PDA

View Full Version : Registering as Republicans

AcidReign
07-24-2007, 01:23 PM
May be a little too early yet, but has anyone seen numbers about how many new voters are registering as Republicans vs. Democrats? Would be interesting to see if Republicans are keeping pace, while their top choice is "none of the above". If the GOP is keeping pace or outpacing the Dems, it could be a good sign for Dr. Paul. Of course, we wouldn't be able to confirm these are Ron Paul supporters, but it would be encouraging none the less.

More telling would be the voters that switch parties. With GOP discontent as high as it is, surely most of the Libertarians switching to Republican would be Ron Paul supporters. The same could be stated, to a lesser extent, of the Independents, Democrats and others who are switching.

These ideas are definitely worth exploring as the campaign progresses. I admit I haven't looked hard for this information, but if anyone knows where to find this data, please share your thoughts. It is too bad there aren't a group of people who are paid to think about, research, and report things like this. :D

Sematary
07-24-2007, 01:25 PM
May be a little too early yet, but has anyone seen numbers about how many new voters are registering as Republicans vs. Democrats? Would be interesting to see if Republicans are keeping pace, while their top choice is "none of the above". If the GOP is keeping pace or outpacing the Dems, it could be a good sign for Dr. Paul. Of course, we wouldn't be able to confirm these are Ron Paul supporters, but it would be encouraging none the less.

More telling would be the voters that switch parties. With GOP discontent as high as it is, surely most of the Libertarians switching to Republican would be Ron Paul supporters. The same could be stated, to a lesser extent, of the Independents, Democrats and others who are switching.

These ideas are definitely worth exploring as the campaign progresses. I admit I haven't looked hard for this information, but if anyone knows where to find this data, please share your thoughts. It is too bad there aren't a group of people who are paid to think about, research, and report things like this. :D

I don't know if there are any actual numbers available.

inibo
07-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I don't know if there are any actual numbers available.

Probably not yet, but if it goes the way I see it the local GOP people will notice it first and they aren't going to be turning away new Republicans even if they do support Dr. Paul. It think will will actually be a pretty good leading indicator once people start watching it.

BarryDonegan
07-24-2007, 04:04 PM
it would be tough for anyone to note that the party configuration is affected by Ron Paul new members until after he does well in the primary. Before that the numbers are probably comparitively still shrinking ever since the "contract with america" crowd lost favor via the corruption of the Bush neocons