PDA

View Full Version : Indy Run VS Governor Run In Texas

exer51
01-13-2008, 06:44 PM
I was thinking the other day about how we're all scheming about things to do AFTER the presidential race. I still have hope for the Republican nomination, albeit less than a month ago... BUT we must have a contingency plan no matter how hopeful we are.

Many want to go indy. I used to be totally behind this, however after talking with another RP chap who's an old timer in the GOP I have my doubts.

1. We will be greatly hampered in trying to retake the GOP if he does this. Making another 3rd party or even getting behind an existing one simply isn't going to cut it beyond maybe a few city council spots here and there.

2. Something I thought about was what about Governor Of Texas??? There was a big talk about making a REAL go at a Free State Project and I discounted Texas because of it's population size... HOWEVER thinking further on it we could give him so much money he'd be able to blast the competition to bits and pieces. The fact is that a Governor has 1000000 more power than a Congressman.

I think going indy for the presidential bid would hurt his chances of running for Governor in Texas, and in all honesty I think that is a much more realistic (and as such) a better goal.

Thoughts

Abyss
01-13-2008, 06:48 PM
I think it is pres or nothing.

If not pres then revolt.

DeadtoSin
01-13-2008, 06:52 PM
As a resident of Texas, if he does not get the nomination and he still ends up with the money....GOVERNOR RUN! Woot!

wgadget
01-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Hahaha....There was a special New Years Day show on Coast to Coast (radio show) where one psychic predicted just that...That Ron Paul would become GOVERNOR OF TEXAS.

If he wins, I will be moving to Texas.

Xonox
01-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Hahaha....There was a special New Years Day show on Coast to Coast (radio show) where one psychic predicted just that...That Ron Paul would become GOVERNOR OF TEXAS.

If he wins, I will be moving to Texas.

lol that would be rediculous... but is it still possible?

DeadtoSin
01-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Well, like I said, as a Texas resident I would be very happy if Ron Paul AT LEAST got governor. I'd be far happier with him as president, and thats what I'm pushing for. Still, the thought of him as a governor if something goes wrong with the campaign lessens my sadness at the thought of a loss...

I'd write to him once a week.

mconder
01-13-2008, 07:06 PM
It's smarter to run for governor, congressman, or senator to set up for a presidential run later.

Adrian.Bisson
01-13-2008, 07:07 PM
If Ron Paul, as governor of Texas, pardoned all non-violent drug offenders in Texas, what might the response of the federal government be?

IChooseLiberty
01-13-2008, 07:07 PM
I will move to anywhere he decides to run as governor.

haaaylee
01-13-2008, 07:11 PM
governor! i live in texas too. he's got a better shot against rick perry than good 'ole kinky friedman had. rick perry has got to go.

John P Slevin
01-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Like Ron Paul could be elected Governor of Texas?

Wake up, smell the coffee and get to work learning who liberty fighters are up against.

Same powers don't want him to be pres don't want him to be gov.

He'd have one hell of a fight just being recognized in the Texas primary....Texas election law doesn't make it simple to take on the power.

The logical thing is independent/third party...the GOP is a hopeless shell...no different than the Demo party; it's long past time to junk that old wreck.

wgadget
And if by some miracle, a federalist gets in as President (are there any?), Texas would be one helluva place to live...

RP Supporter
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I have heard the governor of Texas is one of the weakest governors when it comes to the powers given to them. If this is the case, Ron might not be able to get as much done as he would like, and I’m sure whoever succeeded him would work to overturn anything he did.

I for one say he should run for president, preferably as a Libertarian.

cien750hp
isn't texas the only state with authority to secede from the union...
maybe its not so bad of an idea...

wgadget
01-13-2008, 07:14 PM
OMG, I am getting more excited by the minute.

Bold As Love
01-13-2008, 07:16 PM
It would be hard to run for Governor from the White House, but as a TX resident...I LOVE THE IDEA.

Ron Paul, 2008, 2010, 2012 and every year he is running for election/re-election!!!!

mavtek
01-13-2008, 07:16 PM
How many would be willing to move to Texas if Ron ran as an Indie in Texas? As an Indy we could get 100,000 votes for him easy in Texas. We'd need another 300,000 to be successful.

LibertyForAll
01-13-2008, 07:18 PM
I was thinking the other day about how we're all scheming about things to do AFTER the presidential race. I still have hope for the Republican nomination, albeit less than a month ago... BUT we must have a contingency plan no matter how hopeful we are.

