PDA

View Full Version : What's a 20 year old to do?

eckstein88
01-13-2008, 03:46 AM
(I apologize in advance for the long post)

Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker here for several months. I first heard about Ron Paul when he was on The Daily Show and my life immediately changed. I went from an apathetic and cynical 20 year old college student to energized and passionate about making change. I realized I wasn't alone in the views I held about the way the world works as well as my place in the political spectrum.

I have a great deal of respect for Dr. Paul, and when I think about the life he has led and the sacrifices he has made the respect and admiration I have for him becomes difficult to put into words. He has single-handedly galvanized and invigorated a movement that could potentially save this country and the world and I recognize that this movement can continue eventually without him.

However, as I have become more educated about the movement, I have also become more aware of the forces that work against us. It is difficult to know where conspiracy theory ends and conspiracy fact begins, but there is no question that corporate media, the military-industrial complex, and the people at the top of our economic system do NOT want our movement to be successful. I fear their power, and their ability to manipulate the minds of the majority of people. It is frightening to talk to others about politics; from the admitted imperialists, to the friends that are voting for "I don't know, Giuliani I guess", to the pro-war democrats, to the people that stop listening and get annoyed when politics are brought up, etc. It's absolutely frightening having a debate with someone you respect and having them tell you they like a candidate and not be able to tell you any of their positions (but they're a good speaker!).

I have also learned about the 56 trillion dollar debt for Social Security and Medicare, the collapse of the dollar (and its similarity to the collapse of the Roman denarii), voter fraud, shady history of the Federal Reserve, etc etc etc...

And despite all of this, I have inspired people to join this cause, and I myself have been involved in spreading the message. I have come to question every "self-evident" belief I have ever been given. I have even changed my major to Political Science, in the hope that I can work from within the system to bring about change. My LIFE has become consumed by this movement, to the point that everyday things like parties and movies seem superficial and meaningless.

Looking at the forces we face, and the tremendous national debt we carry(both monetary and otherwise), and the frailty of our society and economy, it becomes apparent that everything that defines our society could be over at any moment, and is literally held together by mere threads.

Do we have any idea the extent to which those with power are in control? Is the United States destined to fall? Was our movement predictable (and therefore containable)? Are the ideas of the Renaissance and the sacrifices of our Founding Fathers destined to be a mere footnote in the history books as a noble yet absurd notion that human beings could live as equals in a free society? Will our lives soon be defined by a battle for mere survival?

These are questions that I don't have an answer to, and that have haunted me ever since I went down the path that the rest of you have also travelled. How do you go about your daily lives with this knowledge? How do you live with the knowledge of corruption in every aspect of our lives, and the knowledge that countless things are placed in such a way as to distract us from the truth. How are we expected to exist on the fringes of the mainstream and not go crazy?

Its enough to make a 20 year old a bit paranoid and depressed.

Dave Pedersen
01-13-2008, 04:00 AM
I hear ya.

When I was 20 the threat of nuclear war was already 20 years old in my mind. Yet every so often I would wake up sweating at the dreams of nuclear blasts wiping out home and hearth. I had a recurring dream hundreds of soldiers were coming over the hills and everything was being destroyed in their path. I would run as fast as I could to a bomb shelter and would never quite make it past the sealed door. The blast wave would approach and I would get mangled up and barely survive only to suffer lethal wounds with no one to help. Those were the dreams of my youth. They didn't happen.

Today the fears are a little different but still at 50 I want to live. Everyone at 90 wants to live too unless their bodies are so degraded life is much more about torment than tranquility. I fear today as much as then. It has become a well ingrained habit which only a few years ago I finally realized would never leave me no matter how peaceful a life I could find someday. The habits of fear waste away the soul and are not worth a bug's ass.

My hope is Christ.

rodent
01-13-2008, 04:14 AM
(I apologize in advance for the long post)

Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker here for several months. I first heard about Ron Paul when he was on The Daily Show and my life immediately changed. I went from an apathetic and cynical 20 year old college student to energized and passionate about making change. I realized I wasn't alone in the views I held about the way the world works as well as my place in the political spectrum.

I am 28 years old. Today I told my mom about the upcoming depression and she said I'm losing my mind and that there is nothing I can do to prevent it. She thinks I have a mental illness and doesn't see what's going on in this country.

