PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to buy land and a safe-haven?

rodent
01-14-2008, 10:29 AM

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-14-2008, 10:34 AM
I have suggested that we all move to a state like Montana, Wyoming, etc, and take it over. Then we resist the federal income tax. :)

pcosmar
01-14-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm assuming there's going to be a huge financial collapse, but the question is: Is it practical to buy a plot of land and a river/lake fishing hole?

I live in NYC. If I see Bush bombing Iran or some totally crazy event, I am getting the hell out of this city. The question is: will it be safer in a rural area living off the land, or will everyone else have the same idea?

How should I allocate my resources now to protect myself and my most important belongings? Guns, yes. But what else? Are there web sites out there that talk about properly preparing for a dollar collapse?

Land is always a good investment, just don't over extend your self in debt.
There are several survival sites, and supply sites.
I grew up in my woods, I know the area, the wildlife and where to find food under the snow.
I have a "masters" in survival.

There are survival courses and schools.
I have not checked out any so I can not recommend any.
google is your friend.

Mauiboy86
01-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Lets all put our money together and purchase a private island off the coat of Costa Rica or Panama, some even come with airplanes and boats...
http://www.privateislandsonline.com/

perrootsdotorg
01-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Lets all put our money together and purchase a private island off the coat of Costa Rica or Panama, some even come with airplanes and boats...
http://www.privateislandsonline.com/

I think you actually just "lease" them from the government - at least you do in the Bahamas. You are still under their laws. America has its issues, but you don't want to be under the laws of Panama, believe me...

perrootsdotorg
01-14-2008, 11:30 AM
You don't really own land in the USA. They just let you use it until they claim eminent domain. They continue to tax you on it. If you have a conventional mortgage, you are paying the central bank for the right to use the property.

This is an extreme view, but as we live under the oppression of government, we know that they can take it at anytime and there isn't a damn thing you can do. :mad:

Unless we take our country back!

Mauiboy86
01-14-2008, 11:36 AM
You don't really own land in the USA. They just let you use it until they claim eminent domain. They continue to tax you on it. If you have a conventional mortgage, you are paying the central bank for the right to use the property.

This is an extreme view, but as we live under the oppression of government, we know that they can take it at anytime and there isn't a damn thing you can do. :mad:

Unless we take our country back!

Very True, The thing to do is look for the most free country and one specifically that stays out of entagling alliances and oil wars for profit. New Zealand may be a good place to start looking, the South Pacific is beautiful..If you really want to get away try the remote islands of Papua New Guinea!

Kaneda
01-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Guys, i think you should take a look at this Free State Project (http://www.freestateproject.org/) ;)

2young2vote
01-14-2008, 03:30 PM
I would be less scared of a bomb dropping on you than a depression. If you are actually serious i would suggest buying alot of water bottles and lots of canned food. Don't rent or get a loan for your house so you actually OWN it and the Bank doesn't have the ability to take it away.

My dad has already bought some late 19th century Russian Rifles for my brother and I because they don't have to be registerd so the government does not know about them.

Is my family just paranoid or is this actually going to go to use some day?

Richie
01-14-2008, 04:18 PM
I would be less scared of a bomb dropping on you than a depression. If you are actually serious i would suggest buying alot of water bottles and lots of canned food. Don't rent or get a loan for your house so you actually OWN it and the Bank doesn't have the ability to take it away.

My dad has already bought some late 19th century Russian Rifles for my brother and I because they don't have to be registerd so the government does not know about them.

I'd like to see what those 19th century rifles look like!

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-14-2008, 06:04 PM

Your family's either paranoid, or you have good foresight. We'll know when you know.

Lois
01-14-2008, 06:58 PM
It's easy to survive --

After being a raw food vegetarian for 7 years, I've proved we don't need to eat animals to survive. You can dry loads of fruit for winter and you can grow loads of sprouts and greens inside with water, hydroponically. Sprouting seeds are real cheap to buy. Nuts also are easy to store and keep a long time. All you need is nuts/seeds, sprouts, vegetables and fruits. You can have a goat for raw goat's milk and cheese, also.

Just move down south a bit -- I'm in Virginia - and you wouldn't even need much heat to keep warm in the winter.

ShaneC
01-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Lois, if "it" hits the fan, can I migrate your way? :D

ItsTime
01-14-2008, 08:51 PM
hahaha YOU WILL NEVER OWN LAND you ask the government if you can lease land from them. They can take it from you any time they feel they want.

CountryboyRonPaul
01-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Well, being a southerner, I recommend moving into a rural area down south.

Plus, if the proverbial sh*t ever does hit the fan, us Southerners will never give up our guns.

I live in a small rural town of 800 people about 20 miles West of where the Eyewall of Hurricane Katrina passed, and about 40 miles north of New Orleans. Pretty much every road within 30 miles was blanketted with trees.

Within 2 days our community had banded together and cleared every major highway and most of the side roads with little government help, just the 15 man volunteer fire department and a bunch of privately owned dozers/tractors/chainsaws. On the 3rd day we were making regular convoys to Baton Rouge to buy gas and supplies.

The people down here have a can do attitude, and are willing to help those in need.

If tyranny in the government ever becomes a reality, there is no place I would rather be.... Well other than another country, but you get the point.

I'll say this though, there is a lot of very cheap land in Mississippi not to far North from my area of Louisiana, $1500 per acre is not rare, and it's not bad farm land.