Thoughts

WTF?? Ron Paul is running for President! Don't you think a thread like this is unnecessary at this point? Support him for President, get out of your computer chair and knock on some doors, quit posting stupid online polls like this. That is what needs to be done now.
How many doors have YOU knocked on???

wgadget
01-13-2008, 07:18 PM
I love Texas. Except for the oversize cockroaches.

wgadget
01-13-2008, 07:19 PM
I left hundreds of letters/slimjims in my precinct today, custom selected for their recipient. Does that count?

Texan4Life
01-13-2008, 07:20 PM
As a resident of Texas, if he does not get the nomination and he still ends up with the money....GOVERNOR RUN! Woot!

+1

dirknb@hotmail.com
01-13-2008, 07:20 PM
With the Bill of Rights virtually gone, regulation of the internet being called for, the impending NAU, the National ID on our doorstep, etc., it's now or never. Indy.

The Lieutenant Governor has more real power in Texas.

He would be better off running Independent than 3rd party.

dirknb@hotmail.com
01-13-2008, 07:21 PM
I love Texas. Except for the oversize cockroaches.

Hey, they're bigger in Florida! :D

wgadget
01-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Please, dumb question:

Isn't Indy 3rd Party? If not, what is the distinction?

wgadget
01-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey, they're bigger in Florida! :D

Ahem...Those are called "palmetto bugs."

:D

DeadtoSin
01-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Listen guys, I don't like the GOP. If he doesn't get it this time, running as an independent just won't get it. People are sheep right now. They vote for Republicans, because thats what they are. He won't get those votes. All he'll do is spoil it for the republican party, which will make him even more of an outcast. He'll raise the ire of many republican voters for giving the presidency to the democrats.

If he can't get the nomination, I'm in it for the long haul. I want him to run next year when he'll start off with some considerable support early on and no way for the media to ignore his vocal community.

colecrowe
Please, dumb question:

Isn't Indy 3rd Party? If not, what is the distinction?

iNDY is no party. unaffiliated. as an individual unassociated with any club or orginization whatsoever.

exer51
WTF?? Ron Paul is running for President! Don't you think a thread like this is unnecessary at this point? Support him for President, get out of your computer chair and knock on some doors, quit posting stupid online polls like this. That is what needs to be done now.
How many doors have YOU knocked on???

Because you know who you're talking to right??? I've been active in the REAL WORLD campaign 2-4 days a week for several weeks now, and intend to continue to do so until the bitter end.

wgadget
01-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Listen guys, I don't like the GOP. If he doesn't get it this time, running as an independent just won't get it. People are sheep right now. They vote for Republicans, because thats what they are. He won't get those votes. All he'll do is spoil it for the republican party, which will make him even more of an outcast. He'll raise the ire of many republican voters for giving the presidency to the democrats.

If he can't get the nomination, I'm in it for the long haul. I want him to run next year when he'll start off with some considerable support early on and no way for the media to ignore his vocal community.

Um, most of the people I run across vote AGAINST Republicans. Doesn't matter what they believe in, if they're Republican there's no way they'll be voting for them.

wgadget
01-13-2008, 07:28 PM
iNDY is no party. unaffiliated. as an individual unassociated with any club or orginization whatsoever.

Okay, thanks. So something like Libertarian is considered a 3rd party, but Indy just means people that aren't really anything, just voters for President. Kinda like the difference between Methodist and non-denominational...right?

colecrowe
01-13-2008, 07:29 PM

so what if he does give it to the Democrats. I want out of Iraq. (That's just my gut reaction.) But if he hires NEW PEOPLE and real hardcore campaign professionals, he could win as an independent. He is the only one Repub or Democrat (front runners) that will

really get us out of Iraq
and lower taxes
and stop inflation
and solve the debt
and protect civil liberties.

Those five things with an amazing campaign staff will win it for him.

He has to hire absolutely great staff that will get his message out, defend him, taylor his message, create amazing ads, etc.

He has the best message, the most (real) supporters, the most enthusiastic supporters (it's so obvious: look at OLFD and Christmas Vacation for Paul in IOWA, the money from hundreds of thousands of real people), and the best record.

His campaign just stinks (or was purposely stinking it up rope-a-dope style).

exer51
01-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Well aside from the post that says the Governor of Texas has less power than most I've seen little valid info against a governor run.

I GUESS he could run indy for pres and then run indy for Gov if he doesn't get that, but then it looks like he's grasping at straws to get anything he can. YES the powers that be would fight him, but if we raised 20 million for a governors run who the hell could stop him from DOMINATING TV, radio, print, and everything in Texas? NO ONE. Not to mention that I would LITERALLY move there even if he was just polling decent before the run, ~20% and I'm there.

wgadget
01-13-2008, 07:30 PM
I agree heartily.

