PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Media - The Smear

affa
01-11-2008, 02:28 PM
The media is a complex beast - and the way it works even more so. Right now, the mainstream media is conducting an all out smear attack against Ron Paul on charges of implied racism. However, notice they never directly call him racist - for the simple fact is that they are well aware that he isn't. They know that if they go too far (as in, a direct attack) it's likely many notable politicians who currently remain silent would be forced to stand up and defend Ron Paul's honor and his record. This is why mainstream media can not attack Ron Paul directly on this issue. When they even come close, he is able to highlight his truly anti-racist beliefs and policies, deftly turning the tables - for example, by spotlighting the embedded racism within current policies such as the War on Drugs.

So... why? Why mount this smear campaign when they know they can't win?

A better question: If the target isn't really Ron Paul, then who is it?

Is it the uninformed American public - the bread and butter of Mainstream Media? After all, the Mainstream Media knows that something need not be true to make it stick - repetition is an effective and often used propaganda trick. Certainly, this is part of their game - but to leave it at that underestimates the true deviousness of Mainstream Media.

To find their real target we need to look deeper - but we don't need to look far.

We, the Grassroots, are the enemy of the Mainstream Media. We've already proven (by supporting Ron Paul to the degree that we do) that we are powerful - that we can get his (and our) message out despite their blackouts or ridicule. If Grassroots and Mainstream Media were two beasts, then we'd be natural born enemies fighting for territory. We represent information dissemination from the bottom up - they represent information from the top down. We represent freedom of speech, they represent limitation of speech. We are the many, they are the few. And, most importantly, while they have their owners and advertisers we speak for ourselves. We represent a direct attack on their oligarchy and their power, and for that, they will try to destroy us.

The smear campaign on Ron Paul achieves two major goals in the attempted undermining of the Grassroots.

First, as soon as we begin to categorize other Americans as 'sheep', we begin to view our peers as the enemy, as 'the other'. Yes, it's true that some are deceived and misled by the Mainstream Media - but those people aren't our enemies and never will be. They are part of our strength, they just don't know it yet. Most of us were one of them, be it yesterday or decades ago. We all woke up. And now we're waking up people exponentially. We are the future. Do not let the Media separate us from compatriots.

Viewed as an attack on the Grassroots, we find new meaning in their smear campaign. They seek to silence us. They are attempting to put the fear into us - "hey, if you tell people you support Ron Paul, they might think you're racist". This is same way they tried to quell the anti-war movement by labeling them unpatriotic or kooks. This is the same way they try to quell any message that does not originate from them.

Understand the Media. Understand they are our enemy - that we are powerful not because they occasionally give us their attention but because we are the people, by the people, and for the people.

Stand up for yourself.
Stand up for your beliefs.
Stand up for Ron Paul.

-ky

Dave Wood
01-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Welcome! Great post, we must stay united

WilliamC
01-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Keep calling into local talk radio. Defend Ron Paul, argue his positions. Don't get angry. Stick with the facts. Tell the truth. Bypass the MSM.

Shatterhand
01-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Very interesting post.

affa
01-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Welcome! Great post, we must stay united

Thank you. It was my first post, but I've lurked here for quite a long time and have contributed to Ron Paul several times (both Money Bombs and after New Hampshire). And I will again. I don't agree with every single position he has, but it's evident to me he is the solution, that he can actually change things.

ky

belian78
01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
great post! is it yours? if not, where do we get a link? :D:D

risiusj
01-11-2008, 02:48 PM
The smear is getting ridiculous. The morning news for a small local channel did a quick part about Ron Paul being a racist.

affa
01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
great post! is it yours? if not, where do we get a link? :D:D

Yes, I wrote it. No link - this is the only place I've posted it. I plan on writing more regarding various interrelated topics; perhaps I should start a blog.

ky

hillertexas
01-11-2008, 02:53 PM
I think you are right

hillertexas
01-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Can I repost your writing in my myspace bulletins?

Deborah K
01-11-2008, 02:54 PM
We have to do this ourselves through the internet ( emailing our address books, sending u-tubes etc. to our circle of influence), through our meet-up groups, and by becoming delegates and precinct captains.

The media is our enemy. We cannot ever believe otherwise. The only thing we can do is try to combat the negativity by addressing it as we hear, read, see it. Think of yourself as a campaign spokesperson and act accordingly. Behave in a way that reflects well on President Paul.

Deborah K
01-11-2008, 02:56 PM
We should also adopt the Jefferson county strategies in each of our towns.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MjU-1QVaXU

affa
01-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Can I repost your writing in my myspace bulletins?

Yes, feel free to spread the message.

Please attribute to the initials 'KY'.

ForTheRevolution
01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
well then....Time to feed the Sheep!!!

Ron2Win
01-11-2008, 03:06 PM
I think we are doing great. The whole smear is a response that we are doing a good job. Do they ever smear Kucinich? Hunter? any of them?

No, this is working 100%.

hillertexas
01-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Yes, feel free to spread the message.

Please attribute to the initials 'KY'.

done...
thanks.

VoluntaryMan
01-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I am determined that the best way to address these recent smears against Dr. Paul is with a frontal assault. He is, by far, the best candidate, from either party, on issues of special concern to black voters. He needs to take advantage of the opportunity that this attack provides, and the great venue that SC provides, to address this issue once and for all. Here's how:

Dr. needs to hold a debate in SC on the issues of immigration, the war on terror, the drug war, the IRS, and the death penalty. These are all issues with a disparate impact on black Americans. He should invite all GOP presidential candidates, including Duncan Hunter and Alan Keyes (even if Alan Keyes was the only other candidate to accept, it still works well for Dr. Paul). I suspect that a friendly moderator could be located (this gentleman would be my choice: http://youtube.com/watch?v=7ji_Ft23BDw&feature=related), and a local station would probably broadcast it, prior to the SC primary, even if the timeslot isn't exactly primetime. This is his best answer to the matter, and will turn a negative into a positive. This should be started immediately.

Ernest
01-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Great post! The first rational one I have seen on this topic.

rdenner
01-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Excelent post.

I have to stop being so smug and calling people sheep. BUT IT FEELS SO SUPERIOR TO DO SO. :)

ForTheRevolution
01-11-2008, 03:18 PM
well then....Time to feed the Sheep!!!

humanic
01-11-2008, 03:20 PM
excellent

Nanerbeet
01-11-2008, 03:22 PM
This make a lot of sense because it basically boils down the divide & conquer strategy; if we don't unite they will win. Simple, yet very effective.

tekmo
01-11-2008, 03:31 PM
beautiful post.

affa
01-11-2008, 04:34 PM
thanks all for the kind words - it gives me the energy for going forward and writing something new.

ky

Shatterhand
01-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Bump:D:D:D:D

WeWillWin08
01-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Welcome.

Very thoughtful post.

Kinda ties-in with similar post I saw yesterday (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=86563)