PDA

View Full Version : First weekend as a Precinct Captain

Jobarra
01-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Don't know why I took so long to sign up, but I signed up for the Precinct Leader program Friday night. Between yesterday and today, I've canvassed 171 houses. The majority of houses have noone home at the time(or they just don't want to answer the door), but the next largest grouping of people were undecided. A small portion of the total are actually decided. I left a slimjim stuffed in the door when I encountered a house where noone answered.

I was nervous at first, but after the first few times of talking with people, I realized that people are willing to listen to you for the most part. They usually don't say they are definitely going to vote for Dr. Paul, but they truly seem undecided. About 20% of them don't know who Dr. Paul is, 30% Don't know but have seen the signs all over the place, and then 50% know about him but are glad to take a slim jim(and I'm sure learn something new about him).

Something else I learned is that some people really are interested in discussing politics. I've had good discussions with McCain and Edwards supporters so far and ended today with someone who said that he would vote for Dr. Paul if what I was saying was true and then we continued a conversation for a good 30 minutes where he parroted most of Dr. Paul's speaking points :D. I made sure to interject politely whenever possible to say "You know, Dr. Paul speaks about that too and says... ". The best part is that I gave his wife a Ron Paul Reveres DVD(she answered the door first, he came up later and we talked while she left) and he said as soon as he finished watching it he would be sure to show it to others or give it to them. So this one person will multiply my work effort and have the added effect of having a relationship already with those people he talks to(they are more apt to listen to him instead of me).

Well, that was my first weekend as a Precinct Leader. When I first started I had dreams that every door would open and it would be a supporter in a Ron Paul shirt :D The reality is that people are still for the most part undecided and by passing out the info I show that there is a visible presence for Dr. Paul whereas they don't see the other candidates yet(there are no TV commercials running here in Alabama that I know of yet). I think that might help sway the people a little bit.

Edit to Add: Just want to add a thanks to my meetup group. They were also out canvassing and 2 of them decided to help me with my precinct specifically yesterday and probably did 150-250 houses(I did 105 yesterday, but they seemed to knock them out a little faster than I did.) I also got all the slimjims and Ron Paul Reveres DVDs from them.

JPFromTally
01-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Good work! Keep hanging in there.

RPSignbomb
01-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Don't know why I took so long to sign up, but I signed up for the Precinct Captain program Friday night. Between yesterday and today, I've canvassed 171 houses. The majority of houses have noone home at the time(or they just don't want to answer the door), but the next largest grouping of people were undecided. A small portion of the total are actually decided. I left a slimjim stuffed in the door when I encountered a house where noone answered.

I was nervous at first, but after the first few times of talking with people, I realized that people are willing to listen to you for the most part. They usually don't say they are definitely going to vote for Dr. Paul, but they truly seem undecided. About 20% of them don't know who Dr. Paul is, 30% Don't know but have seen the signs all over the place, and then 50% know about him but are glad to take a slim jim(and I'm sure learn something new about him).

Something else I learned is that some people really are interested in discussing politics. I've had good discussions with McCain and Edwards supporters so far and ended today with someone who said that he would vote for Dr. Paul if what I was saying was true and then we continued a conversation for a good 30 minutes where he parroted most of Dr. Paul's speaking points :D. I made sure to interject politely whenever possible to say "You know, Dr. Paul speaks about that too and says... ". The best part is that I gave his wife a Ron Paul Reveres DVD(she answered the door first, he came up later and we talked while she left) and he said as soon as he finished watching it he would be sure to show it to others or give it to them. So this one person will multiply my work effort and have the added effect of having a relationship already with those people he talks to(they are more apt to listen to him instead of me).

Well, that was my first weekend as a Precinct Captain. When I first started I had dreams that every door would open and it would be a supporter in a Ron Paul shirt :D The reality is that people are still for the most part undecided and by passing out the info I show that there is a visible presence for Dr. Paul whereas they don't see the other candidates yet(there are no TV commercials running here in Alabama that I know of yet). I think that might help sway the people a little bit.

