PDA

View Full Version : Vote: Hardball Campaign Ad Challenge

jj111
07-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Hardball Campaign Ad Challenge

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19858606

Vote for Ron Paul ad (last one right now)

silverhandorder
07-24-2007, 10:20 PM
I cast my vote it did not update, w/e most likely takes some time but pay attention to it anyways.

ThePieSwindler
07-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Thought it was alright. I wish another commercial would have made the cut, but im votin for it!

brumans
07-24-2007, 10:24 PM
We're losing! VOTE VOTE! I'm sure it'll get some coverage if we get the most votes.

kalami
07-24-2007, 10:27 PM
I can vote once for everyone video?

FSP-Rebel
07-24-2007, 10:27 PM
As much as I regard MSNBC as a semi-fair newssite, the site itself sucks and seems to always be on a delay. Plus, I voted for the Paul ad, but it could use a pic of Dr. Paul.

LibertyEagle
07-24-2007, 10:32 PM
How could that be the one that MSNBC considers "viral"? I hadn't even seen it before. Had any of you?

LibertyEagle
07-24-2007, 10:33 PM
There's ONE for Paul and upteen for Hillary and Obama. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but there's sure as hell more than one.

LibertyEagle
07-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Can't we submit some? How about the one on the Reagan medal?

Geez, it's our team that has the techies. Why aren't we going for this ad thing?

nayjevin
07-24-2007, 10:36 PM
i want to know where that ad came from

kalami
07-24-2007, 10:36 PM
There's ONE for Paul and upteen for Hillary and Obama. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but there's sure as hell more than one.

That would worked to our benefit because it would spread out their votes, but it looks like you can vote for every single video.

Shellshock1918
07-24-2007, 10:38 PM
As much as I regard MSNBC as a semi-fair newssite, the site itself sucks and seems to always be on a delay. Plus, I voted for the Paul ad, but it could use a pic of Dr. Paul.

which one is the paul ad?

FreedomLover
07-24-2007, 10:40 PM
voted.

angelatc
07-24-2007, 10:52 PM
which one is the paul ad?

Hahaha! It's the very last one.

I wanted to smack the Hillary quoting "If you work hard....." ad. She's all ready to give all my stuff away to anybody who wants it.

FSP-Rebel
07-24-2007, 10:55 PM
I didn't check the votes on any but Paul's but we had 117 votes at least. Hillary and OB had more?:eek:

d'anconia
07-24-2007, 10:56 PM
**anyone Know When The Deadline Is?**

DjLoTi
07-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Dude I don't LIKE that commercial!!!

bygone
07-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Well let's see, we have a choice between Universal Health Care, or Universal Health Care, or Universal Health Care.

Or not. lol :)

slantedview
07-24-2007, 11:05 PM
At least there's one...

DjLoTi
07-24-2007, 11:05 PM
The song says ass, the commercial looks anarchist like, the guy is wearing that ugly mask... gah... BAD commercial!!! They WANT us to vote it to the top so they can play it because it's so bad!

aravoth
07-24-2007, 11:07 PM
is the deadline over to submit?

FSP-Rebel
07-24-2007, 11:07 PM
The song says ass, the commercial looks anarchist like, the guy is wearing that ugly mask... gah... BAD commercial!!! They WANT us to vote it to the top so they can play it because it's so bad!
Ok, sorry to say, I have a thing for the 'V' mask. But elsewise, it (the commercial) did make me want biff. No offense to whoever made it.

slantedview
07-24-2007, 11:09 PM
is the deadline over to submit?

No, just click on the last video near the top of the screen, then vote for it.

I don't really like it too much either though.

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 11:09 PM
I would like to see a techy like commercial with something like these words in it.

The Constitution of the United States has been Hacked. It was hacked by a
group of banksters and their cronies in government
in the year of our Lord 1913. The Constitution's built in virus detection software, known as the Supreme Court, detected the insedious virus, and nulified it. However, an effective virus removal tool has not been found to completely remove the insidous code.

Ron Paul is the only one in government willing to do so.

At least someone submitted one.

DjLoTi
07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
It is way too radical and unsubstantial for us to even WANT it to win!

aravoth
07-24-2007, 11:11 PM
No, just click on the last video near the top of the screen, then vote for it.

I don't really like it too much either though.

I mean is it too late to submit a commercial, Seems like the competition isn't over till august.