I'm wondering if that's what his "secret weapon" is? Do you think he'd get more donation money if he ran Indy?

DeadtoSin
01-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Actually READ my post! I don't care if he gives it to the democrats. Republican voters do though! I want Ron Paul to win, even if it takes waiting 4 years. I know that it will hurt America a lot, but as an independent he can't win. People vote as democrats because they are democrats, people vote as republicans because they are republicans. I want to win, even if it is in 2012.

DeadtoSin
01-13-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm not saying we should give up, I'm just saying if we don't get the nomination, it is dumb to run as an indy.

exer51
01-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Actually READ my post! I don't care if he gives it to the democrats. Republican voters do though! I want Ron Paul to win, even if it takes waiting 4 years. I know that it will hurt America a lot, but as an independent he can't win. People vote as democrats because they are democrats, people vote as republicans because they are republicans. I want to win, even if it is in 2012.

He's too old. If he were a few years younger I'd say just go for Gov as GOP and sit it out until next time, but he's 72. I don't think at 76 he'll be up for it. Plus many people have problems with electing people that are that old even if they're in good shape still.

specsaregood
01-13-2008, 07:34 PM
A Governor has NO power or influence on the #1 issue regarding Ron Paul's reason for being involved in government. Monetary policy. After reading some of his books, pamphlets it is clear to me that he sees our Monetary policy as the disease responsible for a large majority of our problems in this country.

exer51
01-13-2008, 07:37 PM
A Governor has NO power or influence on the #1 issue regarding Ron Paul's reason for being involved in government. Monetary policy. After reading some of his books, pamphlets it is clear to me that he sees our Monetary policy as the disease responsible for a large majority of our problems in this country.

That's a fact, but he can do LOTS of other things. You think the American people would see the light if Texas just dealt with the border on their own? If they actually eforced the laws and started tossing out illegals by the truck load? They'd see a man of action getting shit done. Cutting taxes, restoring liberty by getting rid of stupid laws, and all sorts of other things. It would help give people a little glimpse of what COULD be done if the Repblicans weren't sell outs.

DeadtoSin
01-13-2008, 07:40 PM
That's a fact, but he can do LOTS of other things. You think the American people would see the light if Texas just dealt with the border on their own? If they actually eforced the laws and started tossing out illegals by the truck load? They'd see a man of action getting shit done. Cutting taxes, restoring liberty by getting rid of stupid laws, and all sorts of other things. It would help give people a little glimpse of what COULD be done if the Repblicans weren't sell outs.

Thanks for saying it in a way I couldn't. Not ONLY would they see that it could be done without the Fed govt, they'd see Ron Paul. They'd see the man who could get some stuff done. Also, as a governor he could say he has experience running a government. Governor is a pretty good platform to run on, so it would be pretty cool to have a president with both executive and legislative experience.

AggieforPaul
01-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Texas resident here. I would LOVE to see him as my governor, that would be incredible.

exer51
01-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks for saying it in a way I couldn't. Not ONLY would they see that it could be done without the Fed govt, they'd see Ron Paul. They'd see the man who could get some stuff done. Also, as a governor he could say he has experience running a government. Governor is a pretty good platform to run on, so it would be pretty cool to have a president with both executive and legislative experience.

Yup. Like I said 76 IS a bit old to go for a first term IMO, BUT if he was badass enough he might be able to do it. Reagan was like 71/72 when he ran, as is McCain, as is Paul... But I don't think anyones every run for a first term t 76.

DeadtoSin
01-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Times are changing though. People easily live in their 90's and 100's with vigor. A 70 year old physician who exercises regularly shouldn't be that big of a deal anymore.

colecrowe
01-13-2008, 07:49 PM
And if he did get elected governor, he would definitely be able to run in 2012 because there is no way any Repub other than Paul could get elected Prez this time around, since over 70% of Americans are against the war. Reagan was the oldest however running his second time around--at 73 y/o--paul would be 76

wgadget
01-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Texas resident here. I would LOVE to see him as my governor, that would be incredible.

I lived in College Station for one July of my life about 20 years ago. It was very hot. But I think I'd move to Fort Worth...Great place for a musician.

AggieforPaul
01-13-2008, 07:52 PM
It'd be a dogfight against Rick Perry though. The GOP establishment loves that SOB. But he's not that popular here. He got less than 50% in his successful re-election bid, against an extremely weak field. I voted Democrat because of Perry's support for the Trans Texas Corridor.

Perry's term isnt up until 2010 though. Ron Paul would be like 76 by then, it may be kinda late.

AggieforPaul
01-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Times are changing though. People easily live in their 90's and 100's with vigor. A 70 year old physician who exercises regularly shouldn't be that big of a deal anymore.

