PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Presidential Straw Poll

axiomata
07-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Just a heads up to my fellow Illinoisans:

On August 16th in Springfield the Illinois GOP will be hosting a straw poll. Unfortunately I will not be going but if there are any Paul supporters from central Illinois they should definitely make an appearance. Additionally, it might be a good idea to organize a caravan from Chicago through the suburbs down for the Illinois State Fair. I know Illinois is not exactly the bastion of the Republican party these days, but it is where it was born and a victory at the straw pull would be a great notch on Paul's campaign's belt.

More info is here: http://weareillinois.org/Connect/Detail/tabid/73/news_item_id/69/Default.aspx

iPhone
07-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Thank you for the info! It will not be easy on my schedule, but I'm going to start making arrangements for myself and encouraging others locally. Thanks again for the info!

Wyurm
07-28-2007, 11:20 PM
I am taking this day off from work and will be there, at least one of my meet-up members will be there as well. Are there any plans like a Ron Paul booth or anything?

iPhone
08-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Does anyone have any links to post that would help me understand what to expect there on the 16th. Is Ron Paul due to be there?

iPhone
08-04-2007, 09:46 PM
I'd really feel more comfortable with a response.:)

Wyurm
08-05-2007, 06:31 AM

I havent' been able to get any more info yet, as soon as I do, I'll post it.

Robert Johnson
08-05-2007, 07:09 PM

The Presidential Straw Poll will be conducted at the Illinois State Fair over an approximate five-hour period on Thursday, August 16, 2007, on the Director’s Lawn of the fairgrounds. All eligible Illinois voters are invited to participate.*To take part in the poll, an eligible Illinois voter must present a valid Illinois Driver’s License or State photo ID card.*This is to verify eligibility and prevent multiple voting.

I'd be more comfortable with knowing which "five-hour period." :rolleyes:

angelatc
08-06-2007, 02:41 PM
We were discussing this at our meet-up yesterday. What our meet up leader told me did not involve an appearance by Ron Paul. If it did, I'd be tempted to drive down. But since it's on a Thursday, we can't go.

What he did tell me is that the Springfield GOP is going to have a booth at the fair, and they are very open to any and all Republican candidates who want to use that booth to distribute literature. IN the least, they will have Ron Paul literature to hand out, but volunteers are encouraged to come work the booth, specifically handing out the information. (People are far more likely to take the information home if it is handed to them. If it is just displayed, they have a tendency to just look it over.)

http://weareillinois.org/Connect/EventDetail/tabid/75/mid/436/EVENT_ID_KEY/37/Default.aspx
links to the details on the Straw Poll.

To vote in the straw poll, you must be an Illinois resident at least 18 years or older by February 5, 2008 and you must present a valid Illinois Driver's License or Government-Issued Photo ID card with your current Illinois address. This is required to validate eligibility and prevent double voting.

Straw Poll voting is free of charge.

Presidential campaigns participating in the Illinois Republican Presidential Straw Poll are not charged a fee for their participation.

One of two requirements dictates a presidential candidate’s participation in the Illinois Republican Presidential Straw Poll: 1.) Polling above 5% in national, independent polls; or 2.) Having participated in any of the previous nationally televised debates in 2007.

Straw poll voting will take place on The Director's Lawn on the Illinois State Fairgrounds from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM

iPhone
08-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Thank you VERY much for the information. Thanks also for any additional details that may follow. THESE FORUMS ARE FANTASTIC.

angelatc
08-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I just read a blog by a nice Chicagoland couple who are looking forward to spending the day driving down so they can vote for Mitt.

That absolutely made me want to go.

Wyurm
08-08-2007, 11:06 PM
I just read a blog by a nice Chicagoland couple who are looking forward to spending the day driving down so they can vote for Mitt.

That absolutely made me want to go.

so, you're going then? :) I'll definitely be there, and I'll bring some literature with if it's needed as well. Also, 2 of my meet-up members say they will be there too

angelatc
08-14-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't think I can go. I do the financials for a non-profit and out annual meeting is Thursday. If I can get the annual report finished, I might email it to everybody and skip the meeting, (I'm a 100% not-paid volunteer.....). But that's a big IF.

From our MeetUp Organizer:

Exciting news, folks. I just spoke with Ron Paul 2008 Campaign Chairman Kent Snyder and he confirmed that he will be coming to the Illinois State Fair this Thursday for the Republican Day Straw Poll. (Unfortunately, Ron Paul is not able to attend). He will be there all day, but he will be addressing the crowd sometime between 1:00 and 2:00. He would also like to hold a meeting with all of us who are attending the Straw Poll after the results are announced, sometime around 5:00. Exact details regarding time and place will be determined and announced at the fair, immediately following the results announcement. This will be an excellent opportunity to get all your questions about the official campaign answered.

This straw poll is an excellent opportunity for us to show the Illinois GOP the strong support that Ron Paul has in this state. Please make every effort to come! Right now we have about 40 people signed up, which is good, but if we could double or triple that number it would be very impressive! Please come and encourage your friends and family to come. There probably won't be a huge number of people voting in this weekday poll, so every vote we can deliver will make a huge difference.

Let's plan to meet in the general vicinity of the Republican tent. Everybody will be arriving at a different time, but if we use the Republican tent as a base we should be able to find each other throughout the day.

Please bring any signs and flyers that you have! We really need to work this event hard, doing outreach to all the voters present. Many will be undecided and/or unaware of Ron Paul's message, so we need to deliver that message to them.

Remember, the voting will take place between 11:00 and 4:00, and you will need an Illinois drivers license or state photo ID to participate. The candidates or their representatives will be speaking between 1:00 and 2:00. Here is the complete schedule that I was provided:

11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Straw Poll (Located on Directors Lawn)

12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Luncheon on Director's Lawn (Anticipated program, with Elected Officials, starts at

approximately is 1:00 p.m.)

2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Private Events on/or near Fairgrounds

4:00 p.m. Straw Polls Close

4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Straw Poll Results (Beverages will be provided)

Look forward to seeing as many as possible of you in Springfield!

--
Joe Cesarone
Organizer, The Greater Chicago Ron Paul 2008 Meetup Group

axiomata
08-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Illinois Straw Poll

Heavy rain did not dampen the enthusiasm of Ron Paul supporters yesterday at the Illinois State Fair. Those supporters canvassed the fairgrounds introducing people to Ron Paul and asking them to vote in the straw poll held by the Illinois Republican Party. Voting started at 11:00 am and ended at 4:00 pm.

Their work paid off! Dr. Paul (18.87%) came in third behind Mitt Romney (40.35%) and Fred Thompson (19.96%). Giuliani (11.61%), McCain (4.12%), Huckabee (3.04%), Brownback (1.08%), Hunter (.65%), and Tancredo (.33%) rounded out the field.

A big "thank you" to the Ron Paul supporters who braved the rain and made yesterday's straw poll a success.

Kent Snyder

Not too shabby.