PDA

View Full Version : Article on Ron Paul supporter denied Free Speech rights on Public Property

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Our meetup organizer was kicked off public property twice while handing out RP literature here in NW Indiana.

Here's an article written up in our local paper:

http://www.post-trib.com/news/480937,ronpaul.article

njandrewg
07-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Step 1: Contact the police department and file a complaint about the cop
Step 2: If its ignored and he is bothered again, sue the police department

Should get some media attention that way

Thom1776
07-24-2007, 03:48 PM
He should have stood up to the cop.

Always have a second person with you armed with a video camera to capture moments like these. Usually, when pressed, the fascists will back down when they know they are on video.

Cops are sneaky in these situations. They will use the vague term "disorderly conduct" to arrest you. But if you assert your rights in a calm and orderly manner, it makes it difficult for them to bag you.

Ask them on whose authority they are acting to deny you your rights.

Don't let fascists win.

angelatc
07-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Also, contact the local chapter of the ACLU.

UCFGavin
07-24-2007, 03:50 PM
sucks man. definitely have someone there to back you up next time.

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Yep, for now on we're bringing cameras with for everything we do.

The good news is this story will probably reach more people than handy out literature alone. :P

BLS
07-24-2007, 03:54 PM
That's bunk. File a lawsuit.

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Yep, for now on we're bringing cameras with for everything we do.

The good news is this story will probably reach more people than handing out literature alone. :P

Dustancostine
07-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Did he get the name of the cop?

Another thing you can do when being pestered by the cops is ask for their name and badge number and then proceed to call their superior with you cell phone on the spot. This makes them think twice about pulling crap.

BravoSix
07-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Did he get the name of the cop?

Another thing you can do when being pestered by the cops is ask for their name and badge number and then proceed to call their superior with you cell phone on the spot. This makes them think twice about pulling crap.

Not always much of an option. As I've said before, I was a cop until recently. I often worked by myself in a small, rural town. Unless I somehow got stuck working day shift on Monday through Friday, there was no supervisor to call. Just me. :D

As for the issue of "Disorderly Conduct", that is exactly correct. You wouldn't believe some of the ridiculous situations I have seen that vague statute applied to.

buffalokid777
07-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Also, contact the local chapter of the ACLU.

Seems like the ACLU probably wouldn't be interested these days unless he was an illegal alien.

Johnnybags
07-24-2007, 04:26 PM
next time, tell him politely you have no problem with him but he is violating your civil rights and then continue doing what your doing, witnesses needed when he puts his hands on you. Then walk away a millionaire if he hits you(or causes distress). 3/4 of them do not even know the law.

Mom4Ron
07-24-2007, 04:59 PM
I do hope that y'all press this issue with the police department and the city attorney.

Thomas_Paine
07-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Definitely some great advise being left on the board, when confronting tyrants it always helps to have a video camera. As long as we are on Public Property we can peacefully assert our rights. By calmly explaining your rights (on video) and being arrested you send a BIG STATEMENT for Ron Paul and REVOLUTION! A right unasserted is deserted! A newspaper article with a title which reads, "Local Man Arrested for passing out political flyers" sounds better than "Free Speech Violated claims area man".

Mom4Ron
07-24-2007, 05:11 PM
If you guys go back out there again, you might notify the press in advance. Perhaps they'd be interested in documenting it.

Joe Knows
07-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Our meetup organizer was kicked off public property twice while handing out RP literature here in NW Indiana.

Here's an article written up in our local paper:

http://www.post-trib.com/news/480937,ronpaul.article

We had a problem with a meetup group handing out literature in Orlando Fl on the Fourth of July. We were told that no one could hand out literature, because Independence Day was not a political holiday. (Believe it or not, that's what they said.)

To make a long story short, our organizer Nick Egoroff contacted the Orlando Sentinel newspaper who in turn contacted the ACLU, who actually stepped in and helped out with the situation. Even after backing down and publicly stating that the city could not prohibit the literature at a public place, the police still tried to intimidate "George Washington" and prevent him from passing out Ron Paul pamphlets. A quick call to the ACLU and the news reporters kept the police at bay.