Elliott
01-14-2008, 09:22 PM

You can buy things like M4s and AK47's in pieces. The lower receiver is the only piece that must be registered, but if it itself is not complete you don't even have to register that. You can buy those 90% complete and all you have to do is drill some holes and put the thing together. I believe the whole process is perfectly legal as long as you keep it for your own personal use.

livinitup
01-14-2008, 09:34 PM
There are two issues.

First economic: Buy gold, silver, platinum and even copper. These commodities will always be worth something to someone even if it's in another country.

Also buying real estate is a hedge against inflation. You will still only owe what you borrow no matter how worthless the dollar is. So if the dollar drops 50% the cost of your debt will effectively go down.

Example, someone buying a home in 1977. Say they paid $70,000. That home is most likely worth 4 or 5 times that price today. In this instance inflation is your friend.

Now Survival: In the event that we have a minor incident dry goods, water, spices, ammo, plastic bags, appropriate clothing for the climate and everything else that we need to wait it out.

The most important thing during a disaster is to maintain a healthy state of mind for you and your family. When you are thinking clearly you will make much better decisions in a pinch.

If it is a nationwide disaster the rural areas will experience much less hysteria. A stock pile of the needed supplies, a means to make water, grow or hunt food, and some items to barter with.

A good book I've been reading is "When All Hell Breaks Lose."

richyrichard
01-14-2008, 10:16 PM
I believe the Rocky Mountain States will be the safest place to live when World War III begins. The Smoky Mountains will be the second safest place.

driller80545
01-14-2008, 10:21 PM
I think you actually just "lease" them from the government - at least you do in the Bahamas. You are still under their laws. America has its issues, but you don't want to be under the laws of Panama, believe me...

You might need to research that statement. You would be pleasantly surprised.

MsDoodahs
01-14-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm assuming there's going to be a huge financial collapse, but the question is: Is it practical to buy a plot of land and a river/lake fishing hole?

It depends. Are you comfortable living off the land or not? If you're living in NYC but already have the skills, then it would make sense. If you're living in NYC and haven't the first clue about how to be self sufficient, ... then, not so much.

I live in NYC. If I see Bush bombing Iran or some totally crazy event, I am getting the hell out of this city. The question is: will it be safer in a rural area living off the land, or will everyone else have the same idea?

I would think that many people in the larger cities might choose to get out. Again, the question goes back to your skills - do you have the right ones to live off the land in the first place?

How should I allocate my resources now to protect myself and my most important belongings? Guns, yes. But what else? Are there web sites out there that talk about properly preparing for a dollar collapse?

http://www.backwoodshome.com/

Not specifically dollar collapse, but self sufficient living. :)

Paul4Prez
01-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Some discussion of places to go here:

http://www.joelskousen.com/forums/index.html

http://www.joelskousen.com/Strategic/strategic.html

Matt Collins
01-15-2008, 12:51 AM
You don't really own land in the USA. Eminent domain issues aside, you are correct in most places except for Texas I believe. If you don't pay property taxes, they take your land and sell it.

How can they take something that you have legally bought and paid for and own? Taxing on the sale or the transaction makes sense, however the continual taxation of property that is yours is patently absurd! :mad:

Research something called "allodial title". If I remember correctly this is a result of some Lincoln era Civil War policy bullshit.

Here is a good starting point but is never a complete and reliable resource:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allodial_title

Matt Collins
01-15-2008, 12:54 AM
I live in a small rural town of 800 people about 20 miles West of where the Eyewall of Hurricane Katrina passed, and about 40 miles north of New Orleans. Pretty much every road within 30 miles was blanketted with trees.

Within 2 days our community had banded together and cleared every major highway and most of the side roads with little government help, just the 15 man volunteer fire department and a bunch of privately owned dozers/tractors/chainsaws. On the 3rd day we were making regular convoys to Baton Rouge to buy gas and supplies.

EXACTLY!!!

The federal government should not be expected to provide anything like that because they are slow, cumbersome, and largely incompetent. Citizens have to fend for themselves and be able to survive on their own, and band together as a community helping each other.

youngbuck
01-15-2008, 04:28 AM
This is what I plan on doing in the near future:

Getting armed. I already have a few guns, but I need another AK, getting an XCR, a sweet shotty... I'll also be getting a good amount of ammo, and plan on putting a lot of training in on getting more proficient with my skillz. Reloading my own ammo with good equipment is also a goal. I'd like to have a lot of raw reloading materials on hand (bullets, primers, powder, etc.)

Get a Berkey water filter that can supply me and everyone around me clean water for an extended period of time.

Investing in a survival food supply. I plan on buying some kits similar to if not what's here: http://www.efoodsdirect.com/

I will continue to invest in silver coin and bullion. I have a small but respectable collection right now. I already got some copper, so maybe that'll help me out one day.

There's lots of other things to you could do. Make sure you have plenty of hygiene products stockpiles. Soap, toothpaste and toothbrushes, etc. I can see many reasons to have hygiene materials and other toiletries in a SHTF scenario. I could see them even being bartered with. If you live somewhere where it gets cold outside, plan on being able to sleep and survive without any electricity or natural gas to keep you warm. Get and keep yourself healthy and fit...

DarkLaw
01-15-2008, 04:30 AM

www.alpharubicon.com

THE premiere site for anything relating to 'preparing for _____' (insert whatever there).