PDA

View Full Version : What are the expected gains of verbally attacking people?

davidhperry
01-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Please think before you post - I'm open to what anyone has to say but please be rational and comprehensive in your response.

It's a free country, people can say what they want, etc. etc. etc. - I get it.

I've noticed from time to time that a subset of Ron Paul supporters have taken it upon themselves to attack individuals who oppose Dr. Paul ("F U Frank," chasing Hannity, YouTube comments, etc.)

The question is this: what benefit are these supporters hoping to gain from attacking people in this way? If someone knows, please tell me - open my eyes. Please justify why it's a good idea or a bad one. What is the underlying motivation for all of this?

davidhperry
01-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Anyone want to jump in on this?

pcosmar
01-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Stress relief.
Venting Anger.

Have you ever just walked out in a field and yelled.
It's therapeutic.

freelance
01-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Instant gratification--a hallmark of stunted emotional growth!

me3
01-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Welcome to Free Market hell Dave.

The right to be rational, or irrational. The right to be quietly irrational or loudly irrational.

It's my one problem with libertarianism. That our self-control and discretion is supposed to be directed by our own self interest.

But what do you do, when people don't even consider their own self interest when acting irrationally? :confused:

Great thread btw. Made me smile.

constituent
01-11-2008, 05:25 PM
But what do you do, when people don't even consider their own self interest when acting irrationally? :confused:

seek shelter :D;)

davidhperry
01-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Stress relief.
Venting Anger.

Have you ever just walked out in a field and yelled.
It's therapeutic.

I haven't done that, but similar. When I want to vent I ride my bike. When I really want to vent, I take a bat and hit stuff with it. Kind of like the copier scene in "The Office" movie.

benhaskins
01-11-2008, 05:26 PM
human nature ?

davidhperry
01-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Welcome to Free Market hell Dave.

It's my one problem with libertarianism. That our self-control and discretion is supposed to be directed by our own self interest.

That is the issue. I wish people would realize that when they cuss someone out, they usually drag the rest of us along with them. That is not libertarianism - it's a bastardization of libertarianism.

Personally, I wouldn't do it but I'm fine if people choose to chase Hannity down the street. Have at it and have a good time doing it - more power to ya. However, when you're carrying a "Ron Paul" sign and doing that, it then becomes my problem as well. Do people not get this?

I mean, talk about unintended consequences.

I wish people would realize that doing this works against their self interest - which is to get Ron Paul elected President. Like someone else said, if you're mad a Frank Luntz, go outside and scream if that makes you feel better.