PDA

View Full Version : A fun and free activity suggestion for meetup groups

danda
07-24-2007, 02:52 PM
This letter is intended for meetup groups. I'm not sure what the best way is to address *all* the meetup groups, so I am posting this here in the hopes that you all will help me distribute it. If anyone knows a better channel, please post it here.

==============

Dear Ron Paul Meetup group leader or member,

I would like to suggest an easy and fun activity for your next gathering. All it requires is someone with a digital camera and a clipboard.

I am the author of the website rally.ronpaulplanet.org. This website is dedicated to hosting an online and ongoing rally that visually and powerfully demonstrates the wide-spread and diverse support that exists for Ron Paul's freedom message all across the country. It does this by means of an ever-growing photo mosaic showing thumbnail photos of each person, along with their message of support.

This is a 100% grass-roots effort to show support for Dr. Paul in a way that no political campaign has attempted before. A secondary goal of the site is to create the single largest human face mosaic on the internet - entirely of Ron Paul supporters!

I believe the website is working. I announced it on Saturday with a single forum posting, and just 3 days later over 450 enthusiastic individuals have uploaded photos and voiced their support for Dr. Paul. The original announcement message can be found at: http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=8295.

The image with 450+ people already looks impressive. However, I would like to see that number expand to 4500, then to 45,000, and beyond. Think of how awe-inspiring it would be to see pages and pages and pages and pages in all directions of people expressing their support for the good Doctor's cause.

Also, if we attract a serious amount of supporters to our "rally", then I believe that this has potential to generate additional positive press and attention for Dr. Paul, for free!. People love new and novel stuff, right?

Still, it can be hard to get the word out about a brand-new website like this. Also, several people have pointed out to me that not everyone has access to a digital camera, a computer, or the technical skills/desire to use them and upload their own photo.

So here's where you and your meetup group can have some fun.

I would suggest that someone in your group first explain about the rally website. It's probably best to have some printouts of the image on the website, my announcement letter, and this letter. Next, take a picture of each person who would like to participate, and then do one of two things:

1) Have a computer available at the meeting, and upload the photo and support message right then and there.

--- or ---

2) Ask each person to fill out a simple, paper form ( hence the clipboard! ) The form should be based on the online form available here: http://rally.ronpaulplanet.org/i_support_ron_too.php
( The simplest thing may be to just print out the online form. )

Then after the meeting a designated person (you?) can enter the photos and collected information into the website.

Great care must be taken when collecting the information to ensure you have each photo matched with the person's statements. Also, it would be best if each person signs the information sheet. We don't want to mis-represent anyone!

So that's it. The activity consists of:
1) Taking a photo of each person. ( perhaps station yourself at the door )
2) Collecting information ( carefully matched to the digital photos ).
3) Uploading it all.
4) Showing the new image to your meetup group, and spreading the word.

Okay. okay. So maybe collecting the info is not super-fun by itself, but I guarantee it will be fun to see your photos in there supporting Ron Paul with the rest of us, and especially showing that image to newcomers that are curious about Dr. Paul.

I started rally.ronpaulplanet.org Saturday standing all alone in my support for Dr. Paul. Mine was the only photo. It was lonely, and I just hoped others would join me. Now, 3 days later, there are over 450 people standing tall beside me. It feels good. Really good. I hope to see you and your meetup group members with us soon.

There's 20,000+ Ron Paul meetup members right? So we should be able to get a LOT of supporters in our rally! And that's just for starters.

A final note: I am making the content (images and text) of the website available for use by all Ron Paul supporters. This means that anyone is free to use the images to make T-Shirts, Signs, Posters, Video SlideShows, or whatever else you can think of, so long as it is supportive of Dr. Paul's campaign. So perhaps some additional meetup projects can come out of that.

A final, final note: For those concerned with privacy, please notice that the only required information is a photo, a message of support for Dr. Paul, and your state of residence.

Go Ron, Go!

Dan Libby

danda
07-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Update. I posted this to the message boards at ronpaul.meetup.com. I guess that is as good a place as any?

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3316232

BLS
07-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Wow..we've come a long way!

danda
07-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Wow..we've come a long way!

Yes indeed. and a long way to go. Please help me spread the word!