PDA

View Full Version : What's the best advice for Ron Paul?

Paul4Prez
01-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Vote in the poll, explain your answers here, or add ideas that I've missed.

christagious
01-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Campaign manager. Just like how rock bands aren't going to get big without a good manager.

Does Ron Paul or the campaign read these forums though? Is this useful at all?

Tarabell952
01-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Hire a manager, someone who knows what they're doing. Ron Paul's message appeals to everyone. It wouldn't be that hard to get people to vote for him if they heard it.

I think he needs more TV ads. He's been blacked out by the media. So run an onsluaght of ads! People would consider him less fringe if they heard about him constantly. It doesn't matter if its from TV ads or the media. People don't remember where they heard the name. As long as they hear it enough, they will consider the candidate viable.

Suzu
01-12-2008, 01:01 AM
You need to add "All of the above" to the poll!

Liberty Star
01-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Some ideas:

- Appoint a grassroots coordinator/liaison ( already done :) ) - Check

- Review Official Campaign organization and expand/supplement/overhaul it to ensure to have a top notch org that actively engages with media and prospective voters with a consistent message

- Have ads that are consistent with RP message, better quality and content

- Improve coordination with grassroots, recruit talent from grassroots if needed

- Be as aggressive as RP was in last SC debate, they respect you more when you fight back

- Message of Change and Hope works, Fear message candidates are dropping out. Highlight message of change and hope and Iraq war/economy/liberties

- Constantly review grassroots created campaigning materials and put up quality, selected material ( print brochures, youtube vid ads etc) on some special server for all to access/download and print from a single point

austin356
01-12-2008, 01:29 AM
FIRE YOUR FRIENDS GOOD DOCTOR!!!!

I think Dr. Paul's loyalty to his hundreds of thousands of supporters comes before his quarter century friendship with Kent.

Gadsdenfly
01-12-2008, 02:00 AM
Send in the pros. (that are not clowns)

Conza88
01-12-2008, 02:55 AM
Don't change a thing.

Ron Paul fken kicks ass...

PEOPLE NEED TO HEAR THE MESSAGE, AND WHEN THEY DO - THEY CONVERT.

BIG CAMPAIGN MANAGER?
- IS it a prerequsite that he supports Ron Paul?
- THat he is genuine?
- That he isn't bought?

fuck that shit. RP FTW

LSUiLike
01-12-2008, 05:04 AM
I think Ron Paul needs to do a better job of telling the common folks why he is a better candidate for them than the other guys are. He is being painted as soft on terrorism and a blame-America first guy. His domestic plans are considered undoable - eliminating the IRS is a noble pursuit, but I think that's such a big jump from our current situation that it scares people away from Paul. He needs to explain how he'd work toward those goals without specifically mentioning cutting all those institutions.

Paul could have a less radical message that would scare those afraid of change less. He doesn't have to compromise what he stands for, but most people are afraid of radical change.

Paul also needs to explain how the other candidates just don't get it and how what they propose will bring our to its knees. He doesn't do a good enough job challenging his opponent's positions. People would probably get it more if he brought the fight to the other guys. He doesn't have to be ugly, just direct.

Mike S.
01-12-2008, 06:47 AM
Make the message more mainstream.

There is generally one issue that keeps many folks from getting on board. I don't know how many friends have told me "I like a lot of his ideas but...". Rephrase his issue statements to not sound as scary to some folks. I see that this has essentially been done on the web site. But Ron Paul himself needs to phrase things this way when before the press or in debates. Saying or agreeing with statements like "Abolish the Federal Income Tax" on Meet The Press - Here is the transcript:

MR. RUSSERT: Let's start right at the very top, the issues. This is what you have been saying on the campaign stump, "I'd like to get rid of the IRS. I want to get rid of the income tax." Abolish it.

REP. PAUL: That's a good idea. I like that idea.

Viewers think to themselves: Our federal highways will close, our defense will not be funded, etc.

