PDA

View Full Version : On a Street Corner

PaultheSaint
01-11-2008, 09:39 PM
(Post News Letters)

I live in a lively city with a great downtown, especially at night. Well I decided to get some Thai food and I noticed a dozen or so RP supporters downtown. So I race home, eat, get dressed for the cold drizzly weather and head downtown. Well I must have caught the tail end of it because I seen two supporters left heading to the parking lot.

Well hell, I'm there, I'll campaign a bit. So I pick the busy corner and raise my yard side high over my head. Not surprising I get the beeps, the hoo-hah’s and thumbs up. Quite a few but not nearly as many as I thought I would, but decent. I also got a lot of enquiries and walk by chit chat about RP. They see the sign and as they walk by you hear a conversation spark up. Talk to a few people, few who supported him back in 88 so that was interesting.

Overall a positive feedback but I did get heckled a few time. In the 2 hours I was out there I got the, "Republicans are warmongers, why you want to kill us", guy would not stop and talk lol and probably the worst was, in that 2 hours, I got 3(well four, 2 guys in one group), "why do you support a racist, homophobe bigot"(in a nut shell). Out of the 4, the two guys were the only one to take the time to chat about it. They said they were RP supporters until that came out, they now about his position but they said it hit hard, he had to know about it. Another one who commented on the newsletters drove by and asked me why I supported a racist. All I got out before they past was, "Awww, come on, you, know..." then they were to far. As they drove past I noticed a Hillary sticker in the back window. I had to hold myself from puking. lol

So I'm not sure how negative my 2 hours was but that was my feed back on this Friday night.

Spirit of '76
01-11-2008, 10:53 PM
There will always be hecklers and those who just don't get it. Don't let 'em get you down.

Keep fighting the good fight. :)

PaultheSaint
01-11-2008, 10:58 PM
There will always be hecklers and those who just don't get it. Don't let 'em get you down.

Keep fighting the good fight. :)

Thanks, yes this is the first time I ever did anything like that and when I walked up alone, to that corner, it took me to build some nerve up lol. But 5 minutes in, it was fun and educational. I highly encourage anyone who wants to do something like this but feels like they are to shy or timid to give it a go. It's not all that bad.

Spirit of '76
01-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Yep, it takes guts, but it's sooooo worth it.