Yeah, but he might have a lot of trouble making speeches. Obviously he's still brilliant, but he already has trouble articulating his thoughts sometimes. My grandfather's the same way. He has a good memory, but he does a lot more pausing and searching for words than he used to.

TXcarlosTX
01-13-2008, 07:57 PM
i live in texas.... id love ron paul as governor. then maybe texas can begin the succession process from the union. id texas to be its own sovereign state again. FREE STATE!!!

exer51
01-13-2008, 08:07 PM
It'd be a dogfight against Rick Perry though. The GOP establishment loves that SOB. But he's not that popular here. He got less than 50% in his successful re-election bid, against an extremely weak field. I voted Democrat because of Perry's support for the Trans Texas Corridor.

Perry's term isnt up until 2010 though. Ron Paul would be like 76 by then, it may be kinda late.

WELL actually he'd be 74 in 2010, but same dif. I dunno. None of this is up to me anyway, I'm just curious as to what folks think. An Indy run would certainly not displease me, but I was just thinking strategically how governors have vastly more power to make change than congressmen AND how going Indy could hurt such an attempt.

Goldwater Conservative
01-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, the #1 reason self-described conservatives and rank-and-file Republicans don't like Paul is his foreign policy, and that wouldn't be an issue as governor. They tend to love him on everything else. Also, isn't Rick Perry ineligible for reelection in 2010?

Anyway, running for governor would effectively mean no President Paul, unless he resigned two years into his term to run for president, and even then he'd be getting along in years and might choose to serve only one term like James Polk did.

Personally, I'd rather he run for president this year as an independent. Yes, his work would be cut out for him, but if Perot can lead in the polls (he did for a while) I think Paul can win it with at least 35% of the vote. That's all he'd need in a three-way race.

Even if he was doing poorly in the polls, he could purposely stay in as a "spoiler." For example, if he honestly prefers Obama to, say, McCain, he could drop out if he was hurting the former but stick it out if he was hurting the latter. So what if the GOP disowned him for it? They've already done everything but, and this is probably his last political hurrah. Might as well get one thing out of it, and withdrawal from Iraq is much more likely under Obama than McCain.

jsu718
01-13-2008, 08:17 PM
I think he would still be able to do plenty of good in the House. He's not exactly small time there.

Committee on Financial Services
- Ranking Member - Subcommittee on Domestic and International Monetary Policy, Trade and Technology
-Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigation
Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Subcommittee on International Organizations, Human Rights and Oversight
- Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere
Joint Economic Committee

That's quite a bit of influence.

exer51
01-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Well, the #1 reason self-described conservatives and rank-and-file Republicans don't like Paul is his foreign policy, and that wouldn't be an issue as governor. They tend to love him on everything else. Also, isn't Rick Perry ineligible for reelection in 2010?

Anyway, running for governor would effectively mean no President Paul, unless he resigned two years into his term to run for president, and even then he'd be getting along in years and might choose to serve only one term like James Polk did.

Personally, I'd rather he run for president this year as an independent. Yes, his work would be cut out for him, but if Perot can lead in the polls (he did for a while) I think Paul can win it with at least 35% of the vote. That's all he'd need in a three-way race.

Even if he was doing poorly in the polls, he could purposely stay in as a "spoiler." For example, if he honestly prefers Obama to, say, McCain, he could drop out if he was hurting the former but stick it out if he was hurting the latter. So what if the GOP disowned him for it? They've already done everything but, and this is probably his last political hurrah. Might as well get one thing out of it, and withdrawal from Iraq is much more likely under Obama than McCain.

Well the thing is that he could still run as Governor as an Indy, and if he say got up to 20-30 percent in a presidential race how the hell would he NOT win governor? We don't ever get indy presidents, but it happens with major city mayors and governors somewhat often. So I guess he could have his cake and eat it too, I just think he'd have a better shot at governor as a Republican.

One nice side benefit if he goes indy is that the history books will HAVE to mention him if he pulls in a good chunk of the vote... Just like Perot. So it'll force them to put "Yea this crazy libertarian nut ran in 08"in the books and maybe it'll turn future generations onto the path of light!

dirknb@hotmail.com
01-13-2008, 09:03 PM

How much do you ever hear about the governor of any state? Not much. Huckabee has been the governor of Arkansas for 10 years and not too many people knew about him. All the media would have to do is ignore him. As President, he can't be ignored. Time is short, the White House is the only chance we have. Ten years ago things were different. But it's almost checkmate now. Even if RP were younger, 2012 will be too late.

exer51
01-13-2008, 09:07 PM
How much do you ever hear about the governor of any state? Not much. Huckabee has been the governor of Arkansas for 10 years and not too many people knew about him. All the media would have to do is ignore him. As President, he can't be ignored. Time is short, the White House is the only chance we have. Ten years ago things were different. But it's almost checkmate now. Even if RP were younger, 2012 will be too late.

