PDA

View Full Version : 5/19/2007 Brenham Stump Speech Review

megiddo
05-22-2007, 08:53 AM
5/19/2007 - Brenham, TX 1:30 PM

It's easy to listen to what you like to hear, and Ron Paul was very easy to listen to. He spoke clearly, and hit all the major points of his platform. He gave plenty of time for questions, and answered them forthrightly, and without ambiguity. He was warm and personable, and made time before the speech to meet his constituents. Overall, I believe the whole crowd (about 75 people) were moved to more action.

My only critiques were in advertising and delivery. It was very difficult to find this meeting, and I knew where to go. Ron Paul needs better communication of his public appearances--you can't have them without the public itself.

In delivery, Dr. Paul's voice is steady, warm, and emotional. He feels paternal without being paternalistic. It was good to hear honesty from a repeat veteran of Congress. He was not cynical, and spoke the truth. Missing from his stump speech, was some element of stumpiness.

Dr. Paul clearly knows his material, and has a structured message, but at times transitions were poor, ideas were not fully articulated, and argument was in the passive voice. Notably, the planks of his platform were explained, but not introduced. On several occassions, I had the desire to stand up and exhort him to say what it is we wanted to hear. It's fine to discuss a position on taxes or liberty, but when the explanation is over, it's then time to state a position. Let's hear an "I will cut taxes" or "I fight for your freedom!" Simple, one-line, mono-syllabic statements of his planks.

The platform needs to be fully articulated both in one-liners, and in extended form. Just to reiterate his point, he should have book-ended his arguments with these one-line planks. Perhaps we all know what these are, and for many, why they should hold; but these speech opportunities aren't for the passionate supporter (as much as we love to hear them), but for the marginal supporter, or the uninitiated.

Clearly, Dr. Paul has a public persona that can rally support. He has a sound platform that Americans cannot in good conscious disagree with. What he lacks is a simply-stated, strongly worded platform.

Perhaps the greatest scholar of constitutional rights on the public ticket today can take a few lessons on punctuating his speeches from those same founding fathers. Can we hear a "Give me liberty", Dr. Paul?

- Noah Smith, College Station, TX

LizF
05-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Even though I wasn't there, I agree w/you based on what I've seen of him in the debates.

It is refreshing to hear someone speak clearly w/out "spin" and ambiguity, and his warmth and genuineness definitely comes through.

Granted he hasn't had much of a chance to speak unfettered in the debates, though perhaps having had the floor in the stump speech you saw, his delivery fell short.

I'm somewhat torn on this, as he (and any candidate probably) could benefit from working on public speaking, message delivery as we're so used to expecting super polished candidates. On the other hand, part of R.Paul's charm is that he's not like the other candidates, and his message makes up for (or at least should) for a less than perfect delivery.

On the plus side, after 6+ yrs of Dubya's less than articulate presentations, the fact that R.P. speaks in complete and coherent sentences, will still be an improvement--even w/out the "polish".

NMCB3
05-22-2007, 09:23 AM
I have been following Ron Paul for a number of years now, and have watched probably all his video`s, read 80% of his speeches, and a couple of his books. So when he speaks I know exactly what he`s talking about. I can usually even predict what his answer to a specific question will be before he answers with a fair amount of accuracy. However the public in general is fed one liners, sound bites and slogans. When Ron starts articulating his position their eyes just glaze over. Although I hate to say it, maybe he needs to dumb down parts of his message. Come up with a few one liners, and slogans that will grab peoples attention. I`m not saying turn into a Bush or Guiliani (no ones that dumb) but simply condense the message for general consumption. Then if he needs to he can always elaborate on the point.

MsDoodahs
05-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Do we sell americans way short when we claim that because they've been fed teeny soundbytes for years that that is what they need Dr. Paul to give them, too?

Is it possible that americans are today so starving for truth that a candidate whose message isn't dumbed down into a soundbyte has a chance to win them over?

NMCB3
05-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Do we sell americans way short when we claim that because they've been fed teeny sound bytes for years that that is what they need Dr. Paul to give them, too? I honestly don`t think so. They love sound bites and slogans. When I try to communicate my position to them, that is what I get back in return.

Is it possible that americans are today so starving for truth that a candidate whose message isn't dumbed down into a soundbyte has a chance to win them over? I think your right, but a few well thought out sound bites to get them to prick their ears up and take notice, while making them wan`t to learn more certainly would not hurt.