PDA

View Full Version : What not to do when calling the Republican Committee...

gracebkr
01-14-2008, 10:22 AM
I called the Republican Committee in Indiana to see how to become a State delegate for Ron Paul. I said to to woman who answered "How do become a delegate for Ron Paul?" she replied "You have to check out his website because we don't have any information on that campaign." I said then "Well isn't becoming a delegate for any candidate the same? I mean why would there be different rules on becoming a delegate for each candidate?" She says she is not sure and for me to go to his website which is -----" I then said to her, "I did and it told me to call you." Then she said "um, hold on please." The nest lady got on the phone and I asked how to become a delegate period. She gave me the info for becoming a state delegate and that was it. Beware all.

ambiguousscion
01-14-2008, 10:32 AM
It just sounds like the usual, gov employees that are not informed...

Crickett
01-14-2008, 10:36 AM
When I called I said I would like to JOIN THE committee and even possibly see about becoming a delegate. I got a fine answer. Remember--some states supposedly bind delegates to a candidate, or have to be elected by others. So it is more important INITIALLY to join the GOP committee and become active at the SAME time as finding out how to become a delegate. Just sayin'....

Eponym_mi
01-14-2008, 10:36 AM

Those aren't gov't employees. They are employees of the her state GOP Office, which appear to be trying to stack the deck for one of their "mainstream" candidates.

gracebkr
01-14-2008, 10:45 AM
There is no way to know what she was thinking or doing. All I know is that we need to make sure we don't say thank you and hang up. Then go to the site, see what you already knew and get discouraged from trying. Clearly she knew she did not have the answer and when I pressed just a little further I got someone else who answered my question. There was a little birdy in my head though that told me not to say his name again.

I mean, if she didn't know the answer to my question, which she KNEW she did not know it, why try to answer it? Who the hell does that? I could not imagine in one location in my personal life or professional life where if I was asked a question and I did not know the answer I would guess! Not even that she guessed, but answered like she was right! It is odd.

IrishUp
01-14-2008, 11:21 AM
At least she directed you to the campaign website, instead of hanging up, or saying she didn't know (click), or claiming there was a problem with the connection while she crumpled a piece of cellophane.

Ira Aten
01-14-2008, 11:39 AM

With all due respect, it wasn't an issue of her being a government employee, nor uninformed. She was a Party worker, not a government employee, if I read his statement correctly. She also was not "uninformed" she was simply not familiar with the term "Ron Paul Delegate" since they are just "delegates" who vote for a county party level nomination.

You first become a party delegate, not a Ron Paul delegate. You then vote for the candidate of your choice by caucusing for a particular candidate, and then you are a Ron Paul delegate.
So even though she could have easily said, sir, you become a party delegate by X, she has no obligation (other than moral) to help the guy out.