PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Partner with News Corp

ceakins
01-13-2008, 03:13 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/12/28/jobs-changes-tune-to-pus_n_78545.html

Jobs Changes Tune, To Push Movie Rentals Over Downloads

New York Post | Brian Garrity | December 28, 2007 09:23 AM
Read More: 20th Century Fox, Apple, Apple Fox, Apple TV, Apple Video Rentals, Itunes, Macworld Conference, News Corp, Rental Download Service, Steve Jobs, Breaking Business News
stumbleupon :Jobs Changes Tune, To Push Movie Rentals Over Downloads digg: Jobs Changes Tune, To Push Movie Rentals Over Downloads reddit: Jobs Changes Tune, To Push Movie Rentals Over Downloads del.icio.us: Jobs Changes Tune, To Push Movie Rentals Over Downloads

* Email
* Print
* Comments

Apple Inc. boss Steve Jobs may be used to calling the shots in almost every business venture he enters into, but in dealing with the entertainment industry he's being forced to learn he can't always get his way.

After trying for over a year to jam down the throats of studio executives the concept of selling cheap movie downloads via iTunes and having limited success, the notoriously inflexible tech titan is expected to change tactics and push low-cost rentals instead.

Apple is said to be close to announcing a deal with News Corp.'s 20th Century Fox about a rental download service that could be announced at the Macworld Conference on Jan. 15, if not sooner, and is actively talking to a number of other studios about the offering. (News Corp. also owns The Post).

It currently sells select movie titles from Disney, Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM.

ceakins
01-13-2008, 03:13 AM
Guess my Macbook will be the last product I buy from Apple.

Steve Jobs e-mail and yes he actually reads it.

sjobs@apple.com

Myerz
01-13-2008, 03:15 AM
No more apple products for me...

kushaze
01-13-2008, 03:17 AM
Why would I rent movies anyways, when I can download them for free from the internet?

Coola
01-13-2008, 03:20 AM
go microsoft!

Give me liberty
01-13-2008, 03:22 AM
go microsoft!

Go sony and microsoft! :p

RSLudlum
01-13-2008, 03:24 AM
just one thing i want to remind you: please think before you type!!! :D

keep the threats at a boycott level not personal.

EvilEngineer
01-13-2008, 03:25 AM
I love macs... but I will drop them like a brick of shit if they do this.

xCakex
01-13-2008, 03:37 AM
Blimp for great justice! Sad news.

Richandler
01-13-2008, 03:43 AM
This has nothing to do with the Fox News channel. This also is a deal with News Corp to sell a product. Buying a mac will not result in revenue for News corp. It's renting their movies, which I have a good feeling no one is going to do anyway.

austin356
01-13-2008, 04:29 AM
Humm should I consider actually paying for my version of Mr Softy now? :) :)??

sandersondavis
01-13-2008, 05:03 AM
I guess it's time to boycott Apple.

dreamsinc
01-13-2008, 06:06 AM
Please don't boycott Apple. As a previous post said, buying a Mac or iPod will not support News Corp. Only the purchase of Fox content from iTunes will result in any money going to News Corp.

Boycotting Apple would be like boycotting all movie theaters, video stores, and TV manufacturers.

Apple has contributed so much to our cause by providing easy to use and powerful tools to spread our message. I don't want Apple to suffer just because they have a content deal with News Corps.

Please only boycott content.

Just my two cents.

constituent
01-13-2008, 06:30 AM
lol. the reactions are beyond funny.... particularly the "go microsoft" ones.

who cares? this has nothing to do w/ the comp.s or OS itself, and everything
to do w/ availability of movie rentals....

and who cares?

i didn't think people still payed for movies anyway, silly me i guess.

i'd call this murdoch's bad fo' sho

constituent
01-13-2008, 06:31 AM
Apple has contributed so much to our cause by providing easy to use and powerful tools to spread our message. I don't want Apple to suffer just because they have a content deal with News Corps.

not to mention the huge amount of freeware available for the mac. it's just insane.

Joe3113
01-13-2008, 06:34 AM
This has nothing to do with the Fox News channel. This also is a deal with News Corp to sell a product. Buying a mac will not result in revenue for News corp. It's renting their movies, which I have a good feeling no one is going to do anyway.