SeanEdwards
07-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Avaroth needs to make a decent add for that contest. The one up there for RP is not very good.

UCFGavin
07-24-2007, 11:21 PM
i liked it :(

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 11:29 PM
I would like to see a techy like commercial with something like these words in it.

The Constitution of the United States has been Hacked. It was hacked by a
group of banksters and their cronies in government
in the year of our Lord 1913. The Constitution's built in virus detection software, known as the Supreme Court, detected the insedious virus, and nulified it. However, an effective virus removal tool has not been found to completely remove the insidous code.

Ron Paul is the only one in government willing to do so.

At least someone submitted one.

Maybe with some Revenge of the Nerds music.

Sematary
07-24-2007, 11:34 PM
It looks like RP is third right now

Nash
07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
The RP ad is in first place.

I actually like it a lot. Granted it's "edgy" and it's not "mainstream" but it is really well put together, the music and effects are cool and it's certainly memorable.

I like the Obama ad with the Enya music a lot too. That one is more mainstream but at the same time it's also a bit more generic.

specsaregood
07-25-2007, 01:55 PM
I stuggled; but watched them all and the Ron Paul one was the only one that instantly made me pay attention; before I knew it was pro-Paul.

JaylieWoW
07-25-2007, 02:01 PM
I mean is it too late to submit a commercial, Seems like the competition isn't over till august.

Yeah, Aravoth, your vid is FAR superior!! Find out anything yet?

JaylieWoW
07-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Yeah, Aravoth, your vid is FAR superior!! Find out anything yet?

Link here to submit your video: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19794173/

Razmear
07-25-2007, 02:17 PM
I couldn't even read the text on the first half of that commercial. Are there any other Ron Paul ones that can be voted for to replace this one?

eb

Tina
07-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Ron's ranked #1 right now.:)

MsDoodahs
07-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Can someone post a link directly to the RP one y'all are talking about?

I can't seem to find it... :o

beermotor
07-25-2007, 02:37 PM
I voted, it says it is Ranked #1 now. I thought it was an OK ad.

MsDoodahs
07-25-2007, 02:41 PM
It's an okay ad but I have to say,

ARAVOTH WHERE IS YOURS?

:D

Dave
07-25-2007, 02:47 PM
That video is awful. If someone bothers to read all the text they will be frightened when the mask pops up - "What the...?"

Just creepy. Doesn't create a positive image at all.

Nash
07-25-2007, 02:51 PM
That video is awful. If someone bothers to read all the text they will be frightened when the mask pops up - "What the...?"

Just creepy. Doesn't create a positive image at all.

Well I don't think a commercial like this should be airing on 60 minutes or something.

Like I said it's "edgy" but for a specific demographic (teens and 20-somethings) I think it connects.

Anyway yes, I think an aravoth vid would be much better but I still think the current one is pretty cool .

B964
07-25-2007, 02:51 PM
I could not read anything until the end. The music is ok, the mask thing is not.
I don't like it much and I wonder where it is from, I have never seen it before.
There are a bunch of better ones out there. This feels like a set up.

lovesladyliberty
07-25-2007, 02:55 PM
I voted but I really don't like the add very much and think it won't really appeal to a lot of people. Maybe I'm wrong. Most people don't want to view themselves as apathetic even though they might be and that guy in the mask is creepy. Period.

How was this chosen. Is this another attempt to scare people away from supporting Ron Paul, because if I had seen that before I knew who Ron Paul was, I would not want to associate with that message. No matter how true.

lovesladyliberty
07-25-2007, 02:57 PM
I could not read anything until the end. The music is ok, the mask thing is not.
I don't like it much and I wonder where it is from, I have never seen it before.
There are a bunch of better ones out there. This feels like a set up.

I totally agree and am now regretting my vote. My we should let this poll die on it's own. That is not good representation.

Dave
07-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Well I don't think a commercial like this should be airing on 60 minutes or something.

Like I said it's "edgy" but for a specific demographic (teens and 20-somethings) I think it connects.

Anyway yes, I think an aravoth vid would be much better but I still think the current one is pretty cool .

Yeah - I guess it depends on the target. Think how hard it would be to produce a commercial that would have the same appeal to someone 20 and someone 80. This one's probably better off on myspace than on Matlock reruns!