Sigh.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-13-2008, 05:47 AM
I have even changed my major to Political Science, in the hope that I can work from within the system to bring about change. My LIFE has become consumed by this movement, to the point that everyday things like parties and movies seem superficial and meaningless.

Be careful with that. It's the everyday things in life that make it worth living.

Do we have any idea the extent to which those with power are in control? Is the United States destined to fall? Was our movement predictable (and therefore containable)? Are the ideas of the Renaissance and the sacrifices of our Founding Fathers destined to be a mere footnote in the history books as a noble yet absurd notion that human beings could live as equals in a free society? Will our lives soon be defined by a battle for mere survival?

These are questions that I don't have an answer to, and that have haunted me ever since I went down the path that the rest of you have also travelled. How do you go about your daily lives with this knowledge? How do you live with the knowledge of corruption in every aspect of our lives, and the knowledge that countless things are placed in such a way as to distract us from the truth. How are we expected to exist on the fringes of the mainstream and not go crazy?

I've seen some older people who recently started opening their eyes, and it completely freaked them the hell out. It was way too much at once. The first thing is... don't get too paranoid, and don't live in fear. People don't make good decisions when they're paranoid and fearful.

Make sure you critically examine any "theories" you see. Make your reactions to those theories match up with things you can realistically do about them. (if you believe they're true)

It doesn't always matter if those at the top are evil, or just incompetent - as far as your reactions go. Either way, it's not like you're going to call a CFR meeting and change everyone's mind. At the same time, it's not like you're going to call a meeting of America and change everyone's mind. (although it seems we're working on that.) You do what you can, a little at a time.

It sounds like you're suffering from a feeling of loss of control and general uncertainty. I don't know if you're male or female. If male, weightlifting might help. It gets a little agression out, and makes you stonger and more confident. Martial arts are good too, for the same reasons.

In the next few years... in my opinion, the biggest thing to worry about is a complete economic breakdown. Don't worry too much about national debt. There's nothing you can do about that in the short term. But, what if everything broke down? Where would you go? Would you have sufficient friends and supplies? Do you know how to build shelter, fires, fish, hunt? Work on things that have practical applications for the moment, while you fight the other things with ideology long term.

Sarge
01-13-2008, 06:07 AM
Very timely and thoughtful,

I am 69, and went out for coffee on the patio before I got on here. I was thinking about all these things.
Not so much about me, but more about my wife and two sons and the effect on them.

What I and we do, if there is a complete collapse of the dollar. I am lucky that our new house is paid off. Not so our two sons. One still will have to pay property taxes etc. and how, if the dollar is no good. It is hard to get people to discuss what I am seeing coming down the pike.

Xenophage
01-13-2008, 06:23 AM
There is unlikely to be a catastrophic, near instantaneous collapse of the dollar. It is declining the same way it has been declining in value for a looooong time, although the decline has gotten rather speedy lately.

Anyway... woot for us young people!

We should start a MySpace sharing thread.

cswake
01-13-2008, 09:19 AM
You can help out by becoming a precinct leader and going door-to-door:
http://voters.ronpaul2008.com

Perhaps we can prevent the end of the world. :)

Cinci4RP
01-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Do we have any idea the extent to which those with power are in control?

Yes, that is why we must press on and wake up the apathetic, we have numbers on our side.

Is the United States destined to fall?

Yes, just as man is appointed once to die, it is our duty that it doesn't happen in our or our childrens lifetimes.

Was our movement predictable (and therefore containable)?

Revolution is the most predictble consequence of tyranny.

Are the ideas of the Renaissance and the sacrifices of our Founding Fathers destined to be a mere footnote in the history books as a noble yet absurd notion that human beings could live as equals in a free society?

No

Will our lives soon be defined by a battle for mere survival?

I hope not, but I am writing a book for when/if the faces makes contact with the rapidly rotating blades

ssdded
01-13-2008, 02:30 PM
My LIFE has become consumed by this movement, to the point that everyday things like parties and movies seem superficial and meaningless.

NO, NO, NO, A MILLION TIMES NO! DO NOT LET ANYTHING CONSUME YOUR LIFE TO THE POINT WHERE EVERYDAY THINGS BECOME "superficial and meaningless." That's one of the worst mistakes a person can make.

