PDA

View Full Version : Cnn Coverage Of Hillary's Racist Comment!!!

Allen72289
01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/06/elec04.s.mo.farmer.clinton.ap/

At Her Finest!!!

AgentPaul001
01-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Wow, and and she's actually on video saying this. Why aren't these racist allegations surfacing about Clinton when its a fact unlike with Paul?

constituent
hilary,

what was ghandi's first name again?

hillertexas
Hillary Clinton 'truly regrets' Gandhi joke

Remarks called stereotypical, racially insensitive

ST. LOUIS, Missouri (AP) --Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton apologized for joking that Mahatma Gandhi used to run a gas station in St. Louis, saying it was "a lame attempt at humor."

The New York Democrat made the remark at a fund-raiser Saturday. During an event here for Senate candidate Nancy Farmer, Clinton introduced a quote from Gandhi by saying, "He ran a gas station down in St. Louis."

After laughter from many in the crowd of at least 200 subsided, the former first lady continued, "No, Mahatma Gandhi was a great leader of the 20th century." In a nod to Farmer's underdog status against Republican Sen. Kit Bond, Clinton quoted the Indian independence leader as saying: "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

The director of a U.S. center devoted to Gandhi's teachings called the remarks stereotypical and racially insensitive, while an educator said the flap underscored the need for politicians to be cautious when trying to get laughs.

"Political speeches can't be like episodes of The Simpsons," said David Robertson, a University of Missouri-St. Louis political science professor.

After being approached by The Associated Press to clarify the remarks, Clinton suggested in a statement sent late Monday that she never meant to fuel any stereotype -- often used as a comedic punch line -- that certain ethnic groups were synonymous with operating America's gas stations.

"I have admired the work and life of Mahatma Gandhi and have spoken publicly about that many times," Clinton said in a two-sentence statement. "I truly regret if a lame attempt at humor suggested otherwise."

So does Michelle Naef, administrator of the M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence, the Memphis, Tennessee-based nonprofit group founded in 1991 by a Gandhi grandson to promote his grandfather's teachings, including nonviolent resistance.

While crediting Clinton and her husband, former President Clinton, as long having "supported the Gandhi message," Naef said Saturday's remarks "could be incredibly harmful" in perpetuating racial myths.

"I don't think she was, in any way, trying to demean Mahatma Gandhi," Naef said. "To be generous to her, I would say it was a poor attempt at humor. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive, but I find it offensive when people use stereotypes in that way."

To Robertson, the professor, the flap demonstrates the potential peril of when humor by politicians falls flat.

"The more prominent the politician, the more they've taken positions on equality in the past as Mrs. Clinton has, the more this is going to be troubling to some people," he said. "It's understandable that groups want to make sure they're treated with complete respect."

When it comes to Hillary Clinton, he said, "there's no reason to think she doesn't admire Gandhi, like so many people do. After all, Gandhi was influential to Martin Luther King Jr., and I know she respects King."

Allen72289
01-11-2008, 05:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDHbHcOV1N4&NR=1

Allen72289
01-12-2008, 01:12 AM
Bump

Doriath
01-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Bump.

With comedy added!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ZId3U0r0Q

NMCB3
01-12-2008, 01:19 AM
It looks like that comment was an attempt at a joke. The charges of racism are nothing but political correctness. I call bullshit.

rodent
01-12-2008, 02:12 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/06/elec04.s.mo.farmer.clinton.ap/

At Her Finest!!!

The article is kind of funny. The guy says she is perpetuating some kind of racial myth. I don't call ownership of mini-marts and hotels by people with the last name Patel a myth.

lol.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-12-2008, 06:24 AM
Why aren't these racist allegations surfacing about Clinton when its a fact unlike with Paul?

Because facts aren't important here. What you need to ask yourself is... If Paul would have said that, would it be a big deal? The answer is a definite yes.

VoteRonPaul2008
01-12-2008, 08:44 AM
^^I agree with Money, if Paul had said it then it would be considered racist.. but the media has been down clinton's throat too.. it was just a joke,.. Obama's accusing her of being racist when she said he needs to stop comparing him to MLK.. ugh I'm tired of the media bias