Our organizer is a great guy and I know that if you email Nick, he will give you all the information on the ACLU, etc. and share his experience.

You can see the pictures at
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/184/photos/

Nick Egoroff
Orlando Ron Paul 2008 Organizer
www.ronpaul2008.com/
www.ronpaul.meetup.com/184

SwordOfShannarah
07-24-2007, 06:21 PM
We had a problem with a meetup group handing out literature in Orlando Fl on the Fourth of July. We were told that no one could hand out literature, because Independence Day was not a political holiday. (Believe it or not, that's what they said.)

To make a long story short, our organizer Nick Egoroff contacted the Orlando Sentinel newspaper who in turn contacted the ACLU, who actually stepped in and helped out with the situation. Even after backing down and publicly stating that the city could not prohibit the literature at a public place, the police still tried to intimidate "George Washington" and prevent him from passing out Ron Paul pamphlets. A quick call to the ACLU and the news reporters kept the police at bay.

Our organizer is a great guy and I know that if you email Nick, he will give you all the information on the ACLU, etc. and share his experience.

You can see the pictures at
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/184/photos/

Nick Egoroff
Orlando Ron Paul 2008 Organizer
www.ronpaul2008.com/
www.ronpaul.meetup.com/184

The big question is.. why are they doing this?? Is this a directive? Is it the individual opinion of the officer in question (as in they don't like your candidate)?

I'd like to know what is at the root of this weird new power the police seem to think they have.

Santana28
07-24-2007, 08:06 PM
i'm almost positive that any type of police action by an individual officer is not brought on by selective discrimination towards Ron Paul... they probably dont even know who he is!

more likely someone has simply complained that "people are handing stuff out over there" and the cop is just trying to shoo you off, like they would anyone else. politics aren't any different then people hawking M&Ms really... the issue is pointing out that it is PUBLIC property you are standing on, and it is 100% LEGAL for you to do so, as long as you impede no one from going about their normal activities.

theres also the general apathetic/negative emotional response towards ANYTHING political... people have no idea that this is something completely 100% grassroots, and not a bunch of paid lackeys.

i'd stress to the officer that 1) this is public land, 2) you are an unpaid volunteer trying to spread a positive message of change, on your own time, and 3) you are not impeding anyone, harrassing anyone, or trying to be a nuisance to anyone.

if all else fails, go the media/city government/ACLU route. But DONT GIVE UP!!

nathanielyao
07-25-2007, 03:59 AM
bump

TheMikael
07-25-2007, 05:21 AM
bump

SwordOfShannarah
07-25-2007, 10:39 PM
i'm almost positive that any type of police action by an individual officer is not brought on by selective discrimination towards Ron Paul... they probably dont even know who he is!

more likely someone has simply complained that "people are handing stuff out over there" and the cop is just trying to shoo you off, like they would anyone else. politics aren't any different then people hawking M&Ms really... the issue is pointing out that it is PUBLIC property you are standing on, and it is 100% LEGAL for you to do so, as long as you impede no one from going about their normal activities.

theres also the general apathetic/negative emotional response towards ANYTHING political... people have no idea that this is something completely 100% grassroots, and not a bunch of paid lackeys.

i'd stress to the officer that 1) this is public land, 2) you are an unpaid volunteer trying to spread a positive message of change, on your own time, and 3) you are not impeding anyone, harrassing anyone, or trying to be a nuisance to anyone.

if all else fails, go the media/city government/ACLU route. But DONT GIVE UP!!

I realize I'm referencing a different situation with this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivn8PrZlAXo

but I think things have really changed and are continuing to change with our police forces. This isn't the first video I've seen of police attacking protesters for no reason. This kind of behavior cannot stand.

bygone
07-25-2007, 10:50 PM
this kind of thing is more common than you'd like to think

Man from La Mancha
07-25-2007, 11:36 PM
All swat teams should be disbanded