PDA

View Full Version : Effects of downsizing big government

dkim68
01-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Would decreasing the size of government in Washington have the effect of increasing State & Local government across the nation? And then instead of one Washington on our hands we have 50 mini-Washingtons, each running their own show?

DrCap
01-13-2008, 05:29 PM
It would probably not be that noticable- if you think about what the federal government does versus what state and local governments do. Most things we think of as government entities are state, county or city - schools, police, firemen, water, hospitals, roads, etc.
The other true advantage, which I think the founding fathers knew, was that if you have multiple independent states, which allow free trade and free movement among them, they actually become COMPETING states, thus making them want to be more efficient. That is why local school districts can actually be decent, because they compete against each other.
The federal governments real roles are only national security, diplomacy, making sure states get along, and uh, uh I don't know, taxing the hell out of us.

dkim68
01-13-2008, 06:41 PM
The other true advantage, which I think the founding fathers knew, was that if you have multiple independent states, which allow free trade and free movement among them, they actually become COMPETING states, thus making them want to be more efficient. That is why local school districts can actually be decent, because they compete against each other.
That's sounds healthy. I like it!