PAUL's response should have been more like "What I mean by that is to reduce federal spending to the point where the IRS is hardly even needed"

I was speaking to a normally very quiet friend of my wife about Ron Paul's foreign non-intervention policy and she started screaming at me that another Hitler would come to power. She sees Ron Paul base closure policy as a threat - she was raised in Austria and knows all about the Hitlers of the world. So can Ron Paul change his stand on this? No. But he could rephrase it by including an assurance that the U.S. WOULD come to the aid of any or our allies being invaded. We would wouldn't we? Even under RP, if Great Britain were being invaded, we would certainly come to their aid. So why not include that in the platform? Also, stress that America NEEDS a strong military for it's own protection and we can use all the money saved by bringing our troops home to help keep our military strong and up to date - this would bring in a LOT of folks scared that RP will weaken our defense.

Until these types of modifications are made, expect 5-9% of Americans to vote for him. Even with these modifications, he needs top-notch campaign management to win an election - addressed by the #1 choice in this poll. The modifications will bring in the Americans (besides Paulites) that pay attention and could get him up to possibly 20%. The top-notch campaign management will bring in many of the folks that don't pay attention.

FreeTraveler
01-12-2008, 07:06 AM
"Run the campaign the way YOU want. You've done this a lot more times than any of us, and you're a consistent winner. Feel free to tell the grassroots folks who think they know it all to STFU and go be precinct captains."

SeanEdwards
01-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Chuck the racists and nutters under a bus.

dianeh
01-12-2008, 12:01 PM
"Run the campaign the way YOU want. You've done this a lot more times than any of us, and you're a consistent winner. Feel free to tell the grassroots folks who think they know it all to STFU and go be precinct captains."

Agreed, BUT--- he needs more expert help; the other guys aren't playing fair at all. (no surprise) This is way more big time than anything he has ever done--he has a real chance to win and needs all the help he can get. Just look at the advisors the other candidates have:

http://tobefree.wordpress.com/2008/01/11/skousen-election-manipulation-in-full-swing/

Paul4Prez
01-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Any big-time campaign managers still out there that he could hire who would be friendly and trustworthy?

Drknows
01-12-2008, 02:45 PM
To the people who voted these

Hire an image consultant and speaking coach.

I shake my head.

If Ron Paul ever came out looking and talking like Mitt Romney i think i would go puke and then go scrape his name off my car.

* you would think everyone would vote Improve communications with grassroots. (if they really wanted to be heard)

MayTheRonBeWithYou
01-12-2008, 02:47 PM
New manager and better ads.

ErikBlack
01-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Hire a speech coach and political consultant who can help him rehearse every answer to likely questions and present them calmly, forcefully, and in a way so that even a 12 year old child could understand it.

Here is how I would do it. Obviously I'm no political genius so I'm sure an expert could help Dr. Paul present these issues in an even more appealing and easy to understand light. But I think that even my amateur attempt beats out the philosophical, stream of consciousness rants we are used to.

THE WAR IN IRAQ:

The war in Iraq was started under false pretenses and has been an unmitigated disaster. 70% of the American people now want out of the war. I will honor the wishes of the American people and bring our troops home immediately.

THE ECONOMY & INFLATION:

The federal government spends more money each year than it takes in through taxes. The difference has to be borrowed from foreign countries and the Federal Reserve who prints money out of thin air so government can spend it. This is the root cause of economic inflation, recession and depression. I will prevent a recession by reducing federal spending, reducing taxes, balancing the budget and steering this country away from bankruptcy. More money in the pockets of the American people and American businesses and less money in government and special interest coffers will contribute to a thriving economy.

ELECT ABILITY

I believe in free markets, a non-interventionist foreign policy, small government, less taxation and personal liberty. These are traditional Republican positions. In recent years the Republican party has changed its platform. I intend to return us to the principles upon which this party was founded and be a servant of the people, not the neo-conservative special interest groups who have hijacked the Republican party.

SOCIAL SECURITY & MEDICARE

The country is in deep financial trouble. Our financial obligations far exceed our income and we don't have enough money to meet our obligations to seniors. I will immediately end American military involvement overseas and bring our troops home, saving hundreds of billions of dollars, which I will use to pay benefits for those who have become dependent. No-one will be put out on the street. At the same time I will allow young people to opt out of a system that is guaranteed never to provide for them in retirement.

