PDA

View Full Version : Does Serj Tankien (system of a down) support Ron Paul?

Brad324
01-11-2008, 09:07 PM
I keep hearing a clip on the radio about an upcoming interview with Serj Tankian, and they say they'll talk about who he supports for president. And all I can hear him say is "I'd support him because he's the only one who voted against the war."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serj_Tankian

In his wikipedia article it says:

Two days after the attacks on September 11, 2001, Serj Tankian posted an essay on System of a Down's official website, which seemed controversial at the time. It was promptly taken down by Sony, the band's record label. Sony's opinion was that Tankian had tried to justify the terrorist attacks and that his claims were unfounded. Others have noted that Tankian's essay, which called the 9/11 attacks "brutal", explicitly stated that the need to understand the motivations of terrorists "does not mean that we should not find the guilty party(s)..and..try them [in court]" words cited to suggest "it is impossible to say that Serj tried to justify the 9/11 attacks" [2] in his essay, which "advocated peace and the research and development of alternate fuels" and went on to say that "By initiating peace, we would have already shaken the foundations of support for Bin Laden."

Additionally Noam Chomsky and others have pointed out that virtually no one has been charged with "trying to justify terrorism" upon suggesting that it's important to understand the motivations of someone like Timothy McVeigh, and that institutions as respectable as the Vatican, in response to 9-11, "called for reliance on the [investigative and other] measures appropriate to crimes, whatever their scale: if someone robs my house and I think I know who did it, I am not entitled to go after him with an assault rifle, meanwhile killing people randomly in his neighborhood." [3] The essay can be found here.

karenflower
01-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Omg I've been wondering this too!! He is somewhat of a political activist and a very, very intuitive and intelligent man.

I really hope he supports Ron!!! :)

Xonox
01-11-2008, 09:10 PM
There's a line from a system of a down song that goes "Now we Police the globe" that I always think of when Ron Paul talks about not policing the globe.

RPFP
It would be cool to have a pro Ron Paul concert with system of a down headlining. xonox, that song is prison song.

oldjersey
$20 says it is Dennis Kucinich

rollingpig
01-11-2008, 09:13 PM
i was thinking about the same thing!!

Think12345
01-11-2008, 09:16 PM
I think the'd support RP and will do a concert in CA if asked to.

xerigen
01-11-2008, 09:17 PM
I'd guess Kucinich. Ron Paul doesn't want to deal with the Armenian genocide a whole lot and Tankian is very concerned about that.

Xonox
01-11-2008, 09:18 PM
I think the'd support RP and will do a concert in CA if asked to.

could we turn a concert into a fundraising event?