Is the United States destined to fall?

Destined, no. Does it deserve to if things don't change very soon? You bet your ass.

How do you go about your daily lives with this knowledge?

That government is corrupt and that the proverbial feces could hit the fan at any moment? Hope for the best. Be as ready as possible given one's own personal circumstances for the worst.

How are we expected to exist on the fringes of the mainstream and not go crazy?

That's just it. If we're on the fringes of the mainstream, we're probably already seen as crazy.

CurtisLow
01-13-2008, 02:38 PM
What ever you do don't take any pharmaceuticals for your paranoia or depression.

The FDA is not your friend!

Look at natural medicines for what ales you.

eckstein88
01-13-2008, 04:57 PM
I appreciate all of the responses:

Dave P - Putting it into perspective makes it easier to accept that we are always one step away from disaster.

rodent - I've had the same conversations with my parents. My mother is apathetic and is voting for Ron Paul because I asked her to (sigh, a vote is a vote a suppose) and my father has been glued to Fox News for years....he's gonna take some time

Money and ssdded - By consumed, I mean the people i've begun to spend time with are more mature, and we discuss politics and philosophy instead of getting drunk and chasing girls.

Sarge and Xenophage - What is a college student like myself supposed to do when the market I will be entering will be in shambles or non-existant? Wouldn't it make more sense for me to be using my loans to learn survival training? The point really being, how much are our lives supposed to change with the knowledge that this economic catastrophe is possible at any time?

cswake - I was actually seriously considering becoming a precinct leader, or at least become more involved in the official campaign or meetup group in my area.

cinci - thanks

curtis - I would never take a chemical to treat paranoia or depression, dont worry :)

did you have any natural medicines in mind?

Thanks again for the replies

Andrew-Austin
01-13-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm in a very similar situation myself, and wonder how I should be spending my time. Right now I'm balancing colleges studies and preparing for the coming economic and social thrashing of the nation.

We should start a MySpace sharing thread.

No you should get off myspace and never use it again as its owned by Rupert Murdoch.

curtis - I would never take a chemical to treat paranoia or depression, dont worry :)

did you have any natural medicines in mind?

The best ways to prevent negative/disorderly thought patterns is to maintain a healthy diet and exercise often. Finding spiritual/philosophical meaning in your everyday living wouldn't hurt either.

Getting a gym membership has proven to be very worthwhile for me. Gives ya positive energy.

constituent
01-13-2008, 06:03 PM
:: edit ::

eckstein88
01-13-2008, 09:00 PM
No you should get off myspace and never use it again as its owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Facebook then! :D

CowCat33
01-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Try to live day by day, as the "doom and gloom" scenario may never come to fruition in your lifetime. If it does, you will have to deal with it then. I am almost 33 and very disillusioned (well have been for a long time) because I have seen the way things are going, and the pace seems to be quickening all the time. The problem is I have focused my thoughts on the negative, which is not healthy. Try to stay positive no matter what, depression and worry are easy to succumb to, don't let them take hold. I wish I could take my own advice, but I have become stuck in a downward spiral of negative thinking for quite a long time. You are still young - so keep fighting and always look for the positive, always. Life really is what you make of it.

livinitup
01-14-2008, 12:03 AM
To prepare for an economic or dollar collapse there are steps that should be taken. Even if the dollar only goes down 50% more, planning for it will only make you feel more secure and will greatly effect your economic standing in this country and the world.

Buy commodities: Gold, silver, platinum, diamond and even copper. When the dollar becomes worthless these substances will still have value to someone, even if it is from another country. I would caution however in buying gold through some type of fund. You want to have tangible assets.

Buy Real Estate: Real Estate can be a hedge against inflation. The contract to repay the mortgage on real estate is made in dollars. Today, you promise to repay $100,000 if the value of the dollar plummets it will still only cost you $100K to pay off the loan. An example would be my grandmother buying her house in 1963 for $13,000 and today it is worth $700,000. Sometimes you will hear stories about Germany during the war and how someone brings a wheelbarrow full of German marks, goes to the store to by a loaf of bread but gets mugged.The muggers leave the pile of cash and make off with the wheelbarrow. In essense the cash is worthless and the wheelbarrow is still worth what a wheelbarrow is worth. Or the story of the woman burning marks to heat her house. The german gov't like our own tried to print too much money and made the mark worthless.

