PDA

View Full Version : My dad keeps telling me Dr. Paul is toooo honest

smartguy911
01-11-2008, 12:22 AM
My parents love Dr. Paul but at the same time they strongly believe he will not get the nomination. Reason - he is too honest and he cares about people. Honest people don't last too long.

He said even if he gets the nomination, Democrats or Republicans will not work with him. Basically he will not be able to accomplish anything if he is elected President. Both my parents are in their 50's.

I have no idea what to say to that.

Psych0t
01-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Do your parents like being lied to?

gracebkr
01-11-2008, 12:23 AM
My parents love Dr. Paul but at the same time they strongly believe he will not get the nomination. Reason - he is too honest and he cares about people. Honest people don't last too long.

He said even if he gets the nomination, Democrats or Republicans will not work with him. Basically he will not be able to accomplish anything if he is elected President. Both my parents are in their 50's.

Remind them Jesus was honest and has been Lord and Savior for 2,000 years.

Joe3113
The truth shall set you free

literatim
1. Veto.
2. Bring troops home and save us $1 trillion per year.

Seems like a lot to me.

Also inform them that there are about a dozen Ron Paul Republicans running for House and Senate seats right now. :)

angrydragon
01-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Tell them it's a good thing, government won't be able to get bigger then.

FrankRep
01-11-2008, 12:24 AM
We need someone to rock the boat!

markj
01-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Remind them Jesus was honest and has been Lord and Savior for 2,000 years.

If they are Christians then http://www.pcsincnet.com/graemlins/th_thumbsup.gif

LFOD
"getting things done" means doing *less*

spend less
war less
spy less

VETO VETO VETO VETO

It'd be the best thing for the country. Stop the power-mad freaks from stealing our money to vote themselves back into office for once.

bergstrom
Dr No's vote carries more weight when attached to the veto, as literatim said.

Also, he gets to make appointments. And thats also why we have to push other candidates into congress, and actively write our congressmen.

It wouldn't be Paul alone.

Richandler
01-11-2008, 12:27 AM
1. Veto.

Seems like a lot to me.

Also inform them that there are about a dozen Ron Paul Republicans running for House and Senate seats right now. :)

That's all he needs right there.

GodOfThunder
01-11-2008, 12:27 AM
GOOD!!!
A government that's not doing anything is a government that's not screwing us anymore.

The fact is, a lot of the stuff Ron Paul wants to do won't get done because Congress won't support it.
BUT, I also know that a lot of the stupid crap the Republicans and Democrats in Congress want to do won't get done either!

Think about it. Ron Paul will veto any crappy bill that comes to his desk. The only way a bill will pass with President Paul in office is if either:
A: President Paul agrees with it.
or
B: 2/3rds of Congress agrees with it.

Either way, we're in much better shape than we are now.

Roadrcr
01-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Well the ONLY good thing about bush is that he put in soo many laws that lets him do whatever he wants .. After Paul fixes shit he can repeal all these laws =)

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-11-2008, 12:29 AM

I convinced my parents to vote for Harry Browne. I wouldn't say they loved him, either. They liked his policies after they were thoughtfully explained.

If I got Browne 2 votes, you can get Paul 2 votes, and maybe some of their friends once you've convinced them.

I had to sell my parents on libertarian philosophy. Maybe you can.

MessyTessy
We need someone to rock the boat!

Unfortunately I think your Dad is correct. Politics is a filthy game and he just can't get down in the mud and play with the other kids. My only hope is that people will somehow be able to have the vision to see the real man mixed in with the boys.

I really hope that type of bullying and blatant disrespect will anger South Carolinians....did you see during the focus group that Luntz asked everyone if they thought he should be in the debate? They all said yes. Christian voters should be all about treating people fairly and with respect....lets see if they are.

peacemonger
Dr. No doesn't have to work with anybody. Dr. No is all about the VETO. Any bill put forth by Congress that is unconstitutional would be KILLED by President Paul.

When Govt is out of control, the VETO is a policy all by itself. At best, we will save tonnes of cash for the American people. At worst, the Democrats and Republicans will have to come together if they want to get anything passed. The challenge of overcoming Dr.No's veto will force major changes in both parties.

hawks4ronpaul
1. Paul can stop undeclared wars and order troop withdrawals. Congress will look bad if it does not fund the troops.

2. Paul can do a lot to shrink government with executive orders and administrative law in domestic law (blowback to Congress for empowering the executive); IRS audits, EPA fines, warrantless domestic surveillance.

3. Paul can block the growth of government for 4-8 years with vetoes.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com

Highstreet

This honest man has lasted 30 years, and continually gets re-elected. They shouldn't worry.

The Congress HAS to work WITH the president. That is the reality of the system. There is a recent Morning Joe clip talking to Paul where Scaraborough, a former congressman, says that because of the fundraising Paul is finding MANY new friends in Congress where he was a pariah before.

Apparition
01-11-2008, 12:30 AM
my parents hated ron paul last year.. i've talked to them and debated with my father for quite some time, and now the only issues they disagree with him is on the war as they are still tied into the thinking that we are in a religious war with islam (who wants to kill us all because we are americans)....

however, I did notice that in the debate my father was actually agreeing with this lines about the gulf of tonkin incident... and agreeing about letting israel stand up for themselves... and really hit home with the borrowing from china, giving to musharaff, and defendig democracy in iraq...... basically, he's starting to agree with RP's foreign policy without realizing he agrees.

the truth is a powerful thing.. and as well, my father also admitted that he might be a little racist towards arabs. oh, and he's 64 years old...

my dad was one of the biggest bush supporters so I think that if the message is getting even to him, we might have a chance across the board... just sayin'. =)

Perry
01-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Honest people don't last too long.

