PDA

View Full Version : Can't find any news on McCain's racial slur

Join The Paul Side
01-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Nothing on the net and I haven't heard anything on the news. I would have thought Muslims here in the USA would be outraged today and calling for his beheading (which would be OK with me ;) joke ). Would be a shame if this tragedy goes unreported by papers, internet, and the MSM. :(

mjp1025
01-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Imagine that....

jasonuher
01-11-2008, 08:43 AM
are we talking about "muslims only trading in Burkhas(sp?)" ?

I thought it was crass.

RonPaulFTFW
01-11-2008, 08:48 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/10/AR2008011004007.html?hpid=topnews

Join The Paul Side
01-11-2008, 08:48 AM
are we talking about "muslims only trading in Burkhas(sp?)" ?

I thought it was crass.

Yes the Burka comment and the one way ticket comment.

ape
01-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Ron talks about trading with muslims and mccain responds by saying he doesn't trade with al qaeda? this should be all over the news considering mccain just won NH. Pathetic.

NorwegianLibertarian
01-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Here in Europe that would have made headline news everywhere, and McCain would have been labeled as a right wing racist. In France they would have rioted in the streets and burned cars if a french presidential candidate said those things.

Join The Paul Side
01-11-2008, 08:51 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/10/AR2008011004007.html?hpid=topnews

Thanks for the link but I'm most interested to hear/read commentation condemning what he said. ;)

JSutter
01-11-2008, 08:55 AM
I think someone needs to make a commercial with those comments in it and get it on the air in Michigan ASAP because there is a huge population of immigrants there from the Middle East that have went through the process to become naturalized American citizens and I think they'd take those comments as a huge slap in the face.

smoke.stack
01-11-2008, 09:38 AM
wait a second!

the artcile says this

On foreign policy, several candidates sharply criticized Paul, who called for the end of U.S. involvement in Iraq and criticized U.S. foreign policy in other areas. Asked about his supporters view that the United States was complicit in the Sept. 11 attacks, he said: "I've abandoned those viewpoints. I don't believe that."

I don't remember him saying it like that.. can someone confirm.. i thought he said something else.

jasonuher
01-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Here in Europe that would have made headline news everywhere, and McCain would have been labeled as a right wing racist. In France they would have rioted in the streets and burned cars if a french presidential candidate said those things.

I'm soooooo glad that Europeans are so much better than Americans... you know that Nationalism is just as bad as racism right?

peznex
01-11-2008, 09:41 AM
He also called Hannity and Colmes "jerks" which is funny but totally uncalled for on National Television. I am surprised that alot of people missed it.

jasonuher
01-11-2008, 09:43 AM
wait a second!

the artcile says this

On foreign policy, several candidates sharply criticized Paul, who called for the end of U.S. involvement in Iraq and criticized U.S. foreign policy in other areas. Asked about his supporters view that the United States was complicit in the Sept. 11 attacks, he said: "I've abandoned those viewpoints. I don't believe that."

I don't remember him saying it like that.. can someone confirm.. i thought he said something else.

Unfortunately, he said that; it made me cringe. It had to do with the way the question was worded; it was something like "Would you call for the truthers to abandon those viewpoints" or something. He did alot better then I would have in the heat of the moment, but the right answer was "No, I wouldn't; but just because I don't believe it happened doesn't mean they have to".

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20; and his response was still good.

A. Havnes
01-11-2008, 09:44 AM
But McCain's the comeback kid! The media can't start dissing him now! End of sarcasm.

NoMoreApathy
01-11-2008, 09:50 AM
I think someone needs to make a commercial with those comments in it and get it on the air in Michigan ASAP because there is a huge population of immigrants there from the Middle East that have went through the process to become naturalized American citizens and I think they'd take those comments as a huge slap in the face.

Yeah, why not, right?

I mean, Ron's going on the offensive a bit here now, so it would be a great idea to target McCain in an ad about the 100 years, and the trading in Burkas comment.

It's time to start making a real PUSH now!

dawnbt
01-11-2008, 09:53 AM
But McCain responded that he disagreed with Paulís approach. ďI am not interested in trading with Al Qaeda, all they want to trade is burqas. I donít want to travel with them, they like one-way tickets,Ē he said to shouts of approval

htt p://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/01/11/gop-candidates-debate-in-strategic-state-of-south-carolina/

Joe3113
01-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Yeah, why not, right?

