PDA

View Full Version : A Question Mark Sign

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 10:02 AM
It could be as simple as a big red question mark on a cardboard sign. Easy to make and costs virtually nothing. Please read the whole thread befor you make up your mind.

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 10:04 AM
:confused:

what is this regarding? :D

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Advertising!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Highmesa
What?

?

DeadheadForPaul
Rollcall: Doesnt get it

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 10:27 AM
If you saw a big red ? as a road sign What do think it means?

Kuldebar
07-24-2007, 10:28 AM
http://www.movie-poster.ws/movies/wallpaper/cartoon/shrek/shrek_donkey.jpg

Wha...?

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Wouldn't you be curious enough to want to find out?

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 10:34 AM
lmao.. this doesn't make any sense.. what is somebody going to do, Google "?"

i think the "Who is Ron Paul?" signs do more good, at least it gets his name out.

Green Mountain Boy
07-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Wouldn't you be curious enough to want to find out?

No

Kuldebar
07-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Find out from who/where/what?

Wait...we google bomb "?" so it links to Ron Paul's campaign site!

Get to work peeples!

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 10:36 AM
I'll give you a hint. What's the question?

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I'll give you a hint. What's the question?

Huh?!

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Find out from who/where/what?

Wait...we google bomb "?" so it links to Ron Paul's campaign site!

Get to work peeples!

Getting close.

Kuldebar
07-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Who is John Galt?

Was pretty effective in the novel.

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Who is John Galt?

Getting even closer.

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Getting even closer.

not another one of these threads, please.. if you have an idea just share it. :rolleyes:

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 10:44 AM
not another one of these threads, please.. if you have an idea just share it. :rolleyes:
If I say it, it's not true. If you say it, it's true to you. (A sales tactic.) What is the correct question that the ? stands for?

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 10:51 AM
If I say it, it's not true. If you say it, it's true to you. (A sales tactic.) What is the correct question that the ? stands for?

You already said it, the correct questions would be "what does the ? stand for?"

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 10:53 AM
If associated with the Ron Paul campaign. What would the question be.

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm totally not following. How can it be associated with anything if it's just a question mark?

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm totally not following. How can it be associated with anything if it's just a question mark? The news papers and tv news will find out who is putting up the signs, and ask what is the question we are asking to get people curious. If you had to take a guess at what the question is that the general public will be asking associated with the Ron Paul campaign, what do you think that question is? Just post what you think that question is, and don't be flip.

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 11:07 AM
The news papers and tv news will find out who is putting up the signs, and ask what is the question we are asking to get people curious. If you had to take a guess at what the question is that the general public will be asking associated with the Ron Paul campaign, what do you think that question is? Just post what you think that question is, and don't be flip.

What can Ron Paul do for me?

Craig_R
07-24-2007, 11:10 AM
did you just read the batman comic where he battles the riddler or something.

just spit out your idea

foofighter20x
07-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Hahaha... It's the Soviet version of the Riddler...

?

foofighter20x
07-24-2007, 11:27 AM
did you just read the batman comic where he battles the riddler or something.

just spit out your idea

damn you.

you stole my idea.

damn you. *shakes fist*

Craig_R
07-24-2007, 11:30 AM
damn you.

you stole my idea.

damn you. *shakes fist*

you'll live

Green Mountain Boy
07-24-2007, 11:31 AM
"What hope do we have for America?"

foofighter20x
07-24-2007, 11:31 AM
you'll live

:p

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 11:33 AM
"What hope do we have for America?"
No Try again.

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 11:43 AM
No Try again.

No, I refuse to play this game. I guessed once and that's it. Please stop wasting our time.

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 11:45 AM
No, I refuse to play this game. I guessed once and that's it. Please stop wasting our time.
You have plenty of time.

BLS
07-24-2007, 11:56 AM
OH geez guys...come on...

It's supposed to mean "who is Ron Paul?"

I think you should just do this

? RP ?

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 12:01 PM

? RP ?

I already said on page 1 of this ridiculous thread that "Who is Ron Paul?" would work better. At least it gets his name out.

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 12:06 PM

? RP ?

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

When someone asks you the question, you might say; thats for you to find out, and hand them a slim jim or a trifold. The media will ask the question, what are all the question mark signs about, and what is the question? The question is; Who is Ron Paul? The answer; That's for you to find out. Name recognition brought about by curiosity, and the media wanting to know who is putting up these signs. Imagine 1 million question mark signs popping up all over the country this weekend. What do you think the reaction would be.

BLS
07-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

When someone asks you the question, you might say; thats for you to find out, and hand them a slim jim or a trifold. The media will ask the question, what are all the question mark signs about, and what is the question? The question is; Who is Ron Paul? The answer; That's for you to find out. Name recognition brought about by curiosity, and the media wanting to know who is putting up these signs. Imagine 1 million question mark signs popping up all over the country this weekend. What do you think the reaction would be.

You would have gotten further with this rather neat idea if you had just told everyone and not played around.

I think it's a good idea personally.

Highmesa
07-24-2007, 12:07 PM
I have a better idea. Let's put these up all over the place:

http://www.boingboing.net/200701311418.jpg

micahnelson
07-24-2007, 12:08 PM
q: ?
a: !

