PDA

View Full Version : Will your view of the Media ever be the same again?

RonPaulFTFW
01-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I use to be very into protests and protest movements when I was younger, so a lot of the media distortions and lies don't really surprise me. When you learn about people like Mumia Abu-Jama and Lenord Pelter, or even the things that our government did to the Native Americans and A.I.M. in the 70s, it's not hard to imagine what the system will do to shut down those who do not agree with it.

It's nothing new to me but the way media distortions/smears/lies are becoming the only real debate while the issues are ignored is pretty staggering.

The extent to which our information is controlled is also shocking.

I've read a lot of Choamsky and Zinn. They warn about the propaganda machine and controlling the "great beast" of public opinion (that's us folks!) but seeing it in action against Ron Paul has really energized me to fight.

What about the rest of you?
Were you are of the propaganda machine before? Does it shock you now?

Paulitician
01-11-2008, 10:49 AM
I've been aware that media does a lousy job at informing the citizenry, but until I learned about Ron Paul and when I started reading up on politics and the media, that's when I realized just how horrid and malicious they really are. I'll most likely never trust cable news, but there's stuff on the internet, radio and even some local stuff that I can depend on.

Apparition
01-11-2008, 10:53 AM
I just unsubscribed to my cable TV service.. I'm going to miss the stupid shows, but I'm not going to pay for that crap anymore. All the information I need is in books and via the internet.

I can find other forms of entertainment.. and all of the good shows come out on DVD anyway.

RonPaulFTFW
01-11-2008, 10:57 AM
I just unsubscribed to my cable TV service.. I'm going to miss the stupid shows, but I'm not going to pay for that crap anymore. All the information I need is in books and via the internet.

I can find other forms of entertainment.. and all of the good shows come out on DVD anyway.

Good for you.
I've done the same.

shida
01-11-2008, 10:58 AM

Try this website. Lots of good documentaries, AND stupid shows. :)

http://powerflv.nabolister.com/

TSOL
01-11-2008, 10:59 AM
I've been aware that media does a lousy job at informing the citizenry, but until I learned about Ron Paul and when I started reading up on politics and the media, that's when I realized just how horrid and malicious they really are. I'll most likely never trust cable news, but there's stuff on the internet, radio and even some local stuff that I can depend on.

Ditto that.

PaultheSaint
01-11-2008, 11:03 AM
I haven't had cable in over 2 years :)

and don't miss it.

disciple
01-11-2008, 11:03 AM
I think little by little, more people, who were in the dark before, are now waking up to the fact that they have been fed lies and distortions for God knows how long.

And the lesson that can be drawn from this is to question everything and to not believe everything you hear even if it comes from your closest friends, your own parents, your pastor, and your Church. For deceptions and lies have been with man from day one.

rollingpig
01-11-2008, 11:04 AM
one of RP's goals is to educate the brain washed sheeple with his message, he's certainly done that

Apparition
01-11-2008, 11:12 AM

wow.. that's an awesome link. much thanks.
i've been gearing up for IP TV and the like.. and this just makes it that much easier.

sporting events are still best viewed in the bar atmosphere in my opinion. =)

rpfreedom08
01-11-2008, 11:14 AM
I win never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever watch the news again in the same way, I also will do my best to watch as little news from them as possible. I've already dropped my support for any of their sponsors so the next step is to just stop watching all together and really I only watch maybe an hour of the news a week now.....at the most.

tommy7154
01-11-2008, 11:40 AM
posted this somewhere else and will post it again...I used to watch FOX news and all the other msm and frankly thought people like us were a little kooky. FOX, CNN...that's the NEWS I thought. That was REALITY. Surely they aren't biased, they're simply reporting the news as it happens, right??

Thank "god" for Ron Paul and for the internet. My eyes are now wide open and I realize that what I thought was far from the truth. I actually feel as if I was brainwashed, and it pisses me off to no end. I was never told the TRUTH, I was only force fed what they wanted me to believe.

Also, let me make it clear that Ron Paul may be ahead of his time, but his message is getting out. He has been a big part in opening my eyes to politics and to the world in general. If there was any justice in this world, Ron Paul would go down in history as the new “founding father” of this country. The man who started the revolution to restore the Constitution. The man who brought respect back to this once great nation. The man who gave us back our freedoms. The man who gave this country back to THE PEOPLE to whom it belongs!

