PDA

View Full Version : Issue: Foreign Policy: United Nations - Pulling Out

megiddo
05-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Is there a compromise position here?

I understand that our current involvement in the UN has led us to a disastrous foreign policy, and risks the liberty of our Nation.

But how much of that was caused by our own hand?

Is there room for an international forum of the de facto heads of state; a forum for communication when no other communication is possible? I believe the UN could perform a valuable function as solely a communication medium for the heads of state.

Thoughts?

mdh
05-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Plenty of it was caused by our own hand. That and the fact that the UN is a worthless, costly investment that we've been making yearly are two seperate problems. We pay more into the UN than any other nation, and it doesn't seem like we're really getting any benefits. Instead of an organization like the UN, we should consider alliance treaties with individual sovereign nations. Those don't really cost much at all.

Bryan
05-22-2007, 06:53 PM
This is a good question mediddo, but I will answer with another question. What should our objective be? There certainly is one but I would say that that needs to be discussed before any alternatives are worth considering. Can you tell me some specific objectives you think are worthwhile? Let's get some detail.