PDA

View Full Version : (I'm a precint leader) Am I allowed to...

Psych0t
01-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Am I allowed to go door to door?

At what time am I allowed to call each house?

Should I steer clear of houses with a low conservative rating?

How should I greet the people at each house?

Should I dress casually?

I have no slimjims or items of the sort, should I wait to get them before going out?

Any other tips would be welcome, thanks

Psych0t
01-13-2008, 11:40 PM
bump

exer51
01-13-2008, 11:40 PM
I would reccommend common sense. If your area is classy, dress classy... If not don't. Don't bother people late at night by calling or knocking(YES you're supposed to go door to door. Do it with 1 other person BTW.) Tailor the message to their rating. For instance a low rating might equal "Hello how are you doing today? Would you be interested in hearing about the only major candidate who wants the troops out of Iraq IMMEDIATELY" whereas at a house that lists gun rights and a high rating might be "Hello sir, do you think the United States Constitution is important? Ron Paul has NEVER voted for a single piece of gun legislation that limts firearms use"

etc etc etc. Like I said, common sense.

Psych0t
01-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Good advice. I need to find a political partner to help me with this then... It's hard enough to convince people, dedication is a hard find around here.

Scott Wilson
01-13-2008, 11:50 PM
I go door to door by myself.

I knock every registered voter. I give super packets to those with a high conservative rating/influence/G,T,L.

I give a generic slim jim to those with a lot rating.

I also give the Dear America Letter and the Terrorism Letter to everyone.

http://files.meetup.com/593250/Ron%20Paul%27s%20Strategy%20on%20Terrorism.doc
http://files.meetup.com/593250/Dear%20American.doc

Psych0t
01-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Okay, so it's not really a verbal issue as it is a material issue, is that about right?

rooteroa
01-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Does anyone here just do blind drops? I don't have the time to go door to door these days and speak to everyone. Where do you put the materials? The slim jims dont exactly have an easy way to put them in plain sight lol

tonyr1988
01-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Does anyone here just do blind drops? I don't have the time to go door to door these days and speak to everyone. Where do you put the materials? The slim jims dont exactly have an easy way to put them in plain sight lol

You can either:

a) Put the slim jims by themselves (or with other materials) in doorframes, newspaper holders, etc. (No mailboxes!) it helps to fold them once, or twice (if it's a big gap in the door), and cram them in there. It's pretty easy to do, once you get the hang of it, and it's almost unavoidable by people, especially if it's in the doorway. We have lots of companies do that around here, so it's usually not frowned upon, but your neighborhoods may differ.

b) For a more professional approach (and if you have time before your primary/caucus), you can buy those little plastic doorhanging bags, and pack them with slim jims and/or other materials (just some simple, plain-paper information specific to your state, such as open/closed, voter registration deadlines, etc. can help answer FAQs and work well when coupled with slim jims). They stretch a little bit to hang around doorknobs. They look very nice, and there's almost no chance of being blown away by wind. I can find links if you need them.

literatim
01-14-2008, 12:07 AM
You need to watch the videos that is on the precinct leader page and read the instructions pdf.

Akus
01-14-2008, 12:08 AM

Should I dress casually?

I have no slimjims or items of the sort, should I wait to get them before going out?

Contact whatever place made you a precinct leader and ask for the addresses of the people who have voted in the last primary. All of them, regardless of the party affiliation. Then start knocking on doors. Let them know that you're running for precinct chair (unless I misunderstood your original post) and tell them about Ron Paul.

six billion people - six billion ways to break the ice.

With some it's a simple do you intend to vote in primaries this time?
For others it's are you following the current presidential debates?

Play it by ear.

all J's in IL for RP
01-14-2008, 12:25 AM

Probably better than phone canvasing.

I wouldn't canvass door to door past six; even that may be pushing things. Also depends on neighborhood.

Don't stear clear of progressive households if your state is an open or semi-open primary. Use independent slim-jims / dem leaning flyers. Target your message towards the household; get an idea of what they think is important and, If Ron's positions suit them, sell them on it.

Simple introductions are best. Hello, name, purpose. Don't give them an excuse to close the door on you (by being apologetic or by saying such as "I hope I'm not disturbing you")

Should I dress casually?

Dress smartly. Maybe not a three-piece suit, but something more than jeans and a tee-shirt. For what it's worth, I've never seen any canvaser dressed in anything but slacks; most wear ties. Of course, rural locales might be more forgiving. And for the youths out there, shave and a hair cut! It grows back. People are FAR more receptive if the package is appealing. Basic stuff here.

I'd wait for the slim-jims; they hang around longer than you do, and reach more in the household than just the person who answered the door.

