PDA

View Full Version : Again - RP needs PROFESSIONAL marketing

ChooseLiberty
01-11-2008, 03:26 AM
Why?

Go ask 20 random voters to tell you the significance of the Gulf of Tonkin or even if they know what it is, do they know it was a pretense and how it relates to the Persian Gulf.

Ask 20 random voters how the Federal Reserve works.

Ask them how the Fed creates inflation.

I guarantee only 1 or 2 will have any clue. That 1 or 2 out of 20 are the only people that have any clue what Dr. Paul is talking about. The rest just see his mouth moving - he might as well be speaking Ancient Greek.

There's your 8-10% of the votes Dr. Paul gets in the primaries.

This must change somehow or that is the % he will get the rest of the campaign.

The campaign MUST hire marketing professionals. EOM.

Psych0t
01-11-2008, 03:42 AM
I agree. Paul is too smart for the average American citizen. Now, I'm not saying that we're better than everyone else, but he needs to appeal to people with different mindsets.

defcreative
01-11-2008, 03:45 AM
Yeah, I agree too. We need some better campaign management.

He needs to crack into some of that 20M in order to hire some real talented professionals.

american empire
01-11-2008, 03:54 AM
and do what lie?........seriously thats the only way the slick campaigners know how to do the business.....sigh...you guys just don't get it....or the man......I am glad you get the message though.....

SuMuKong
01-11-2008, 04:00 AM
and do what lie?........seriously thats the only way the slick campaigners know how to do the business.....sigh...you guys just don't get it....or the man......I am glad you get the message though.....

You don't have to lie to bring your message to the masses. One of the biggest problems is that RP talks about complex problems, but only has thirty-seconds to talk about them.

I consider myself to be relatively well-educated, but frankly, a lot of the stuff that he talks about leaves me scratching my head!

A good marketing agent will tell you how to capture your message in a way that everyone understands, and that's what we need to do.

american empire
01-11-2008, 04:02 AM
what makes you scratch your head and whats the level of your education...I know this sounds personal but I am gauging what we are up against.....no offense intended

american empire
01-11-2008, 04:03 AM
and yes did you vote for Bush and were you for the war....these two are also key in understanding the scratching of the head.....

SuMuKong
01-11-2008, 04:17 AM
what makes you scratch your head and whats the level of your education...I know this sounds personal but I am gauging what we are up against.....no offense intended

No problem, I don't take it personally :) I've been educated at two ivy-league institutions, both in quantitative disciplines and in law.

There are a number of strong assumptions that RP makes. Of course, everyone makes strong assumptions, but RP is obviously not afraid to say what's on his mind, so it's easier to identify the more confusing/puzzling assumptions.

For example:

(1) RP relies heavily on Austrian economics to support his stance on the Gold Standard, etc. Although I know the elementary differences between, say, Keynesian and Hayek thought, I'd really like to know more about differences. But that would require a long time of study mucking around in economic texts (as well as current academic literature), which is frankly impossible.

(2) Strict constitutionalism. Not nearly as simple a topic as it sounds, and RP takes a stricter approach to the constitution than even the most conservative supreme court justices take.

And so forth and so forth. RP raises many interesting issues to the forefront of political discourse. This is very refreshing, and this is also why I like him very much as a candidate.

But these are also issues that require in-depth analysis and critique, and these issues frankly take on a heavily academic flavor. That is good, to a certain extent, in the sense that more information is good. But the flipside is that if you start lecturing on a topic like, say, the Federal Reserve, there will be some people (including me) who will instinctively yawn. Finding the "sweetspot" of the libertarian message that resonates with people, yet remains true to libertarianism, is what professional marketeers could do for us.

JohnDevilman
01-11-2008, 05:04 AM
I agree but will also admit that he's raised my awareness to these and other issues. Like it's been said, "Ron Paul cured my apathy". I spend day and night devouring all the information I can on the issues he addresses so that I might better carry his messages to people and answer whatever questions they might have from them. Hopefully, the spark of interest is left in them and they will spend as much time as I have doing their research and will realize Ron Paul's the only real choice for president in 2008.

Shaun
01-11-2008, 05:37 AM
As I have said a number of times, there is a HUGE difference between perception and reality. Ron is very real and very solid, however what wins elections is a combination of warmth, appeal and communicating in language that DUMB people can understand.
He's way too smart for the electorate. That's the main issue.
Face it, in 2000 America elected a monkey for Prez.

the Winner is (R0N P@uL)
01-11-2008, 05:42 AM
NameBrands always sell better

Ron Paul needs to become a "household name"

ButchHowdy
01-11-2008, 06:01 AM
I agree but will also admit that he's raised my awareness to these and other issues. Like it's been said, "Ron Paul cured my apathy". I spend day and night devouring all the information I can on the issues he addresses so that I might better carry his messages to people and answer whatever questions they might have from them. Hopefully, the spark of interest is left in them and they will spend as much time as I have doing their research and will realize Ron Paul's the only real choice for president in 2008.

Agreed!

Saying 'Gulf Of Tonkin' was was a much better than saying FALSE FLAG ATTACK.

Plus, we need to appreciate not only what he says but how he CONTROLS himself and holds back what he'd really like to say!

luvthedoc08
01-11-2008, 06:15 AM
WOW he is really letting them have it these last 2 days, i love the new aggressive RP, i think he should keep this up and relentlessly push these issues to make the other candidates look like fools who can't argue with him on his level; while at the same time educating more and more people as to what is ACTUALLY happening in our country.

His unique way of speaking truth to power is his biggest boon to me, i think a washed-down marketed approach to his message is disingenuous and would lose him that special RP spark that we've all come to know and love.

ChooseLiberty
01-11-2008, 09:53 AM
It's great how RP raises everyone's awareness. But most Americans may not have the time or inclination to study Austrian economics or turn themselves into Constitutional scholars before their primary.

Hannity and Snuffalupagus have both said he cannot win. Why? They know the inclination of most Americans. Not good. Most of America is trained in simple concepts and an us v. them mentality fostered by sports. Think high school. That's how an imbecile like McCain can make an insane generalization that implies all muslims are terrorists and click with a large segment of the population. BTW, you know McCain didn't just think that up on the spot. He'd been waiting for an opportunity to use it and it was probably given to him by some political adviser and might have even had it tested on a focus group.

So is RP in it to raise awareness and educate or is he in it to win?