So thank you Dr Paul for opening my eyes. Thank you for standing up for what you believe in. Thank you for giving a voice to the true patriots of this country. Thank you for giving us all hope for a better future. You are my hero.

mongoose
01-11-2008, 11:43 AM
VERY good article on this here: http://www.newrichmond-news.com/articles/index.cfm?id=19592&section=Opinion

Computer
01-11-2008, 11:45 AM
When Fox News first aired, I thought, great, a conservative viewpoint. Now I loathe the network.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-11-2008, 11:46 AM
The extent to which our information is controlled is also shocking.

I always figured they "shaped things" in some form. But, I've never seen such widespread lies and misrepresentations... all in unison.

Half the time, it's like they all have talking points. I don't think they do... I just think they borrow smears and approaches from each other. But, wow. No, I'll never look at them the same again.

I'm starting to worry about my children. Their father may be rambling on about media manipulation for the rest of his life.

ItsTime
01-11-2008, 11:46 AM
I will never view the news the same way. I am not a truther... but the way things have happened to this campaign it makes me want to ask a whole lot of questions.

paulgeek
01-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Most of us have realized the illusion that Fox News placed before us and have accepted that we were duped. For the most part the RP supporters are very reasonable people and are a bit upset. I can't imagine what might happen when the average dumb American realizes Fox News has lied to them. Then again, given the average dumb American it will never happen.

Sey.Naci
01-11-2008, 11:53 AM

I can find other forms of entertainment.. and all of the good shows come out on DVD anyway.Congratulations on kicking the habit. Taking in what is put out by the MSM is more toxic than using tobacco, alcohol and drugs combined.

RonPaulFTFW
01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
posted this somewhere else and will post it again...I used to watch FOX news and all the other msm and frankly thought people like us were a little kooky. FOX, CNN...that's the NEWS I thought. That was REALITY. Surely they aren't biased, they're simply reporting the news as it happens, right??

Thank "god" for Ron Paul and for the internet. My eyes are now wide open and I realize that what I thought was far from the truth. I actually feel as if I was brainwashed, and it pisses me off to no end. I was never told the TRUTH, I was only force fed what they wanted me to believe.

Also, let me make it clear that Ron Paul may be ahead of his time, but his message is getting out. He has been a big part in opening my eyes to politics and to the world in general. If there was any justice in this world, Ron Paul would go down in history as the new “founding father” of this country. The man who started the revolution to restore the Constitution. The man who brought respect back to this once great nation. The man who gave us back our freedoms. The man who gave this country back to THE PEOPLE to whom it belongs!

So thank you Dr Paul for opening my eyes. Thank you for standing up for what you believe in. Thank you for giving a voice to the true patriots of this country. Thank you for giving us all hope for a better future. You are my hero.

Good to hear it.

Peace&Freedom
01-11-2008, 12:35 PM
I was already aware of how the media operates (to block alternative voices) as a LP activist going back to the Harry Browne days, where I saw them "Browne-out" a popular internet candidate from regular coverage first hand. What's different now is the intensity of the attack on Paul, perhaps because he broke through their containment wall by running on the GOP line.

A lot more people will be exiting as regular TV watchers based on this experience. What this portends for next year, when the switch is made to HDTV, is a MASSIVE fall off of viewers who WILL NOT adopt the new system as it comes on. Most of these TV less folks will be the internet-informed population who will get their news online, and rent/download videos for entertainment as needed.

Matt Collins
01-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah - I knew the media was a sham but now I am getting to see firsthand how bad it REALLY is.

We are also getting to find out who is a real conservative and who is a whore.

Rebel Resource
01-11-2008, 12:44 PM

This one too: http://rebelresource.wordpress.com

RPDelegate
01-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I stopped believing in MSM about a year after 911 took place. I'm not a full blown 911 Truther, but I do believe there were lies and coverups here and there. And MSM did everything needed to assist in the lies and coverups. This republican nomination that has been going on for a year, is another great example of MSM trying to control the masses, stirring people away from some candidates, and pointing them toward others on a daily basis.

Ever notice how MSM only does this with RP? They never really focused too much energy on bashing the other candidates that have dropped out. They only focus on the one that scares them I guess. The one they see as a threat to the way they do business.

RonPaulFTFW
01-12-2008, 02:58 PM
awesome.

nike
01-12-2008, 03:18 PM
I currently have DishTV just to get Free Speech TV. Its independent news which many conservatives will find tends to be on the liberal side but its still an independent news source. I also read therudepundit.com, bradblog.com, crooksandliars.com and Americablog.org for news. FOX Noise is the worst of the cable news programs and has been from the beginning.