Honest people don't last long? The man is 73. Position means nothing. Honesty means everything.

RoyalShock
01-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Tell them that the threat of veto can effectively strongarm the Congress into at least some cooperation.

I can almost guarantee you that we'd get four balanced budgets, each with increased reductions in spending.

That, combined with pulling our military back on our own soil would be enough to make him one of the greatest presidents in recent U.S. history.

smartguy911
01-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Do your parents like being lied to?

no no..they are just basing it on the way the public is reacting so far in the polls. My parents would love to see Dr. Paul as president but they are just worried that the avg citizen so far is responding in a negative way towards Dr. Paul. Especially during the debate, they didn't understand why people were laughing and later Frank called him a "loser". Also, he wasn't at the post debate interview with H&C.

hardcore Ron Paul supporters understand everything but I am worried about people who get all their information on candidates by watching debates and news update on tv.

literatim
01-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Ron with the veto pen will be awesome. All those spending and rights violating bills that sunset will never get signed back into law with him there.

lasenorita
01-11-2008, 12:40 AM
My grandfather says the same thing. He's voting for him anyways. :D

smartguy911
01-11-2008, 12:40 AM
1. Veto.

Seems like a lot to me.

I did tell him that :D

sasha_2008
01-11-2008, 12:41 AM
He said even if he gets the nomination, Democrats or Republicans will not work with him. Basically he will not be able to accomplish anything if he is elected President.

Good then unconstitutional departments don't get funded and close; and more unconstitutional laws don't get passed. Works for me. ;)

gracebkr
01-11-2008, 12:44 AM
no no..they are just basing it on the way the public is reacting so far in the polls. My parents would love to see Dr. Paul as president but they are just worried that the avg citizen so far is responding in a negative way towards Dr. Paul. Especially during the debate, they didn't understand why people were laughing and later Frank called him a "loser". Also, he wasn't at the post debate interview with H&C.

hardcore Ron Paul supporters understand everything but I am worried about people who get all their information on candidates by watching debates and news update on tv.

Explain to your parents about propaganda. It is very powerful and was used to convince people to marginalize the Jews which led to the Holocaust. Now if they are knowingly going to let the propaganda dictate their votes then what does that say about their honesty? Tell them that when they were laughing at RON PAUL, they were laughing at US! Don't fall for the peer pressure.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Especially during the debate, they didn't understand why people were laughing and later Frank called him a "loser".

To some extent, humans are programmed to work in groups, and look to each other for cues. It's a natural reaction, and one that's served us pretty well. We all help each other to survive.

There are studies where someone needs help on a busy street, or with a big group of people walking by. If everybody else acts like it's no big deal, nobody helps. We have so many things to think about, we sometimes look to others and assume their opinion of the happenings around us as their own.

It sounds like you need to convince them there there's a large contingent of people who agree with Paul, and think the behavior of the other candidates is not becoming of a presidential field. It's also the truth. Talk about the fundraising. Show Google trends.

Allen72289
01-11-2008, 12:48 AM
1. Veto.

Seems like a lot to me.

Yes.. he has the ability to vet any bill that lacks less than 2/3rd of the congressional vote, that's a lot of taxes we could save!!!

And yes he can move the arm forces where he wants, saving us 1 trillion a year!

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html

Honest people accomplish more in life, bush is a prime example.. the last name bush is now ruined.

We will no longer see the name bush in politics.

Caravello
01-11-2008, 12:49 AM
They are probably likening him to Jimmy Carter. Carter was also considered "too nice."

Who knows. All I know is like the man.

riviera1992
01-11-2008, 12:52 AM
"I have no idea what to say to that."

Ask if any other President got anything done in congress?

Naraku
01-11-2008, 12:53 AM
I think your parents are missing the big picture. Every President has a profound impact on their party. Just look back through history and you'll see what I mean. Ron Paul would be no different.

Broadlighter
01-11-2008, 12:56 AM
I'm 49 years old and I've been waiting for a candidate like Ron Paul. We've tried all the other crap, why not give honesty an honest chance?

Dieseler
01-11-2008, 01:05 AM
Dr No's vote carries more weight when attached to the veto, as literatim said.

Also, he gets to make appointments. And thats also why we have to push other candidates into congress, and actively write our congressmen.

It wouldn't be Paul alone.

I bet Dr. Paul will appoint only cabinet members who DO NOT have dual citizenship in a foreign nation that is sucking us dry and dictating our every move across the board through out the world.

Hint hint.

Derek Johnson
01-11-2008, 01:07 AM

Tell your dad to grow a fucking pair.

ronpaulitician
01-11-2008, 01:08 AM
They're probably right. He's too honest to be a successful politician. Still, it's worth a shot.

Xenophage
01-11-2008, 01:19 AM

Ron Paul will accomplish MORE as President even if he doesn't do a single damn thing, JUST by being elected. It will change American politics quite dramatically.

But I tend to want to answer you like an Objectivist...

By not voting for the honest candidate, they're not being honest themselves. They either hold honesty as a virtue, or they don't. If they do, they cannot vote against the honest candidate without being hypocritical. If they don't hold honesty as a virtue, then I'd say that their philosophies are irrational and self-destructive. The proper identification of objective reality is fundamentally necessary in order to survive, and if you are willfully ignoring or distorting the truth then you're engaging in a self-destructive behavior pattern that undoubtedly carries over into other areas of your life.

Tell them to A - Quit being irrational fruitcakes and B - Grow some hair on their nuts

Andrew-Austin
01-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Sounds kinda cowardly to me.

Not to worry, my parents are just as bad.

Perhaps ask him what he thinks of honest Abe?

Computer
01-11-2008, 01:23 AM

What is this, Bizarro World?