PDA

View Full Version : What Ron Needs to do, and not do

cheapgunpartscom
01-11-2008, 09:21 AM
First, let me say that I have worked in major market radio for over 25 years, and I am an expert on is how to present yourself to the public to gain there favor. (I have never had anything less than top 3 ratings in my demos anytime in my career)
So here are my observations from last night (SC) on Ron:

1) He needs to get (or find a better one) a hearing aid. He came off looking terrible when he said he could not hear the questions (while the other politicians had no trouble). I don't know if FOX was having them wear ear pieces and his was defective (surprise!), but he came off in that segment looking like a befuddled old uncle instead of the extremely sharp politician he is.

2) He needs to SLOW DOWN and THINK about what he is saying. He seemed to be rushing way to much with his answers, and his thoughts at times seemed to drift all over the place. Like his answer about the speed boats attacking the destroyer. He needed to be slow and precise and say that the officers did there jobs well, and THEN pause and go into the area of how our leaders are looking at an incident like this to have an excuse to invade Iran and other parts of the mid east. His message was good, but the presentation was terrible. Thompson on the other hand was slow and precise, well thought out, and EFFECTIVE. This is what ron needs more of. Maybe a public speaking coach would help.

3) Having a 60 second dramatic paid commercial in the debate show commercial break would have been killer. it is too bad there was not one as the WHOLE COUNTRY WAS WATCHING.

4) Make up....the TV lens is not kind, and the lens will make a person who looks old and tired look almost like a monster, while a good make-up artist can do subtle things to make you look young and robust to the TV lens. I am sure that happened whith Thompson. He looked great (compared to what he normally looks like).

5) When the other guys are going on a post coverage show..MAKE DAMM SURE YOU ARE THERE TOO. That relaxed setting is the perfect place to get votes. This would have been the perfect place for him to ask if FOX was skewing the little 20 person focus group they were showing, when at the same time, the TV text mail response was showing Ron had WON the debate by over 30%. Not being there to ask these questions and stand up to the H&C people was a BIG Mistake.
Now..on to what he did good!

1) When the idiot asked the question about the 911 plot fans, Ron handled it pretty well (though he should have pointed out this in actually only a handfull of crazies, and he is sure Romney has just as many or many of crazies in his camp (sister-wife???)..just as Fred Thompson most likely has a few fans that think everything that happens in his movies REALLY DOES HAPPEN....and then ask why the commentator singles him out? Asking a question is the best defense against stupid questions like this. But for Ron to demand that he be allowed to talk about the same issues that others had been for the last 30 minutes, instead of answering that belittling question, was a super response. I have been waiting for a long time to see Ron get pissed at this clown show that the news people keep creating, and I was happy he finally stood up for himself.

2) Rons response to the question about if he should even be in the debate or a republican candidate was amazing. THIS slow, well thought out defense was the best thing I have even seen to come out of ron paul's mouth!

3) His responses to the questions late in the debate were top notch. Most people do not understand what our leaders are doing with the economy. The most important rule any radio or tv broadcaster (who is successful) must follow is KEEP EVERYTHING AT A 3RD GRADE LEVEL. 90% of the population do not read books, do not watch the news, do not invest there money anywhere but a tin can or bank savings account, BUT THEY ALL VOTE. His explaination about us borrowing money from china to buy weapons to give to our friends enemies, and how the war is Iraq is going to brake the economy was put in SLOW...WELL THOUGHT OUT ...SIMPLE terms that any american (no matter what his or her education level is) could understand. And this was top notch.

4) ron needs to make more use of the polls (like the text message one last night) and the internet polls. People tend to vote NOT for the person who is the best candidate, but the person who THEY THINK WILL WIN (yes, americans are lemmings). So while huckabee says he is leading in Alabama while the acual internet polls show Ron has OVER 50% of the republicans suporting him needs to be pushed.

I honestly think that Ron can win. But he must continue to push these points.

-Bob Martin

qh4dotcom
01-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I agree with you that he needs to slow down...however don't forget that all candidates have 30 seconds, a minute or two to speak...so pausing and speaking slowly may cause them to not say everything they want to say.