MsDoodahs
07-25-2007, 03:01 PM
I haven't voted, if Aravoth decides to enter something, then I'll vote for that one.

aravoth
07-25-2007, 03:05 PM
is there anyway to see if other ads have been submitted? Besides the ones they show on the screen?

Nash
07-25-2007, 03:08 PM
I voted but I really don't like the add very much and think it won't really appeal to a lot of people. Maybe I'm wrong. Most people don't want to view themselves as apathetic even though they might be and that guy in the mask is creepy. Period.

How was this chosen. Is this another attempt to scare people away from supporting Ron Paul, because if I had seen that before I knew who Ron Paul was, I would not want to associate with that message. No matter how true.

You realize the mask is from "V for Vendetta" right? It's a pop culture reference that a lot of people in the 20 something demo are going to immediately connect with.

lovesladyliberty
07-25-2007, 03:24 PM
You realize the mask is from "V for Vendetta" right? It's a pop culture reference that a lot of people in the 20 something demo are going to immediately connect with.

Of course. I saw the movie and LOVED it. (I'm not sure if I'll ever get "Remember, remmber, the 5th of November" out of my head.) But I think it would turn a lot of people off to the campaign. And that's not something I want to do. Not everyone in this country is in the 20 something demographic.

I'll admit that I'm not sure a mellow add would make people sit up and take notice, but I don't want to alienate people from the campaign either. America is not filled with activists. Not yet, anyway. I just think there is something better out there. In fact, I just saw it in that Mr. Smith goes to Washington spot.

MsDoodahs
07-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Aravoth, I looked at the MSNBC site but I don't see any way to search the stuff that's been submitted. It appears that I can click on a button and see what it is MSNBC wants me to see. :(

Are you considering entering something?

Please? :)

Dustancostine
07-25-2007, 03:41 PM
The V commercial is in first place right now.

Bergie Bergeron
07-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Let's hope a better RP commercial shows up...

MsDoodahs
07-25-2007, 07:46 PM
I was thinking about this...

Even if Aravoth submitted something I wanted to vote for, how the heck would I find it?

Whoever said they had a feeling we were being set up - you may be right about that...

Anyone know how to scroll through the TOTAL of the submissions to choose what we like, or is this nothing more than yet another MSM "fix" courtesy of that dickhead Chris Mathews?

Bossobass
07-25-2007, 08:52 PM
The 'V' ad is from back when there were few RP grassroots promo vids.

I tried to enter my latest 30 sec clip, but the birth date menu (of all stupid things) will not appear when I click on it, so that nixes my ability to enter. :mad:

Might be 'cause I'm on a Mac...dunno. :rolleyes:

Bosso

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-25-2007, 09:18 PM
There were probably 100 fabulous Ron Paul videos submitted, so they chose the worst they could find. Hell, they probably made it themselves. Chris "Oh God" Matthews. We're not going to get a break with these guys.

CasualApathy
07-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Please don't vote for this AD!

Now before I elaborate, I must confess to being somewhat conspiratorial (or at least highly sceptical) in the way I view the Mainstream Media. Sadly past experience has taught me that this is prudent, just as it is prudent to be sceptical of the sceptics. (There is allways misinformation on both sides of any argument)

However in this case, all the alarm-bells are ringing. I think it would be wise to take a moment to reflect on this ad, and examine its message and the possible consequences of it airing on national TV.

First i would like to look at the actual message being delivered. What story is being told to the viewer. Lets take the statements one at a time as they appear:

1. "Most of us gained freedom through the sacrifices of others."
2. "In return we were to guard these freedoms by staying informed and alert."
3. "While we fight over which party gains power in washington."
4. "Ignoring the constitution and the rule of law which clearly states that only we the people hold any power."
5. "Our government no longer represents us, our rights are no longer guarenteed"
6. "Through apathy and ignorance...."
7. "We have lost our way."
8. "If you're ready to take it back."
9. "Let's clear the air."
10. "The revolution starts now - Ron Paul 2008"

Im quite sure most of you can read that and pretty much agree with each individual statement. I know i can!
I have been aware of the all scams and misinformation for a long time. I have been angry, disillusioned, depressed and continuously outraged by the way truth, honour and justice have been trampled on in the past years. And i have come to understand and love the philosophy of liberty. I have spent countless hours going through this process, and I am still taking this journey. I have become engaged in politics, I have informed myself on countless issues. I have studied the past, the present, and the direction in which we are headed in the future. So naturally, the message of this AD appeals to me, and everyone else who has gone through a similar process.

