PDA

View Full Version : Fox Stock Bomb!!!!

donttreadonme
01-11-2008, 12:42 AM

BlutStein
01-11-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm not fox lover here but are plans like this even legal? I really don't know much about stocks and all so I might be jumping the gun here.

UK4Paul
01-11-2008, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't recommend that, but I've been hearing rumors all across the Internet of News Corp stocks dropping... some of those rumors get to blogs very quickly...

Noleader
01-11-2008, 12:47 AM
I'm not fox lover here but are plans like this even legal? I really don't know much about stocks and all so I might be jumping the gun here.

It is legal but first off one would have to figure out how much stock is actually out there (make sure 15M could dent them). Second we would end up driving up prices as we pulled 15M of stock off the market. Third when we did sell it there is no promise that it would reduce the price... it could actually cause a rally to buy the stock as we dumped it.

Not the best idea.

alexpasch
01-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Essentially no effect. Very dubious legality as well.

Abyss
01-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Even if it is legal, I doubt that we're gonna get enough people to buy $15M dollars worth.

That money would be better donated to Dr Paul.

donttreadonme
01-11-2008, 12:49 AM
It is legal but first off one would have to figure out how much stock is actually out there (make sure 15M could dent them). Second we would end up driving up prices as we pulled 15M of stock off the market. Third when we did sell it there is no promise that it would reduce the price... it could actually cause a rally to buy the stock as we dumped it.

Not the best idea.

Well thats the educated opinion I was seeking

Ron2Win
01-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Nope, it's market cap is like 60 billion. So it's like fighting a Aircraft carrier with a Cesna plane.

rockandrollsouls
01-11-2008, 12:50 AM
Not only that, you could be screwing a ton of potential buyers of the security; honest people investing could be damaged from such a scam...The good doctor would not support that.

alexpasch
01-11-2008, 12:51 AM

Not the best idea.

Are you a securities lawyer? How do you know it's legal?

I would argue that this seems highly suspect on legal terms...(not to mention it's a moot point because it's a pointless exercise that won't affect the stock in any significant way whatsoever)

Apparition
01-11-2008, 12:52 AM
ok... this idea is just laughable.
first of all... the stock took a big hit... and the last thing we'd want to do is drive it back up again so that the real stock owners can cash out and recover their money.... then there's going to be the many of you who are stuck on the losing end.

come on people..... use your heads.

PimpBlimp
01-11-2008, 12:53 AM
How about we buy 10% of the company and have a say on the board of directors.

Someone could set up a mutual fund or something.

Ryokucha
01-11-2008, 12:54 AM
plus you would be the one losing money not faux, you would be buying it high, and selling it low...

Runnerguy
01-11-2008, 12:54 AM
No. If you want to hurt them and not have your braincells slowly die, Don't buy from there advertisers(let them know why) and don't watch Fox.

Richandler
01-11-2008, 12:55 AM
How about we stop watching them. And refuse to go to there website in effort to make sure they make less money. They are going to have a hard time in the economy.

yaz
01-11-2008, 12:55 AM
ok... this idea is just laughable.
first of all... the stock took a big hit... and the last thing we'd want to do is drive it back up again so that the real stock owners can cash out and recover their money.... then there's going to be the many of you who are stuck on the losing end.

come on people..... use your heads.

+1

Karmus
01-11-2008, 01:05 AM
the question i would have is whether or not you can make public your intent to purchase and sell stocks on such a large quantity. Because if we were allowed to speak openly about our intent to do this, we could make it known that we were going to purchase say 15mil worth of stocks, which would cause possibly other people to buy at that time, which would drive up the price of the stock, then if we sell the stock, which is now at a price higher than 15mil due to the residual purchasing after our purchase, and then let everyone know we were dumping the stock, other people would follow suit in order to preserve their gains on the stock and to get out before the stock prices plummets.

However, I doubt this is legal at all. Just pure speculation.

ps i sure can say stock alot in one post.