5 corporations own 85% of the media in this country, including tv, cable, movies, magazines, newspapers, music, book publishers, internet services and so on. Viacom/CBS/Westinghouse and General Electric/NBC both have lucrative military contracts, do you really think they are going to produce anti-war articles with the media they own?

The media are as liberal as the neocons who own them.

Think about it

tsopranos
01-12-2008, 03:26 PM
This one too: http://rebelresource.wordpress.com

Here's another...
http://bestdocumentaries.blogspot.com/

RSLudlum
01-12-2008, 03:29 PM
never really knew just how nasty the media is and many people that i've told Ron Paul about now are realizing it too. I've gotten a few responses from family members and friends admitting their own ignorance....The peoples' eyes are slowing opening!!!

braumstr
01-12-2008, 03:31 PM
lots of lies.

ihsv
01-12-2008, 04:54 PM
We turned off our TV in 1984.

The first time since then I turned on the set to see anything was when 9-11 occurred. I remember Faux Noise interviewing some retired army colonel about what happened and how this event has "changed America forever." The colonel was adamant about how we should NEVER be required to give up our civil liberties in order to "be safe". All of a sudden, the commentator (I believe it might have even been Brit Hume) said "Sorry, Colonel, but senator so and so is on the line with us, we're going to talk to him for a minute and we'll get right back with you". The senator was interviewed, but the colonel was never heard from again.

The second time I turned it on was when we invaded Iraq. I remember them broadcasting a LIVE piece showing iraqis jumping up and down for joy at being "liberated". It was broad daylight in the shot, and people were all over the street. I remember quite clearly realizing that it was 3:00 AM in Iraq at the time this "live piece" was being shown. There was no way it was live, since it should have been the dead of night there.

Those were my two brief experiences with TV since we shut it off 24 years ago. I'm glad I don't watch it.

WilliamC
01-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Haven't watched broadcast or cable TV in years. Whenever I do see it now it all looks so fake. People really are brainwashed by the idiot tube.

brutus1
01-12-2008, 05:14 PM
I think I may one of few on this board that always thought the media to be biased, but not in such a way that would literally mold and shape the information that was being delivered to me. I knew the media spun a lot of things, but it seems to be a lot more evident and so much more distrustful than before when I use to watch CNN, CBS, ABC, and FoxNews so adamantly because I thought they were delivering the truth. After the joining the Ron Paul movement, I can see how disgusting they are for showing who they really are for distorting Ron Paul.

I can't say the same for the the media corporations affiliates because I haven't seen much bias there in the content, but in the cable news channels programs, there certainly is with editing and correspondents telling whatever they have.

I have unsubscribed to my cable, and have just relied on watching ABC World News Tonight, but even that is a push since I like Jake Tapper on there for his sympathy of Ron Paul. I can't watch the Sunday political bullshit anymore though.

I'm just relying on newspapers, magazines (I subscribed to TNR after this debacle as well), books, and the internet for my media with a skeptical eye and analyzing all viewpoints to understand it fully. I wish everyone was like this, but they aren't sadly.

Nicketas
01-12-2008, 05:16 PM
xxxx

AFTFNJ
01-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Us truthers knew what MSM was from before no surprises.

nosebruise
01-12-2008, 06:30 PM
TV has already been on its way out. It's really just the evolution of technology. Radio killed the newspaper, TV killed Radio, Internet will kill TV. (as the public's primary source of information)

I used to watch TV constantly when I was younger. But maybe around when i got into college i grew pretty disenchanted with it, and eventually stopped watching it altogether, and used the internet more often instead. and i know a lot of people who did the same.

The TV I own is only used for DVDs/games/etc. It doesnt actually recieve any sort of broadcast, neither cable nor airwaves.

The only way for them to survive in the long run is to integrate their broadcasts with the internet as a lot of us are starting to see with Networks putting episodes of shows up to stream from their websites.

and as far as the media question goes, i knew it was biased in some regard... its only natural, as the backbone of the media is human, and humans are flawed and many times corrupt. but i didnt really look at it too hard because it was what it was.

but i gotta say, after watching the stuff with ron paul unfold before my eyes. its become very apparent what lengths will be taken. ron paul's candidacy is a fluke, and a threatening one. they dont know how to react to it, because it was so sudden, and they rely on their grip on public opinion. their usual tactics aren't working quite as well as usual because after ron got a good portion of public to slip away from the grip momentarily, their tactics are very obvious when seen from another viewpoint, and ron has enough support to show that to a LOT of people, and their grip is getting smaller and smaller due to the fast, uncontrollable flow of information on the internet.