Depends on the governor! I hear about the Governator(Arnold) all the time. I hear about Perry all the time too. So I'm sure they could ignore him in the MSM a lot, but the internet would be awash with stories of him.

I do agree that it's pretty much "too late" now if we don't get the presidency. Well I guess he should go for it, then go for Texas Gov if we don't pull it off. I think with 11 months to go we could get it done though. You only need to look at our growth trend since the first moneybomb got him his initial MSM exposure. We broke through the initial hurtle, and now all we have to do is keep at it.

AlexMerced
01-13-2008, 09:10 PM
I think what's important is to spread his message on a national scale, we don't know how much he's got left in him to anticipate another run. If I were him I'd continue the run and hope Rand can pick up the pieces in 2012

blakjak
01-13-2008, 09:11 PM
It's smarter to run for governor, congressman, or senator to set up for a presidential run later.

Take out congressman from that list. A congressman has never been president, but senators and governors have. Yup, this campaign is going against all odds.

dirknb@hotmail.com
01-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Depends on the governor! I hear about the Governator(Arnold) all the time. I hear about Perry all the time too. So I'm sure they could ignore him in the MSM a lot, but the internet would be awash with stories of him.

I do agree that it's pretty much "too late" now if we don't get the presidency. Well I guess he should go for it, then go for Texas Gov if we don't pull it off. I think with 11 months to go we could get it done though. You only need to look at our growth trend since the first moneybomb got him his initial MSM exposure. We broke through the initial hurtle, and now all we have to do is keep at it.

Arnold & Rick are Establishment. Of course you hear about them. The public is being groomed for them.

Goldwater Conservative
01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
One nice side benefit if he goes indy is that the history books will HAVE to mention him if he pulls in a good chunk of the vote... Just like Perot. So it'll force them to put "Yea this crazy libertarian nut ran in 08"in the books and maybe it'll turn future generations onto the path of light!

Great point. Interestingly, I first learned about the Libertarian Party from my American Government textbook in high school. It was in a side panel somewhere with the other major third parties, and we never discussed in class, but the brief description of its platform interested me enough to check out their website. I wasn't interested in the false "liberal or conservative" dichotomy I had been taught, and learning about alternative viewpoints really sparked my interest in politics, specifically of the classical liberal variety.

Take out congressman from that list. A congressman has never been president, but senators and governors have. Yup, this campaign is going against all odds.

Abraham Lincoln and James Garfield immediately come to mind. ;)

exer51
01-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Great point. Interestingly, I first learned about the Libertarian Party from my American Government textbook in high school. It was in a side panel somewhere with the other major third parties, and we never discussed in class, but the brief description of its platform interested me enough to check out their website. I wasn't interested in the false "liberal or conservative" dichotomy I had been taught, and learning about alternative viewpoints really sparked my interest in politics, specifically of the classical liberal variety.

Abraham Lincoln and James Garfield immediately come to mind. ;)

I was lucky enough to be raised by an Ayn Rand freak so I guess I got a jump on a lot of folks! Growing up I always figured I'd be a good hardcore Republican(DAMN DEMOCRATS!!!). Unfortunately by the time I was 17 or so I figured out the Republican party was more akin to the Nazi party than the Republican party of saaay 1960. Thank you George W. Bush for waking me up! From there I looked deeper into the actual Libertarian Party and decided to vote with my conscience. Only GOP I ever voted for was Dino Rossi for Governor of Washington because after looking into it he seemed to be a paleo-conservative.

exer51
01-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Arnold & Rick are Establishment. Of course you hear about them. The public is being groomed for them.

Well of course. However do you realy think they'd be able to black out a man who was making the radical changes he'd make in one of the chest, most populace states in the country?I think not.

cindy25
01-13-2008, 09:36 PM
if it were another state maybe, but Texas has a very weak governor (no pardon power) and already has no state income tax.

dirknb@hotmail.com
01-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Well of course. However do you realy think they'd be able to black out a man who was making the radical changes he'd make in one of the chest, most populace states in the country?I think not.

The media can do whatever it wants.

Chase
01-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Much rather have him as President, but if that doesn't happen...

Governer! I LOVE TEXAS, a Texas with RON PAUL as governer would be f'in awesome!

boberino
01-13-2008, 09:56 PM
It'd be nice, but Governor of Texas is not up for re-election this year as far as I know.