poll re: Presidential Preference held in coordination with these Precinct Caucuses.

There is no formal system applied in the Precinct Caucuses to relate the presidential preference of the Caucus participants to the choice of the precinct's delegates to the Republican Convention of the BPOU [which may be a County, State Senate District or State House District] in which the precinct is located. The participants at each Precinct Caucus alone determine if presidential preference is to be a factor in such choice and, if so, how it is to be applied.

Saturday 15 March - Saturday 19 April 2008 (tentative date): Republican Party BPOU [="Basic Political Organization Unit"] Conventions convene in each BPOU. Each BPOU [either a County, State Senate District or State House District] Convention chooses delegates to both the Congressional District Conventions and the State Convention.

BPOU Conventions choose both the BPOU's delegates to the Republican Party Convention of the Congressional District the BPOU is a part of as well as the BPOU's delegates to the Minnesota State Republican Convention. Again, there is no formal system applied in the BPOU Convention to relate the presidential preference of the BPOU Convention delegates to the choice of the BPOU's delegates to either the Republican Convention of the Congressional District in which the BPOU is located or the Minnesota State Republican Convention. The delegates in attendance at each BPOU Convention alone determine if presidential preference is to be a factor and, if so, how it is to be applied.

Saturday 3 May - Saturday 24 May 2008 (tentative date): Republican Party District Conventions convene in each congressional district. As the delegates to the Minnesota State Republican Convention have already been chosen, the sole business of the District Convention- insofar as the presidential campaign is concerned- is that of choosing the delegates to the Republican National Convention from the said congressional district.

Each of Minnesota's 8 congressional districts is assigned 3 National Convention delegates. Thus, a total of 24 district delegates will be chosen by these Congressional District Conventions. These 24 delegates to the Republican National Convention will be allocated to the presidential contenders in such a way as to be determined by each Congressional District Convention. Once more, there is no formal system governing how the District Convention is to go about indicating its presidential preference in its choice of the National Convention delegates from a given congressional district. It is the delegates in attendance at the Congressional District Convention alone who decide how best to go about this.
Saturday 3 May 2008 (tentative): Conventions in CDs 2, 6, and 8 (9 delegates allocated)
Saturday 10 May 2008 (tentative): Conventions in CDs 4 and 5 (6 delegates allocated)
Saturday 17 May 2008 (tentative): Convention in CD 7 (3 delegates allocated)
Saturday 24 May 2008 (tentative): Conventions in CDs 1 and 3 (6 delegates allocated)
Congressional district delegates are generally not bound.

Saturday 7 June 2008 (tentative date): The Minnesota State Republican Convention officially convenes. The State Convention chooses the 14 at-large delegates (10 base at-large delegates plus 4 bonus delegates) to the Republican National Convention.

There is no formal system of allocating these 14 at-large National Convention delegates to presidential contenders. These delegates will be allocated according to the vote of the Minnesota State Convention as a whole.
At-large delegates may be bound on the first ballot if directed by the state convention.

In addition, 3 party leaders, the National Committeeman, the National Committeewoman, and the chairman of the Minnesota's Republican Party, will attend the convention as unpledged delegates by virtue of their position.

It looks like they take a possibly meaningless straw poll(depending on what the precinct leaders decide the poll means) at each precinct just like the Iowa did. If it's anything like Iowa, and the straw poll isn't used for determining who gets the delegates, then you can win delegates for Dr. Paul if you just get people to stick around for the delegate vote. This is EXTREMELY important and your work can personally win delegates for Dr. Paul. Almost wish we had a caucus here as the caucuses lend more to dedicated supporters like us :(.

jrich4rpaul
01-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Why don't you put the link in the OP for the lazy people?

http://voters.ronpaul2008.com

Jobarra
01-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Or in the sig? ;)

Cyclone
01-14-2008, 01:57 PM
I am an official precinct committeeman in my legislative district. I go to GOP meetings, am given walking lists to contact people and I will be eligible to vote for delegates because I signed up six months ago to do this for Ron Paul. (People signing up now in my state are not eligible to vote for delegates. It is too late).

Is what you all are doing different than this?

kotetu
01-14-2008, 02:19 PM
edit - removed post