PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Voting machine

JoeDanger
01-13-2008, 12:57 PM
I believe this could be developed and tested before the general election.

A electronic machine (with NO modem inside!) should take your answers on a touchscreen, then print out a preforated ticket with your vote choices printed on each side of the preforation. You would have "Voter Stub" and "Ballot Box Stub" Then the voter would check both stubs against the computer screen choices. Then the "Ballot Box Stub" would go in a ballot box, and the voter would keep the "Voter Stub" so that it could all be checked against each other if contested. Think of movie tickets as far as the stub idea goes.

Did I miss anything obvious?
Should we get the ball rolling?
Who says you can't hold honest elections! ;-)

bergstrom
01-13-2008, 01:49 PM
The problem of your system: you can pay someone for votes or you can physically threaten people who don't vote a certain way. With no stub, you can say you voted for anyone you wanted to, but there's no proof. It curbs against intimidation and bribery.

At least that's how I understand it.

liberty-rp08
01-13-2008, 01:55 PM
There was a guy who invented a really great voting system called TruVote. It was a computer, but after you made all your choices it printed a paper ballot that was human-readable, and you could look at it yourself behind a glass panel. If you saw it was correct, you pressed a button and the ballot went directly into the ballot box. If there was an error, the ballot was shredded and you started over. Those paper ballots WERE the record. There were no memory cards or other invisible means of storage and transmission. The ballots were counted by optical character recognizers, but always the ballots themselves exist as a cross-check.

Too bad the guy who invented it was killed in a "tragic automobile accident".