PDA

View Full Version : How about a REAL Debate????

SrA_Brown
01-11-2008, 10:39 AM
I think everyone can agree that these debates are all crap. From the format, to the moderators, to the randomly enforced time limits. They’re more like sound byte competition sessions, and nobody is getting anywhere because they’re all saying either the same thing or nothing at all. When someone actually starts to debate the over-riding issues such as foreign policy, they are ridiculed, mocked, jeered and childishly laughed at. I think part of the problem is the format of these “debates.” So here’s an idea:

How about a REAL debate?
I don’t mean like what we’ve been seeing. More like what goes on in colleges and high school classes all over the country. It’s obvious that Paul is the only well-read scholar in the group. I think if they had a strictly formatted, back and forth debate over just foreign policy, Dr. Paul would tear the competition apart. Candidates would be required to back up their arguments with documentation and evidence, and would not be able to rely on quips, jokes, and well planned PC rhetoric. Here’s what Wikipedia says about it:

Policy Debate is a style of debating where two teams of two debaters advocate or oppose a plan derived from a resolution that usually calls for a change in policy by a government. Teams normally alternate, and compete in rounds as either "affirmative" or "negative". In most forms of the activity, there is a fixed topic for an entire year or another set period. In comparison to parliamentary debate, policy debate relies more on researched evidence and tends to have a larger sphere of what is considered legitimate argument, including counterplans, critical theory, and debate about the theoretical standards of the activity itself. While rhetoric is important and reflected in the "speaker points" given to each debater, each round is usually decided based on who has "won" the argument according to the evidence and logic presented. Sometimes decisions can take a substantial amount of time with judges reviewing the textual evidence. Additionally, in certain segments of the activity, debaters may speak very rapidly, in order to present as much evidence and information as possible and counter the other side.

I suggest that Ron Paul challenge either Mitt Romney or John McCain to a substantive, meaningful, focused debate on foreign policy. It could be moderated by truly independent academics, not Fox News anchors. It would be regimented in advance so there would be no question about when a candidate can say what and for how long. I think it would shed a lot of light on the issue for the American Public.

What do you guys think?

Nyte
01-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Awesome.

But something like this wouldn't get ratings. :rolleyes:

The sheep like their soundbytes. They want to be entertained.

Shii
01-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Romney and McCain wouldn't accept that because they are too proud. They think Ron Paul is unimportant and they want the neocons to think they are "serious".

I would like to see this though:

http://angryflower.com/paulvk.gif

SrA_Brown
01-11-2008, 10:46 AM
They could air it on PBS or something but then we could pull revealing clips out that shed light on the ignorance of romney or mccain. I think it would be plenty entertaining. But, I definitely know what you mean.

randomname
01-11-2008, 10:52 AM
It is not like any major news network is going to pick that up at this point, with Paul still polling in single digits anyway.

SrA_Brown
01-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I think it probably wouldn't get picked up, but if Paul would challenge, perhaps Romney would respond. And you know MSM will air anything Romney does. So vicarious exposure.

SeanEdwards
01-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Paul should announce to the media that he has an important announcement. The media will think he is dropping out, or announcing a third party bid. Wait till the media is broadcasting it live, and then Ron comes out and offers an open challenge to anyone, Republican or Democrat to join him for a real substantive debate. Ron could make it a kind of dare to the other candidates, dare them to talk about real issues that are important to the voters, instead of the 30 second platitude sound bites that the media prefers.

SrA_Brown
01-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Now, THAT'S what I'm talking about. Brilliant twist too!

Jason726
01-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Paul should announce to the media that he has an important announcement. The media will think he is dropping out, or announcing a third party bid. Wait till the media is broadcasting it live, and then Ron comes out and offers an open challenge to anyone, Republican or Democrat to join him for a real substantive debate. Ron could make it a kind of dare to the other candidates, dare them to talk about real issues that are important to the voters, instead of the 30 second platitude sound bites that the media prefers.

Thinking about RP being on every MSM station live and challenging all the candidates to a real debate like that gave me chills. Good idea....

Kingfisher
01-11-2008, 12:04 PM
It wouldnt hurt for R.P. to throw out a challenge!

Nyte
01-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Great idea!

Deborah K
01-11-2008, 01:00 PM

Send this to HQ http://www.ronpaul2008.com/contact/

Todd
01-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Great Idea but
1. No one would ever agree to this...they like their soundbites.
2. Debates are a farce in national politics.

A debate more closely resembles the fool with the applause sign in the Kings court.

ClayTrainor
01-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Great Idea but
1. No one would ever agree to this...they like their soundbites.
2. Debates are a farce in national politics.

A debate more closely resembles the fool with the applause sign in the Kings court.

It wouldn't be a farce with Dr. Paul i don't think. He takes foreign policy very seriously, and he'd get alot of attention on it. It might be a bit of a farce only because paul will absolutely destroy whoever his competition is.

Im not sure if anyone would agree to this either, but how would they look if Ron called them out during a debate, and they just refuse... that'd still make ron paul look good.

I hope ron challenges one of the neo-cons flatout!

I hope it's giuliani so we can steal his florida delegates!

Young_Apprentice
01-11-2008, 01:12 PM
This is RP in a real debate.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2_eA1NWiwMQ
Those other losers on stage last night wouldn't have a chance vs. RP in a real debate.

Iwantchange
01-11-2008, 01:16 PM
It would be nice, wouldn't it?

Todd
01-11-2008, 01:17 PM
It wouldn't be a farce with Dr. Paul i don't think. He takes foreign policy very seriously, and he'd get alot of attention on it. It might be a bit of a farce only because paul will absolutely destroy whoever his competition is.

Im not sure if anyone would agree to this either, but how would they look if Ron called them out during a debate, and they just refuse... that'd still make ron paul look good.

I hope ron challenges one of the neo-cons flatout!

I hope it's giuliani so we can steal his florida delegates!

I'm just saying I don't think anyone gets a real fair shot in any national debates. If it isn't a soundbite "I don't want to trade with Al Qaida Burkas"...then few are listening.