PDA

View Full Version : Should we sue Fox News?

disciple
01-11-2008, 01:23 PM
We need a multimillion dollars legal suit by the people (us) against Fox news, we can bring them down and we can get rich in the process.

If we can pool our money together we can hire the best lawyers, and they in turn can make a fortune.

Let's hit them where it hurts.

Great publicity too.

What do you guys think, and do we have lawyers on board?

SovereignMN
01-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Stop wasting time. There are states to win.

johngr
01-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Take your "money" and short their stock instead.

disciple
01-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Stop wasting time. There are states to win.

It 's not our time that is going to be wasted but professional lawyers can take it from here, that's why we pay them money.. But the buzz that it will create will be priceless. Who's on board?

disciple
01-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Take your "money" and short their stock instead.

I am in the market, and this is a bad idea. Murdoch has so much money that he can buy millions of his shares overnight, and short sellers will lose big time.

SeanEdwards
01-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Sue them for what? Even lying scumbags have first amendment rights.

Original_Intent
01-11-2008, 01:35 PM
I have contacted Marler Clark law firm to see if we have grounds for a class action lawsuit.

I believe that by reairing the debate without disclosing that the content was editted, if we can show the editting was biased against a candidate that every person who has contributed to the campaign would have grounds to sue for damages. We will see what the lawyers say.

I told them that there is the potential of tens of thousands of co-claimants to a class action suit if they determine there are grounds to proceed

disciple
01-11-2008, 01:37 PM
I'd like to see the following headline in the News:

"Ron paul supporters sue Fox news"

disciple
01-11-2008, 01:38 PM
I have contacted Marler Clark law firm to see if we have grounds for a class action lawsuit.

I believe that by reairing the debate without disclosing that the content was editted, if we can show the editting was biased against a candidate that every person who has contributed to the campaign would have grounds to sue for damages. We will see what the lawyers say.

I told them that there is the potential of tens of thousands of co-claimants to a class action suit if they determine there are grounds to proceed

Now we're talking.

This is our golden opportunity.

disciple
01-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Much money and efforts were and are being spent on the campaign. Lawrence alone has spent thousands of dollars from his own pocket. We may very well have a case.

VoluntaryMan
01-11-2008, 01:45 PM
We need a multimillion dollars legal suit by the people (us) against Fox news, we can bring them down and we can get rich in the process.

If we can pool our money together we can hire the best lawyers, and they in turn can make a fortune.

Great publicity too.

If we have a case, yes. If we have no case, why bother?

Hey....maybe we could hire John Edwards. Somebody, give him a call.

disciple
01-11-2008, 01:47 PM
If we have a case, yes. If we have no case, why bother?

Hey....maybe we could hire John Edwards. Somebody, give him a call.

We won't find out untill we try, correct?

And no, no John Edwards:confused:

Original_Intent
01-11-2008, 01:49 PM
We don't need to pool our money. If a firm like Marler Clark goes after Fox, they will work for a cut of the pie. A big cut, to be sure, but I am not in it for the money, I just want to see justice done. If this proceeds I seriously would expect Marler Clark will take half or more of any settlement.

At this point I am just interested to see if we have a case. I feel that we do but I am no lawyer.

Deborah K
01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
http://alternet.org/blogs/democracy/#73083Does this bother anyone else as much as it bothers me??? The same guy is seen at TWO different focus groups after the debates.

I thought they were pulling from people who lived in the areas??

disciple
01-11-2008, 01:58 PM
We don't need to pool our money. If a firm like Marler Clark goes after Fox, they will work for a cut of the pie. A big cut, to be sure, but I am not in it for the money, I just want to see justice done. If this proceeds I seriously would expect Marler Clark will take half or more of any settlement.

At this point I am just interested to see if we have a case. I feel that we do but I am no lawyer.

Any brave lawyer who will take up against Fox news can definitely make a fortune.

And it is not the money, it's the principle.

And we all know how much those whores have cost the taxpayers in lives and money through their lies and distortions.

snaFU
01-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Lol, would all RP supporters get money if we won!??!?

jumpyg1258
01-11-2008, 02:03 PM
I'd like to see the following headline in the News:

"Ron paul supporters sue Fox news"

More accurate headline the news outlets would produce would look like this...

"Mentally Unstable Ron Paul Supporters Sue Fair and Balanced News Network"

JonathanR
01-11-2008, 02:03 PM
I have often wondered about the legality of using a knowingly stacked focus group and claiming that they are impartial. Is that not some sort of fraud?

disciple
01-11-2008, 02:06 PM
I have often wondered about the legality of using a knowingly stacked focus group and claiming that they are impartial. Is that not some sort of fraud?

A good lawyer should be able to uncover a lot of dirt when it comes to Fox News. This is the easy part.

jmbrewr
01-11-2008, 02:08 PM
unfortunately suing Fox for fraud would ultimately go against the Ron Paul message. Paul's message is about individual liberty (to live you life as you choose and to say whatever you wish to say). However according to the patriot act Fox could be labeled a terrorist organization. Every news story is started with "Fox news alert". This in and of itself puts people in a state of fear, which could certainly be equated with terrorizing people. Under the Patriot act this would be defined as an act of terror and could ultimately label those responsible as an enemy combatant.