IMMIGRATION

Immigration must be dealt with on two fronts. We must physically prevent illegal aliens from crossing our borders and we must remove the incentive for them to try. I will bring all of our troops home from every country of the world and put a portion of them to work policing the border. As a disincentive to come here in the first place we will no longer offer free medical care, education or welfare to illegal aliens. We will no longer allow American businesses to employ illegal aliens at sub-standard wages which costs our citizens their jobs and causes resentment toward them.

FOREIGN POLICY

I am running for president of the United States of America, not president of the world. My number one priority is to restore liberty, prosperity and peace here at home. As president I will not act as the world's policeman or the world's babysitter. I will invite all nations of the world to engage in free trade and travel with the United States but we will remain neutral in all conflicts which do not directly involve our national security.

NATIONAL DEFENSE

America is the greatest military power in the world. We are surrounded on the east and west by two vast oceans and bordered on the north and south by friendly, westernized nations. America is in a better position than any other nation in the world to defend herself from aggressive attacks. There is no need for us to engage in national offense and pre-emptive war to protect our citizens. The resources we waste policing and bullying the world can be better spent here at home, ensuring that we build an even stronger national defense.

Paul4Prez
01-12-2008, 03:00 PM
The war in Iraq was started under false pretenses and has been an unmitigated disaster. 70% of the American people now want out of the war. I will honor the wishes of the American people and bring our troops home immediately.

That works for me.

amy31416
01-12-2008, 03:30 PM

There is generally one issue that keeps many folks from getting on board. I don't know how many friends have told me "I like a lot of his ideas but...". Rephrase his issue statements to not sound as scary to some folks. I see that this has essentially been done on the web site. But Ron Paul himself needs to phrase things this way when before the press or in debates. Saying or agreeing with statements like "Abolish the Federal Income Tax" on Meet The Press - Here is the transcript:

MR. RUSSERT: Let's start right at the very top, the issues. This is what you have been saying on the campaign stump, "I'd like to get rid of the IRS. I want to get rid of the income tax." Abolish it.

REP. PAUL: That's a good idea. I like that idea.

Viewers think to themselves: Our federal highways will close, our defense will not be funded, etc.

PAUL's response should have been more like "What I mean by that is to reduce federal spending to the point where the IRS is hardly even needed"

I was speaking to a normally very quiet friend of my wife about Ron Paul's foreign non-intervention policy and she started screaming at me that another Hitler would come to power. She sees Ron Paul base closure policy as a threat - she was raised in Austria and knows all about the Hitlers of the world. So can Ron Paul change his stand on this? No. But he could rephrase it by including an assurance that the U.S. WOULD come to the aid of any or our allies being invaded. We would wouldn't we? Even under RP, if Great Britain were being invaded, we would certainly come to their aid. So why not include that in the platform? Also, stress that America NEEDS a strong military for it's own protection and we can use all the money saved by bringing our troops home to help keep our military strong and up to date - this would bring in a LOT of folks scared that RP will weaken our defense.

Until these types of modifications are made, expect 5-9% of Americans to vote for him. Even with these modifications, he needs top-notch campaign management to win an election - addressed by the #1 choice in this poll. The modifications will bring in the Americans (besides Paulites) that pay attention and could get him up to possibly 20%. The top-notch campaign management will bring in many of the folks that don't pay attention.

I voted for better communications with the grassroots, but you've made a very strong point here. These are important topics that absolutely need clarity. I fully believe that RP would, as president, defend our allies (with a declared war, of course) but he doesn't come right out and say that.

Most all of his focus is on the US right now, and I understand the reasoning, but his position on foreign policy and our allies could be clearer.

So campaign management and clarity to the mainstream would be tremendously helpful.