However, try now as best you can to put yourself in the shoes of someone who hasn't... Someone who hasn't even heard of Ron Paul. Who hasn't studied the constitution or read the bill of rights.
They may have a gut feeling that things are bad, or they may not. In any case, they have not gone through the process of sorting through all the misinformation out there.

What is this video telling those viewers? Stripping away the underlying knowledge required to fully appriciate each statement, and simply looking at the narrative of what is being said, i submit that we would be left with something this:

1-2: Others have sacrificed for your freedom, and you owe it to them to be informed and alert, so you can defend it. It would be selfish and immoral of you not to, as it is a contract "In return we were to guard..."

3-4-5: While you- the people/viewer mindlessly fight over wether to vote Democrat or Republican, you ignore the constitution and the rule of law. As a direct result the government no longer represents you, and you have lost your rights.

6-7: You are responsible, as you are both ignorant and indifferent (apathic?), you have lost your way.

8-9-10: If you are ready to "take it back", we must "clear the air". "The revolution starts now!"

Now, we have some loaded phraces here. A person might wonder: What exactly does "Clear the air" mean? and what is this talk of revolution, and of TAKING the country back? Is this guy some crazy radical?

So what impression is the viewer left with? I think we can agree that it is not the usual positive message of liberty that is winning support for Ron Paul nationwide.

The green Matrix-like look of the text, the creepy music and frantic voices in the background all add to the wierd and uncomfortable "feel" of the video.

And the video doesn't give any answers. You will not really learn anything about Ron Paul from seeing this AD. All you get is someone poking you with a stick, hoping to burst your bubble.

As some of you have pointed out, the video might work better for young people, but i am seriously concerned that even more people will have a negative reaction to it. And i am concerned that the video was designed specifically for this purpose.

I mean would we really put it past the MSM? We have all witnessed the constant and obvious attacks on Ron on TV (With some execptions). We all see the systematical spin to make him appear as a fringe candidate. Ron Paul literally has a 1-2% poll slapped in his face at the start of every interview. When he talks about pulling out of Iraq, the images of US soldiers rebuilding an Iraqi school are shown on a split-screen. and so on, and so on....

This just seems like a video, carefully crafted to appeal to his hardcore supporters, and pretty much noone else, knowing all too well that it is sure to win the vote.

Of course, it could have been made by a supporter as well, and cherry-picked by the editors. But in both cases, i think no good will come of it.

DjLoTi
07-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Dude, for real. This video sucks. But.. hey... what do you expect. They want us to win. So they can spread their user voted propaganda... we mustn't be so desperate...

They want it to win so they can be like, "look at all those crazy people on the internet. See! We've been telling you, TV land! The internet is a bunch of weirdos!"

hells_unicorn
07-26-2007, 12:16 AM
I think the video is fine, the text was a little hard to follow during a few parts, but otherwise it was cool. V for Vendetta and The Matrix popped into my heard while watching it, definitely something that will rake in the younger viewers. I think the age demographic on this forum is a bit older than what this video would appeal to, and that is why most here probably don't like it.

honkywill
07-26-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm dissapointed with this shit. Why would you guys vote for this?

I know his support is strong and well-meaning but AHHH!

It's a blatant set-up, and the fact that this rubbish is in first is even more upsetting. This kind of video will not connect with the typical hardball watcher, it doesn't even connect with me and I am a hardcore supporter.

DjLoTi
07-26-2007, 12:28 AM
I'm 21 and I don't know what the hell the mask is all about.

ghemminger
07-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Hey guys..just saw all the videos for the first time.Watched th RP one last...I have a fresh perspective....before I think about it too much.....

This appears, is most probably a set up......sorry. I have never seen this video on you tube and niether have you because an msnbc intern created it....it is very clear what has passiert here.....just terrible

Oh well, one more predudical label you guys will have to shed..... No Sir, we are not all anarchists on the internet and no we don't want to tear down your church and burn down city hall....

MsDoodahs
07-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Wait, an MSNBC INTERN created it?

How do you know that?

Get confirming info here!

Their sister network CNBC just had that DISASTEROUS trading "contest."

Fox News might actually report some stuff like this because they can spin it to damage their competition.

LibertyOfOne
07-26-2007, 08:05 AM
If you want to cancel your vote you could vote the rest of the videos up.