PDA

View Full Version : I assume Romney has done the math . . .

RoyalTenenbaum
01-11-2008, 09:01 AM
. . . and feels that he can get more votes than he'll lose by speaking so derisively to Ron Paul (e.g., stop reading the Ahmadinejad press releases). Or maybe he's so dismissive of the Paul campaign that he thinks there's nothing to insult.

But when he says things like that, he insults not only Paul, but he insults me and thousands of other voters who believe in his foreign policy, and who believe that all of this sabre rattling is not only pandering unbecoming of a presidential candidate, but directly contrary to our national security interest.

I don't know that I would so flippantly insult a group of people able to raise over $10 million in two days, with no central planning, and completely of their own accord.

It seems to me that a group like that would be able to organize a fairly effective write-in campaign if their candidate didn't receive the nomination, especially to avenge the disrespect heaped upon him. Then I guess we would really see which party's base Paul draws his support from.

BobTaft
01-11-2008, 09:05 AM
. . . and feels that he can get more votes than he'll lose by speaking so derisively to Ron Paul (e.g., stop reading the Ahmadinejad press releases). Or maybe he's so dismissive of the Paul campaign that he thinks there's nothing to insult.

But when he says things like that, he insults not only Paul, but he insults me and thousands of other voters who believe in his foreign policy, and who believe that all of this sabre rattling is not only pandering unbecoming of a presidential candidate, but directly contrary to our national security interest.

I don't know that I would so flippantly insult a group of people able to raise over $10 million in two days, with no central planning, and completely of their own accord.

It seems to me that a group like that would be able to organize a fairly effective write-in campaign if their candidate didn't receive the nomination, especially to avenge the disrespect heaped upon him. Then I guess we would really see which party's base Paul draws his support from.

The thing is, if anyone has anything to gain from what's remaining of the fiscal conservative wing of the GOP it's Romney. The others (excl Paul) are pandering to the evangelicals in some shape or form so you know they will be glad that his faith will turn off so many. Paul's the only one I've seen who's decried the soft bigotry in play against Romney right now.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-11-2008, 09:10 AM
I don't think he's good at math.

RoyalTenenbaum
01-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Paul's the only one I've seen who's decried the soft bigotry in play against Romney right now.

That's really true. I hadn't even thought of that. How's that for repayment!

I was thinking that it would be cool for Paul to spook them on the electability question, and say something like, "I think I'm electable in the Republican party, but everyone keeps asking me this. Maybe I should run third party and find out where my support comes from." Because we all know it's Republican, and we all know Paul could sink any candidate on the stage.

But Paul is too classy to do it.

But then I was thinking that you don't even need Paul to run if there is a grass-roots write in campaign. If we haven't shown anything else, we've shown that we can organize ourselves to great effect for a single task on a given day (i.e., vote in a certain poll, give money on such and such day).

Why the hell would you want to rankle the chains of a group like that? We've got to be bigger than the Nader movement, and he sunk Gore.

Dan Klaus
01-11-2008, 09:18 AM
he is truly one of the most arrogant candidates running..his derision of others (not just Paul) is just not the kind of personal qualities this country needs...IMO...

deedles
01-11-2008, 09:18 AM

I don't think Ron Paul is the only candidate Romney has done that to... and Huckabee does it.. they all do it. We just notice it more because we are so protective of DRP. It's childishness and in my perspective they only diminish themselves when they engage in that. DRP takes the high road and looks the better for it.