You can help personally also, by becoming a precinct captain and making sure that his positions are well understood.

libertyguy
01-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Ron Paul is at his very best when attacked. It is then that he shows his righteous indignation and comes up with his best material. I would like to see him with that kind of fire more often. He is fighting for the little guy, but he needs to be less the statesman at times and more the attack dog. Attack those robbers, pillagers, and thieves who have stolen our good name abroad and our money and freedom at home!!! They have robbed us blind and now need to be kicked out of Washington (kind of material)

rpfan2008
01-12-2008, 03:44 PM
A small piece of advice to replace a few words/phrases with equivalents..

1. Federal Reserve = Private Federal Reserve
2. Gold Std = Govt. issued Gold backed currency
3. NEOCONS = War Profiteers / Pro War Lobby

PC_for_Paul
01-12-2008, 04:02 PM
A small piece of advice to replace a few words/phrases with equivalents..

1. Federal Reserve = Private Federal Reserve
2. Gold Std = Govt. issued Gold backed currency
3. NEOCONS = War Profiteers / Pro War Lobby

How about these:

1. Federal Reserve= Private Bank, nothing Federal about (no congressional oversight)
2.gold standard= (I think he has that one "competing currencies")

3. I got no complaints with that one.

We may want to help with "sound bites"

Compile the sound bites into "talking points"

When the media tries to get him off message go to the sound bites and hit all the talking points.

Go after the other candidates who try to "steal" issues.
Huckabee= stealing our tax plan, too bad he won't do it.
McCain=Talks about some of our economic issues, too bad he doesn't know anything about it.
Thompson= stealing our position on immigration just like McCain and Goohliani.

Of course a seasoned campaign manager and most of these things are underway yesterday.

jrich4rpaul
01-12-2008, 04:06 PM
A big-time campaign manager? Oh, you mean a corrupt one? That'll be better than an inept one.

WRellim
01-12-2008, 05:13 PM
FIRE YOUR FRIENDS GOOD DOCTOR!!!!

I think Dr. Paul's loyalty to his hundreds of thousands of supporters comes before his quarter century friendship with Kent.

Why should I try to fire my friend's doctor, especially if he is a good doctor?:D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, I'm not certain it is just Kent who should be fired. After all it is the Lewbot who is technically the "campaign manager" -- the Kentdoll is the "chairman" of the committee. Plus there seem to be several nepotism hires on staff as well who are major sources of problems... but hey, apparently that's just Texas-style politics you know.

WRellim
01-12-2008, 05:14 PM
A big-time campaign manager? Oh, you mean a corrupt one? That'll be better than an inept one.

What makes you think that the inept one we have isn't also corrupt?

A lot of times the best way to cover corruption is with incompetence (it makes a really good cover).

grizzums
01-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Hold a press conference...and here's and idea, actually inform the press of it. Face those newletters head on.....be prepared to "out" the writers, friends or not....quit the "I was ignorant" talking point........fess up. Face the music. Then talk about the real racism going on in this campaign season.....the blatanat rascism by the other warmongers against muslums, by putting them all in one collective box. Talk about the pardoning of all non violent drug offenders and how unbeleivably unfair the current system is towards blacks. Use talking points like he did in the Moyer interview about how Libertarianism is in and of itself against rascism in any form. Rascism is about collectivism which is complete a 180 from Libertarianism principals. Face the music!!!! Take this issue on, HEAD ON, in front of a big press core. Accept moral responsibility! Vow to find out who wrote what and vow to expose them! Say, you will get to the bottom of this, because this is not what you are about, as we all know. That simple "I don't know who wrote that stuff "press release will not do! This will contuinue to follow unless it is seriously faced! Stand up Dr. Paul! Own up! Find the responsible parties and for goodness sakes.....EXPOSE THEM!

And then for crying out loud......spend a chunchk of the money your supporters have given you abnd hire a GODDAM professional to to manage your campaign! This thing is going to go down the toilet, otherwise......CONFRONT!, EXPOSE, FIRE AND HIRE! PERIOD!

Then I'll donate again!

Im out!

coffeewithchess
01-12-2008, 05:36 PM

I was thinking the same thing...but chose speech coach.

freestyl24
01-12-2008, 06:03 PM
<>

Nicketas
01-12-2008, 06:17 PM
xxx

Nicketas
01-12-2008, 06:18 PM
xxxx

tnjonline
01-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Dr Paul,

..... I have some observations which might be useful for you as you try to make the best use of this opportunity (media appearances).

