PDA

View Full Version : Was Someone Intentionally Screwing Around with the Sound Levels?

nuklbone
01-11-2008, 03:58 PM
The moderators were obviously trying to make Ron Paul look like a fool on stage. I think it is also fishy that the sound system was having trouble right at the same time the moderator went after him about the Iranian speed boats. It gave plenty of time for Guiliani's obnoxious cackling while RP trying to hear what the question was. As soon as RP heard the question, he gave an immediate response without hesitation.

Lucid American
01-11-2008, 04:07 PM
There have been those issues in a couple debates -- always for the candidates on the ends. I remember Tancredo having a similar problem -- maybe Hunter, too, earlier on.

rp08orbust
01-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I had the same suspicions. Trying to make him look like deaf old man.

Shatterhand
01-11-2008, 04:12 PM

+1

MrCobaltBlue
01-11-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't think it was Guiliani, I think it was that annoying black guy from Fox.

Drknows
01-11-2008, 04:31 PM

Yeah and you could hear some weird noise a couple of times when it switched to Ron Paul.

isn't it funny this only happens at Fox news debates? You check his rallies and other events he never has a hard time hearing people.

Andrew-Austin
01-11-2008, 04:34 PM
I haven't noticed this myself...

When Paul couldn't hear what Brit Hume was saying, it was because Brit was mumbling in that wet paper bag fashion of his.

gb13
01-11-2008, 04:36 PM
The moderators were obviously trying to make Ron Paul look like a fool on stage. I think it is also fishy that the sound system was having trouble right at the same time the moderator went after him about the Iranian speed boats. It gave plenty of time for Guiliani's obnoxious cackling while RP trying to hear what the question was. As soon as RP heard the question, he gave an immediate response without hesitation.

I noticed this too.

I also noticed the sound levels of the cheering audience abruptly going up on a few occasions when they were cheering for other candidates, but not when they were cheering RP.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-11-2008, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't put it past them at all. That's nothing compared to the other crap they've pulled, and it takes far less people to be involved than a lot of the other crap they've pulled. These people have made it clear that they're going to fight him, no matter how dirty.

ConstitutionGal
01-11-2008, 04:41 PM
My husband, whose forte' is sound engineering, noticed something screwey with the sound during three different debates now, all three Fox if I remember correctly. There was the debate where the audience was cheering and then booing when Dr. Paul was talking about Iraq (the second debate, I think) and the booing got progressively louder than it was at the start and the cheering got progressively less audible as it progressed. Dr. Paul also seemed to have a hard time hearing during the debate where he was on the far left (from the audienece) of the stage so I have to wonder if just maybe he may have a little bit of hearing loss if he's far removed from those speaking. In any case, it looked a bit negaitve, I think, both times when he had to ask the 'moderator' to repeat questions just because 'perception is everything' whether it was by design or not.

malibu
01-11-2008, 04:46 PM

When Paul couldn't hear what Brit Hume was saying, it was because Brit was mumbling in that wet paper bag fashion of his.

My volume was up loud enough - and I never heard what Goon Hume was referring to -

everyone else talked about the Gates of Hell and seeking the virgins etc.

everyone was tough talking, which of them was passive ?

-----------------------------------------

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. -- Matthew 5 : 9

moose
01-11-2008, 04:47 PM

I can barely hear Brit Hume when he is speaking. I have to turn my sound up because he mumbles.

propanes
01-12-2008, 11:44 AM
It wouldn't be surprising if

(1) Ron's voice is adjusted to sound more shrill.

(2) a recorded laugh track is played when he is asked a question.

(3) the audio to his podium is set low so he can not hear the question.

(4) the big screen in the auditorium juxtaposes Ron with another candidate to dampen applause.

Paul10
01-12-2008, 12:04 PM

werdd
01-12-2008, 12:35 PM
i think its a load of shit that they change the question for ron paul, it would be great if ron would point this out next time....

jkm1864
01-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Reminds me of the episode of star trek where they goto a planet with a 1950's Roman empire. They had a gladiator TV show and they made kirk fight in it. Durring the show they had claps and boo's recorded and they would play them every now and then. I have since come to realize our election system is a sham and its all a big game show to the powers to be.

freedom-maniac
01-12-2008, 12:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Fortunately God's helped us out with his lighting bolts at Giuliani. :)

brandon
01-12-2008, 12:47 PM
THey definitly turned up the volume on the crowd mic for applause when other candidates were speaking

Matt Collins
01-12-2008, 01:18 PM
I AM A PROFESSIONAL AUDIO ENGINEER!

I do audio at concerts, events, and for broadcast. I have run sound for Dr. Paul, Gov Crist of Florida, Earth Wind + Fire, Papa Roach, Charlie Daniels,, Chevelle, Puddle of Mudd, Steven Curtis Chapman, Skillet, Tom Joyner, Phil Valentine, Kix Brooks (of Brooks & Dunn), Jeff Fisher (TN Titans Head Coach), Ashley Tisdale, KC and the Sunshine Band, and many more others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Here is my take:

Those rooms the debates are held in are not professional studios so there is not much acoustical dampening. The signal coming from the microphones have to be split two ways - one to the sound system in the room so that the audience can hear, and the other to the broadcast truck so that it can go out over the air.

Because any acoustical space will have reverberation and reflection, the audio crew has to do their best to keep any extraneous noise out of the mics on stage. With every open mic the noise floor is amplified by a specific amount.

Normally at a concert there would be a monitor system pointed back toward the performers so that they could hear themselves and other members of the band. However, because this is a broadcast situation, specifically of spoken word, the use of an on stage monitor system is not implemented because it would raise the noise floor, increase the potential to cause feedback, and would create more "reflections' of the sound into the very sensitive mics that are used.

Keep in mind that Brit Hume does not project his voice because of his mannerism, but also because when in a studio, it is not necessary to project because the noise floor is so quiet that the mics pick up his voice just fine. You can contrast this to Chris Matthews for example who yells all the time for no reason.

Also worth noting is that every time you double the distance the volume of the sound is divided in half. Meaning at 20 ft away it is half as loud as 10 ft away from the source.

At the debate if Brit Hume is 20 ft away from the candidates and softly mumbles like he is used to, his voice will be barely carrying directly across the stage without any amplification. Since there is a also a live PA system in the room causing late reflections of Brit's voice arriving several hundred milliseconds after Brit's direct sound arrives at the candidates, the level of intelligibility goes down exponentially.

For someone with perfect hearing this is not a problem most of the time. However the fluid near the basilar membrane inside the ear hardens with age naturally and makes it harder to understand spoken word for many older people. Even if the hearing loss/hardening of the fluid is minimal, in an acoustically difficult environment such as this, understanding the spoken word can be very challenging.

Ron Paul is obviously not deaf, but he does have a little trouble hearing in tough environments.

This is not a conspiracy on anyone's part, it is just simply the nature of the event. It is unfortunate that he keeps raising his hand to his ear because it makes him look unfit. Even if he needs to have the question repeated he should NOT raise his hand to his ear because it flat out looks bad.

Oh - and Rudy had a very similar problem at one of the debates previously too.