PDA

View Full Version : No Solicitors..Prec. Leader Question

Bold As Love
01-13-2008, 07:27 PM
First week as precinct leader, been canvassing my neighborhood this weekend...awesome experience. Feeling so strongly about these issues for so long, it feels like I'm finally DOING something about it.

I have come across several houses (whole streets in some cases) with signs on the doors that say no soliciting...some even going so far as to say, no handouts, sales, politics, etc.

I am naturally very libertarian and respect their right to be left alone. I expect the same myself (although it hadn't occurred to me to put up such a sign, yet). I don't want to bother anyone. At the same time, I know that my candidate is the only one whose very essence is to LEAVE THEM ALONE, in a way, thats a key point to this campaign. There were a couple cases which my daughter (age 4) had run up and rung the bell before I saw the sign, so I stayed there and talked to them. The few people we did this to were actually quite receptive and friendly.

I don't want to be pushy and feel I may do the campaign a disservice by not respecting their request. Do you guys agree?

specsaregood
01-13-2008, 07:30 PM
First week as precinct leader, been canvassing my neighborhood this weekend...awesome experience. Feeling so strongly about these issues for so long, it feels like I'm finally DOING something about it.

I have come across several houses (whole streets in some cases) with signs on the doors that say no soliciting...some even going so far as to say, no handouts, sales, politics, etc.

I am naturally very libertarian and respect their right to be left alone. I expect the same myself (although it hadn't occurred to me to put up such a sign, yet). I don't want to bother anyone. At the same time, I know that my candidate is the only one whose very essence is to LEAVE THEM ALONE, in a way, thats a key point to this campaign. There were a couple cases which my daughter (age 4) had run up and rung the bell before I saw the sign, so I stayed there and talked to them. The few people we did this to were actually quite receptive and friendly.

I don't want to be pushy and feel I may do the campaign a disservice by not respecting their request. Do you guys agree?

For houses with signs like that, I just leave the slimjimin in the screen door, folded through the doorhandle or propped up against the door. They are making their desire to be left alone known, so I respect it and just leave the info for them unobtrusively and move on to the next house, there are plenty more to do.

prlgrl
01-13-2008, 07:31 PM
I was told that no soliciting is much like do not call, not applicable to political canvassing. I was told to respect no trespassing signs, however.

Mark Rushmore

I agree.

Bruehound
As a former candidate for State Rep here in Illinois I can assure you those no soliciting stickers are NOT applicable to a political/civic visit. I have knocked on over 20,000 doors over the past 2 years and only four times did a homeowner make reference to the no soliciting sticker.

Bear in mind many of those stickers have been on the storm door for 30-40 years and survived multiple changes of ownership!!!!

wgadget
01-13-2008, 07:32 PM
And always avoid snarling pit bulls.

specsaregood
01-13-2008, 07:36 PM
I was told that no soliciting is much like do not call, not applicable to political canvassing. I was told to respect no trespassing signs, however.

They may not be applicable but it definitely shows their "desire" to be left alone. I respect that and just leave the slimjims discreetly. Lots more houses to do...

Bruehound
01-13-2008, 07:41 PM
And always avoid snarling pit bulls.

That reminds me.....a precinct worker's worst enemy is the yapping lapdog that will keep the homeowner so thoughroughly distracted so as to make meaningful communication impossible.

The solution is to bring a small bag of both small and large dog biscuits with you as you canvass. The instant you ring the doorbell you will know which size dog biscuit to hand the homeowners along with the slimjim, You just bought yourself 20 seconds of communication and a ton of goodwill.

As I said, I have done this for a number of years now.

firebirdnation
01-13-2008, 07:48 PM
I personally don't like being bothered at home and therefore I don't plan on bothering others when I canvass my area next week. I have a few different slimjims and I have punched holes in the top of them and tied a rubber band to them and will be putting them on doorknobs instead.

WilliamC
01-13-2008, 07:54 PM

You hit upon the perfect solution. Let your daughter run up and ring the doorbell. That way you can say "I am so sorry, I saw your sign and was leaving but my daughter rang the bell before I could stop her"

Perfect excuse for a bother :)

I hope to start canvassing next weekend, I'll take my 9 year old son if he will go with me.

mavtek
01-13-2008, 07:56 PM
My advice keep a running total, write down the address and send them a postcard/slimjim in the mail.

Postcards will be cheaper.

firebirdnation
01-13-2008, 08:01 PM
You hit upon the perfect solution. Let your daughter run up and ring the doorbell. That way you can say "I am so sorry, I saw your sign and was leaving but my daughter rang the bell before I could stop her"

Perfect excuse for a bother :)

I hope to start canvassing next weekend, I'll take my 9 year old son if he will go with me.

Funny you mention your son, my 12 year old daughter can't wait to go with me. She is going to canvass one side of the street and I am going to canvass the other.

firebirdnation
01-13-2008, 08:02 PM
My advice keep a running total, write down the address and send them a postcard/slimjim in the mail.

Postcards will be cheaper.

Anyone know how to get your local Registered Republican mailing addresses?