1. It often appears to me that you try to convince the interviewer. Because you try to convince, your answers always include your positions as well as their justifications. That is one goal too many for the limited airtime that you get. You also tend to state the premises first and then the conclusions. This is the basic format of a logical discussion, but, that does not work anymore. The reasons that does not work are:

a. There is a huge difference between the attention span of your generation and the current one. It has shortened considerably.
b. Years of standardized didactics have taught people to think in ‘points’ or ‘bullets’, not in paragraphs.
c. People have become used to hearing the conclusion first followed by points in favor of the conclusion.

I suggest that first of all, you should get away from trying to convince anyone, and definitely not the interviewer (for e.g. the abortion discussion on ‘the view’). The interviewer’s question should be used as a cue to speak to the audience.

Next, the audience cannot be convinced in a 30 seconds or even 10 minutes. The audience can though be informed and attracted. To do that you should only state your conclusions/positions in response to the first question. You can then give the justification in the form of points in favor if you are asked a follow up question.

--------------------------
I would also encourage all the readers of this post t visit this thread on daily paul
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/24555?page=1

Dlynne
01-12-2008, 07:05 PM

:D Yes, please.

Dave Pedersen
01-12-2008, 07:16 PM
I voted for the image consultant/speaking coach. He also needs most of the other things listed but time is getting short and the poll only allowed one selection.

The main thing Ron needs to remember is to stay completely calm at all times and speak at a pace with which he is comfortable.

Voice:

Avoid the high pitched version always. Stay nap of the Earth in timber and tone.

Manner:

The pen in hand fist shaking toward the audience or the moderator looks like scolding and there needs to be a directional change with that. Shake your fist at the Moon but never at the audience. A scolded audience reinforces the idea of blaming America.

Paul4Prez
01-13-2008, 01:31 AM
I liked the pen in hand scolding of McCain, and reminding the audience that McCain wants to condemn their children and grandchildren to 100 more years in Iraq.

lfrml
01-13-2008, 02:50 AM
I think Ron Paul should give a "Hope for America" speech, maybe on MLK day.
Similar to King's "I have a dream" speech.
Ron's dream for America.

A peaceful, non-interventionist foreign policy.
A government that protects the ultimate minority - the individual.
A country that chooses persuasion over coercion.

Ron usually talks about the bad things that happen when we don't follow the Constitution.
Flip the message around.
Talk about the good things that will happen if we follow the Constitution.

A positive, uplifting message of hope.
If it is a great speech, use the best bits for commercials.

austin356
01-13-2008, 04:28 AM
surprisingly strong showing for new manager. humm, interesting.

Conza88
01-13-2008, 06:06 AM
WOW - alot of idiotic BS here in my opinion. If you haven't noticed, we are RUNNING AGAINST THE SYSTEM. - Whenever anyone hears the message properly, and have a brain worth saving - they are welcomed to the revolution.

What we are doing atm, IS working - and its slow and steady - word of mouth, is still the best form of advertisement, so GET TALKING.

It took the FRENCH revolution 10 years, it took the American Revolution 8 Years... HOW LONG HAS THIS MOVEMENT BEEN AROUND? He's been running for 30 years, - the movement wasn't there for it back then, no internet so - stfu.

This thing has sprung up over night practically, GET SOME FKEN PERSPECTIVE.

Hire a big-time campaign manager, now. - One who supports Ron Paul? Good luck. That'd have to be a prerequisite right? Let's get one of Hillary's campaign managers she fired. She's got the biggest campaign, SO YEA!

Improve communications with grassroots. - It is actually illegal, thanks to MCCAIN. yea, look that shit up. AND the campaign can't say so, because it has his name on the bill. He'd sue, like the asshole he is.

Get better ads. - Granted, this is the only one I potentially agree with. Even then, "He's catching on, I'm tellin ya!"