I mean, Ron's going on the offensive a bit here now, so it would be a great idea to target McCain in an ad about the 100 years, and the trading in Burkas comment.

and the bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran

dawnbt
01-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah, why not, right?

We need one of our master video editors to get on this asap! Youtube!!

Ira Aten
01-11-2008, 09:59 AM
You guys caught a GREAT point. Both Thompson and McCain proved they are unable to serve as commander in chief, unless our goal is to kill every Muslim in the Middle East. I don't think that is the course we really want.

We just want them to leave us alone here. How about we come home?

Making comments like Thompson did (gonna see those virgins they want so badly to see) and McCains condescending comment (all they have to trade is Burkas) pretty well lost the Republican Party's chance to beat either Hillary or Obama.

People want OUT of Iraq, etc.

McCain is promising 100 years of war, and Thompson is prone to instigating the same type of continued struggle.

We need to get on the neocon talk shows, and make a HUGE issue of McCain's horse shit comment.

RoyalShock
01-11-2008, 09:59 AM
My thoughts on the McCain comments:

The racist angle isn't going to take root because he framed it in reference to Al-Quaeda.

I think the greater issue was his implication that trading with the Arab nations is tantamount to trading with Al-Quaeda. That is what should get people up in arms.

It's little slips like that which give us a peek into McCain's true view of the Middle East.

smoke.stack
01-11-2008, 10:00 AM
But McCain responded that he disagreed with Paulís approach. ďI am not interested in trading with Al Qaeda, all they want to trade is burqas. I donít want to travel with them, they like one-way tickets,Ē he said to shouts of approval

htt p://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/01/11/gop-candidates-debate-in-strategic-state-of-south-carolina/

but ron was not talking about trading with al qaeda.. he was talking about trading with muslims as a whole.. it is mccain who grouped peaceful muslims with al qaeda.. so i guess all muslims will be terrorists under his rule.

scbissler
01-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Unfortunately, he said that; it made me cringe. It had to do with the way the question was worded; it was something like "Would you call for the truthers to abandon those viewpoints" or something. He did alot better then I would have in the heat of the moment, but the right answer was "No, I wouldn't; but just because I don't believe it happened doesn't mean they have to".

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20; and his response was still good.

Yea, I too cringed when he said "abandoned". I knew he was just parroting the word that Cameron used but it would appear in print as if he once held those views.

scbissler
01-11-2008, 10:08 AM
He also called Hannity and Colmes "jerks" which is funny but totally uncalled for on National Television. I am surprised that alot of people missed it.

Where/when was this? I'd like to see it.

Enano1983
01-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Those quotes are correct but (of course) taken out of context.
The problem was that the question was not worded to ask him about his views, it was a ploy to get him to say something that would either force him to alienate his truther supporters or make himself look like a truther (which would enforce the idea of "nutjob") in people's minds).
I think he did a wonderful job at not only disarming the question but pointing out that this question was actually asked him at a time when the candidates were busy discussing ANOTHER issue. One of much more merit and that by asking him this question they were trying to once again censor his ideas.
Go RON!

>Transcript retrieved from South Carolina's "The State" webpage
(http://www.thestate.com/presidential-politics/story/281494.html) 1/11/2008 9:10am MST)
All emphasis added by Enano1983

CAMERON: Congressman Paul, many of your supporters call themselves 9/11 Troofers.[sic] They believe that the U.S. government was in some way complicit with the 9/11 attacks or covered it up.
Are you tonight prepared to either embrace that rhetoric or ask those supporters to abandon it, or divorce themselves from your candidacy?

PAUL: Well, I can't tell people what to do, but I've abandoned those viewpoints. I don't believe that, and that's the only thing that is important. And so I don't endorse anything they say.

But I would like to take an opportunity to talk about the issue that we've been debating here for the last 20 minutes...

CAMERON: Sir, would you ask them to cease that rhetoric tonight on your behalf?

PAUL: Well, it doesn't do me any good, so if they care about me, they should. But the only thing I have control over is what I believe and what I say. I can't tell them what to do. So I don't endorse what they say and I don't believe that, so, please, could I participate in the current debate rather than picking (ph) this out.
>End transcript

As you can see the "quote" the media is reporting about the truthers is actually pieced together across various sections.

Also on another note, I think Dr. Paul is right: Attention to the truther movement is not helping him any so if we do care about him we should drop it until after he's elected at least. I, personally, will stop talking about the *many* descrepancies involved with the 9/11 attacks... for the time being :)