No compromises

Joe3113
01-13-2008, 06:35 AM
I love it how everyone makes excuses. If Mac had any morals they would do ABSOLUTELY NO DEALS with News Corp. News Corp needs to be isolated and destroyed. If they are still able to do deals then they will never be isolated.

ecliptic
01-13-2008, 08:54 AM
go microsoft!

... i just threw up in my mouth a little.... yuk

Cogz
01-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Why would I rent movies anyways, when I can download them for free from the internet?

Because that is PROPERTY owned by someone else and that you have a responsibility to exchange one item of worth (money) for the ability to watch that property.

I am not a fan of News Corp in the least, but to advocate stealing someone else's property is not a good way to fight the fight.

Sorry - this is a touchy subject because I make my living creating content, and I believe in supporting the artists and businesses that provide a worthwhile service to me so I can hope to get the same courtesy for myself.

Ninja Homer
01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Because that is PROPERTY owned by someone else and that you have a responsibility to exchange one item of worth (money) for the ability to watch that property.

I am not a fan of News Corp in the least, but to advocate stealing someone else's property is not a good way to fight the fight.

Sorry - this is a touchy subject because I make my living creating content, and I believe in supporting the artists and businesses that provide a worthwhile service to me so I can hope to get the same courtesy for myself.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but let's get one thing straight... it is NOT stealing, it is copyright infringement. If it was stealing, the original owners would no longer have possession of it.

noztnac
01-13-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm keeping my Mac and I'll buy another one.

They make better computers.

I'm sure Steve Jobs isn't making his business decision based on Fox treatment of Ron Paul.

Enzo
01-13-2008, 11:26 AM
No reason to boycott Apple.

Apple has also made deals with Starbucks.

I simply refuse to purchase or rent anything from Starbucks... the same could be done with FOX movies. just don't rent them.

Steve Jobs has consistently been on the side of abolishing DRM as well as not censoring the internet.

Unfortunately, he's gotta make deals with the devil sometimes. Another example is AT&T being the sole carrier for the iPhone...

Apple still makes a superior product. We as consumers can decide what to buy, sell, or rent with that product.

Laja
01-13-2008, 11:30 AM
I think that we should all write to Steve and tell him how we love our Macs and all our Apple products, but we are completely boycotting all things Fox because of how Fox has treated our beloved RP.

What will speak to him is that Apple lovers are Ron Paul lovers and to do a deal with the Master of Evil himself, Rupert Murdoch, will put Apple in a very bad light. Enough of us refuse to buy iPhones until the deal with evil giant, A T & T, is finished.

If enough of us write him, not a threatening letter, but one that speaks of our love of Apple's products and his genius (gotta massage his ego) and just how much Fox and all things Newscorp has done to damage our country, he just may listen.

RonPaulVolunteer
01-13-2008, 11:32 AM
OMG, leave Apple alone...

Somebody_Else
01-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Steve Jobs already sold out to the devil when he partnered with AT&T on the iPhone.
Personally, I can't stand anything Apple so I'll be perfectly happy to boycott all apple products. :D

There are alternatives to quicktime for playing back .mov files (google quicktime alternative)

If you have an iPod (why??? There are better MP3 players out there for less!), there are programs that will let you put songs on it without iTunes
http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08/10-alternatives-to-itunes-for-managing-your-ipod/

Laja
01-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Steve Jobs already sold out to the devil when he partnered with AT&T on the iPhone.
Personally, I can't stand anything Apple so I'll be perfectly happy to boycott all apple products. :D

There are alternatives to quicktime for playing back .mov files (google quicktime alternative)

If you have an iPod (why??? There are better MP3 players out there for less!), there are programs that will let you put songs on it without iTunes
http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08/10-alternatives-to-itunes-for-managing-your-ipod/

Can't stand anything Apple? What, are you nuts??? I think you're from another planet. Apple makes the BEST computers, iPods, Apple TV, iTunes...everything.

constituent
01-13-2008, 03:12 PM

ah yes, art... if you can afford it.

that model has gone the way of the dinosaur...

hasn't done much for art (paints, etc.), music or cinema anyway.

Somebody_Else
01-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Can't stand anything Apple? What, are you nuts??? I think you're from another planet. Apple makes the BEST computers, iPods, Apple TV, iTunes...everything.