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 12:09 PM
I have a better idea. Let's put these up all over the place:

http://www.boingboing.net/200701311418.jpg

Lite Brites? Yeah... then we'll really be taken seriously.. :eek: :D

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 12:09 PM
You would have gotten further with this rather neat idea if you had just told everyone and not played around.

I think it's a good idea personally.

It's a marketing ploy, and it worked on this thread, just like a plain old question mark might work.

freelance
07-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Who is John Galt?

Hell, I thought that was where "Who is Ron Paul?" came from!

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 12:11 PM
It's a marketing ploy, and it worked, just like a plain old question mark might work.

But let's face it - people are lazy as hell.. If the signs said "Who is Ron Paul?" at least they'd know what to research..

briatx
07-24-2007, 12:11 PM
I think you're trying to be too clever for your own good.

The idea of the signs is to get name exposure, for those people who don't bother to do more than watch 30 minutes of cable news highlights after the debates. Or who haven't even bothered to do that.

Your signs will cause these people to go huh? Then they will fill in the rest with whatever is already there. "I guess that means I should vote for Fred.", etc.

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 12:15 PM
But let's face it - people are lazy as hell.. If the signs said "Who is Ron Paul?" at least they'd know what to research..

No disrespect intended playing with you on this thread. I just think a question mark sign would cost virtually nothing to make in time and money. The public will figure out what it is about and who is doing it. How about a small test market?

freelance
07-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Okay, here's one way to make it work.

If you put up the ? sign for X period of time, and THEN replace each of them with "who is Ron Paul?" signs, that would work.

I've seen that sort of thing used as a marketing tactic for events and releases before.

They have to see the ? mark sign several times so that when they see the "Who is Ron Paul?" sign, they will make the connection.

You MUST follow up with a real sign for it to do any good. How many people will associate a ? mark sign with Ron Paul?

nullvalu
07-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Okay, here's one way to make it work.

If you put up the ? sign for X period of time, and THEN replace each of them with "who is Ron Paul?" signs, that would work.

I've seen that sort of thing used as a marketing tactic for events and releases before.

They have to see the ? mark sign several times so that when they see the "Who is Ron Paul?" sign, they will make the connection.

You MUST follow up with a real sign for it to do any good. How many people will associate a ? mark sign with Ron Paul?

that makes MUCH more sense.. and use the same red question mark, like "Who is Ron Paul?"

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 12:52 PM
that makes MUCH more sense.. and use the same red question mark, like "Who is Ron Paul?"

I concur.

BLS
07-24-2007, 12:52 PM
OK, this is what i think. Imagine a large city, blanketed with "?" signs or "? RP ?" signs, for months. Nobody knows what they are...

But then, a few months later, as more and more signs are put up everywhere, to the point that everyone has seen them and wondered "what does it mean"...

Your local news channel gets a phone call...tells them...and at the 6pm news, they tell everybody that they know the answer to the mysterious "?" signs...

It's Ron Paul.

briatx
07-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Ok, well lets say you do the sign replacement thing.

At a minimum, you could have had twice the amount of signs with Ron Paul's name on it. Is this more effective?

I guess the idea is to perform a sneak attack around the consciousness, and possibly to try to get some viral buzz going, but is this going to be more effective than brute force saturation?

Will it be as cost effective?

michaelwise
07-24-2007, 02:44 PM
What if we did a coordinated attack for a week nationwide, with just a question mark sign? Let everyone figure out for themselves what it is about. Maybe the national news would pick up the story. Signs posted on light posts and everywhere possible, painted on cardboard or whatever. What I am trying to achieve is an end run around the media, to get nationwide name recognition for Ron Paul. They'll figure out who is doing it.

michaelwise
07-25-2007, 12:03 AM
What if we did a coordinated attack for a week nationwide, with just a question mark sign? Let everyone figure out for themselves what it is about. Maybe the national news would pick up the story. Signs posted on light posts and everywhere possible, painted on cardboard or whatever. What I am trying to achieve is an end run around the media, to get nationwide name recognition for Ron Paul. They'll figure out who is doing it.

People would ask; Who are all these people putting up all these question mark signs?
Their your neighbor, because they found out something you don't know.
Who is Ron Paul?

LinuxUser269
07-25-2007, 02:36 AM
The ? could be used if at first it was accocated with ron paul signs and a slogon that would help paint a picture in a persons mind. many other symboles can be used for this the peace symbol for example we know that it stands for peace , but you might go back into symbology( if that is what it is called) and find the peace sign meen somthing different.

why not somthing like ?

~~~RP~~~
~~~08~~~

LinuxUser269
07-25-2007, 02:44 AM
People would ask; Who are all these people putting up all these question mark signs?
Their your neighbor, because they found out something you don't know.
Who is Ron Paul?

hmm start with the (?)then paint it in .
but we are limited by the time it would take to successfuly to pull off such a marketing ploy

LinuxUser269
07-25-2007, 02:50 AM
you know what i have 5000 buisness card with ron paul stuff on them ill put a RED ? on the back and lay them ? up.

problem solved?

michaelwise
07-26-2007, 01:13 AM
you know what i have 5000 buisness card with ron paul stuff on them ill put a RED ? on the back and lay them ? up.

problem solved?

Wow. That is a great idea. Who could resist not turning it over. See, it asks people to take the initiative.