PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul says door is slightly open for independent run

ReallyNow
01-11-2008, 04:00 AM
http://www.thestreet.com/s/ron-paul-needs-votes-more-than-cash/markets/marketfeatures/10398111.html

It's on the 2nd page, in the video with Rand Paul. Rand says it sounds like the door is slightly open for an independent run if the momentum keeps building.

The article also mentions the Jan 21 money bomb.

Drknows
01-11-2008, 04:02 AM
http://www.thestreet.com/s/ron-paul-needs-votes-more-than-cash/markets/marketfeatures/10398111.html

It's on the 2nd page, in the video with Rand Paul. Rand says it sounds like the door is slightly open for an independent run if the momentum keeps building.

The article also mentions the Jan 21 money bomb.

Yes its up to us. If we keep sending the money he will.

Joe3113
01-11-2008, 04:02 AM
hmmm.....interesting

Taco John
01-11-2008, 04:53 AM
This is why I've been arguing in favor of keeping up the money bombs. So long as we fund him, he'll keep pushing...

Now think about this: we are pulling roughly 10% of the vote in the elections we've been in - er, Dr. Paul has been in (it's "we" to me). So let's say that after February 5th, we, er, Dr. Paul has to bolt to the Libertarian party. The way he's built this coalition, it stands to reason that the support will transfer. All of a sudden, Democrats who have been shunning us because we are wearing the "Republican" label become intrigued. Surely we could pull 10% of the Democrat base to put a solid 20% behind us. With that kind of support, they would almost HAVE to let Dr. Paul into the presidential debates, and from there, the challenge will be simple: draw out another 8% from each party, or a total of 15% from either of them.

It's not fool proof, but it's not impossible either.

The best way that we know to fund this thing is through money bombs. If another method surfaces (I like the idea of an educational telethon), then let's do that... But until we REPLACE the number one political fundraising tool of all time, we should keep on using it until it fails us.

ReallyNow
01-11-2008, 04:57 AM
A Rudy vs. Hillary showdown would be best case scenario for us if Dr. Paul ran as an independent (of course a Paul vs. whomever would be ideal) since it would leave us as the clear anti-war choice. I think Obama vs. Repub really puts us at a disadvantage because of the "perception" that he is anti-war.

Talcott
01-11-2008, 04:57 AM
Good!

m72mc
01-11-2008, 05:09 AM
point is this, as long he aims for republican nom he cant say independent run

fact is it is about his message and he will continue to spread it as long we fund him.

and dont rule out an independent win

but leave that discussion for when it is needed, it can only hurt him now.

buffalokid777
01-11-2008, 05:16 AM
I hope he is open to a third party run....I'm in if RP is.......

The GOP is so corrupt, i feel dirty being registered as one....I have always been no party affiliation til now....only RP could make me dirty myself with becoming a party member.....

If RP is really considering going third party, then the strategy should be to use all money spent in gaining name recognition and informing the masses of his platform.

If this is the case, I will feel much better about the way the campaign has performed......

If they really want to win the GOP nomination, they better rethink strategy quick....because the strategy they have used so far is much more conducive to a third party run than a gop nomination.

Benaiah
01-11-2008, 05:22 AM
Paul would steal anti-war votes from Clinton, and pro-life & Christian votes from Romney or Giuliani.

Even if the media ignored him and didn't let him in debates, a third party run would be a nice way to get revenge and stick it to this GOP-- we'd steal enough votes from them so the Dem would win.

Also, remember the goal is to spread the message of freedom for as long as possible.

Talcott
01-11-2008, 05:45 AM
The enemy will draft bloomberg if Ron's Independant.

wisconsinite
01-11-2008, 05:47 AM
Now think about this: we are pulling roughly 10% of the vote in the elections we've been in - er, Dr. Paul has been in (it's "we" to me). So let's say that after February 5th, we, er, Dr. Paul has to bolt to the Libertarian party. The way he's built this coalition, it stands to reason that the support will transfer. All of a sudden, Democrats who have been shunning us because we are wearing the "Republican" label become intrigued. Surely we could pull 10% of the Democrat base to put a solid 20% behind us. .

Except your math is wrong. 10% of Republicans + 10% of Democrats is not 20% of the general population, it's only 10%.

With Republicans getting about 40% of total votes in IA and NH, 10% of Republican support would only give us 4% of the total vote. :(

Richandler
01-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Except your math is wrong. 10% of Republicans + 10% of Democrats is not 20% of the general population, it's only 10%.

With Republicans getting about 40% of total votes in IA and NH, 10% of Republican support would only give us 4% of the total vote. :(

If momentum keeps building...

Unforntunately it's the lame attitudes that we've been defeated that are not helping. We have to keep donating and spreading the good message of what Paul is offering.

NJ Carlos
01-11-2008, 06:00 AM
I'm in if Ron is in! Let's fight until the end!

Minuteman2008
01-11-2008, 06:28 AM
I think the best case scenario would be if Hillary wins the Dem nomination. That way Michael Bloomberg might get in the race too (he is seriously considering running as an Independent). So: Hillary vs. McRomney vs. Bloomberg vs. Paul.

The vote would seriously be spread around, and then you never know. Plus it gives RP more time to gain momentum, if that's possible in an independent run.

MN Patriot
01-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Notice on Ron's campaign website they are looking for 180,000 precinct captains? They only have about 5000 now. Super Tuesday is less than a month away, do you think they can attract 175,000 more precinct captains, get them organized, distribute literature, make phone calls, and have them all dominate the caucuses and primaries in a few short weeks?

Of course not.

I think this is the BIG PLAN that keeps getting mentioned, keep attracting more supporters until after the primaries are over, then make an independent run.

If Ron ran as a Libertarian, it would help to have a LP congressional candidate running in every district, plus the senate candidates in a third of the states, plus governors, ALL REPEATING THE SAME MESSAGE: LESS GOVERNMENT, MORE FREEDOM.

kushaze
01-11-2008, 06:44 AM
If Dr. Paul ever decided to run as independent I would like to have him run unaffiliated. The grassroots can get him on the ballots. I think I am done with the partisan BS.

losinglife
01-11-2008, 06:46 AM
stop spreading this garbage. It hurts our CURRENT run for REPUBLICAN ELECT

dirknb@hotmail.com
01-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Running in a third party would be a mistake. If he doesn't get the Republican nomination he would be much better off as an Independent.

He has never ruled it out, and said he would remain in the race as long as we support him and raise money for him.

He is wisely riding the Repbulican Party as far as he can. He wouldn't be anywhere near where he is now if he had started as an Independent.

The rEVOLution is way, way bigger than the Republican Party and is not dependent on it.

Besides, if he doesn't get the Republican nomination most of us will write him in anyway. He may as well take that ball and run with it.

First things first, however.

defcreative
01-11-2008, 06:54 AM
This is mere speculation, I think we need to keep this to ourselves for now because it can only be counterproductive for the time being.

MN Patriot
01-11-2008, 06:54 AM
stop spreading this garbage. It hurts our CURRENT run for REPUBLICAN ELECT

How does it hurt anything? Nobody is even talking about him running as an independent or Libertarian. They mention it once in a while, but it is the least talked about thing from the simple smear-minded MSM.

And face it: Ron is a long shot at getting the Republican nomination. He would have a much better chance at winning the election as a Libertarian, than even getting nominated for the Republican party. He needs to recruit enough supporters in the next 3 weeks to win Super Tuesday, Not Going to Happen.

But as an independent, he has the rest of the year to recruit supporters.