PDA

View Full Version : How are things looking for us in Texas?

TexasAggie09
01-11-2008, 08:41 PM
How big of a presence do we have, is Ron Paul looked at favorably, and what do our chances look like?

terlinguatx
01-11-2008, 10:03 PM

grunt
01-12-2008, 06:23 PM
The meetup groups here are huge and have high attendance rates. Combine that with the fact that Texas has very low primary turnout (10%), and we have a good chance of winning the state with the network we've built up.

This seems to be a little bit over-hyped to me.

Bilgefisher
01-13-2008, 12:04 PM
How many delegates in Texas?

thekeeper
01-13-2008, 01:11 PM
The meetup groups here are huge and have high attendance rates. Combine that with the fact that Texas has very low primary turnout (10%), and we have a good chance of winning the state with the network we've built up.

I'm not as positive as this, but our support is growing daily here in my area. Dr. Paul's performance in the South Carolina debate helped.

I live in a rural area. Neo-con thinking has a strong-hold here, especially among men between 30 and 40. In rural areas of Texas, New York politicians are not very popular. This hurts Giuliani. Many take their voting orders from conservative talk radio, so McCain will not do good here. I have heard of support for Fred Thompson, and have seen some yard signs and a few bumper stickers. Southern Baptists are the biggest Evangelical denomination in my area, so Huckabee will most likely be their choice. I haven't heard much talk of Romney as a candidate. Coming from a Southern Baptist background myself, I can tell you that most Southern Baptists in this area will have a hard time pulling the lever for Romney.

Firestalker5
01-18-2008, 11:40 AM
How many delegates in Texas?

Ara825
01-19-2008, 05:26 PM
I live in Commerce in Hunt County (about 60 miles East of Dallas)
We had our first meetup last week, there were 21 people there. Commerce is a small town with around 9,000 people so I think the turnout was good with it being our first meetup. The group was about even as far as age goes, about half were in their 20s and 30s, other half 50 and above. Texas A&M University is here so we're hoping to get some students interested in joining the meetup.

wealeat
01-29-2008, 04:37 AM
Texas A&M University-Commerce, that is. :)

My home town is 5 minutes from Commerce. That is an awesome turn-out. I hope Hunt county represents. My home town is in Hopkins but what the hey.

TexasAggie09
01-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Ah hell, wealeat. We try to spread the gospel on TA, but I'm afraid it's falling on deaf ears.

tribute_13
02-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Ah hell, wealeat. We try to spread the gospel on TA, but I'm afraid it's falling on deaf ears.

How many delegates is Paul projected to win in Texas? If he can secure the majority then hopefully MSM will get their thumbs out of their ass and start reporting him, although I doubt.

Worse comes worse, MSM would probably dismiss Paul's win in Texas as the only reason being that he's from there.

280Z28
02-12-2008, 12:14 PM
How many delegates is Paul projected to win in Texas? If he can secure the majority then hopefully MSM will get their thumbs out of their ass and start reporting him, although I doubt.

Worse comes worse, MSM would probably dismiss Paul's win in Texas as the only reason being that he's from there.

We're winner take all.

acptulsa
02-12-2008, 12:36 PM
We're winner take all.

I thought you had 140 delegates and it was winner-take-all by district.

If there are any districts where there's any chance of McCain winning, I hope you'll holler for help!

kirkblitz
02-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Tuesday 4 March 2008: 137 of 140 of Texas's delegates to the Republican National Convention are allocated to presidential contenders in today's Texas Presidential Primary.

* 96 district delegates are to be allocated to presidential contenders based on the primary results in each of the 32 congressional districts: each congressional district is assigned 3 National Convention delegates. These delegates are allocated to the presidential contenders as follows:
o If a candidate receives a majority of the vote (more than 50%), that candidate is allocated all 3 of the district's delegates. [General Rules for All Conventions and Meetings Section 8.a.]
o If no candidate receives a majority of the vote and at least 1 candidate receives 20% or more of the vote, the candidate with the most votes (plurality) receives 2 delegates and the candidate receiving the next highest number of votes receives 1 delegate. However, if the plurality winner receives more than 20% and the number of votes received by the next highest candidate is less than 20%, the plurality winner receives 3 delegates. [Section 8.b.]
o If no candidate receives 20% of the vote then the top 3 vote getters each receive 1 delegate. [Section 8.c.]
* 41 at-large delegates (10 base at-large delegates plus 31 bonus delegates) are to be allocated to the presidential contenders based on the primary results statewide. These delegates are allocated to the presidential contenders as follows:
o If a candidate receives a majority of the vote (more than 50%), that candidate is allocated all 41 at-large delegates. [Section 9.a.]
o If no candidate receives a majority of the vote and at least 1 candidate receives 20% or more of the vote, the 41 at-large delegates are allocated proportionally among those candidates receiving 20% or more of the vote. Rounding rules: Beginning with the candidate receiving the largest number of votes, round any fraction to the next whole number of delegates. Continue this process with the next highest vote getter and repeat until all the delegates are allocated. [Section 9.b.]
o If no candidate receives 20% of the vote, allocate the 41 at-large delegates proportionally. Rounding rules: Beginning with the candidate receiving the largest number of votes, round any fraction to the next whole number of delegates. Continue this process with the next highest vote getter and repeat until all the delegates are allocated. [Section 9.c.]

