PDA

View Full Version : STICKY THIS: Canvassing International Airports

JeffSchulman
01-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Members of the Seoul Meetup went to Incheon International Airport today and canvassed for over 3 hours for Dr. Paul. International Airports are a massively overlooked location for promoting the campaign.

People were absolutely shocked to see us. Could you imagine being halfway around the world and approached by people supporting Ron? There is also a large percentage of military members who fly in and out of this airport constantly. Also, what better time then to hand out reading material? It gives people time to think and read, for both departures and arrivals- In the air for 12+ hours or on a bus to a hotel for an hour or more, and in the hotel room.

Here was the plan that we executed:
We had an article that was published in the Korea Times printed up and handed it out, along with Ron Paul cards and official campaign flyers. We checked the arrivals and departures schedule, and went at a time when there were a lot of flights to and from the States. Then we basically made circuits from Departures to Arrivals to the bus/taxi waiting zone, looking for people carrying American Passports, with Military Haircuts, and that "looked American." We talked to at least 30 people, most of which were receptive (save for a military officer who said, "Ron Paul can kiss my ass, I just got back from Iraq [I believe that is a chargable offence under the UCMJ, conduct unbecoming of an officer for talking about a sitting Congressman that way.])

We also brought along voter registration information - deadlines lists, etc. You may want to print out blank Federal Overseas Absentee Ballots as well, but they will still have to look up the address to send to.

I think the shock value of seeing a Ron Paul supporter canvassing in another country, and the immediate impact of being able to reach so many people in such a relatively short amount of time, when they have the time to read and digest the materials, will prove tremendously effective in winning votes.

Note: Wear a suit and tie; people do respond based on initial impressions.