PDA

View Full Version : What are the predominant Libertarian Camps, and why do they fight?

jkaufmann
01-13-2008, 06:09 PM
I have been doing alot of reading through different libertarian blogs, and libertarian institutions.

Does anyone have a "non-partisan" view of all the different camps, their share of the libertarian base, and what all the infighting is all about?

So far I am able to detrmine Cato and Mises as main camps, but I also wonder if the Reson Magazine folks don't represent their own camp as well, possibly on the Ayne Randian front?

If someone could write their "thesis" on the subject it would be greatly fascinating! Also -- Many names keep reapearing so a list of the prominant actors, and even secondary actors and their alignments would be interesting to know.

The reason I find this important: knowing in advance the "leanings" by bloggers and posters in the community so you can at least form a reasonable opinion when "partisan" bias is present.

When I say "Partisan" I mean within the libertarian camp itself.

Paul4Prez
01-13-2008, 07:40 PM
There are several camps, with some overlap:

Cato Institute -- trying to show mainstream politicians that libertarian ideas will help grow the economy

Reason -- younger and hipper, trying to show how being libertarian makes sense and appeal to liberals

Mises Institute -- trying to educate people about Austrian economics, especially vs. the Chicago School ideas that many limited government conservatives prescribe too

Lew Rockwell bloggers -- tied to the Mises Institute, but more broadly aiming to defend hardcore libertarian ideals in all areas, from anti-wary lefties to anti-government anarcho-capitalists

The Libertarian Enterprise -- the really hardcore backers of L. Neil Smith, focused on the Zero Aggression Principle, the Bill of Rights, and especially the 2nd Amendment

Future of Freedom Foundation -- Jacob Hornberger's educational institute, writes a lot of libertarian editorials for major newspapers. Hardcore but patriotic.

Libertarian Party old school -- trying to stick to the old and pure platform, and grow the party

Libertarian Party reformers -- trying to make the message more mainstream to broaden its appeal and grow the party

Objectivists -- hardcore and more hawkish followers of Ayn Rand, seem to share most libertarian beliefs, but still despise those who disagree with them on the rest.

Free Staters -- trying to concentrate libertarian activism in New Hampshire, drawing from a lot of the above groups but not necessarily supported by them

I'm sure I've left out some others. You also might expand into the Constitution Party and patriot and tax resister movements for an even bigger picture.

You would think that all of the above would be backing Ron Paul, but you'd be wrong.

jkaufmann
01-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks.

What is the bad blood seemingly between Cato and Mises (Mises including Rockwell)?

I presume these two tho be the leading institutes of the ideology, but then again I don't really know the history of everything.