In addition, 3 party leaders, the National Committeeman, the National Committeewoman, and the chairman of the Texas's Republican Party, will attend the convention as unpledged delegates by virtue of their position.

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/TX-R.phtml

Ball
02-12-2008, 06:44 PM
If you take over the party, the rules can be adjusted.

That's how politics go, and the party here hates McCain.

Liberté
02-12-2008, 08:07 PM
What is the latest news on Ron Pauls own congressional district, I assume we have that all locked up. No problems with the GOP endorsement? General Election who is he facing? Just want to make sure Dr. Paul is heading back to congress, a defeat would be spun against the movement.

dirknb@hotmail.com
02-12-2008, 09:42 PM
It's tough here, this is Bush country. You still see W 04 stickers on cars everywhere you look. Governor Perry and the state Republican Party are neo-con to the core and shun RP as much as anywhere else. Even though it's Ron Paul's home state, his name recognition probably isn't much better than anywhere else. We're making progress every day though.

Ginobili
02-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Hmmm... here where I live (But im right inbetween SA and Austin, so im right inbetween two huge Ron Paul cities), there are CRAPLOADS of RP signs, supporters, etc... but you also have your northern texans and western texas who are just redneck crazies so... yeah, i think he has centeral texas, but the rest im not so sure.

Liberté
02-12-2008, 09:52 PM
It's tough here, this is Bush country. You still see W 04 stickers on cars everywhere you look. Governor Perry and the state Republican Party are neo-con to the core and shun RP as much as anywhere else. Even though it's Ron Paul's home state, his name recognition probably isn't much better than anywhere else. We're making progress every day though.

But I am sure Ron Paul will take his own district... is he popular there?

richyrichard
02-12-2008, 10:17 PM
There are many Ron Paul supporters in Southeast Texas; quite a few in Beaumont and Orange. Vidor, Mauriceville, Bridge City, abd Lumberton are white areas, so Paul should do well here. Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Orange, are mostly racist blacks and racist Mexicans so they will probably vote for Obama just because he's black, or leans in that direction.

Lisa S
02-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Ron Paul has alot of support in Austin from what I see on youtube. He needs to do alot of campaigning in Texas and Ohio. That is the only way he has any chance. He needs to push the fact that he is the toughest on illegal immigration and not talk so much about the war I think. It seems Obama has the no war vote sewn up.

Scott Friday
02-12-2008, 11:29 PM
I am in Huntsville. Very few signs here. I am a precinct leader but have no help at all, unless you count the moral support of my three year old daughter that likes to go with me when I canvas the neighborhood. We have a local meetup group, but it is not real active and I have only found one person there willing to help, but she is swamped with her own area. If the students at Sam Houston Univ. are pro Paul, I am not seeing it anywhere... Most of the people I meet while canvasing are surprised to find out Paul is still in the race. Some of my close friends and family are supporters because of my continued preaching in the last few years. I don't have much hope for our precincts, but I will continue as I can. The constant low results in the various primaries and caucuses are not helping. Most folks won't take the time to understand the confusing delegate process and just focus on the vote numbers reported by the media. I am taking the long term perspective though. I will continue to preach the message, just like I always have, in the hopes that in the future the people will be more receptive to someone like Ron Paul. I just hope we survive until that time...

Kludge
02-12-2008, 11:36 PM
I'll hazard an estimate at... 13%-17% in Texas. Decent showing.

tribute_13
02-13-2008, 09:58 AM

That's not decent, Paul already expressed that if he loses Texas, then there's no point to keep going.

jacmicwag
02-13-2008, 03:05 PM
We may win a few delegates in the Austin area. A few more in the Houston/Austin area is also a possibility. Other than that, Texas will be McCain/Huck territory most likely. My guess is 7 to 8% popular vote. Since McCain pretty much has this thing wrapped up, it's a lot tougher to get folks excited even in Ron's home state.

rtil
02-13-2008, 03:13 PM
it is discouraging to hear people mostly vote based on who they think the frontrunner is, rather than who they believe in.

hawks4ronpaul
02-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Does TX have a minimum threshold (20%?) to win any delegates?