Great job and thanks for sharing!

krott5333
01-13-2008, 05:56 PM
I really really really like the Ron Paul reveres dvd, I would recommend that everyone use it.

www.ronpaulreveres.com

Laja
01-13-2008, 05:58 PM
You rock, Jobarra! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm working up the courage to start canvassing my precinct and your posting is helping me.

bcreps85
01-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Great job. I plan to do some work in Southern IL next time I go see my family, and have been slowly but surely making some converts here in MO.

Jobarra
01-13-2008, 06:04 PM
You rock, Jobarra! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm working up the courage to start canvassing my precinct and your posting is helping me.
Trust me, I'm not a very social person so I was very nervous the night before (I was so nervous I didn't get to sleep for a few hours and only got about three and a half hours sleep). After the first few people I talked to, I just realized it wasn't THAT big a deal. I'm definitely getting better at it and have made a few mistakes, but that's the only way to learn :). The canvassing questions that are in the canvassing directions are really simple to ask and they sort of lead the conversation to a fast conclusion unless someone wants to discuss issues with you.

bobmurph
01-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Great work! I just signed up as precinct captain in my precinct this afternoon. Started watching some of the training videos and am looking forward to getting started next weekend. This is such a huge underutilized tool that we need to embrace. If we can fill every precinct then we knock on every door in America!

Before I signed up as precinct capt today I put up 12 yard signs in high traffic areas all over Atlanta. I also gave a stack of the "cigar shop" brochures to the owner of a local new cigar shop near my neighborhood. The owner gladly accepted the brochures, said he'd done a little bit of research on Dr. Paul and put the stack right next to the register on the counter! A good day indeed!

McDermit
01-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Do different states have different directions or something? Ours say to just do a lit drop... then call on the phone, then go out to people's houses.

Novise
01-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Good job getting out there on your own. I know getting started is the hard part. I had some help going my first time and was very glad for it. But yeah it is a wonderful experience! Great work!

Bold As Love
01-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Awesome! Great work. I've been doing the same thing myself, this weekend.

roshi
01-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Good work. I went canvassing last night and I had this roll of stickers and slim jims. SO if they weren't home, I put up the ron paul sticker and the slim jim next to their mail box. Effective! :D

Jobarra
01-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Do different states have different directions or something? Ours say to just do a lit drop... then call on the phone, then go out to people's houses.
To be honest, by the time I had signed up, went and bought a cheap printer($25) to print out the canvass list, and read the canvass directions, I was done for the night and really needing to get to sleep since we were meeting up in the morning and it was already about 3am. I still need to watch the videos.

Good work. I went canvassing last night and I had this roll of stickers and slim jims. SO if they weren't home, I put up the ron paul sticker and the slim jim next to their mail box. Effective! :D
Just a word of warning. I think putting anything IN, ON, or around a mailbox is considered tampering by Federal law. Now I don't think anyone would actually arrest you, but you never know. I think it's also a felony. I put all my stuff on their door handle(bend the slimjim and shove it in somehow so it stays there. Some doors you can't do this on so they just get no slimjim on that house)

BTW, by sticker are you talking about putting a sticker ON something of theirs? If so, please stop as that is malicious conduct and causes harm to the campaign. I'm hoping not, but I figured I would mention it since someone was on the forums a month ago or so talking about putting bumper stickers on random cars. That was definitely a criminal act and I believe the post was removed as it should have been.

wgadget
01-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Maybe they were the removable stickers?

roshi
01-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Maybe they were the removable stickers?

Yes, I put it on near the door handle with the top on so it's easily removable. Some flew to the ground because of the wind, but meh.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
01-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Don't know why I took so long to sign up, but I signed up for the Precinct Leader program Friday night. Between yesterday and today, I've canvassed 171 houses. The majority of houses have noone home at the time(or they just don't want to answer the door), but the next largest grouping of people were undecided. A small portion of the total are actually decided. I left a slimjim stuffed in the door when I encountered a house where noone answered.

Well, that was my first weekend as a Precinct Leader. When I first started I had dreams that every door would open and it would be a supporter in a Ron Paul shirt :D The reality is that people are still for the most part undecided and by passing out the info I show that there is a visible presence for Dr. Paul whereas they don't see the other candidates yet(there are no TV commercials running here in Alabama that I know of yet). I think that might help sway the people a little bit.

