PDA

View Full Version : POLL: How to bridge Internet technology to the TV news public!!

fight4liberty
01-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Let me first recap what we know for sure at this stage of the campaign:

In the first phase of the campaign Ron Paul’s message spread like wildfire on the Intenet (primarily through YouTube) and brought us all together to form an army of die hard RP supporters. (I’m not talking here about those of us who already knew about RP before he announced he was running for president.)

Then we distinguished ourselves by pulling off the two record breaking money bombs culminating in the eye popping near $20 mil 4th quarter donations which got big time media attention.

We then entered, and are still continuing in, the next phase which basically involves translating our huge numbers on the Internet into votes in the primaries and caucuses.

This phase has a few significant barriers that the first phase did not have. For starters the vast majority of the voters to be reached with RP’s message do not have a connection to or do not use the Internet very much, but rather they rely almost exclusively on TV and the Old Media to get their news.

And second the Old Media employs various methods to prevent RP’s message from getting out to the public. (And, of course, the TV public isn’t even aware that this is happening. Compare this to the completely open and free wheeling access we all had on the Internet to discover RP and his message - yuk.)

Another of the methods the Old Media uses to stop RP’s message is the way they control the debates by giving him less time to speak and by giving him questions designed to distract him from his message. Unfortunately his message takes a lot more than the 8 or 9 minutes they typically give him.

And the only other major method of reaching the public is by TV advertising and they make it very expensive for even a 30 or 60 second ad so besides the high cost there is just no way that Ron can even begin to give the public enough information to understand his various “contraversial” positions.

So the strangle hold the Old Media has on the flow of information about RP has radically limited the public’s knowledge of his message so it is no wonder that so many people perceive him as too “extreme” or “radical” or a “kook”, etc. If the public doesn’t have enough information about why he takes these positions, what else can we expect?

Consider this, if someone came up to you, before you had gotten in depth knowledge about Ron Paul’s philosophy and positions, and he said, “There’s this guy running for president that wants to abolish the IRS and the income tax and the Dept of Education and the Environmental Protection Agency and the Dept of Home Land Security" , what would you have thought? Same as most people I would bet.

So there has been a very major change from the first phase to this second phase. The average TV public person doesn’t have a way to get in depth knowledge of RP like we did. That’s really the simplicity of it. And so far we haven’t figured out a way to provide the TV public in volume the knowledge they need to really understand RP and his message. Of course, we are making progress, but is there more we can do?

Like many of you I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get around this Old Media black out and yesterday it hit me if we can’t bring them to the Internet/YouTube bring the “Internet” to them. OK, so what do I mean?

As I noted earlier most of us got our in depth knowledge from YouTube videos, right? So, you can put a lot of video footage on a DVD. And if we put the main information they need to know on DVDs and get it widely distributed they can discover what we all found out and become die hard RP supporters, too!

Of course, a few grass roots people have already put together some DVD’s and these are being given to MeetUp groups to be handed out by precinct canvassers and this is definitely a good action and will be continued. But is there another way to distribute them that would really get the volume up to the level it needs to be?

The official campaign must run TV commercials anyway, right? So, what if they added a line at the bottom of the TV screen that said:

“FREE DVD – Call 1-877- RonPaul or RonPaul2008.com”

Cool, huh? Of course, they would have to hire a professional call center to handle the high volume of incoming calls and to ship the free DVDs but the cost is usually per DVD ordered and shipped so it would be well worth it particularly because the people reaching to order it would by and large be “undecideds”. And each DVD would probably be viewed by others in the family or by friends as well.

And it could be done on a trial basis so that if there wasn’t enough volume of people ordering the DVD it could be discontinued.

And if the official campaign didn’t want to do it then if the grass roots people like the idea we can use a grass roots TV ad (like eLIB3RTY’s new commercial!) and run it ourselves!

So, rather than post another thread that expresses a new idea that never goes anywhere, I've made this a POLLING THREAD.