I didn't see any commercial from any other candidate during the debate. I guess it's Fox News policy not to do that during debates. And let's not forget that Fox News is biased against Ron Paul so it's unlikely that they would give him airtime in 2008. Also I have not seen any Ron Paul commercials anywhere else and have not heard that Ron Paul's campaign has even created a commercial.

Ron Paul had a rally to go to after the debate. It was posted at ronpaul2008.com . I heard that he was scheduled to be the last candidate to be interviewed after the debate so that would have caused him to arrive late at his rally. I guess that was why he had to decline the interview.

cheapgunpartscom
01-11-2008, 08:07 PM
I agree with you that he needs to slow down...however don't forget that all candidates have 30 seconds, a minute or two to speak...so pausing and speaking slowly may cause them to not say everything they want to say.

I didn't see any commercial from any other candidate during the debate. I guess it's Fox News policy not to do that during debates. And let's not forget that Fox News is biased against Ron Paul so it's unlikely that they would give him airtime in 2008. Also I have not seen any Ron Paul commercials anywhere else and have not heard that Ron Paul's campaign has even created a commercial.

Ron Paul had a rally to go to after the debate. It was posted at ronpaul2008.com . I heard that he was scheduled to be the last candidate to be interviewed after the debate so that would have caused him to arrive late at his rally. I guess that was why he had to decline the interview.

There was one commercial (Rudy?) (I forget who) and it blew me away to realize how valuable that could have been for ron

Then be late for the rally...that tv time was more important than a rally for people who already want him. I really wonder how qualified his manager is.

Enzo
01-11-2008, 08:15 PM
I think they turned down his volume on purpose.

He had no trouble hearing anything else in the debate.

canadianforronpaul
01-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Not using fox's airtime to his advantage after the debate was crazy. Here all the supporters are fighting to get him in the debates, then he goes to a rally after the debate when he could have spoken to millions? I've seen him on post-debate interviews with Hannity before, Paul was awesome - he punks Hannity all the time and that has got to make the fox sheep take notice and think twice! He does need to slow down too, finish one sentence before starting two more.

Logistics
01-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Very good post, sir..Does anybody close to him reads the forums?

I agree with everything you said. He needs to channel that anger and use it against them; You cant show how tense you are up there.

Ron is angry for obvious reasons though and im sure we cant imagine what its like being on stage with a bunch of idiots who like to make jokes. Other than all that he always does an amazing job at these debates!!

A. Havnes
01-11-2008, 09:44 PM
I agree with you in that Ron Paul's answers tend to fly out of his mouth faster than most people can let the words soak in, but he only has a short amount of time. While Fred Thompson's answers were slow, they didn't contain half the information of Ron Paul's answers. He tries to put a lot of information into a small segment, and it's difficult for him to condense his answers in a way that still makes sense even with half of the technical stuff thrown out.

Ron Paul did a great job of standing up for himself, though. Fox was very biased against him and they were trying to stumble him up and finish him off, and Ron Paul gave witty answers that turned back at them - a very wise move.

itshappening
01-11-2008, 09:46 PM
the reason he speaks at a million miles per hour is because, sadly, he knows that they will cut him off.

in this debate he was afforded an incredible level of courtesy that he wouldnt of expected from Fox, he got to speak uninterupted and yeah he could have been slower this time as he was given the time but he's done like 5 of these and each time they have rigidly stuck to 30 seconds or 90 seconds every 25 minutes, interuptions etc. whereas someone like Thompson, Romney and Guiliani are allowed to seemingly ramble on at great length with many more turns so they haven't had to worry about getting cut off

FreeTraveler
01-11-2008, 09:56 PM
There was one commercial (Rudy?) (I forget who) and it blew me away to realize how valuable that could have been for ron

Then be late for the rally...that tv time was more important than a rally for people who already want him. I really wonder how qualified his manager is.

Since you're new here, you don't understand the good doctor yet. There's no way he would make his supporters wait after promising to be somewhere, just so some a$$hat can try to stab him in the back again. If there had been a possibility of good face time (Blitzer or Cafferty, perhaps) he would have stayed and made his apologies to the troops; they would have understood that. Fox is another story.

electronicmaji
01-11-2008, 10:01 PM
1. All the candidates had in ear wireless headpieces. They muted the Doctor's one.