Quantumystic
01-11-2008, 02:09 PM
This is a very BAD idea.

The SMART idea is to focus on exposing local FOX affiliates and their advertising sponsors to as much video evidence of FOX News/NewsCorp's bias and inappropriate conduct as possible. Then politely explain the position that:

We believe many people simply haven't been made aware of FOX's outrageous behavior, otherwise they would cease all support for such unAmerican and unDemocratic conduct.

We feel it is our responsibility to ensure that as many people as possible do become aware of Fox's practices, and denounce them as publicly as possible. And likewise, anyone who knowingly supports such practices is someone that we cannot justify empowering or supporting with our business patronage.

It is our strong desire and intention to make sure this is drawn to the attention of EVERY business that advertises on FOX News/NewsCorps, as well as EVERY business that advertises on local FOX affiliates.

It is our intention to encourage in the strongest possible terms EVERY local FOX affiliate to very publicly denounce FOX News/NewsCorps' practices in this respect daily on air and on their websites until such time as FOX News/NewsCorp issues a public appology by Rupert Murdoch along with a promise to never pursue such practices again.

It is further our intention to likewise encourage EVERY local FOX affiliate advertiser to strongly encourage the local station they advertise on do this, under the final penalty of pulling ALL advertising from that station should they fail to undertake such denouncements.

Should any local advertisers decide not to pursue this course of action, we will no other logical conclusion to arrive at other than they support these practices on the part of FOX NewsCorp. In which case, our response will be to strongly encourage the local public to not support those businesses with their patronage via a massive public relations campaign

We hope such actions will prove unnecessary, as we would like to believe ALL our local business owners are responsible patriotic American Citizens invested in protecting Democracy and fair practices.

We eagerly look forward to your support in this effort.

HUNDREDS of letters similar to this sent to EVERY FOX affiliate, as well as many of the local advertisers of affiliates, and to FOX News/NewsCorp Executive Management so they can get a sense of HOW badly we intend to screw them should make a serious impression. Followed up by phone cals one week later.

mokkan88
01-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Sue them for what? Even lying scumbags have first amendment rights.

Actually, they don't. They have the right to report, as press, but they do not have the right to treat speculation as fact. That's manipulation and misinformation.

jumpyg1258
01-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Actually, they don't. They have the right to report, as press, but they do not have the right to treat speculation as fact. That's manipulation and misinformation.

Actually if I remember right, a long time ago Fox sued for the right to be able to say whatever they like on the TV including known lies and won their case. Sorry I dont have any links to back this up, I just remember hearing about it a long time ago.

gracebkr
01-11-2008, 02:15 PM

$=longer campaign. It should go to the Campaign or grassroots effort

disciple
01-11-2008, 02:15 PM
We can do both.

disciple
01-11-2008, 02:17 PM
The good Doctor is fighting for the people, can't we the people fight for his good name in return?

gracebkr
01-11-2008, 02:19 PM
This is a very BAD idea.

The SMART idea is to focus on exposing local FOX affiliates and their advertising sponsors to as much video evidence of FOX News/NewsCorp's bias and inappropriate conduct as possible. Then politely explain the position that:

We believe many people simply haven't been made aware of FOX's outrageous behavior, otherwise they would cease all support for such unAmerican and unDemocratic conduct.

We feel it is our responsibility to ensure that as many people as possible do become aware of Fox's practices, and denounce them as publicly as possible. And likewise, anyone who knowingly supports such practices is someone that we cannot justify empowering or supporting with our business patronage.

It is our strong desire and intention to make sure this is drawn to the attention of EVERY business that advertises on FOX News/NewsCorps, as well as EVERY business that advertises on local FOX affiliates.

It is our intention to encourage in the strongest possible terms EVERY local FOX affiliate to very publicly denounce FOX News/NewsCorps' practices in this respect daily on air and on their websites until such time as FOX News/NewsCorp issues a public appology by Rupert Murdoch along with a promise to never pursue such practices again.

It is further our intention to likewise encourage EVERY local FOX affiliate advertiser to strongly encourage the local station they advertise on do this, under the final penalty of pulling ALL advertising from that station should they fail to undertake such denouncements.

Should any local advertisers decide not to pursue this course of action, we will no other logical conclusion to arrive at other than they support these practices on the part of FOX NewsCorp. In which case, our response will be to strongly encourage the local public to not support those businesses with their patronage via a massive public relations campaign

We hope such actions will prove unnecessary, as we would like to believe ALL our local business owners are responsible patriotic American Citizens invested in protecting Democracy and fair practices.

We eagerly look forward to your support in this effort.

HUNDREDS of letters similar to this sent to EVERY FOX affiliate, as well as many of the local advertisers of affiliates, and to FOX News/NewsCorp Executive Management so they can get a sense of HOW badly we intend to screw them should make a serious impression. Followed up by phone cals one week later.