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

JR from Texas
02-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Hawks,

If a candidate gets 50%, they get all the delegates.

If a candidate gets above 20%, they get most of the delegates and the next guy gets some.

If no candidates get above 20%, the top 3 split the delegates somehow.

The takeaway is that McCain will get above 20% and Huckabee will beat Paul - so again, targetting the primary vote to gain state delegates should not be Paul's strategy.

If you seriously want to help Paul in Texas, you need to get elected as a delegate the day of the primary, work your way up through the system, and hope for a brokered convention.

slacker921
02-14-2008, 01:46 PM
"He needs to push the fact that he is the toughest on illegal immigration and not talk so much about the war I think. It seems Obama has the no war vote sewn up."
Yeah, you'd think they'd be advertising that heavily in Texas.
Is the campaign advertising in Texas at all?? ... it seems that in the recent states the campaign isn't even advertising - so yeah the public gets the perception he's not in the race anymore. Arrrghhh!

blakjak
02-14-2008, 04:02 PM
That's not decent, Paul already expressed that if he loses Texas, then there's no point to keep going.

No, Paul was talking about the importance of the Texas Congressional seat - not the Republican primary, and he has never uttered the words "there's no point to keep going". Please don't spread this disinformation.

blakjak
02-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Decent? That would be outstanding!

Johnny Crab
02-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I live in a rural area. Neo-con thinking has a strong-hold here, especially among men between 30 and 40. In rural areas of Texas, New York politicians are not very popular. This hurts Giuliani. Many take their voting orders from conservative talk radio, so McCain will not do good here. Southern Baptists are the biggest Evangelical denomination in my area, so Huckabee will most likely be their choice. Same here.
Makes me sick but they've got the "big money ministers" telling them what to think too.

Sad.

RP will do well in this area(see my location).

gotcats
02-15-2008, 12:40 PM
I live in Canton, about 70 miles from east of Dallas.The problem I find over and over is that more people watch T.V. and do not access the internet. I have been working on a Ron Paul compilation of the YouTube speeches,Debates etc. but so far have only been able to create a DVD playable on a computer not a DVD player as needed.
I would gladly reproduce as many copies as needed to handout for free to people without a computer as most do have DVD players.
As we all know, exposure to Ron Paul or rather the lack of it is hurting. It only takes 1 or 2 speeches to convert most people.
I do have copies made on CD of his speeches and debates for listening only if anyone is interested,

terlinguatx
02-15-2008, 12:42 PM

Sey.Naci
02-15-2008, 12:47 PM
You need to support the Ron Paul Newspaper - Texas edition (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=120158) effort. They've plans to distribute 500,000 copies of the paper, which puts in print form most of what can be found on his website, but they need money to do it. This is a legit operation (the chip-in is on the home page of these forums) and previous results suggest that it works to inform people and GOTV for RP.

jblosser
02-15-2008, 12:50 PM
How is Texas?

Well, we have a GOP that hates McCain, a very active bunch of well-organized meetups, and we're Ron Paul's home state.

Meanwhile the grassroots interest level has largely moved to the march, the donations are dried up, the media is continuing to report that Ron Paul has dropped out.

So we would be in AWESOME shape if we had people's interest and donations, but at the moment we don't.

hawks4ronpaul
02-15-2008, 03:10 PM
I find over and over is that more people watch T.V. and do not access the internet.
How many Texans will vote for Walker Texas Ranger?

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Scott Friday
02-15-2008, 08:29 PM
I live in Canton, about 70 miles from east of Dallas.The problem I find over and over is that more people watch T.V. and do not access the internet. I have been working on a Ron Paul compilation of the YouTube speeches,Debates etc. but so far have only been able to create a DVD playable on a computer not a DVD player as needed.
I would gladly reproduce as many copies as needed to handout for free to people without a computer as most do have DVD players.
As we all know, exposure to Ron Paul or rather the lack of it is hurting. It only takes 1 or 2 speeches to convert most people.
I do have copies made on CD of his speeches and debates for listening only if anyone is interested,

There is this: http://www.ronpauldvd.com/

Also, I downloaded this and burned about 400 copies to hand out.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=26297

I've got about 150 more to hand out of that 400. It will play on any DVD player, just like a movie. The first link in that post is to a google video. It is the main feature on the DVD. You can download an image of the DVD using a bittorrent program from the piratebay link (what I did). Then use that image to burn as many DVD's as you can. I have a 16X burner and it averages about 7 minutes per DVD, so it takes a LOT of time. Given the cost in time and money, in retrospect, I think the first link I posted above would have been a better deal and it looks professional. My DVD's all have the title hand written with a Sharpie :p

I think the newspaper idea is great. I wish I had a few thousand to toss, especially if they had plastic wrappers.