Be knowledgeable on Ron's positions, don't push your own. Present the voter with alternative sources of information (have the campaign phone numbers of both state and national and Ron's webpage.) Don't get into arguments. If they're not interested, leave with a friendly wave. Good impressions last.

Oh. And if they're telling you he's got their vote, get their names for the get out the vote effort!

justinc.1089
01-14-2008, 12:27 AM
There is a video, actually two or more I think, on ronpaul2008.com about going door to door. If you can't find it on there look for it on youtube by searching ron paul door to door or something like that until you find a video about this.

When you talk to someone don't start with a specific issue like that other person on here suggested. People who do a lot of door to door will tell you not to, and the videos say not to as well, and if you have talked to lots of people about Paul you will find if you bring up an issue you did not need to, it may get you in a hole you have to get out of that didn't need to be dug to start with. If you name some issue and then of course tell Paul's stance on it, it may cause you some trouble you didn't want like having to explain it thoroughly, cite evidence to back it up if its a really picky person, or you may just lose them because of the one issue.

What you want to do is to ask THEM what THEIR issue is. Some people will have one or two issues that are important to them, but most people will probably just say that there are a lot of issues that are important to them. And thats when you just tell them some generic plain, dull info about Paul that is pretty much exactly the same thing that will be on the slimjim or whatever you are leaving with them. If they like something you say, then obviously elaborate on it a bit and just have a conversation with them about it.

The more they say about an issue themselves, the more likely they will be to decide to vote for Paul, and the higher your chance of success will be.

Thats the key to selling anything, let people talk themselves into it. You don't want to say ANYTHING you don't need to, or that the person does not want to hear possibly.

So get some slimjims, watch the youtube videos about going door to door, and just be very open to people and friendly. Have a short conversation with them, but know exactly what you will say to start off with. This is what I say, you can do the same thing if you think its fine, it seems to work ok for me:

Hi I'm Justin, nice to meet you. (shakes their hand) I'm volunteering with Ron Paul's presidential campaign/ I'm with Ron Paul's grassroots. Have you heard of Ron Paul?

They say yes or no, it doesn't really make any difference to me for what I say next usually unless I get an unusual answer like "Yeah I've heard of him and he sucks! He's an ultra-liberal and I hate his guts! What's he ever done? Nothing!" (slams door) Or a better one "Yeah I'm voting for him"

Well do you think you will probably be voting in the republican primary?

If they say no and it seems like they really aren't going to be I thank them for their time and move on. Don't waste time with people that don't vote.

If they say yes:

Well is there anything that is important to you in this election, like any certain issue or anything?

If they name an issue try to get them to speak their own opinion about it, because it will probably agree with Paul's position, and you can just let them know thats what Paul thinks too, and explain more about his position to them because they now know that Paul agrees with them. They know that they and Paul are on the same side on this issue, so you're now well on your way to having them at least considering Paul or listening to you to find out more about him.

If you do a good job on an important issue with them, usually they end up talking about everything relating to politics from what I have noticed, and then you can kind of tell them all about Paul. But you do not EVER bring up an issue they have not brought up. And yes, that means you will not be explaining the Federal Reserve and Austrian economics lol.

(If they talk about the economy the important things to talk about that they will understand that you can explain well are the income tax, spending, Paul's voting records of balanced budgets and no tax raising, and the connection of the war in Iraq to the economy, but be careful with that one if the person may be pro-war because you will then open up a debate which will lose their vote)

After talking with them for ideally only a minute or two, maybe more if you think you can absolutely get the vote and not just enlighten them about Paul lol, just leave them with a slimjim or something and thank them for their time and wish them a nice day.

I hope that helps you out.:)

tcindie
01-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Login to voters.ronpaul2008.com, get your precinct walk list, watch the training videos.. do what they suggest.

As for a blind lit drop, the best option for single family homes, is either in the NEWSPAPER box (no mailboxes, it's a felony) or the front door. Many people will frown on an outside door being opened to place something between it and an inside door (it's a lack of respect for privacy and property). What I do is roll the slim-jim into a cylinder shape and slide that between the door knob and door frame, or between the door and knob for doorknobs that are more of a lever shape.

Ultimately, going door to door and talking to people, taking notes, and following up later with leads is the best option for drumming up support -- just like any kind of sales -- but sometimes that's simply not possible due to time constraints in which case you can probably cover anywhere from 3 to 10 times as many houses if you don't stop to talk to anyone.

At it's simplest, all that need be said to someone is, "Hi, I'm ______, a volunteer for the Ron Paul presidential campaign. I just wanted to leave you some literature to review at your convenience." Of course, courtesy is paramount, so thanking them for their time and wishing them a good day is also a good idea.