I think we all need to just do whatever. I mean, it can't hurt. You do this someone else does something. Attacking from all angles is good. Everyone should get on board with what they want. We shouldn't be telling people what is more effective and NOT to do something else. We should give constructive criticism. I think hey, if you boycott, I am too, this person starts a lawsuit and another does a blimp, someone else pickets, I mean we are everywhere and we all need to stck together on all ideas, but do our own thing.

disciple
01-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Exactly, attack on all fronts, this is a war and they started it.

disciple
01-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Even if a lawsuit did not go anywhere, we can still benefit from the publicity and the buzz; and maybe next time they'll think twice.

crink
01-11-2008, 02:34 PM
By all means sue the bastards! They deserve it for misinformation, and if you can find a good video probably slander.

This could make the campaign alot of money and publicity!

JeffersonThomas
01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Actually if I remember right, a long time ago Fox sued for the right to be able to say whatever they like on the TV including known lies and won their case. Sorry I dont have any links to back this up, I just remember hearing about it a long time ago.

Yeah, I remember reading about this too. I believe Fox got off on a technicality. Apparently their documentation shows them as an "Entertainment" Business so therefore anything they say is legally for entertainment purposes only. IE: Watching Fox news is the legal equivalent to watching a movie.

I certainly do NOT agree with this decision so I hope we can find something to get fox on. Count me in if we can come up with anything.

limequat
01-11-2008, 02:48 PM
False Advertising? "Fair and Balanced" is a laughable joke.

Catatonic
01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
unfortunately suing Fox for fraud would ultimately go against the Ron Paul message. Paul's message is about individual liberty (to live you life as you choose and to say whatever you wish to say). However according to the patriot act Fox could be labeled a terrorist organization. Every news story is started with "Fox news alert". This in and of itself puts people in a state of fear, which could certainly be equated with terrorizing people. Under the Patriot act this would be defined as an act of terror and could ultimately label those responsible as an enemy combatant.

You could argue that lieing to and misleading the american people with propoganda is treason, which is not protected under the Constitution.

Thomas Paine
01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
You could argue that lieing to and misleading the american people with propoganda is treason, which is not protected under the Constitution.

I think how Fox News is covering this campaign is pure bullshit and I am a lifelong conservative, executive member of a GOP county organization, former elected GOP public official, etc. However, there is simply no basis for a lawsuit against Fox News for their slanted coverage regarding Ron Paul. Instead, we must fight them with alternative coverage and news, which we can deliver via non-traditional media (internet) and traditional media (newspapers).

This is what the First Amendment was intended to foster: a free market of ideas and news provided by anyone. In the end, the public will judge which ideas and news are more worthy than others. I believe the ideas and news expounded by Ron Paul supporters and similar minded individuals will defeat any ideas and news expounded by Fox News in the public marketplace.

Quantumystic
01-11-2008, 04:38 PM

Highly doubtful.

"Treason" was specifically defined by the Founding Fathers to be very difficult to prove. Among other things, to convict based upon a charge of Treason, one must be capable of proving "beyond a reasonable shadow of a doubt" that such actions have indeed "given aid and/or comfort to the enemy".

Which requires clearly establishing the existence of the "enemy", and upon which basis they are justly accused as "enemies" of the United States.

To prove in a court of law that FOX News/NewsCorp has undeniably provided aid and/or comfort to an enemy would be virtually impossible. That is why suing them is a failing proposition.

Lying, in general, is not a punishable crime.

A lawsuit will fail, and invite further attacks and ridicule.

A grassroots campaign/boycott, otoh, will do untold damage where it really counts... in the checkbook.

jmbrewr
01-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Stop Pulling Your Sister's Hair!!!
Lol

painter4Ron Paul
01-13-2008, 08:15 PM
okey dokkey

bcreps85
01-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Well, it would be nice, but there are two problems. First, we must still attempt to overcome and win this election, and therefore even if this were possible we'd have to put it on the backburner. Secondly, I don't believe we have anything to sue them for. We should in my opinion, but my understanding on the basis of law is that the courts have ruled that the news can misrepresent information for their own personal gain in the past...

DrCap
01-13-2008, 10:42 PM
It might be better to hold tight with any lawsuits, hopefully we gain more momentum and then fox comes out with bold slander, which would be a much better target for a legal action. Don't fire until you see the red of their eyes!
btw I emailed my local affiliate a long time again after calling them, they seemed annoyed and happy to pass the blame on to foxnews, and I have clearly voted with my feet in that fox won't get viewership in my house, but God CNN sucks too!

fmontez
01-13-2008, 10:45 PM

Great publicity too.

And YOU want to vote for Ron Paul? LOL...

jmbrewr
01-14-2008, 01:32 AM
As I alluded to in my earlier post: it would be counter-productive to innitiate a lawsuit against Fox especially at this time. You would be suing a mult-billion dollar corporation that has more lawyers than you can even begin to imagine. The end best result would be a retraction but you can bet that the repercussions would hurt the Paul campaign. The only way to beat Fox is to use what they say against them, not out of revenge but by using logic. An major economic correction will take place before the end of the year and FOX has been side-stepping and butter-coating it as Ron Paul has been warning about it. The only candidate that has a solution is Ron Paul. Although there is a huge alternative scenario that I wish to not even think about at this time. I know that a lawsuit is not the best course of action to take at this time.