Make more campaign appearances. - ROFL. Kidding right? The man lives for campaign appearances. He doesn't sleep, he's doing everything he damn well can to get elected. Preaching to the choir ain't gonna get him no extra votes is IT? He's efficient, and that ain't using his time wisely.

Hire an image consultant and speaking coach. - OMFG. DID GEORGE WASHINGTON NEED A SPEECH COACH? HOW ABOUT JEFFERSON or PAINE? Seriously, RP is what he is - because he DOESN"T HAVE ANY SPEECH COACHES & image consultants. FFS

Make the message more mainstream. - MAKE Liberty, Freedom, Peace, Prosperity and TRUTH more mainstream? ARE YOU FKEN JOKING?! It's not his fault the MSM is stacked against him, or the IGNORANCE of the MAINSTREAM public. He is doing the only thing possible, to EDUCATE THESE deadshits. Christ.. If you want him to be slick, like Obama?? - you want lies, thats what you want.

Don't change a thing. - For the win. Only 7 other people, know whats going down. Respect to those people. I wouldn't change Washington, I wouldn't change MLK, what other examples you want? The dude is a modern day founding father, and you want to change that? get a clue.

Cyclone
01-13-2008, 07:50 AM
None of the above. It is simple. Get the message out. 90% of all people have not heard Ron Paul's message. Of those that have heard it, 80% become supporters.

The ads they have are pitiful. None of them represents Ron Paul's main message.

How they get the message out properly and to the biggest number of people, well, I am not a political consultant so I don't presume to know. Were I in Ron Paul's place I would hire someone who did know.

freestyl24
01-13-2008, 11:45 PM
<>

libertyguy
01-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by ErikBlack
Hire a speech coach and political consultant who can help him rehearse every answer to likely questions and present them calmly, forcefully, and in a way so that even a 12 year old child could understand it.

Here is how I would do it. Obviously I'm no political genius so I'm sure an expert could help Dr. Paul present these issues in an even more appealing and easy to understand light. But I think that even my amateur attempt beats out the philosophical, stream of consciousness rants we are used to.

THE WAR IN IRAQ:

THE ECONOMY & INFLATION:

The federal government spends more money each year than it takes in through taxes. The difference has to be borrowed from foreign countries and the Federal Reserve who prints money out of thin air so government can spend it. This is the root cause of economic inflation, recession and depression. I will prevent a recession by reducing federal spending, reducing taxes, balancing the budget and steering this country away from bankruptcy. More money in the pockets of the American people and American businesses and less money in government and special interest coffers will contribute to a thriving economy.

ELECT ABILITY

I believe in free markets, a non-interventionist foreign policy, small government, less taxation and personal liberty. These are traditional Republican positions. In recent years the Republican party has changed its platform. I intend to return us to the principles upon which this party was founded and be a servant of the people, not the neo-conservative special interest groups who have hijacked the Republican party.

SOCIAL SECURITY & MEDICARE

The country is in deep financial trouble. Our financial obligations far exceed our income and we don't have enough money to meet our obligations to seniors. I will immediately end American military involvement overseas and bring our troops home, saving hundreds of billions of dollars, which I will use to pay benefits for those who have become dependent. No-one will be put out on the street. At the same time I will allow young people to opt out of a system that is guaranteed never to provide for them in retirement.

IMMIGRATION

Immigration must be dealt with on two fronts. We must physically prevent illegal aliens from crossing our borders and we must remove the incentive for them to try. I will bring all of our troops home from every country of the world and put a portion of them to work policing the border. As a disincentive to come here in the first place we will no longer offer free medical care, education or welfare to illegal aliens. We will no longer allow American businesses to employ illegal aliens at sub-standard wages which costs our citizens their jobs and causes resentment toward them.

FOREIGN POLICY

I am running for president of the United States of America, not president of the world. My number one priority is to restore liberty, prosperity and peace here at home. As president I will not act as the world's policeman or the world's babysitter. I will invite all nations of the world to engage in free trade and travel with the United States but we will remain neutral in all conflicts which do not directly involve our national security.

