PDA

View Full Version : "N.H. Republican fundraiser to feature machine guns"

Texan4Life
07-24-2007, 11:50 PM
"BOSTON (Reuters) - A planned Republican fundraiser in New Hampshire aims to promote gun ownership in America by letting supporters fire powerful military-style weapons -- from Uzi submachine guns to M-16 rifles.

The Manchester Republican Committee is inviting party members and their families to a "Machine Gun Shoot" where, for $25, supporters can spend a day trying out automatic weapons, said organizer Jerry Thibodeau.

"It's a fun day. It's a family day," said Thibodeau of the August 5 event. "It's quite exciting."

Local Democrats say the event is in poor taste amid a spike in violent crime in Manchester and seeks to glorify the use of machine guns for political gain. The right to own guns has come under heightened scrutiny since the April shooting at Virginia Tech where a gunman killed 32 people.

"It is downright offensive," Chris Pappas, the Manchester Democratic party chairman, told the Union Leader newspaper.

Thibodeau said he invited all the Republican candidates in the 2008 presidential race to the event at Pelham Fish and Game Club outside of Manchester, the state's largest city, but he said they declined. He said all shooters would undergo training.

Buying a gun in New Hampshire, whose official motto is "Live Free or Die," is relatively easy.

The state does not require buyers to obtain a handgun license or undergo safety training before buying a handgun, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, a gun-control lobby group."

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2420616220070724

Man from La Mancha
07-24-2007, 11:59 PM
I love it.

Texan4Life
07-25-2007, 12:17 AM
It sad to think there is only one repub. that supports their ownership. I hope there is some RP supporters that show up.

angelatc
07-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Cool! Maybe there will be targets that insult the Democrats too!

ShaneC
07-25-2007, 06:06 AM
lol

I am in favor of gun safety courses though. Not so much that they be mandated, just that people understand what they're doing and know how to properly handle them.

micahnelson
07-25-2007, 06:09 AM
Nick Pappas, editor-in-chief nashuatelegraph.com.

"It is downright offensive," Chris Pappas, the Manchester Democratic party chairman, told the Union Leader newspaper.

Connection?

NCGOPer_for_Paul
07-25-2007, 06:14 AM

Please do tell why it is so "offensive" to pay some money to a political party that wants to protect your right to bear arms (2nd Amendment) to shoot machine guns in a controlled enviornment?

What's offensive to me is that there are people who find something like this offensive.

angelatc
07-25-2007, 08:36 AM
lol

I am in favor of gun safety courses though. Not so much that they be mandated, just that people understand what they're doing and know how to properly handle them.

Yes, but the same group that insists sex education should be taught in school would have an aneurysm if we were to suggest that gun education should also be taught in schools.

JPFromTally
07-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Buying a gun in New Hampshire, whose official motto is "Live Free or Die," is relatively easy.

New Hampshire has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. In Washington D.C. it's very hard to buy a gun legally and it's one of the most dangerous cities.