PDA

View Full Version : What should I do at the polling place during election day?

xerigen
01-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Hello, I am a resident of Michigan and I have a couple of questions for election day. I am heading 30 minutes to my polling place (with 3 friends) to vote as soon as I get off of school on Tuesday (probably about 2:00). I want to stay at my polling place until it closes but I need to know what is legal and what would be the best thing to do.

Am I allowed to stand right outside of the polling place in the parking lot and wave signs? Should I hand out stickers, slim jims and buttons?

jrich4rpaul
01-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Am I allowed to stand right outside of the polling place in the parking lot and wave signs? Should I hand out stickers, slim jims and buttons?

Yes

garrettwombat
01-13-2008, 10:47 PM
in my state you cant have any political things within 500 feet of the voting building...

but what im going to do is put up massive amounts of signs at every voting place and try to stand out at some of them

xerigen
01-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Do you guys happen to know the Michigan rules? This is important as a lot of people decide when they get to the polls.

alexa doherty
01-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Do you guys happen to know the Michigan rules? This is important as a lot of people decide when they get to the polls.

I don't but someone might. In california we're going to have at least 2 people at each voting place to count/tally ron paul voters. Then we'll add them up online.

We'll be outside the voting place. You should have your meetup group do the same. Work in shifts.

FSP-Rebel
01-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Hello, I am a resident of Michigan and I have a couple of questions for election day. I am heading 30 minutes to my polling place (with 3 friends) to vote as soon as I get off of school on Tuesday (probably about 2:00). I want to stay at my polling place until it closes but I need to know what is legal and what would be the best thing to do.

You can do whatever yall want as long as you're 1000+ ft from the voting location. It should be obvious what the min. distances are once you see the other people there for the primary holding signs/lit what-have-you. If there's any ??'s just ask the poll workers.

all J's in IL for RP
01-14-2008, 12:48 AM
Better place to ask your question is in the "Winning Michigan" subforum.

Still,

Get a preview of the ballot so that you can print up simple voter guides on voting for Paul AND his delegates, if that's how it's done in Michigan. Work with the campaign in your state on doing this in all congressional districts (or however delegates are apportioned).

jblosser
01-14-2008, 12:51 AM
The minimum thing needed is people inside authorized by the campaign to check off our known voters as they vote, so that anyone that doesn't show up can be contacted before it's too late. Those people should also watch the polls in general and stay til the count is done. Once that's covered the rest who have already voted should be outside as close as possible or giving people rides, etc.

all J's in IL for RP
01-14-2008, 01:15 AM
Yeah, but the OP said he was only getting to the polling place around 2:30. A poll watcher should be there pretty much all day.

Giving rides is a good call, arrange it with the campaign.