PDA

View Full Version : Your Political Makeup

BuddyRey
01-13-2008, 12:06 AM
In an effort to dissect the political demographics here a bit more than the sometimes misleading labels "Republican", "Democrat", "Libertarian", etc., this poll will ask deeper questions to get a more nuanced picture of the members who make up the community here.

Richandler
01-13-2008, 12:46 AM
Wasn't it Paul himself who said that you can only have both freedom of moral and economic choice or neither.

Cleaner44
01-13-2008, 12:53 AM
I am libertarian but I don't wear makeup.

GoApe4RonPaul2008
01-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Other/None of the Above (explain in post)

Im a right wing conservative.. but I am a very strong supporter of the U.S. Constitution. I want secure boarders... all the illegals out. And basically everything that Paul states.. Let the states decide more things.. no more dept of education. And I love the bill of rights.

If its not constitutional.... vote no.

Fox McCloud
01-13-2008, 02:00 AM
I'm a pro-life Libertarian....still, that said, there's a few things that I'd vote yes/no for at the State level that wouldn't be very Libertarian....but all in all, I'd be Libertarian there too.

So, I guess you could call me a paleoLibertarian (ultra Libertarian at the Federal level, but slightly more socially conservative at the State level). IIRC Dr. Paul himself is a paleoLibertarian.

amy31416
01-13-2008, 05:52 AM
I am libertarian but I don't wear makeup.

That's not what I heard.

kushaze
01-13-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm a pro-life Libertarian....still, that said, there's a few things that I'd vote yes/no for at the State level that wouldn't be very Libertarian....but all in all, I'd be Libertarian there too.

So, I guess you could call me a paleoLibertarian (ultra Libertarian at the Federal level, but slightly more socially conservative at the State level). IIRC Dr. Paul himself is a paleoLibertarian.

I think I am the same way as the quote above, because I am pro-life (at the state level).

Xenophage
01-13-2008, 06:10 AM
Results are what I expected lol. What else do you expect from Paul supporters? Overwhelmingly libertarian.

I'd like to know *why* so many of you are libertarian though. Libertarians come from all sorts of religious and educational backgrounds. Some are J.S. Mill Utilitarians, some are Christians that believe in limited Government for reasons expressed in the Bible, some are strictly Austrian economists, some are strictly Constitutionalists...

I'm politically a libertarian because I'm philosophically an Objectivist.

That's right... a Randroid in your midst!

Dave Pedersen
01-13-2008, 06:33 AM
Economically very conservative.

I think there should be a limit to the size of corporations. They become too powerful and skew the interface between the government and the people. They should have no capacity to lobby congress. None whatsoever. This is one reason people have given up on their responsibilities, perhaps the main reason. How can we as individuals compete with corporate lobbyists?

Socially I am very pro life. Each of us could have been aborted but by the winds we were not.

I am very pro drug legalization simply because of the effect the drug war has on our law enforcement policies, forcing them to press against our constitutional rights at every opportunity making law enforcement officers the enemy of their own oaths.

I am against the recognition of same sex marriage. I think a child raised by two parents of the same sex is totally irresponsible.

I am a strong proponent of environmental protections. We should consider ourselves to be stewards and not conquerors. Life is in our custody and we must respect it. The value of each and every species is inestimable and their preservation trumps all economic concerns.

So quite a mixed bag on the social side.

We are all associated by the slimmest of crossroads: the internet. Our imagined relationships amount to little beyond the scope of the time we spend in front of our monitor. The results of these ever so tenuous relationships can and do have a lasting effect on our perspectives and for those effects which I have gained here I thank you.

shasshas
01-13-2008, 06:35 AM
i'm a religious nutjob ante-biblical mormon cataclysmicist Asura worshipping pagan priestess who believes the world is flat and that satan lives in my closet.

politics really is small beer for me.

truelies
01-13-2008, 07:04 AM
the labels employed here are extremely vague and useless

jeffersonT
01-13-2008, 08:43 AM
I voted social liberal, economic right-wing...but I have little problem with any of Paul's social views. That is, I don't have a staunch pro-choice or pro-life position on abortion; nor do I think it necessary to marry gay people, though I don't think homosexuality is a sin (I don't even like the idea of 'sin' in the Christian sense); etc. I consider these rational views, free of rabid extremes on either side (both driven by a sort of irrationality). (Many pro-choicers view pro-life individuals as either monsters or idiots: they need to realize that this view has been held by intelligent non-believers; see James Joyce for instance. Gay rights activists really need to take a look at the history of the concept of marriage, and the etymological and cultural use of the word.)

I'm mostly drawn to Paul on foreign policy and economics. These two are unalterably part of the same story.

He's also the only politician I'm aware of presently that has even the residue of the kind of intellectualism and dignity that a Jefferson or Adams or Van Buren had.

tfelice
01-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Socially & economically conservative, but I believe in the rule of law - i.e. the Constitution is the guide on Federal matters, and a state's Constitution should be the guide on state matters. So for example, I believe a local school board should be able to decide whether or not they wish to have a Bible class or morning prayer. I would best use the term paleoconservative to describe my views.

I also believe that libertarianism, as it is being held to these days, can only succeed in a generally moral society, which we no longer have in this country due to decades of social engineering experimentation by the left.

Kingfisher
01-13-2008, 10:38 AM
You fergot to inklude plum iggorant.

LibertyEagle
01-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Socially & economically conservative, but I believe in the rule of law - i.e. the Constitution is the guide on Federal matters, and a state's Constitution should be the guide on state matters. So for example, I believe a local school board should be able to decide whether or not they wish to have a Bible class or morning prayer. I would best use the term paleoconservative to describe my views.

I take issue with the term "social conservative". Because it seems that most people who call themselves that, are quite willing to use big government force to cram their agenda down everyone else's throats. Which makes them no different than the leftists on the other side of the aisle that they so despise. They only differ in what they are wanting to use big government to cram down the citizenry's throats.

There is a reason why Barry Goldwater, Sr. said he wanted to kick Jerry Falwell in the backside. ;)