TV and the media's control over it is dying. Freedom of information is coming back to the people. We are starving for freedom again, and Ron Paul's "revolution" is just an extention of that.

Detonator
01-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I never had faith in the government or media for telling the truth.

Marc3579
01-12-2008, 06:46 PM
I've not really looked at the media and thought they weren't skewed one way or another. So, no my outlook upon the media won't be changed after this election. I've doubted them since Ruby Ridge and other events that followed that fateful event.

alexa doherty
01-12-2008, 08:31 PM
I currently have DishTV just to get Free Speech TV.

I think Dish was bought by directv. Newscorp owns directv.

That channel you talk about used to be called, "link tv". It's an utlra marxist channel that hates and smears anything caucasion. At the same time it never exposes the khazars in the fed reserve, in the media and in hollywood.

It's a false opppostition.

alexa doherty
01-12-2008, 08:34 PM
I stopped paying for TV years ago (pre-youtube), and every few months or so I'd "check in" to see If I missed anything.

One thing I immediately noticed is that media intelligence dropped dramatically in even just that time period of a few months.

So I did a test and continued to only watch tv once every three months, during which I would watch for a few hours and be sure to flip to every channel.

Sure enough, it got worse and worse and worse, with the OCCASIONAL worthy gem or two of wisdom here and there.

I knew the media was a sham, but lately the tactics they use are sub-primate on a good day.

There isn't a tv show worth watching anymore.

Books, video games, and youtube (to keep tabs on the zeitgeist & the collective human spirit) are the way to go.

By the way, the media wants to give you the appearance that most people are stupid and brainless. This is simply not true, but rather, THAT IS HOW THE MEDIA VIEWS *US*.

People are waking up more and more. It takes effort and time, yet it really is happening, just watch.

Best post so far

Marty York
01-12-2008, 08:47 PM
No..this has been eye-opening. It feels llke the Chicago convention of 68

RevolutionSD
01-12-2008, 09:12 PM
I think it's safe to say we're all STARVING for iTV (internet TV). It's in the works and I read an article about it in BusinessWeek (yet another CFR-run pub).
The problem is there are several aspects to the technology that have to work together to make it work. I'm not sure exactly what, but I imagine different connections and things. Or maybe the BW article was just B.S., but the bottom line is iTV WILL be a reality sooner or later.

Hopefully sooner!

Mandrik
01-12-2008, 09:15 PM
I have cable, but I work for Comcast. It's free. I barely watch it, though.

I was never really a part of the propaganda machine. I just didn't know what the alternative was until I heard RP speak. I work nights, and I used to take a break at 6:30PM to watch the first 15 minutes of the NBC Nightly News. I took what they said with a grain of salt. Now I don't even care about any news channels. The only time I watch them is when someone uploads a YouTube clip with RP on a station.

smtwngrl
01-12-2008, 10:13 PM
I've known for years that there were some things I would never read about in the MSM, and that there were a lot of distortions. Like when you listen to what is being said, or read, and then try to guess from what is being said what the real story is. And BTW, I've mainly gotten my news on the internet for years, from Yahoo News+ alternate media sources.

But my perspective of the media has changed in one aspect with this election cycle. I am astounded at...and angered by....the arrogance of the media, in thinking that they have the right to choose who our next president will be, or who the nominee will be. It is like they want to take away the voice of the people, and sway them to vote for whoever they decide to build up.

And I don't mean to lump everyone in the same category. Some are worse than others (Fox being, of course, the worst). And not all pundits are bad. Some are actually decent.

But in general, it seems that there is not a lot that the media won't stoop to.

hopeful
01-12-2008, 10:40 PM
PBS seems to be fair on reporting.....not sure if we can consider them MSM

If it wasn't for sports, I'd cancel cable also

alexa doherty
01-13-2008, 12:52 AM
PBS seems to be fair on reporting.....not sure if we can consider them MSM

If it wasn't for sports, I'd cancel cable also

Oh yeah like pro sports isn't corrupt. lol nba refs. felon football players, rape, beating their wives. Weaklings who need Steroids, Wow, what a country. Pro sports is the biggest crock. Same with ncaa.

Xyrus2
01-13-2008, 11:53 PM
I haven't had cable, by choice, for almost ten years now. I don't really miss it.

Instead, I have a FiOS line which provides me info from all over the planet. It's quite eye opening when you see us from others perspectives. :)

~X~