NATIONAL DEFENSE

America is the greatest military power in the world. We are surrounded on the east and west by two vast oceans and bordered on the north and south by friendly, westernized nations. America is in a better position than any other nation in the world to defend herself from aggressive attacks. There is no need for us to engage in national offense and pre-emptive war to protect our citizens. The resources we waste policing and bullying the world can be better spent here at home, ensuring that we build an even stronger national defense.

Excellent stuff here. To bad that this does not get in the hands of the campaign as it is brief enough to hit headlines in the debates. Sigh.....

freelance
01-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Oh GOD! Not again. Why are we repeating this exercise? What part of "the campaign is staying in the course (in stealth mode or whatever) are you all not getting?

RonRules
01-17-2008, 06:22 PM

So can Ron Paul change his stand on this? No. But he could rephrase it by including an assurance that the U.S. WOULD come to the aid of any or our allies being invaded. We would wouldn't we? Even under RP, if Great Britain were being invaded, we would certainly come to their aid. So why not include that in the platform? Also, stress that America NEEDS a strong military for it's own protection and we can use all the money saved by bringing our troops home to help keep our military strong and up to date - this would bring in a LOT of folks scared that RP will weaken our defense.

Totally agree here. Same for the very directs unsubstantiated slogans like "End the IRS", which cause more harm than good.

rexsolomon
01-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Create a group that are not fanboys or yes men.
When you can get that group to agree on an action plan, believe me you'll profit from executing on it.

evadmurd
01-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Run to win, or get out. Every other campaign has others massaging their speaking points all day long. We have nothing. Hire someone that knows how to win. I don't even care if it is Karl Rove, just hire someone that KNOWS what the hell they are doing.

That Karl Rove thing was a bit of hyperbole.

CaliforniaGold
01-17-2008, 06:27 PM
I love Ron Paul just the way he is and the gentle, decent underdog image is working for him
BUT
he needs some yard dogs to go out and fight for him with the media. All the other campaigns have attack dogs out there fighting and leaving the candidate to other more positive things.

Please get a tough NY style defender out there fighting for you and causing a scene!

Sandra
01-17-2008, 06:28 PM
There's a saying that you will know a candidate by who runs his campaign. The really good ones are slick because they're slimey.

rexsolomon
01-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Are you helping Bradley in DC with this? I hope so. It is essentially the same thread.

firebirdnation
01-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Need an all of the above option. The campaign needs an overhaul.

Phenom24
01-17-2008, 06:41 PM
ISSUE PRESS RELEASES ABOUT THE MARKET.

He's FREAKING DEAD ON AND NOT TALKING EVERY TIME THE MARKET TANKS.

MONEY gets people's attention, probably more than anything else.

Imagine a press release like:

"HOW CAN WE AFFORD A FOREIGN POLICY, ANY FOREIGN POLICY, WHEN OUR DOLLAR AND ECONOMY ARE SWIRLING DOWN THE DRAIN??????"

(sorry for the yelling - but it feels like I'm yelling in a tornado sometimes)

:)

parke
01-17-2008, 10:34 PM
The best advice I can think of?

Tell the supporters to start buying guns and ammo. Then make a run on DC, storm the capitol and demand our rights back, sound money and to bring our troops home. I find it disgusting that our leaders have polluted our country with socialist and fascist SHIT. Imagine storming DC just to get our rights back???? Isnt that insane? Having to fight for what our constitution grants us and our founders risked everything for.

Honestly, it looks like the only way America will be returned to her glory is if we arm ourselves and take it back. Dont forget, the Patriot Act stole our right to bear arms. We need another shot that will be heard around the world and aimed at the socialist piece of ****'s that are undermining our liberty.

Think its crazy? Imagine our dollar collapsing with no civil liberties. That will be much worse chaos.

The only thing I want is the liberty that my forefathers fought and died to give us. The government can grant no rights... The only thing government has a habit of doing is taking rights from us.

Im mad. This isnt the country I was taught I lived in as a child. Its turned into a police state. Thought Crimes Bill.. A new hike in gasoline tax??? 9 Trillion in debt??? At what point..