Noleader
01-11-2008, 01:07 AM
Are you a securities lawyer? How do you know it's legal?

I would argue that this seems highly suspect on legal terms...(not to mention it's a moot point because it's a pointless exercise that won't affect the stock in any significant way whatsoever)

It is not moral, nor is it wise business move, but as for legal there is not one law on the books to block us from doing it. It is done day in and day out with smaller businesses (basically a hostile takeover). That is why companies work so hard to get a large market cap out there so they are better protected from this kind of underhand business pratice.

The only time it starts to tread on in to legal issues is when you join with other companies to conspire to undermind a competitors stock prices in order to kill competition and form or keep a monopoly on the market.

No I am not a securities lawyer but I am quite versed in law for many other reasons.

Derek Johnson
01-11-2008, 01:08 AM
"...why should we not be talking about foreign policy that used to be part of the Republican party? Mr. Republican Robert Taft didn't even want us to be in NATO, and you're saying now that we should continue to borrow money from China to finance this empire that we CAN'T AFFORD?!

Let me see if I get this right....

We borrow 10 billion dollars from China and then we give it to [Gen. Pervez] Musharraf, who is a military dictator, who overthrew an elected government, and then we go to war? We loose all the lives promoting democracy IN IRAQ?!

I mean, what's going on here?

And you're saying that this isn't appealing to Republicans? Where did this come about? I think this is a Republican message, I defend the platform. We used to say 'get rid of the department of education'. It does not say that now. Now Republicans double the size of the department of education, so, WHERE HAVE WE GONE?!

I think we have lost our way. And you make the insinuation that I am less Republican?"

Ron Paul
Jan 10, 2008

vote4ronpauleeze
01-11-2008, 01:16 AM
First of all, it would have a negligible effect due to how high the market capitalization of News Corp is...

Secondly, if enough money were brought into the equation to make a difference, it would drive the price UP like crazy. In fact, all of our good friends at Fox would gladly sell their shares to you as the price rises so fast.

Then when you decide to sell at once you would take the hit as you dump your shares at an artificially low price (one so low that they'd gladly buy them from you) and then the price would return to normal as they profit TWICE off of this plan.

Why not just spam the hell out of them and tie up their phone lines instead? Let's irritate the hell out of them.

PS: For those curious, this kind of investor trading happens ALL the time with penny stocks though.

alexpasch
01-11-2008, 01:21 AM
It is not moral, nor is it wise business move, but as for legal there is not one law on the books to block us from doing it. It is done day in and day out with smaller businesses (basically a hostile takeover). That is why companies work so hard to get a large market cap out there so they are better protected from this kind of underhand business pratice.

The only time it starts to tread on in to legal issues is when you join with other companies to conspire to undermind a competitors stock prices in order to kill competition and form or keep a monopoly on the market.

No I am not a securities lawyer but I am quite versed in law for many other reasons.

Umm...I think getting a large group of people together to target a company's stock with malintent at a specific time is in some way illegal.

It's attempted stock manipulation...

Andrew-Austin
01-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Artificially making this sudden drop, could cause a panic with the rest of Fox's share holders? A rumor would have to accompany it though, I dunno.

Dieseler
01-11-2008, 01:31 AM
15 million would not dent them, him, Rupert Murdoch, but If we were to collectively Boycott DirecTV by switching satellite companys, that could hurt him bad for a good long time.

Raider_ATO
01-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Nope, it's market cap is like 60 billion. So it's like fighting a Aircraft carrier with a Cesna plane.

Or a U.S. Destroyer with a speedboat. . .

peacemonger
01-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Dumping your shares for ideological purposes is fine and good.

Trading (buying and selling) for the purpose of stock price manipulation happens everyday but IT IS NOT LEGAL.

The SEC looks the other way when the big institutions do it but if a small time organization tries to do it, the SEC will crush them. Do not even talk like this.

Very very bad idea.

Dieseler
01-11-2008, 01:35 AM
But switching Satellite companys is perfectly legal, feel free to do that and encourage others as well.