Edit to Add: Just want to add a thanks to my meetup group. They were also out canvassing and 2 of them decided to help me with my precinct specifically yesterday and probably did 150-250 houses(I did 105 yesterday, but they seemed to knock them out a little faster than I did.) I also got all the slimjims and Ron Paul Reveres DVDs from them.

Great work! That gives me encouragement.

I signed up about a week ago to be a precinct captain, and can't wait to get out and promote the message.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Awesome job.

exer51
01-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Been really active anyway, but just took the plunge so I can get at the magical list!!! I guess next Saturday I will be continuing the Battle For Ballard!

Jobarra
01-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Been really active anyway, but just took the plunge so I can get at the magical list!!! I guess next Saturday I will be continuing the Battle For Ballard!
Well Alabama is an open primary so I just decided to hit every single house instead of just the ones on the list. I'll update the list afterwards, but it was unfortunately a bit too bulky to carry(my list is 156 pages long) and with the way I was carrying it with me I couldn't even switch between 2 pages very well :(. I just ended up writing street names down, then numbers, then my own coding system per address {NH - Not Home, NV - Not Voting(only 1 so far), UN - Undecided, Dec(...) - Decided(candidate name if given)}.

I really wish I had a vest like the guy on Ron Paul Reveres. Carrying the DVDs, slimjims, clipboard, and handmade list is really unwieldy and my arms hurt from trying to carry all that stuff all day. He uses his vest to carry all that. Of course then noone would see my RP for president shirt. May have to swallow my pride and get something like a fanny pack. I fear anything bigger like a backpack would scare people.

exer51
01-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Well Alabama is an open primary so I just decided to hit every single house instead of just the ones on the list. I'll update the list afterwards, but it was unfortunately a bit too bulky to carry(my list is 156 pages long) and with the way I was carrying it with me I couldn't even switch between 2 pages very well :(. I just ended up writing street names down, then numbers, then my own coding system per address {NH - Not Home, NV - Not Voting(only 1 so far), UN - Undecided, Dec(...) - Decided(candidate name if given)}.

I really wish I had a vest like the guy on Ron Paul Reveres. Carrying the DVDs, slimjims, clipboard, and handmade list is really unwieldy and my arms hurt from trying to carry all that stuff all day. He uses his vest to carry all that. Of course then noone would see my RP for president shirt. May have to swallow my pride and get something like a fanny pack. I fear anything bigger like a backpack would scare people.

We've been hitting every house too, but I dunno there's just a few things that are handy about being "in the system" from what I've heard from other captains. I'll find out now I guess!

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-13-2008, 11:51 PM
bump

Jobarra
01-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Mod, please move to Precinct Leader Forum.

familydog
01-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Keep up the good work. People like you are the reason we even got this far.

manny
01-14-2008, 05:22 PM

Thank you Jobarra - for your effort to spread the message and for starting a great thread. And thanks to the others going door-to-door.

I think it's cool to leave it in grassroots central for a while.

It makes an encouraging read!

Door-to-door is what will decide how Ron does.

I've mentioned it before but there has been lots of research done by businesses etc about how to sell a product/person/idea. And, probably to nobody's surprise, name recognition is essential.

"Name recognition" means more than simply a person knowing the name. It is to do with not just its content but repitition. They need to see/hear it a few times. Of course they hear "Rudy" or "Hillary" everytime they watch a news segment on politics. And the media generally ignore Ron.

So to counter this door-to-door is great. Even if the person seems unsympathetic there and then you've actually already achieved a lot. When they next see a tv ad for Ron, maybe a sign and a story about the blimp it will all add up. Essentially you're convincing them they're not alone in being interested in Ron's platform. I know it is illogical but we have to understand a lot of people will only vote for someone they think has a good bit of support and might win.

A "real person" on their doorstep, taking their free-time to sell Ron is very good at getting not only his message/policies/record across but also the fact that others support him. This is literally priceless - no amount of TV ads can do it - as Perot found.

So thank you to everyone going door-to-door. It will work.