IS AMERICA GOING TO WAKE THE FUCK UP?

parke
01-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Bump

Gimme Some Truth
01-17-2008, 11:33 PM
The simple fact is Ron needs to tweak the way he delivers the message abit. What he's done so far is excellent and has gotten all of us on board. With this in mind we arnt the best people to ask this question.
The main reasons why more people arnt here is:

A) Name recognition

This is our challenge and duty. We need to be out there educating people.

B) Electibility

Again, the challenge is ours. The more people join us the more electibility he will have.

C) Lack of hope in his message

This is the bit where Ron does himself a diss-service. I hear alot from non-supporters that he is just an "angry old man" who "offers no hope" . Ron is brilliant at pointing out the problems of the US but rarely talks about the good of America and how returning to the constitution will improve it. He needs to paint a picture of his future vision for America in debates esp..

D) Soft on Terrorism / National Security

People think he is soft on terrorism. He rarely talks about how he will get Osama Bin Laden. Only on Youtube ,in 1 on 1 interviews, have I heard his policy on Al Qaeda. The general public needs to hear this more and why his way is the best way - no, the only way. He needs to do this in debates. The public need to hear it. They have been in a state of fear for years... just withdrawing from the Middle East wont stop terrorism .It will begin to bleed it dry tho. Too many people are already after revenge for losing their families under US bombs. These people need to be arrested or killed off covertly. Its sad but its the only way.

He also needs to emphasize that he would go to a foreign country's aid if the people -thro their Reps- want to. Again , only on Youtube have I seen him talk about this.

Ron LOL
01-17-2008, 11:41 PM
A bigtime campaign manager would handle all of the other options for Ron Paul. And that's why we need one.

jereome
01-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Whats the best idea for Ron Paul?

Focus on the constitution and stop mentioning things like his stance on the drug war, and his stance towards Israel.

Those two points alone has probably turned him off from most conservative voters, enough so that they would be willing to vote in a liberal like Huckabee or Mitt Romney over Ron Paul.

Then once he got in he could do what he wanted, with our foreign policy and the drug war.

ThreeFireflies
01-18-2008, 12:09 AM
That "Help America Vote" legislation was designed to eliminate meaningful elections.

therealjjj77
01-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Dr Paul,

..... I have some observations which might be useful for you as you try to make the best use of this opportunity (media appearances).

1. It often appears to me that you try to convince the interviewer. Because you try to convince, your answers always include your positions as well as their justifications. That is one goal too many for the limited airtime that you get. You also tend to state the premises first and then the conclusions. This is the basic format of a logical discussion, but, that does not work anymore. The reasons that does not work are:

a. There is a huge difference between the attention span of your generation and the current one. It has shortened considerably.
b. Years of standardized didactics have taught people to think in ‘points’ or ‘bullets’, not in paragraphs.
c. People have become used to hearing the conclusion first followed by points in favor of the conclusion.

I suggest that first of all, you should get away from trying to convince anyone, and definitely not the interviewer (for e.g. the abortion discussion on ‘the view’). The interviewer’s question should be used as a cue to speak to the audience.

Next, the audience cannot be convinced in a 30 seconds or even 10 minutes. The audience can though be informed and attracted. To do that you should only state your conclusions/positions in response to the first question. You can then give the justification in the form of points in favor if you are asked a follow up question.

--------------------------
I would also encourage all the readers of this post t visit this thread on daily paul
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/24555?page=1

Agreed. To add to that, there needs to be an emotional appeal to the audience. A question or statement that captivates their attention. And then the solution that follows.

"I believe that everyone deserves to have available good quality, affordable health care. Right now what we have is over-priced and poor quality health care. (Then tell a story.)
One thing the politicians won't tell your or hint at is that the more government gets involved in health care, the less affordable it gets and the worse the doctor patient relationship becomes. Can you guess why politicians don't want you to make this connection? You guessed it; because the drug companies and HMO companies that lobby the politicians don't want to lose their cartel on your health care!"
{Then go on and present a solution and facts to back it up and then conclude again with the emotional appeal.)