Thanks!

hopeful
01-13-2008, 12:10 AM
What we are trying to do if you think of it , is basically sell something. and that happens to be Dr. Ron Paul. Saying that, we all heard the axiom "he could sell you the Brooklyn bridge". Most of us can recite to potential voters the platform of RP, but can we sell that ? there is a difference.
I truly believe a professionally made DVD is the way to go. Either delivered by mail or by door to door or both. BUT we have to get the attention of the people we are canvassing, or to put it another way, to perk enough interest so they will actually watch it and not leave on a table somewhere, or THROWN in the garbage ! Just a simple sentence or note like "wait to you see what Dr. Ron Paul has to say about taxes in the video". then perhaps we perked their interest enough to actually pop it in a player...................all IMHO

fight4liberty
01-13-2008, 12:20 AM
...is that the person watching the TV would be calling the toll free number to get the free DVD and so would presumably have enough interest in it when it arrived in the mail that he/she would play it. :)

RSLudlum
01-13-2008, 12:23 AM
most importantly, it would get them on the phone talking directly to a supporter!

justinc.1089
01-13-2008, 12:24 AM
This is pure brilliance and genious. Is your IQ like 200?

I mean I know like all RP supporters have IQ's at like 115 or 120 probably lol, and we didn't think of this for like forever......

That would be interesting to see if our IQ's are a bit higher than average altogether because I almost know they are. I don't mean to brag but I have a high IQ lol..... and its nice to hang around RP supporters because that means no annoying stupid people.:D

I LOVE this idea though. Who would turn down a free dvd?

The problem with this is funding the project lol!

hopeful
01-13-2008, 12:28 AM
...is that the person watching the TV would be calling the toll free number to get the free DVD and so would presumably have enough interest in it when it arrived in the mail that he/she would play it. :)

yes I AGREE. Interest has already been created if they are going to take the time to call.

hopeful
01-13-2008, 12:34 AM
Bump

hopeful
01-13-2008, 12:43 AM
I think we can all agree there are some good videos on utube. How we go about picking one or more ,I don't know. Also the funding was mentioned. I also would be concerned about time to implement this from start to finish. ANY FEEDBACK? THOUGHTS?

I've done some public canvassing here in the New England area, and to my disbelief, when I mention Ron Paul, I get the reply more often than not.....WHO ? sad,nonetheless true

hopeful
01-13-2008, 12:44 AM
bump

N13
01-13-2008, 12:57 AM
What about people who do not own DVD players?

VHS anyone? lol

THe big question is this: From their point of view, you are asking them to watch a big commercial. If you are not already a big RP supporter, how attractive is this? The average person is not that enthusiastic about politics. As soon as they see a detailed segment on monetary policy 99% of viewers are hitting the stop and eject button.

hopeful
01-13-2008, 01:11 AM

VHS anyone? lol

THe big question is this: From their point of view, you are asking them to watch a big commercial. If you are not already a big RP supporter, how attractive is this? The average person is not that enthusiastic about politics. As soon as they see a detailed segment on monetary policy 99% of viewers are hitting the stop and eject button.

ENTHUSIASTIC ? Hell 50 % are not INTERESTED ! THEN WHEN YOU ASK THEM WHY THEY ARE CONSIDERING SOMEONE IN PARTICULAR, YOU MIGHT GET THE RESPONSE"Well he/she can bring change " or "they will cut taxes "

Myerz
01-13-2008, 01:19 AM

VHS anyone? lol

Not very cost effective..... terrible distribution factors.

Also, get that FREE DVD Phone # on a banner flying behind the Ron Paul Air Corp!

Get it on the BLIMP......Change the "WHO is Ron Paul" Google Ron Paul to FREE DVD info and Phone #!

WE NEED TO DO THIS NOW!

mdevour
01-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Interesting idea.

As for the complex message, that's a question of designing the presentation right. If given a chance to think about it, I'm sure a way can be found to present each issue in an understandable way. It's a matter of choosing the right analogies and words to use. Don't make it complex, make it understandable. If you can't make a point understandable without grossly distorting it, leave it out.

Another matter: The only way I can think to abuse or sabotage the effort is if the enemy sets up phone banks to order thousands of these DVD's to suck down the project's resources for no benefit. If the total cost to us for production, order taking, and S&H per DVD is several dollars, that can add up quickly to a big bill.

The obvious counter is to make sure the orders are going into a database system that flags any address or phone number that's ordering a suspicious number of copies, validates each address, and flags any suspicious activity for investigation...

Or just wing it! :D

I like the fact that it requires them to do something to pre-select themselves... It's got possibilities.

For Liberty!

Mike D.

RSLudlum
01-13-2008, 01:50 AM
Head-On style!!! Just Flash free DVD and Phone # with out any connection to the campaign...Low production cost! :)

hopeful
01-13-2008, 02:08 AM
can this thread can be moved to say"campaign suggestion box" or some thread relevant Here in "grassroots" it will be gone quickly, never to be seen again. i don't know how to do this....thanks