However this can all be taken with a grain of salt because when Ron Paul is elected President our economic uncertainty will be over. He will bring the troops home saving us hundreds of billions of dollars. The economy should begin to rebound just from the new that we have started to withdraw from Iraq. I'm sure he will veto every budget that isn't balanced. Restore our freedoms.

Consuming yourself in a cause that is greater than yourself is honorable. Take Ralph Nater for instance. He has dedicated his entire life to being an advocate for the people of the US. He never got married, believing it would be unfair to a wife and family because he wouldn't be able to give them 100%. I believe he has been the greatest consumer advocate our country has ever seen. It takes sacrifice. It takes great men like Ron Paul and Ralph Nater to bring justice and freedom to our lives.

Conza88
01-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Man, respect to all who've posted in this thread. Some great, intelligent and wonderfully articulated advice.

Eckstein, http://www.ronpauliswrong.com/ - print this for your dad. "Why Ron Paul is Right
An answer for those conservative voters who "like Ron Paul on a lot of issues, but think he's just flat out wrong on foreign policy." Give it to him, when he's not busy, when the hustle and bustle of the day are over. When the tv is not on, when there are no distractions. Then tell him, looking him scare in the eye " Dad, if you love me - you'll read this". Maybe no need to be so sentimental, make your own judgment as to whether he will discard it, or by your statement, it will make him consider it.

A little truth to start with then, expand on it. i.e There were no wmd's, they lied about that. That's fairly msm. Then, expand I guess. You can always show him the documentary; http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6737097743434902428 -- OUTFOXED : Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism. Let me know how it goes.

As for feeling down in the dumps. Exercise works. It's what we did constantly back in the day, you know when we were hunters & gatherers. No cars, no transport but your legs. Our bodies were built for that. And there is a reason why exercise releases endorphins, that make you happy.

Besides that it is greatly important to keep a balance. Ever heard, "too much of a good thing?"
Too much vitamin c from oranges, you get worms. Too much exercise, you may get heat stroke. Too much alcohol, you get a hangover. Too much sugar, you get diabetes. etc. So too much of anything, can be regarded as bad. But let's not get too philosophical here, hehe.

It is my opinion, that balance is key. I suggest you read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. But what I really am suggesting..

“Growth in wisdom may be exactly measured by decrease in bitterness”
Friedrich Nietzsche

So get wise. :)

“If I were asked to give what I consider the single most useful bit of advice for all humanity it would be this: Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life and when it comes, hold you head high, look it squarely in eye and say, 'I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me.'”
~ Ann Landers

“Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success. Always be on the lookout for ways to turn a problem into an opportunity for success. Always be on the lookout for ways to nurture your dream.”
~ Lao Tzu

I'm sorry, I could quote all day. Thinkexist.com for anyone who wishes too aswell. I'm beginning to use the words of wisdom from the likes of so many worthy people of the past, in every day situations.

Essentially, it is the pursuit of truth & happiness that guides my life.

“Are you not ashamed of caring so much for the making of money and for fame and prestige, when you neither think nor care about wisdom and truth and the improvement of your soul?”
~ Socrates

Besides using physical methods; exercise - for an instant boost. Mental pleasures are much longer and stronger.

“The true lover of learning then must his earliest youth, as far as in him lies, desire all truth. . He whose desires are drawn toward knowledge in every form will be absorbed in the pleasures of the soul, and will hardly feel bodily pleasures- -I me” ~ Plato

Consequently:
“Remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Additionally; I have a set of youtube clips I watch when I get down & out. We Are The Ones We Have Been Waiting For
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7KHUbuhgpQ Is one of them, if you want a whole list. I will comply. :) Basically mate, it all comes down to your thoughts & thinking.

“Thoughts are things; they have tremendous power. Thoughts of doubt and fear are pathways to failure. When you conquer negative attitudes of doubt and fear you conquer failure. Thoughts crystallize into habit and habit solidifies into circumstances.”
~ Bryan Adams

“The way to overcome negative thoughts and destructive emotions is to develop opposing, positive emotions that are stronger and more powerful.”
~ Tenzin Gyatso, The 14th Dalai Lama

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”