You're kidding right? Somebody drank the kool-aid... :p

I've been building my own PCs for years, and I'm a gamer, so theres no way I can use a mac (I could dual-boot Windows/OS10, but it kinda defeats the purpose). I will admit that there is some great image and video editing software on the Apple side. I think the big issue for a lot of people is the price. I've got a Sony VAIO SZ that is almost identical to the current 15" macbooks, led backlit screen and all. It was half the price and it looks sexier. :D

I don't understand why people like the iPod at all. Do the newer ones even have an equalizer yet??? The DACs suck, you're limited to Apple's proprietary music format and mp3, you can't use it as an external hard drive, the clickwheel sucks compared to the interface on the old Rio Karma... I can go on.

I'm currently using a Cowon X5. It's got a nice OLED screen that uses very little battery power, it plays a everything from mp3 to wma to flac, it plays video, it has a simple interface, it shows up as an external drive (I don't need anything like iTunes, I just drag and drop my music into the appropriate folder), its got the best DACs (and thus best audio quality) of any portable player (It can drive my Sennheiser HD 555s no problem), it has a full equalizer, its smaller than the iPod video, and with special firmware you can play Doom!

Andrew-Austin
01-13-2008, 03:32 PM
People saying "Go Microsoft!" = Xbox fanboys ignorant of how evil Microsoft is

People saying "Leave Apple alone!" = Apple fanboys who are loyal to the company just because they hate Microsoft.

Disclaimer: This comment was not meant to be taken seriously.

constituent
01-13-2008, 03:40 PM
People saying "Go Microsoft!" = Xbox fanboys ignorant of how evil Microsoft is

People saying "Leave Apple alone!" = Apple fanboys who are loyal to the company just because they hate Microsoft.

Disclaimer: This comment was not meant to be taken seriously.

you talk mad trash. :)

now if i could just get pages to mail merge properly...

magicite
01-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Boycott Apple? Are you people actually serious? Stop being so reactionary.

Laja
01-13-2008, 06:27 PM
You're kidding right? Somebody drank the kool-aid... :p

I've been building my own PCs for years, and I'm a gamer, so theres no way I can use a mac (I could dual-boot Windows/OS10, but it kinda defeats the purpose). I will admit that there is some great image and video editing software on the Apple side. I think the big issue for a lot of people is the price. I've got a Sony VAIO SZ that is almost identical to the current 15" macbooks, led backlit screen and all. It was half the price and it looks sexier. :D

I don't understand why people like the iPod at all. Do the newer ones even have an equalizer yet??? The DACs suck, you're limited to Apple's proprietary music format and mp3, you can't use it as an external hard drive, the clickwheel sucks compared to the interface on the old Rio Karma... I can go on.

I'm currently using a Cowon X5. It's got a nice OLED screen that uses very little battery power, it plays a everything from mp3 to wma to flac, it plays video, it has a simple interface, it shows up as an external drive (I don't need anything like iTunes, I just drag and drop my music into the appropriate folder), its got the best DACs (and thus best audio quality) of any portable player (It can drive my Sennheiser HD 555s no problem), it has a full equalizer, its smaller than the iPod video, and with special firmware you can play Doom!

You remind me of one of those really nerdy guys who wear pocket protectors, thick glasses with a bandaid over the nosepiece holding the two sides together, and the requisite humongous adam's apple bobbling up and down as you talk. Yuck!

ceakins
01-13-2008, 07:09 PM
not to mention the huge amount of freeware available for the mac. it's just insane.

Most of that was on Linux first.

ceakins
01-13-2008, 07:10 PM
lol. the reactions are beyond funny.... particularly the "go microsoft" ones.

who cares? this has nothing to do w/ the comp.s or OS itself, and everything
to do w/ availability of movie rentals....

and who cares?

i didn't think people still payed for movies anyway, silly me i guess.

i'd call this murdoch's bad fo' sho

That's not the point, Apple needs to understand cause and affect. I'm just as happy, if not more so on Linux.

ceakins
01-13-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm keeping my Mac and I'll buy another one.

They make better computers.

I'm sure Steve Jobs isn't making his business decision based on Fox treatment of Ron Paul.

The Bit about Apple DRM is completely false. It's more closed than Microsoft's DRM, at least you can license and use it, you can't use fairplay.

Nicketas
01-13-2008, 07:28 PM

ceakins
01-13-2008, 07:50 PM
It comes down to, you either have a backbone or you don't.